1,000pt vs SM Ironhands

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Alcohealix
Shas

1,000pt vs SM Ironhands

Post#1 » Nov 21 2017 03:36

Hi all,

Been playing a friend who runs Iron Hands with all heavy infantry. Typically consists of Termies, dreadnoughts, techmarine HQ and razorbacks loaded with combat squads. Up until recently i havent had the firepower to crack their 2+ or deal enough wounds to take down a dread. This is sort of what i was thinking:

HQ:
Cadre Fireblade

TROOPS
Breacher Team x10
-Guardian Drone

ELITES:
Crisis Battlesuits x3
-CIB x3
-Fusion Blaster x6

Ghostkeel
-2x Fusion Blaster
-CIR
-Shield Generator
-Target Lock

FAST ATTACK:
Pathfinder Team
-5x markerlights
-3x Ion Rifle

Pathfinder Team
-5x markerlights
-3x Ion Rifle

TRANSPORT:
Devilfish

TOTAL: 998 Points

Alternatively (because i havent opened the box yet and could exchange it) i was thinking dropping the Devilfish and getting a stealth team - giving the Crises suits a bigger threat range. What do you guys think?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: 1,000pt vs SM Ironhands

Post#2 » Nov 21 2017 04:07

Alcohealix wrote:Hi all,

Been playing a friend who runs Iron Hands with all heavy infantry. Typically consists of Termies, dreadnoughts, techmarine HQ and razorbacks loaded with combat squads. Up until recently i havent had the firepower to crack their 2+ or deal enough wounds to take down a dread. This is sort of what i was thinking:

HQ:
Cadre Fireblade

TROOPS
Breacher Team x10
-Guardian Drone

ELITES:
Crisis Battlesuits x3
-CIB x3
-Fusion Blaster x6

Ghostkeel
-2x Fusion Blaster
-CIR
-Shield Generator
-Target Lock

FAST ATTACK:
Pathfinder Team
-5x markerlights
-3x Ion Rifle

Pathfinder Team
-5x markerlights
-3x Ion Rifle

TRANSPORT:
Devilfish

TOTAL: 998 Points

Alternatively (because i havent opened the box yet and could exchange it) i was thinking dropping the Devilfish and getting a stealth team - giving the Crises suits a bigger threat range. What do you guys think?

Why mix the CIB and fusions in the crisis suits? Why is there zero commanders in your list? I'd take those 3 crisis you were planning to run and use them as commanders with 4 fusion and 2 as 3CIB/ats commanders but that's me.

Alcohealix
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 21 2017 04:23

No good reason outside of not using CIB's before and wanted to play with them. As for commanders it never occurred to me to use them as proxies. Interesting thought.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 22 2017 09:47

Alcohealix wrote:No good reason outside of not using CIB's before and wanted to play with them. As for commanders it never occurred to me to use them as proxies. Interesting thought.

They are great. Do you need to wound t4 on two's? Overcharge them and have a markerlight on the target. Do you need to kill multiple wound anythings? Overcharge it with a markerlight. Need to clear the chaff? Regular profile with a markerlight. Great weapon so far for us.

Alcohealix
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 22 2017 11:20

So it sounds like CIB'S are great counters to termies and dreadnaughts. Are they superior to Fusion Blasters in this case?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 22 2017 12:41

Alcohealix wrote:So it sounds like CIB'S are great counters to termies and dreadnaughts. Are they superior to Fusion Blasters in this case?

Fusion blasters are great but them being one shot only is really the problem. I think my CIB's do great work against everything and that stands out a LOT in 8th. Fusions are great for the truly tough nuts to crack and if you're closer than 9" there is no equal to the FB. FB even on termies is great because you remove more of their precious armor leaving them with the invuln only, unless they have a SS in which case it is equal, and the likelihood of doing enough damage to kill one is slightly greater (2+ vs. 3+ on CIB's).

Alcohealix
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 23 2017 12:46

So with your advice heres a bit of a revised list i've come up with:

Outrider Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ:
Commander
-4x CIB
-2x Gun Drone

Commander
-4x CIB
-2x Gun Drone

TROOPS:
Breacher Team x10
-Guardian Drone

ELITES:
Ghostkeel
-2x Fusion Blaster
-CIR
-Shield Generator
-Target Lock

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits
-Homing Beacon
-Drone Controller
-1x Fusion Blaster

FAST ATTACK:
Pathfinder Team
-5x markerlights
-3x Ion Rifle

Pathfinder Team
-5x markerlights
-3x Ion Rifle

Tactical Drones
-x8 Gun Drone

TOTAL: 993 Points

What i'm thinking is have GhostKeel and Stealthsuits infiltrate and play distraction carnifex. Deploy scouts forward to try to grab objectives early and prepare to markerlights. Footslog my breachers to either grab objectives or push in while hes focused on Ghostkeel. First turn i'd try to rush my tactical drones to my stealth suits/ghostkeel to provide ablative wounds. Once he inevitably deepstrikes his termies to try to take out my Ghostkeel i counter deepstrike my 2 commanders and (hopefully) wipe them out. With 8 gun drones + 4 from commanders that would hopefully provide enough of a meatshield. On top of 48 shots at BS 4+ with drone controller.

Return to “Cadre Building”