Las Vegas Open - 100 power point army

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Tauronto
Shas

Las Vegas Open - 100 power point army

Post#1 » Nov 25 2017 08:10

Hey everybody,

Just got back into the hobby and I'm starting a Tau army. Because I like to jump in with both feet I've signed up for the friendly tournament at the Las Vegas Open. I'm basically starting from scratch (I have a Tau Getting Started box, a squad of Pathfinders, and a cadre fireblade) so any unit is open to me with any load out. I just need to settle on a list ASAP so I can start buying and painting my units.

For those unfamiliar: it's a four-round ITC event and each army must be battleforged and have 100 power points. (I suppose I could have fewer points... but why?!) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hPHifrwlDIiK6cycHP_hl_UfW8HaSbezqAPZbjkzphU/edit

Battalion - 3 command points

HQ - Coldstar commander - 8 power points
Coldstar commander, two tactical drones. Two fusion blasters, high-output burst cannon and a missle pod

HQ - Ethereal - 2 power points
Ethereal with honour blade

Troop - Strike team - 5 power points
Shas'ui x 1, Fire Warrior x 9. Pulse rifles, markerlight, photon grenade, DS8 Tactical support turret

Troop - Breacher team - 5 power points
Shas'ui x 1, Fire Warrior x 9. Pulse blasters, markerlight, photon grenade, DS8 Tactical support turret

Troop - Kroot carnivores - 3 power points
Kroot x 10. Kroot rifles

Fast attack - Pathfinders - 6 power points
Shas'ui Pathfinder x 1, Pathfinder x 9. Markerlights, pulse carbines, photon grenades x 7. Ion rifles x 3.

Fast attack - Vespid Stingwings - 6 power points
Vespid Strain Leader x 1, Vespid Stingwings x 7. Neutron blasters x 8.

Transport - Devilfish - 7 power points
Devilfish x 1, MV1 Gun Drones x 2. Burst cannon, pulse carbines x 2, seeker missiles x 2

Elite - Ghostkeel - 10 power points
Ghostkeel Shas'vre x 1, Mv5 Stealth Drones x 2. Cyclic ion raker x 1, Fusion blaster x 2.

Elite - Stealth Battlesuits - 6 power points
XV25 Stealth Shas'vre x 1, XV25 Stealth Shas'ui x 2. Fusion Blaster x 1, Burst cannon x 2.

Spearhead detachment - 1 command point

HQ - Cadre fireblade - 2 power points
Cadre fireblade x 1. Markerlight, pulse rifle, photon grenade

HQ - Darkstrider - 3 power points
Darkstrider x 1. Markerlight, pulse carbine, photon greade.

Heavy support - Hammerhead gunship - 10 power points
TX7 Hammerhead gunship x 1. Railgun x 1, seeker missiles x 2, smart missile systems x 2.

Heavy support - Broadside - 9 power points
Broadside battlesuit x 1. High-yield missile pods x 2, smart missile systems x 2

Broadside battlesuit x 1. High-yield missile pods x 2, smart missile systems x 2

Thinking:
Since I don't know who I will be playing, I wanted a flexible army list. This list also gives me four command points for re-rolling purposes.

I'd have the strike team and broadsides grouped together with the ethereal and cadre fireblade buffing them. The ethereal would use "storm of fire" to re-roll hit rolls of 1 and the fireblade would use volley fire to give the fire warriors a third shot in rapid fire range for a really effective gun line taking out GEQs and MEQs.

I'd also have Darkstrider paired with the breacher team in the Devilfish to take out TEQs or other elites up close.

Pathfinders are obviously there for markerlights, the hammerhead for tank killing.

The stingwings, ghostkeel, stealthsuits and commander I would hope could take objectives and hunt characters or other tough units and make full use of the ability to fall back from melee as melees.

As I said off the top, I'm totally open to constructive criticism. I'm really not sure about my loadouts outside of the infantry units.

What does everyone think?

