Need help building a 1500 pt army.

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
proxxy04
Shas

Need help building a 1500 pt army.

Post#1 » Nov 23 2017 12:14

Hello my fellow followers of the Tau'va,

I'm in need of assistance building an army for my local GW, as well as for some friendly games with friends. I have only played 2 games in 8th, and have been tabled both times :dead: :dead: , my first game was with Power Points, and second with 1000 pts.
In my close group of friends in our group chat they have nicknamed me "*** Fish" and the trash talking never stops lol. So I want to build an army to crush them. The main "rival" is a Chaos player, and I specifically want to destroy him :fear: , multiple times as much as I can. As for models I have the following:

HQs:
Coldstar
Commander
Darkstrider
Fireblade
Etheral on hover
Longstrike

Troops:
20 Strike warriors (10 Pulse Carbine 10 Pulse Rifle)
10 Breachers

Elites:
3 XV8 (hoping to get more soon)
3 XV15 (XV25 proxies)
3 XV25 (still need to be built)
1 XV95
1 XV104
1 R'Varna (not built)
2 Firesight Marksman

Fast Attacks:
3 TX4
4 Tetras
10 Pathfinders
Bunch of drones

Flier:
1 AX39

Heavy Support:
3 XV88 (1missle 2 railgun)
6 Sniper Drones

Lord of War:
1 KV128 (pulse driver cannon)

Transports:
3 TY7

If you guys think I should add other model boxes to what I have, please let me know what else I could use and ill try to acquire them. I REALLLLLLLY want to crush my buddy who's the Chaos player. So any suggestions would help alto, ill try and get a list put together and post it up for review and critique.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Need help building a 1500 pt army.

Post#2 » Nov 24 2017 11:29

I'd be happy to help!

proxxy04 wrote:In my close group of friends in our group chat they have nicknamed me "*** Fish" and the trash talking never stops lol. So I want to build an army to crush them.

That doesn't sound too "friendly"! Hopefully it's in all in good fun though. Anyway, let's check out your models and see what we can do for a list!

proxxy04 wrote:As for models I have the following:

HQs:
Coldstar
Commander
Darkstrider
Fireblade
Etheral on hover
Longstrike

Troops:
20 Strike warriors (10 Pulse Carbine 10 Pulse Rifle)
10 Breachers

Elites:
3 XV8 (hoping to get more soon)
3 XV15 (XV25 proxies)
3 XV25 (still need to be built)
1 XV95
1 XV104
1 R'Varna (not built)
2 Firesight Marksman

Fast Attacks:
3 TX4
4 Tetras
10 Pathfinders
Bunch of drones

Flier:
1 AX39

Heavy Support:
3 XV88 (1missle 2 railgun)
6 Sniper Drones

Lord of War:
1 KV128 (pulse driver cannon)

Transports:
3 TY7

If you guys think I should add other model boxes to what I have, please let me know what else I could use and ill try to acquire them. I REALLLLLLLY want to crush my buddy who's the Chaos player. So any suggestions would help alto, ill try and get a list put together and post it up for review and critique.

So, out of those models, for a competetive list we won't use the Tetras, Riptide, Broadsides, Sniper Drones, Marksmen, or R'varna. That leaves us with the following models to use:

1x Commander
1x Coldstar Commander
1x Darkstrider
1x Longstrike
1x Fireblade
1x Ethereal on Hover Drone
10x Fire Warriors
10x Breachers
3x Devilfish
3x XV8s
6x Stealthsuits
1x Ghostkeel
10x Pathfinders
1x Sun Shark Bomber
1x Stormsurge

That's a great collection! It looks like you'll be using a mechanized/battlesuit-heavy list. Here are the absolute go-to groups in your collection:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (121)
Set the Commander in Manta Strike reserve. Forward-deploy the Stealthsuits close to the enemy. If the enemy has powerful infantry, set the Flamer XV8s in Manta Strike too and use the Homing Beacon to deploy them. If the enemy has a powerful tank you want to destroy on turn 1, don't put the Flamer XV8s in Manta Strike reserve and instead use the Homing Beacon to deploy the Commander. Remember, the Commander is better with a Homing Beacon, but good enough without one. The Flamer XV8s, on the other hand, must use a Homing Beacon when the deploy via Manta Strike, or else they are worthless!

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight; 2x Gun Drones (58) [Transport 1]
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Gun Drones (127) [Transport 1]
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32) [Transport 1]
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40) [Transport 1]
This is an easy-enough group to use... pop everyone in the transport and go barreling toward the enemy lines. Jump out with 13 Gun Drones and a Fireblade giving them a total of 71 S5 shots!

HQ - Darkstrider (45) [Transport 2]
Troops - 10x Breachers (80) [Transport 2]
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Gun Drones (127) [Transport 2]
Another decently easy-to-use unit. Have Darkstrider use his -1T debuff on enemy T4 infantry and your Breachers will wound Space Marines on 2+!

Lord of War - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Blastcannon, 2x Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, ATS, Stimulant Injector (437)
The Blastcannon is better & keeps the cost down; just remember to move it forward on turn 1 and get those anchors down on turn 2.

All in all, these unit groupings are 1498 points. You could use them as a list as-is if you like, or you could change it up. I think these are all great units, but you're missing Markerlights to use the Stormsurge's Destroyer Missiles, you're missing objective-holding infantry... so, I'm going to remove the Flamer XV8s and replace them with some more infantry, Pathfinders, and Stealthsuits.

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight; 2x Gun Drones (58) [Transport 1]
HQ - Darkstrider (45) [Transport 2]
Troops - 10x Breachers (80) [Transport 2]
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Gun Drones (127) [Transport 2]
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Gun Drones (127) [Transport 1]
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (137)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons (90)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32) [Transport 1]
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40) [Transport 1]
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)
Lord of War - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Blastcannon, 2x Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, ATS, Stimulant Injector (437)

Total: 1499 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Super-Heavy Auxiliary)

-

What do you think?

Return to “Cadre Building”