Advice for 2000pt Local tournament list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Advice for 2000pt Local tournament list

Post#1 » Nov 20 2017 06:00

Hi all,

So I've got an upcoming local tournament in a couple weeks and I've got a good idea for what I want to take for a 2000pt TAC list. However, what I'd love to get, is some insights on how to fine tune the list. You guys all have a much greater collective experience than I could hope to have! Tau have been my main army going way back to 3rd/4th edition and I played them through 6th & 7th, so I like to think I've got a good knowledge of my army and how they work, but I only have about 3 games under my belt for 8th.

Tournament rules of engagement: The tournament is 5 games with a mix of maelstrom/eternal war missions I don't know as of yet. From previous experience I think I can expect the relic and kill points to come up however the other missions tend to vary.
EDIT: The list must be made up of at least 1 Battalion detachment and up to 2 other detachments. Each detachment can only be used once. Forgeworld is allowed but only 500pts may be taken as forgeworld. First turn is decided by roll off with the player who finished deploying first getting a +1 to the roll.

Anyway, enough rambling from me, onto the list!

2000 point Tau Rapid Fire Reloaded list

Battalion, outrider, and supreme command (8CP)
HQ
Commander
Fusion blaster x 3
Shield generator

Commander
Fusion blaster x 3
Shield generator

Commander
Missile pod x 3
Advanced targeting system

Coldstar commander
High output Burst cannon
Missile pod
Shield generator

Coldstar commander
High output Burst cannon
Missile pod
Shield generator

Ethereal
Equalisers

Troops
Strike team x 5
Pulse rifles x 5

Strike team x 5
Pulse rifles x 5

Strike team x 5
Pulse rifles x 5

Breacher x 5
Pulse blasters x 5

Breacher x 5
Pulse blasters x 5

Elites
Crisis team
Plasma rifles x 9
5 gun drones

Stealth team
Stealth suit x 3
Burst cannons x 3
Drone controller
Locator Beacon

Fast attack
Pathfinders x 5
Markerlights x 5
Pulse carbines x 5

Pathfinders x 5
Markerlights x 5
Pulse carbines x 5

Pathfinders x 5
Markerlights x 5
Pulse carbines x 5

Gun drones x 5
Base - 40
Pulse carbines x 10 - 0

Gun drones x 5
Pulse carbines x 10

Y'vahra
Stimulant injector
Phased plasma flamer
Ionic discharge cannon
2 gun drones

So, the idea behind this list is to be able to handle a variety of opponents with objectives central to the game. The plan is to have a small "bunker" I can use to either hold a single point or spread out as I see fit along my backline. This will consist of the fire warriors, breachers, ethereal, pathfinders and the missile commander who will be used to enact a mont'ka or Kauyon. I can also start this with the Y'vahra and accompanying gun drone squads within the bunker to make use of "sense of stone". The breachers will either turtle up to defend from assault units, or head out to take some objectives. Everything else is fairly self explanatory! The main thing I was unsure of was whether or not to replace the ethereal with a fireblade. It's less defensive but with min squads leadership won't be much of an issue. I'll lose the 6+++ but the extra shots at close range might tip it in the FB favour. also, an extra marker at BS 2+ is awesome if I need to hit a certain marker bracket and am only 1 away.

The coldstar commanders will perhaps start on the board in the bunker as well but these guys will be my objective grabbers, harassment and general nuisance to the enemy. Might run these guys around with the Y'vahra.

The stealth team will be sitting on a midfield objective close to what I want the two tri-fusion commanders to hit. Failing that, they'll be another distraction/objective grabber. They also have a Drone controller to make them useful to link up with the Y'vahra "wound battery" drones. As usual, I'll be alpha striking with my Fusion bro commanders whatever choice targets I find.

The plasma crisis suits will be used as threat response to any elite infantry. These guys form part of the alpha strike and will probably use the likely 5 markerlights since they're the only alpha strike unit that really relies on them. After they drop, I'll run them round looking for choice targets or stray objectives.

