1000 points, first list for 8th

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Varyn
Shas

1000 points, first list for 8th

Post#1 » Nov 21 2017 10:57

Hey guys

Old Tau player from 7th, although I haven't played T'au for over a year.

I have drawn up a list for 1000 points and would appreciate some feedback, I have done some reading up on what people regard as effective units and hope that my list looks decent.

Vanguard detachment 996 points

Commander, 3x fusion blasters, shield generator

3 stealth suits, 3x advanced targetting system
1 XV9 hazard suit, 2x fusion cascade, multitracker
Ghostkeel, ion raker, 2x, burst cannons, advanced targetting system

4 drones, 4x marker drones
4 drones, 4x gun drones

The idea is that I have 3 single units that can drop in and punch out some tough targets, the rest of the army will hopefully be survivable enough to hold my side of the table/objectives.

Any feedback is most welcome, I haven't bought anything yet so changes are easy to make! I want to keep it an all "battlesuits" list, using FW units wherever possible as I really love their design. However I think 1000 points might be a bit low for an Y'Vahra/R'Varna?

Thanks for reading

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: 1000 points, first list for 8th

Post#2 » Nov 21 2017 12:56

Varyn wrote:Hey guys

Old Tau player from 7th, although I haven't played T'au for over a year.

I have drawn up a list for 1000 points and would appreciate some feedback, I have done some reading up on what people regard as effective units and hope that my list looks decent.

Vanguard detachment 996 points

Commander, 3x fusion blasters, shield generator

Ghostkeel, ion raker, 2x, burst cannons, advanced targetting system

4 drones, 4x marker drones
4 drones, 4x gun drones

The idea is that I have 3 single units that can drop in and punch out some tough targets, the rest of the army will hopefully be survivable enough to hold my side of the table/objectives.

Any feedback is most welcome, I haven't bought anything yet so changes are easy to make! I want to keep it an all "battlesuits" list, using FW units wherever possible as I really love their design. However I think 1000 points might be a bit low for an Y'Vahra/R'Varna?

Thanks for reading

Not nearly enough drones in my opinion. Also, your light situation is a bit off. You have minimal lights in drones with no drone controller to make them BS4+ which is a BIG gamble.

If you insist on spamming burst cannons and you like hazards, I think people would recommend the DBBC on XV9's and drop the stealth suits. Stealths are great for bringing in units but are really just another 5/0/1 source at BS4+. You can get more bang for your buck elsewhere, including their multiple wounds and the fact that they are hard to hit. I recommend pathfinders as a great source of cheap markerlights over markerdrones, BUT if your lights need to stay mobile, invest in someone carrying a drone controller, preferably a unit that isn't sacrificing a hardpoint for a gun, IE not a crisis or commander. Stealths are actually a good use for this especially in conjunction with a homing beacon.

Change the commander to have 4 fusion blasters and carry a pair of shield drones with him.

Ghostkeel needs to have a target lock especially at low points where you don't want to spend more than 100 points on markerlights and relying on 3 is very foolhardy especially late game.

More drones. Preferrably gun drones to go with the suits. XV9's are weird in that they can take 4 drones with them even as monat suits. Use it, abuse it if you have the drones to back it up. In my lists I typically do not have a single unused drone slot. My fireblade takes 2, my commanders take two, my crisis suits take as many pairs as I have suits, my stealths have drones (marker and/or shield). Pathfinders usually don't have any but that's the only case if I don't have some attached to a unit because they start so far out and if I want to make more ablative wounds, I just add more pathfinders.

CIB's are incredibly good and should find at least one commander with them as well as a quad fusion commander at 1k points. You'll find they are good at handling pesky multiple wound models as well as taking damage off of tanks of all forms.

Varyn
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 21 2017 03:49

thanks for the feedback, I wasn't sure about drones so I appreciate the advice.

I have rewritten the list to try and take your recommendations onboard:

Vanguard detachment

commander, 4x fusion blasters, 2x shield drones

3 stealth suits, drone controller , 6 marker drones
3 crisis suits, 6x CIB, 3 gun drones
1 XV9, 2x double barreled burst cannons, 3 gun drones

994 points

Am I better off grouping the marker drones all together? This list feels very elite, only 10 models at 1000 points, any thoughts? I really like the idea of an all battlesuit list, but it needs to be competitive on the table or I'll get smashed at my local club!