Thanks,
John

PS: I hope I formatted this correctly! Apologies if I didn't.

nbsp
Shas

Re: Las Vegas Open - 100 power point army

Post#2 » Nov 25 2017 10:26

I don't think you can do that with a Coldstar, give him fusion blasters that is.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 26 2017 07:34

Tauronto wrote:Hey everybody,

Just got back into the hobby and I'm starting a Tau army. Because I like to jump in with both feet I've signed up for the friendly tournament at the Las Vegas Open. I'm basically starting from scratch (I have a Tau Getting Started box, a squad of Pathfinders, and a cadre fireblade) so any unit is open to me with any load out. I just need to settle on a list ASAP so I can start buying and painting my units.

For those unfamiliar: it's a four-round ITC event and each army must be battleforged and have 100 power points. (I suppose I could have fewer points... but why?!)

Sounds like a fun challenge! Remember that PL efficiency and points efficiency are very different, but very related. A 1400-point army and a 2600-point army can both be 100 PL... but trust me the 2600-point army will win every time.

Your army looks solid, but there are a few things to clear up. First, a Coldstar can only take support systems, no weapons- I recommend a Shield Generator and ATS. Next, I'd straight-up dump the Kroot, Hammerhead, Ethereal, and Broadsides. The competitive units in our army are:

Commanders (No-holds-barred best unit in the Index with no competition)
Gun Drones
Fireblades
Devilfish
Breachers
Darkstrider
XV8s w/ Flamer
XV8s w/ Cyclic Ion Blasters
Fire Warriors
Longstrike
Hammerheads (If you have Longstrike)
Sun Shark Bombers
Stormsurges
Y'vahras (If Forgeworld is allowed)

Sadly, Hammerhead without Longstrike aren't very good, Broadsides are very points-inefficient, and Kroot and Ethereals are... cool, but lackluster.

If you're building your list from scratch, you could pick up the following units to add to your collection:

5x Commanders
1x Darkstrider
2x Devilfish
6x Stealthsuits
10x Pathfinders
+6x Rail Rifles (eBay?)

Using your current collection, and those units, you could build the following list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176) [7 PL]
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS; (156) [6 PL]
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150) [7 PL]
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight; 2x Gun Drones (58) [3 PL]
HQ - Darkstrider (45) [2 PL]
Troops - 10x Breachers w/ Markerlight; Support Turret w/ SMS (103) [5 PL]
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (137) [7 PL]
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (137) [7 PL]
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255) [14 PL]
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator, Markerlight & Target Lock, 2x Burst Cannons, 2x ATS, Homing Beacon (154) [6 PL]
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator, Markerlight & Target Lock, 2x Burst Cannons, 2x ATS, Homing Beacon (154) [6 PL]
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (89) [3 PL]
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32) [2 PL]
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32) [2 PL]

Total: 2297 [100 PL] - Command Points: 6 (1 Supreme Command Detachment, 2 Outrider Detachments)

-

Is this just abusing our good units and involves way too many Commanders? Yeah! But hey, that's tournaments for you. I'm just brainstorming here. What do you think?

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#4 » Nov 26 2017 03:37

Hi, I am going to have to take a guess at what you want to get out of this event until you explain a bit further. I think it is a fair assumption that you are not all about smashing face and taking names because if you were you would be in the competitive tournament.

Rather than measure brutal killing power I will try to give you my impressions in terms of fun factor. By which I tend to mean some combination of the unit generating smiles for you during the event combined with its ability to help you avoid oh-dear-I-may-as-well-go-to-the-bar moments. Even in a friendly event you should expect to see a number of really brutal combos and things which can come out of nowhere and cause havoc on an underprepared opponent.

I will mark them out of 5 grins.

Coldstar Commander :D :D :D :D :D
If this lady could take the fusion blasters she would be utterly gross, it is probably just as well she can not. I would usually go for the ATS + Shield Generator and use the Master of Mont'ka warlord trait as it will be available by then then in CA. Perhaps not the best unit in our Index but probably the most fun.

Ethereal :D :D
Not a big smile giver but honestly just a cheap utility character. If you can stand the horrors of Finecast Aun'va has more tricks and is more likely to put a smile on your face as a result. On the other hand why not give the Puretide Engram Neurochip to a stock Ethereal who is going to hide all game anyway - picking up those extra CP might help him make you smile.