The Y'vahra itself will be my sledgehammer. This is what I'll send after the biggest, meanest looking thing on the opponents side of the board. The idea is to keep this guy protected as much as possible so will start off with the 2 drone squads next to him, in addition to his 2 drones. Once he's jumped up the board the drones will advance after him which might get them within 3" of him. Otherwise I'll try to keep the crisis striking next to him to make use of their drones. I was unsure of whether to place some of the drones as accompaniment to the coldstar/fusion commanders so I'd have a more flexible/mobile drone wound battery for the Y'vahra, however this creates even more small squads which make easy kill points/first blood. With limited experience of using this guy, from what I can see, the best thing to do is to keep him alive. His damage output is insane and the longer he stays alive, the longer he's wiping out enemy units each turn.

As a last note, this list is based off models I own. I have a good amount of other models I could use like plenty more stealth suits, a ghostkeel, longstrike + 2 hammerheads(can make these devilfish), 10 kroot, more crisis, missilesides and some more strike teams. Sadly I don't have any flamers/CIB for the crisis or extra fusion for the commanders :-(

Anyway, that's the general plan/list. Any advice, tweaks or ideas will be greatly appreciated! If anything is unclear I'll do my best to explain/clarify.
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Advice for 2000pt Local tournament list

Post#2 » Nov 20 2017 08:23

Looks like a good start, but there are a few essential changes we need to make! The Y'vahra needs a Target Lock, you should give your Fusion Commanders Shield Drones, make sure your XV8s have the max number of Gun Drones (6x), and if you're planning to have the Ethereal accompany the Y'vahra you'll need a Hover Drone, probably. Also give the Y'vahra Shield Drones, not Gun Drones.

Also, a few things. Breachers make pretty poor objective holders, so if you're planning on taking infantry just so sit on objectives, I'd consider just doing 3x5 Fire Warriors and spending the rest on Drones. Also, you may want to consider some backup Markerlights in case your Pathfinders get hit early on.

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 21 2017 04:30

Thanks for the advice!

Looks like a good start, but there are a few essential changes we need to make! The Y'vahra needs a Target Lock, you should give your Fusion Commanders Shield Drones, make sure your XV8s have the max number of Gun Drones (6x), and if you're planning to have the Ethereal accompany the Y'vahra you'll need a Hover Drone, probably. Also give the Y'vahra Shield Drones, not Gun Drones.

I thought about the target lock for the Y'vahra, but I thought that the survivability was more important, plus for the first couple turns there should be the three markerlights to ignore the movement penalty. Dyou think the +1 to hit while moving is worth losing the survivability? I know the pathfinders are gunna proabably drop by turn 2 or 3 but I was thinking that by then I'd have had a good couple turns with 3 or more lights on the Y'vahra targets.

Unfortunately I'm lacking in more than 2 shield drones :::( Apologies I should have said I have limited drones! I thought that the fusion commanders having the Shield generators might help compensate along with clever positioning. I can also leap frog them or run my coldstars/crisis/Y'vahra in front of them if needs must. It's not ideal and I agree that it would be much better to just have more shield drones!

The drones with the crisis I'll try find a way to bump to 6, but again, a limited supply of drones and points may stop this :( The Ethereal is mostly there to buff the "bunker" via re-roll 1's and give the Y'vahra sense of stone for the first turn of incoming fire(I'm probably getting second turn with the drops I have!). What d'you think about the whole "Ethereal vs Fireblade" conundrum? I'm now leaning towards the fireblade for the extra shots and markerlight but I'm really not sure. RE: the Y'vahra drone situation, the same drone limitation applies :(

Also, a few things. Breachers make pretty poor objective holders, so if you're planning on taking infantry just so sit on objectives, I'd consider just doing 3x5 Fire Warriors and spending the rest on Drones. Also, you may want to consider some backup Markerlights in case your Pathfinders get hit early on.