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 21 2017 04:17

Varyn wrote:thanks for the feedback, I wasn't sure about drones so I appreciate the advice.

Vanguard detachment

994 points

Am I better off grouping the marker drones all together? This list feels very elite, only 10 models at 1000 points, any thoughts? I really like the idea of an all battlesuit list, but it needs to be competitive on the table or I'll get smashed at my local club!

Trust me, drones are models. Each one is essentially an extra wound to any suit it is near. Also, stealths can only ever have a pair of drones TOTAL for the squad, not a pair each like the crisis suits. Also, you have an extra hardpoint open for your crisis suits so use it for ATS or another CIB. ATS is cheaper and gives those solid guns -2 for armor which is unbelievably good. If you want to be ULTRA competitive then make your crisis suits into 2 commanders.

Can't really speak for the XV9's personally but I've heard mixed reviews. Things with BS4+ can really go either way but it's worth giving it a go. All our suits gained wounds AND toughness since 7th and can no longer be pieced out by double toughness shots so they are significantly sturdier than they used to be.

Splitting marker drones would be a great idea. Could also make a squad with shield drones thrown in to help mitigate the losses.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Nov 21 2017 08:06

Varyn wrote:thanks for the feedback, I wasn't sure about drones so I appreciate the advice.

Vanguard detachment

994 points

Sadly the arrangement of your Drones is a bit off- Stealthsuit can only take two Drones per unit, not per model. Also, from a competitive standpoint, always fill up your hardpoints on XV8s and XV9s. Let's also give the XV8s more Gun Drones, as we do need them. Here's a different idea for the list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (121)
Elites - XV9 w/ 2x Double-Barreled Burst Cannons, ATS; 4x Gun Drones (133)

Total: 1002 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

Now, there's a good list... however, the critical flaw is that you have 5 units in Manta Strike reserve, and only one on the ground. Sadly this isn't legal, since half of your army must start on the table. So, here's a small change:

-

Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (121)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons (101)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

Total: 1002 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Varyn
Shas

Post#6 » Nov 22 2017 08:11

Thanks a lot for the feedback Arka & Yojimbob. I appreciate the help in bringing me up to speed with T'au in 8th :)

I like the look of the last list:

Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons (101)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

I have a couple of questions:

- What is the advantage of the homing beacon deployment vs manta strike deployment? all I can see is that there is no restriction on proximity to enemy units?
- There are no markerlights in this list, is that an issue when there is 18 gun drones and no drone controllers? hitting on 5+ doesn't seem that great

Other points to consider:

- I quite like the look of the sensor tower, 40 points for a BS4+ 3 hit markerlight and the positional relay looks decent, although it means keeping 1 unit static in the backfield to benefit from it
- What is the general consensus on the ghostkeel? I am looking at the new battleforce box as it has most of the models I need for this list (plus the XV9's)

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Nov 22 2017 10:05

Homing beacon is exactly that, no restriction on where you land within the boundaries of the beacon itself allowing your flamer suits or in your case the fusion commander to get within 9" and get two dice picking the highest for damage. We are pretty much the only army in the game that gets around the 9" deep strike bubble and the look on your opponents face is priceless.

Take a look at the markerlight table, it's not what it once was. Does this list particularly care about whether you have 1 or 3 lights on a target? No, and sadly that is the case for pretty much every list you'll ever make in the current form of our index. So both the tetra and the sensor tower fall a little flat for the points you pay since getting the light or not getting the light is basically the same as a regular ML. I think not having any in this list is foolish but that's just me. If you want to pay more for the drone marker lights, be my guest but I really do think pathfinders are very good.

Ghostkeels have never really done anything for me personally but they do soak up shots well. They have the same issue as the riptide but not nearly as expensive in that they get really REALLY terrible when it loses only a few wounds and it just doesn't seem to pack the punch that you think it should. The melta version is severely outclassed by the QFC but the dakkakeel isn't too bad with two BC's and the CIR. Adding an ATS and shield gen makes it pack a punch while also surviving a bit but then you NEED 3 lights for it to not lose BS for moving and shooting it's big gun. That leaves you with losing offensive punch in the ATS or defensive power in the shield gen or rely on getting 3 lights. The choice is yours but people seem to enjoy their keels.

Return to “Cadre Building”