Darkstrider + Breachers + Devilfish :D :D :D :D
Epic fun when it works. This seems to me perfectly in the spirit of the event. The DS8 turret is pretty rubbish on Breachers but it is included in the PL cost so you may as well take it.

Strike Team + Cadre Fireblade :D :D :D
Solid, fairly dependable. Unlikely to do anything amazing but if you park them in cover they are OK. Of course the same points investment in Drones to go with that Cadre Fireblade would be sooo much better!

Kroot :D :D
Honestly i would expect them to die early in most games. But against some of the things you face you need a screen that can scout and push back the threat and anything in that screen is as good as dead anyway. In their own way another cheap supporting unit.

Pathfinders :D :D
As you have them there they will put out a few markerlights and maybe plink off the odd wound now and again. No, scratch that, they will die turn 1 in pretty much every game. Personally I would take the Rail Rifles which occasionally just go crazy and wipe out a unit whereas the Ion Rifles are just not impressive - in either case it only matters if your opponent permits them to live for some reason of their own. Split into two units you can at least hide the Rail Rifles, they are Rapid Fire so do not care about moving out from behind cover and shooting.

Vespid :D :D :D :D
Well maybe my personal bias is showing here but Vespid are a top tier fun unit even if they are not quite a top tier competitive unit. For the first time ever they live up to the fluff of a lightning quick hard hitting fragile unit.

Ghostkeel :D :D :D
It does not die to shooting, its sheer resilience can be heart-warming. Not sure it really does that much else which is why I have reservations about it. The model is undeniably good.

Stealth Suits :D :D :D
Again survivable but not very hard hitting. If you have Crisis Suits or another commander who could benefit from a Homing Beacon then they can give you that "I love it when a plan comes together" feeling when you pull the trick off. Pulling off those on-table combos is for many Tau players one of the draws of the faction.

Broadsides :D :D
You get to roll lots and lots of dice. If that is your kick then flooding the table with gun drones will feed your dice habit better. They are not bad in PL games but there is just something a bit lacking about Broadsides at the moment that I can't quite put my finger on. Late in the weekend you might wish you had swapped some of these for something more dynamic. If you do take them then definitely pick some support systems that give them some tricks, ATS is obviously good but EWO can give you another defensive option against alpha-strikes coming out of nowhere (Tyrannids in particular should fear a Missileside with EWO).

Hammerhead :D
I hate to be harsh but while Longstrike is a good pick the regular Hammerhead without him along is a frustrating unit to play. If you like the model enough to give this a go then maybe try a few games against friends who bring decent tanks like Predators and Leman Russ - I suspect you will find why out why I think this by itself does not fill the anti-tank role you have in mind.

You effectively have no drones in your list which I believe is a mistake. Drones are the glue which holds a Tau army together - a lot of our units such as Broadsides are surprisingly fragile without their handy drone buddies to take the big hits for them. Often their job is to die to keep your more valuable stuff alive but against horde armies they really shine and are pretty much our best solution to some of the never-ending-horde problems you might face especially when partnered up with the Cadre Fireblade.

Also with hardly any markerlight sources expect your one pathfinder unit to be wiped out quickly every game. So long as you are happy to rely on the odd Markerlights from your characters and Shas'ui / Shas'vre that is fine but bear in mind that you largely have a BS4+ army here so just re-rolling 1's is not awfully impressive.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 02 2017 01:30

Arka0415 wrote:
Tauronto wrote:For those unfamiliar: it's a four-round ITC event and each army must be battleforged and have 100 power points. (I suppose I could have fewer points... but why?!)

Sounds like a fun challenge! Remember that PL efficiency and points efficiency are very different, but very related. A 1400-point army and a 2600-point army can both be 100 PL... but trust me the 2600-point army will win every time.

Why stop at 2600?

Heck if you really want to (and are able) go over the top do one thing T'au can do better than almost any other army. Abuse that PL you might become that guy but the look on your opponents face when they have about 2000pts and you have >3000 will be worth it.

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [32 PL, 977pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 172pts]: 4x Missile pod

Commander [6 PL, 172pts]: 4x Missile pod

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [11 PL, 342pts]
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Missile pod
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Missile pod
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Missile pod

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 97pts]
. Pathfinder: Markerlight