I know the breachers are not the best at sitting on objectives but in a pinch they should suffice. After what you've said I think I'll redefine their role as a counterpunch to assault units that get to my gunline. Again, I know more drones are probably better(especially with a fireblade) given the weight of dice they have, but sadly model limitations are stopping more drone spam. As for backup markers I considered sticking them onto the 3 Strike team squads for 9 points. Probably dropping the Drone Controller from the stealth team(unlikely to get to use it and most of my drones are just wound batteries for my suits), and switching to the Fireblade gets me 9 points for the 3 extra markers.

Another quick thing is that the list submission is in 5 days so I've not enough time to source more drones :(

Thanks so much again for the advice!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 24 2017 10:15

Shas'O R'Kai wrote:I thought about the target lock for the Y'vahra, but I thought that the survivability was more important, plus for the first couple turns there should be the three markerlights to ignore the movement penalty. Dyou think the +1 to hit while moving is worth losing the survivability? I know the pathfinders are gunna proabably drop by turn 2 or 3 but I was thinking that by then I'd have had a good couple turns with 3 or more lights on the Y'vahra targets.

While I do not own a Y'vahra, it does seem to be the opinion of many Y'vahra players that using the Target Lock is the best way to go. The flamer weapon the Y'vahra carries obviously doesn't need it, but the other gun drops from BS4+ to BS5+ when it moves, severely decreasing the Y'vahra's damage output. Having such an expensive (400+ points!) model dependent on other units for its accuracy seems dangerous to me.[/quote]

Shas'O R'Kai wrote:Unfortunately I'm lacking in more than 2 shield drones :::( Apologies I should have said I have limited drones! I thought that the fusion commanders having the Shield generators might help compensate along with clever positioning. I can also leap frog them or run my coldstars/crisis/Y'vahra in front of them if needs must. It's not ideal and I agree that it would be much better to just have more shield drones!

The drones with the crisis I'll try find a way to bump to 6, but again, a limited supply of drones and points may stop this :( The Ethereal is mostly there to buff the "bunker" via re-roll 1's and give the Y'vahra sense of stone for the first turn of incoming fire(I'm probably getting second turn with the drops I have!). What d'you think about the whole "Ethereal vs Fireblade" conundrum? I'm now leaning towards the fireblade for the extra shots and markerlight but I'm really not sure. RE: the Y'vahra drone situation, the same drone limitation applies :(

I don't know how many Gun Drones you have, but here's a re-written list taking the Shield Drone issue into account:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Fusion Blasters, Shield Generator; 1x Gun Drone, 1x Shield Drone (163)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Fusion Blasters, Shield Generator; 1x Gun Drone, 1x Shield Drone (163)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missle Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missle Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Equalisers (46)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 5x Breachers (40)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Plasma Rifles; 6x Gun Drones (273)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (121)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (48)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (48)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Phased Plasma Flamer, Ionic Discharge Cannon, Target Lock, ATS (415)

Total: 2000 - CP: 8 (1 Supreme Command Detachment, 1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 05 2017 04:58

So the tournament has been and gone at the weekend just there. I ended up placing much much higher than I expected. Due to the meta being pretty darn hyper competitive/cheesy(brimstone spam, Guilleman etc.) I was mainly there just to have some fun with my favourite army. But I played pretty well and as I racked up a few wins I began to take the games more and more seriously.

Thanks a lot for your advice Arka, turns out making sure the crisis suits having 6 drones saved me dropping a suit more than once. It even helped keep my Y'Vahra alive better.

I'll give an overview for how it went! (not sure if this should go in the battle report section or not?)

