Competitive list utilizing new CA rules. Been winning games with it.

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Competitive list utilizing new CA rules. Been winning games with it.

Post#1 » Nov 26 2017 11:19

First of all, I'm not taking the heavy bombardment hammerhead because of the reprinted points updates in CA. It's simply my favorite hammerhead variant that I often use with great success. Is a vastly more durable, BS2+ broadside (with longstrike).

1996 points. 10 CP

++ Outrider Detachment 590pts ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [42pts]: Markerlight

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [48pts]
. 6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight

Vespid Stingwings [105pts]: 7x Vespid Stingwing

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [395pts]

++ Battalion Detachment [834pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster

Commander [148pts]: 4x Cyclic ion blaster

Longstrike [191pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Railgun

+ Troops +

Strike Team [40pts]: 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Heavy Support +

TX7 Heavy Bombardment Hammerhead Gunship [215pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x High-yield missile pod

++ Battalion Detachment [572pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [42pts]: Markerlight

Commander [160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

XV9 Hazard Support Team [202pts]
. XV9 Hazard Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, 2x Double-barelled burst cannon
. XV9 Hazard Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, 2x Double-barelled burst cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [48pts]

++ Total: [1996pts] ++

This list was put together for a little casual tournament our local gaming group put together. I ended up winning it out of 9 other players! The strategy is probably obvious to most of you, but this list was built to be an all comers list, ready to take on anything.

It's a bit heavy on tank punching, but luckily with this much tank punch it can also shred small elite units as well. The XV9s, drones, and fire warriors were in charge of everything else. A lot of this list relies on a successful alpha strike, like most Tau lists nowadays, with very carefully considered target priority. The Vespids we're always among the first to die because they do WAY more damage than they have any right doing, and since they are easy to kill, the opponents always made sure to kill them off before they did any more damage. Definitely worth their points for the great alpha strike and shock and awe effect.

It's also important to play the drones aggressively, and use the ridiculous amount of shots from the to scare the opponent into shooting them. Basically, manage your target priority, and screw with your opponents.
The longer I can keep the yvahra alive the better, and one time he even made it to turn 4! I'm lucky I didn't come up against any serious troops spam. If I had come up against any necron players with lots of warriors or immortals, I would have been pretty screwed.

The Markerlight stratigem really helped me take less Pathfinders. This list really only needs one group marked at a time, for the anti infantry portion of the list, so it worked out really well. The typical course of action was to hit an infantry squad with the Pathfinders, roll additional d3, and then if needed, add in one of the fireblades. Then the other fireblades helps with the 2+ anti heavy shots. Since I had 10 CP I was using them willy nilly on rerolls and Markerlight increases. The relic made this even better by encouraging me to use them because I get them back on 6s. Most games I gained an additional 1 or 2 CP because of it. Definitely nice.

Kerrygan
Shas

Re: Competitive list utilizing new CA rules. Been winning games with it.

Post#2 » Nov 27 2017 12:24

Edit: I made a mistake making assumptions about points value and units. Sorry.

lantzkev
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Nov 27 2017 12:45

from my own experiences I'd add a few things (and leave it up to you what to cut)

you need quite a bit more drones to protect the yvhara, and the xv9s are perfect for adding them. I usually start with a few in my deploy near yvhara, and then deep strike the xv9s in near it to give it drone coverage upfield with their deepstrikes.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 27 2017 12:47

Looks like a solid list! Good number of CP, good Commanders, I like it. However, there are a couple of things the list could use, I feel:

+2x Shield Drones on each Fusion Commander (+32)
+Stimulant Injector, Target Lock on the Y'vahra (+17)
+4 Gun Drones on each XV9, and split them into two squads (+64)

That's an increase of 113 points, but it would make your Commanders much more durable, the Y'vahra much more viable, and the Manta Strike capacity of the XV9s much more deadly.

Also, you mention using Drones to good effect, but your list barely contains any. What are you talking about?

Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 27 2017 03:40

Arka0415 wrote:Also, you mention using Drones to good effect, but your list barely contains any. What are you talking about?

Oh snap you're right. This is an early version that I had saved. I copy pasted the wrong one! There is only a slight change:

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones: 6x MV1 Gun Drone
Vespid Stingwings: 6x Vespid Stingwing
XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit: Target Lock

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Commander: 4x Fusion blaster
Commander: 4x Cyclic ion blaster
Longstrike: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Railgun

+ Troops +

Strike Team: 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Heavy Support +

TX7 Heavy Bombardment Hammerhead Gunship: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x High-yield missile pod

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight
Commander: 4x Fusion blaster

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

XV9 Hazard Support Team

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 27 2017 08:26

I like the list but I really think that more Gun Drones could improve it, at the cost of dropping the Vespid. Think about it this way- two Gun Drones have the same cost as one Vespid Stingwing, and are more durable and offer more firepower. If you drop those 6 Vespid you can add 12 more Drones- 2 Shield Drones for each Fusion Blaster Commander, and 4 Gun Drones per XV9.

Garacaius
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 27 2017 09:33

Arka0415 wrote:I like the list but I really think that more Gun Drones could improve it, at the cost of dropping the Vespid. Think about it this way- two Gun Drones have the same cost as one Vespid Stingwing, and are more durable and offer more firepower. If you drop those 6 Vespid you can add 12 more Drones- 2 Shield Drones for each Fusion Blaster Commander, and 4 Gun Drones per XV9.

Take the XV9s in two Elite Slots, else you can only take four drones total. The wording is infuriatingly clear.

“Just one game,” they said and started to play. That was yesterday...

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Nov 27 2017 10:24

Garacaius wrote:The wording is infuriatingly clear.

As was I:

Arka0415 wrote:+4 Gun Drones on each XV9, and split them into two squads (+64)

Garacaius
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 28 2017 12:03

Arka0415 wrote:
Garacaius wrote:The wording is infuriatingly clear.

As was I:

Arka0415 wrote:+4 Gun Drones on each XV9, and split them into two squads (+64)

Perfect. Didn't see that post, though, apologies!

“Just one game,” they said and started to play. That was yesterday...

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Nov 29 2017 09:52

Cool list!

Two questions:

1) How have the Vespid gone? On paper they seem alright but I have never gotten around to taking any.

2) I love hazards; they are easily my favourite unit in the Tau codex. But I felt they weren't amazing in this edition. How do you find they fair compared to Burst Cannon Commanders or Drones?

Return to “Cadre Building”