Anti infantry 1k pt

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

Anti infantry 1k pt

Post#1 » Nov 20 2017 10:08

So my friend is bringing a squad of nurgle's friends to the table, and I want to optimise for them. Most of them are poxwalkers, with a few plague marines, a plague surgeon and some kind of very tough warlord with a lot of FnP buffs.

As most of the force is going to be slow moving infantry hoards and I know he loves to screen units with them I'm planning to charge up the board hard just put up a wall of fire at 8- 18 inches and keep them at bay moving backwards.

Mixed Unit 1: HQ, fast attack, transport
Fish full of drones.
11 gun drones and a fireblade embarked, with two gun drones mounted on the fish.
Charge up, disembark and keep shooting with all guns including the fish burst cannon. The fireblade should buff each of them to six shots if my opponent gets too close

strike squad 1, elites
3x XV8 suits. One triple flamer, one triple BC, one double flamer with drone controller.
These are too mantra strike as soon as the mixed Unit is in position to lend the drone controller and six drones, as well as the 18 inch for from the burst cannons. They should also provide dissuasion from getting into melee range with all those flamers.

strike squad 2, elites
3x XV8 suits. Armed with two fusion blasters each and with a shield Gen and two ATS. Equipped with six shield drones these will be held in manta reserve for deployment against the heavy warlord

spotter squad, fast attack
5*path finders with three rail rifles and two marker lights, with PA drone and two marker light drones.
These are to hang back and snipe at opportune targets and provide marker light support.

Does this sound a viable strategy? It's not very powerful in terms of weaponry but I'm trying to fill the air with as much flak as possible and hit through overwhelming numbers of dice

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Anti infantry 1k pt

Post#2 » Nov 20 2017 08:45

This is a viable strategy but over 500 points of your army is doing nothing. XV8s need to be in the action destroying targets from turn 1 onward, or else it's a colossal waste of points. I'd give your Flamer team 9x Flamers and deploy them normally, and have them Advance to move up the field and hopefully start torching Poxwalkers on the first turn. Arm your other XV8 squad with CIBs, which can be used as anti-Poxwalker/anti-Plague Marine weapons, and once you get rid of the cheap infantry they'll be viable against the enemy HQ too.

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight; 2x Gun Drones (58)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles; 2x Shield Drones (105)

Looks like 923 points to me, still a bit of room to grow. What other models do you have?

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 21 2017 06:29

Oh! I thought I'd written that in- I don't have the bits for that many flamers or any CIBs whatsoever, hence why one sad boi has burst cannons. Not the best weapon but it puts out lead at 18" reliably at bs4.

So, things I have available:
Shadowsun
6 old style stealth suits
Two etherial
A maybe 8 kroot carnivores and their shaper
4 kroot hounds
Maybe 30 strike team members
A 12 man breacher squad
More pathfinders (only with rail rifles/pulse carbines as they're old metal models, no drones)
An ion canon armed Hammerhead with SMS
Another devilfish
A unit of gue'la

Ordered and waiting for despatch are more pathfinders, more stealth suits and a ghost keel

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 21 2017 07:21

Okay! So, we're definitely going to want Flamer XV8s, a mechanized Gun Drone unit, Stealthsuits, and some objective-scoring units too. Are you certain the enemy isn't bringing tanks? Also, are your suits magnetized?

Pending those questions, here's my thought:

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 5x Flamers, 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (254)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 3x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (105)

Total: 726

Obviously this isn't 1000 points yet, but we can work on it. What weapons do you have to arm the last XV8 squad with?

Orion7
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 25 2017 03:46

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't catch up to this thread.
The xv8 have basically 5 of each available: burst cannons, flamers, fusion blasters and plasma.

I tried out my original plan (my first ever real game of 40k no less) with a few extras to bring up the points (I added shadowsun, a 5 man breacher team and subbed in a forge world drone turret that's in the post) and had mixed results.
The FFoD absolutely slaughtered the poxwalkers despite me fudging my disembarkation, only three out of maybe 40 made it into combat range (we had a tiny table so couldn't be too mobile) despite their disgusting resilience and plague surgeon propping them up. Unfortunately I'd put all the XV8s in one unit which cost me the game as it meant that the plague marines could take them apart.

Second game got called short as the shop closed, but the FFoD got dismantled by deep striking units (I didn't recognise the faction and the huge numbers of terrain pieces interfered with lines of fire when my XV8s entered so they weren't much help

However, in two turns my pathfinders and shadowsun had pretty much eliminated a whole unit of 6-8 terminators with only one casualty.

So, I certainly think I need to take your advice on the XV8s as they were very ineffectual, but overall it wasn't bad.

Return to “Cadre Building”