Game 1:
My first game was against a beautifully painted Iyaden army. He featured a Wraithknight, a Nasty shooty Flyer, some jetbikes, lots of guardians with weapons platforms, several psykers, Howling Banshees in a serpent, Striking Scorpions, a Vyper, Wraithguard and a Fire Prism. The first game was The Relic with the main terrain being a big building in the middle where the relic was. I deployed my stealthteam on top of it from the get go. Made a bunker of Fire warriors, Pathfinders and drones with the Coldstars and Y'Vahra sitting close by. He deployed prettymuch in a big line with jetbikes, Vyper, the flyer, and the prism to the left, Psykers, Wraithknight, and the wave serpent/Banshees in the middle and a big line of Guardians to the right. He used a stratagem to Deep Strike the Wraithguard. I managed to get first turn.

Turn 1:
In my Turn 1 I immediately ran the Stealth team backwards out of sight and towards the back right of my lines. I declared mont'ka with my coldstars and advanced them up to the top right to engage some Guardians with shooting and charging to lock that down. One of them was my warlord. I did that because I knew I had to split his force up by using my Warlord as bait to let my Alpha units dismantle him one chunk at a time. The Y'Vahra advanced ontop of the Building where the Stealthteam was while the 10 Drones advanced forwards to screen the bunker. I pushed forward the gunline a bit to ensure maximum overwatch. The Y'vahra totally slagged the Wave Serpent and the Coldstars killed a good number of Guardians, but other than that I didn't kill much. I had a good hold of the relic and locked down 2 big guardian blobs while creating a really nice noose for him to hang himself in.

In his first turn he sped the flyer straight for my commanders while also dropping the Wraithguard on them, used the jetbikes to get to my pathfinders on the left flank, moved the Prism forward a bit and tried to swarm the commanders. The Scorpians popped out in front of my gunline and the Wraithknight moved up towards my gunline aswell. Because my Y'Vahra was in a building, apparently it cant be assaulted by the Waithknight. Just as I expected, he dropped a significant amount of his force up the top right and well out of the main fight which worked perfectly. He also commited a lot of his power units into the middle for charges exactly where my Y'Vahra could provide overwatch cover. He charged with the Wraithknight first, expecting to be able to easily withstand the overwatch and set about wrecking as many infantry as he could(them being the only ones able to take the relic). I did 16 wounds to it in overwatch. 5 of which was done with 10 fire warriors! It made combat, as did the scorpions, but only killed 2 5 man squads of Fire Warriors. He killed the Coldstars, half my Pathfinders and quite a few drones.

Turn 2:
I fell back with everything in combat, kept the Y'Vahra where it was because it was in range and still protected by the building. Stealthteam holding the relic ran even further away and out of sight. Moved the breachers up for a counterpunch to his Aspect warriors. Dropped all my held back alpha units. Missile commander went up the top of a spire in the middle of the board, Crisis suits dropped to the right of the board to keep the Wraithguard tied up and strung out the 6 drones with them to get to the Y'Vahra for Saviour Protocols. The Fusion commanders dropped middle right in range of his flyer. In shooting the Y'Vahra was deadly, killing the Wraithknight utterly. I killed off all but one of his Banshees, all but one Striking Scorpion and slagged the flyer and Vyper which had moved to the centre of the table by this point. Scratched the Wraithguard with the crisis, killing one.

His Turn 2 involved pushing everything, even the fire prism, towards my lines to try get line of sight on the relic. Thankfully only 2 jetbike units could manage that, and he ended up deciding he needed to kill my breachers with one of those squads, so the stealth team survived with no damage. Bit of a summary turn for him. Tried to hurt me with mind bullets, shot lots of things at my Y'Vahra but ultimately only killed a few drones of via Saviour protocols. He cleaned up more of my gunline too, while his wraithguard killed off 2 crisis suits.

Turn 3:
In turn 3 I managed to fully get my stealth team into cover and out of line of sight which kinda sealed the game. Nothing he had left had the movement to get to them. We kept playing to see how it would go. The Y'Vahra melted the fire prism, the broken gunline cleaned up his jetbikes and remaining 2 aspect warriors. My commanders wiped out his wraithguard. Only thing he had left was his psykers, and about 20 Guardians. He decided to not play out his last turn as he couldn't physically get any more points or kill anything else and we were already over time.

Final Result: Victory 4 points to 2.

So I got off to a pretty good start. The Y'Vahra paying for its points and then some. The psychological effect this thing has once you've let rip is brilliant. Most opponents panic and fire everything at it. If there are some drones there and you make sure to offer some really juicy targets then he might split off some heavy guns and your Saviour Protocols should handle the rest. Ultimately, getting this thing into range of a couple power units each turn will win most games. It just deletes entire units every turn. The commanders were excellent as expected and we kinda know how they go. My favourite variant is the coldstar. That 40" advance is insane and always catches people off guard and can make them make mistakes. MVP's of this game are probably the stealthsuits. Being able to snag that Relic turn one and fly away was game winning. Even if I got turn 2 He'd have had to divert a lot of shooting to them. Anyway, that's game 1. Game 2 will be posted soon.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 05 2017 09:49

What was the final list you ended up with? Curious to see what made it in.

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 06 2017 04:44

Hi Yojimbob,

The end list was very very similar to what I originally posted, just with some tweaks made after arka's advice!

List:
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Fusion Blasters, Shield Generator; (147)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Fusion Blasters, Shield Generator; (147)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 5 x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5 x Fire Warriors (40)
Troops - 5 x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Plasma Rifles; 6x Gun Drones (273)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (121)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Phased Plasma Flamer, Ionic Discharge Cannon, Stimulant Injectors, ATS (408)

I'll post the second game later on today hopefully!

Thanks,
R'Kai

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Dec 06 2017 05:06

Shas'O R'Kai wrote:Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Phased Plasma Flamer, Ionic Discharge Cannon, Stimulant Injectors, ATS (408)

I'm curious about this! Were you always able to keep 3 Markerlight hits on your target?

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 06 2017 06:43

Game 2:
Game 2 was a Maelstrom game where we kept our tactical objectives secret and have 3 at all times. Also, targets further than 18" take -1 to hit. We used Vanguard deployment.

After my first win I was feeling pretty confident, that was until I saw I was matched up with Astra Militarum... He brought Creed, 3 heavy weapon teams(1 las, 1 bolter, 1 autocannon), a psyker, 90-100 infantry with autocannons , 3 officers, 3 sentinals, Pask, 2 Tank commanders, some sort of artillery strike commander, and last but not least, a Shadowsword! After going through each others army, we set up. There were a good smattering of ruins/buildings across the battlefield with a forest on his side. He had set up in a very anti deep strike way(obviously after seeing me deepstrike with 3 commanders and the crisis team). His sentinels formed a wide perimeter at his front, covering the far left/right and the centre. Infantry occupied ruins where they could screen and heavy weapons teams sat in ruins/forest across the board. The two tank commanders sat at the back slightly to the left, with Pask right up the middle. His Shadowsword was off to the right with the psyker directly behind it. Lastly, Creed was placed on the right behind a really big blob of infantry.

I deployed most of my gunline in a Building to the left on an objective. The breachers sat just to the side and out of sight with the coldstars getting ready to Mont'ka. The pathfinders were kinda dotted about in the best cover I could see or on an objective. The stealthteam was off to my right in a building quite close to his blob, Shadowsword and characters. The Y'Vahra and the drones all deployed behind a small building, out of sight of the shadowsword. Everything else was in reserve. We rolled off and I got first turn.

Turn 1:
Immediately I called Mont'ka and advanced the breachers out towards his left to take out a sentinel and make a start on clearing a building with an objective in it. I advanced one of the coldstars up with the breachers and landed right behind a couple guardsman squads. The gunline shuffled a bit and the drones moved forward to get into position to fire, while the Y'Vahra stayed behind the building waiting for a more opportune moment. The Stealthteam moved up and dropped their beacon, letting me drop my two fusion commanders within 9 of his Shadowsword. I dropped my missile commander at the back right on top of another high building(and more importantly, an objective). The other coldstar advanced straight over to the right, and landed about 3 feet behind Creed. This was indeed going to be a proper Mont'Ka...

I started off shooting by swiftly cutting the head off the snake, taking Creed down with the burst cannon on my Coldstar. My opponent was fuming after that, no way did he expect to have his warlord killed after he'd so carefully placed his units to avoid a deepstrike. Moving on, I fired the gunline at any heavy weapons teams/infantry I could see. I managed to kill the Heavy bolter team to ensure it couldn't rip my drone squads apart as they were in the open. I killed about 20 other guardsman with my other coldstar/gunline/drones, took the sentinel on the left to 1 wound with my breachers, and killed 2 of the autocannon heavy team with my missile commander. The stealthsuits peppered some more infantry on his right and my commanders let rip on his big tank and stripped 12 wounds from it(it starts with 28 I think). I finished off my turn by charging my coldstars into his infantry blob and psyker(the one on the right), my fusion commanders and stealth team into another infantry blob and breachers at his sentinel. He did no damage, and I punched a few more guardsman to death. Importantly I locked up a lot of his shooting. At the end of Turn 1 I had scored 2 objective cards by holding 2 objectives.

His turn 2 opened up with disengaging everything but his left flank sentinel from combat, moving his 2 tank commanders and Pask into position to fire, and moving his Shadowsword forward. Thankfully he still couldn't get a bead on my Y'Vahra, even with his 10" move. His Sentinels shifted forwards but other than that he didn't move much.

His shooting started off with heavy weapon teams and infantry killing a few pathfnders, stripping some wounds from my coldstars, and killing a few drones. His 2 tank commanders opened up on a Coldstar each and took my left one down to 3 and killed the right one with some help from his Artillery strike commander(does D3 mortal wounds). Eventually his Shadowsword spoke, but because my Y'Vahra was out of sight and all my other big targets were either characters or still in reserve, it was significantly underwhelming. The -1 to hit targets > 18" away hurt it a lot. It fired 30 Heavy bolter shots at a unit of Fire warriors in cover and killed 2 of them. The 4 lascannons on it killed a drone and the main gun he fired at the stealth suits and killed on. He also fired the retreating infantry on the right at my stealthsuits using an order and managed to the other two. He kept his sentinel on the left in combat with my breachers, and charged them with another infantry unit. Nothing killed in combat and he scored one objective.

Turn 2:
In my turn two I saw that the Shadowsword was in perfect position for my Y'Vahra to strike, so I moved it up and into range while I strung out the drones to cover it with Saviour Protocols. The remaining coldstar on his left flank moved into the centre of his backlines and the 2 fusion commanders shifted backwards into a ruin and kept that sweet 9" distance for their fusion blasters. I dropped the Crisis in the middle with their drones to protect the Y'Vahra more. The gunline moved down from the building to keep rapid fire range on some infantry.

I opened up shooting with my Fusion commanders targeting his Shadowsword, and boy did I do much more than I expected. Hit 6/6, wounded 4/6, no armour saves made, and rolled a total of 20 damage to it. Rolled for exploding and that tank went up like a nuke. A 10" D6 mortal wound explosion later and one of my fusion commanders is dead, my Y'Vahra took 2 wounds, 10 of his infantry are dead, his psyker is dead, a guardsman commander is dead, a sentinel took 3 wounds and there's not much left except for a crater and disappointment coming off in waves from the Y'Vahra for not getting to do anything! The rest of my shooting was cleaning up heavy weapons teams, killing more infantry, and stripping some wounds from the tank commanders/Pask. By this point I'd chewed through about half his infantry, all his heavy weapon teams, blown up his Shadowsword, scratched the paint on his tanks and killed a sentinel. I assaulted one of his tank commanders with my remaining coldstar and succeeded in punching a wound off it! At the end of the turn I'd made a start on 2 "Defend objective X" cards.

A summary of his turn would be moving some infantry around, disengaging with the tank commander in combat with my coldstar, moving the other tank commander towards the right to go for my remaining fusion commander. He mowed down a bunch of drones and killed the coldstar with Pask. Everything else tickled me by killing a model here and there. Ultimately, by this point Pask and the tank commanders were the only teeth he had left. Breachers and the Sentinel/Guardsmen on the left continued their wet noodle fight. He scored no objectives and I scored my 2 "Defend objective X" cards.

Turn 3:
I moved the Y'Vahra up the middle with the Crisis suits, moved the gunline closer to the middle for better shots, and moved my fusion commander forward. Everything else stayed put. I slagged Pask with the Y'Vahra and melted more guardsman with the crisis/gunline/drones. The Fusion commander cleaned up the hurt right hand sentinel and 2 of his characters and the missile commander scratched more paint off the hurt tank commander. He was left with about 25 guardsmen, 2 tank commanders and a sentinel locked in combat. My breachers continued their assault(they were surrounded so couldn't fall back). I scored Supremecy for D3(rolled a 1) points.

His turn 3 involved seeing if he could kill any key units for an objective he had. Think it was big game hunter because literally everything that was in range went for the Y'Vahra. He succeeded in making me tank 4 wounds with drones and the rest were saved.

At the bottom of turn 3, we called it due to time. The final result was 10/4 in my favour. Overall, I was happy with how I played the game and can't think of any maor mistakes other than handing him warlord with the left coldstar. I left him a bit out of position and in the open, however he did shut down a LOT of shooting so I think I made an ok call. Managing to catch him off guard by killing Creed in my first turn really offset him. That combined with holding back almost all my hard targets left him with nothing he could direct his big guns at and as a result was forced to put them towards infantry. I got lucky with the terrain and gametype here I think. Being able to hide my Y'Vahra and force his Shadowsword to move forward into range was huge, and the -1 to hit at >18" stung him a lot. It would've hurt me a lot too but I designed the army to function at close-medium range so it wasn't nearly as much of a problem for me. After the game I thought I did well but got off lightly against what could've been a really nasty army.

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Dec 06 2017 06:54

I'm curious about this! Were you always able to keep 3 Markerlight hits on your target?

For the most part yeah! I had a lot of them throughout the army and I always had the Fireblade's 2+ Marker to help. I had 18 marker lights in the army with 15 of them able to deploy out of sight and move into position with their Vanguard move, so for the first 2 turns of every game I got the 3 markers I needed, getting 5 a few times. By turn 3 it was hard to do, but by that time my Y'Vahra had been alive and burning units for 2 turns. There was one game where I didn't get 3 in the first turn but that was because I knew the plasma flamer was going to be enough and wanted the lights elsewhere.

After playing the 5 games I really think the Stim Injectors are great. 3 games in a row, it kept my Y'Vahra alive an extra turn. I totally get that the Target Lock is amazing because it lets the Y'Vahra function independently, but I think if you only have 1 then you need to keep it protected and supported at all costs. It is a massive bullet magnet. My entire strategy revolved around keeping it alive to do the damage while using everything else to take objectives, harass opponents and support the Y'Vahra.

Where I think the Target Lock has a place is a list with more than 1 Y'Vahra. At that point you don't have enough points left to actually support them, so getting those reliable markerlights is harder and makes the Target Lock very valuable. Plus the attention is split over 2 very big threats rather than 1.

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Dec 08 2017 07:17

I'll be continuing the rest of the battle reports on the games I played at the tournament in the Battle Report section. I'll move what I've posted so far as well. Feel free to comment/ask questions on the list I took etc.

Final tournament result: 6th out of 40.

Return to “Cadre Building”