Paired tournament 50pl

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
demurr
Shas

Paired tournament 50pl

Post#1 » Nov 28 2017 06:53

So I'm planing on going to a paired tournament with my Black templar buddy. He's gonna be fielding a drop poding leviathan and a alandraider with melee guys inside. My list is manta strike heavy. Here it is:

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [34 PL, 722pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 136pts]: Homing beacon
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Drone controller: Burst cannon, Drone controller
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Fusion blaster: Fusion blaster, Multi-tracker
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: Burst cannon, Shield generator

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 155pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV1 Gun Drone
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 255pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Flamer

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [16 PL, 302pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander [6 PL, 148pts]: 4x Cyclic ion blaster

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 32pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Total: [50 PL, 1024pts] ++

Plan here is to either win on turn one or... Not.
I'm really on the ropes about my fireblade, since he's pretty much gonna be footsloging alone and it seems liek a really bad idea. I only need him for that guaranteed markerlight to top off the 5 hits with the new stratagem and well the volley on drones would be nice but I don't think that many will survive when he reaches them. Do you guys think I should replace him? What with?

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Paired tournament 50pl

Post#2 » Nov 28 2017 09:36

Hey there. If your plan is winning in one turn you are going to have serious troubles... or most likely you wont be able to do it. The commanders and stealth's wont have enough fire power to swipe and almost 1/3 of your list wont be able to shoot arriving from deep strike the flamers just wont reach. PL gives you the chance to equip all you want on them if you are trying to hold a charge with the flamers i would recomend to take gun drones full CIBs or FB with the crisis 3 flamers makes them just a shield that smart players with a little luck can avoid.

I would also recommend to set an ATS over any unit with CIB's like your commander, i know you want those 12 shots but against 3+ saves in cover your shots will be blocked. This is just a personal take under my experience that -2AP has always played juicy to my favor.

Fireblades are just great and i would not remove him, IMO nothing in the 2PL range better than him other than more drones. Try to place him among a Pathfinder team a good position of him into cover and preferably on a second floor the 36" markerlight range will give you the chance to keep him there and mark your opponents, remember always to shoot with his marker firts.

Good luck there!
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 6500 PTS

demurr
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 28 2017 09:39

Thanks for the advice dude =)

Colt wrote:...and almost 1/3 of your list wont be able to shoot arriving from deep strike the flamers just wont reach. PL gives you the chance to equip all you want on them if you are trying to hold a charge with the flamers i would recomend to take gun drones full CIBs or FB with the crisis 3 flamers makes them just a shield that smart players with a little luck can avoid.

The plan with crisis suits is to have them arrive via the homing beacon and into flamer range. That's why one of stealth suits in both units has a shield gen. Think that ain't gonna work?

Kiran Tau
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 28 2017 10:37

Remember that missile pods and flamers cost thesame in pl games... I would go for long range in pl games
Shas'el Au'taal Elan'B (Strong Shepherd)

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 28 2017 11:46

Kiran Tau wrote:Remember that missile pods and flamers cost thesame in pl games... I would go for long range in pl games

I agree to a point. Flamers are great against those lists with lots of infantry models and are great against those pesky "-1 to hit" lists. But if it's abuse PL I would definitely take 3 or 4 squads of crisis with CIB and ATS and just go to work. Pathfinders with weapons also break PL games.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 28 2017 11:55

So this is a PL tournament, but are they using matched play rules, narrative rules, or open play rules? That does change strategies around a bit.

demurr
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 28 2017 12:36

Kiran Tau wrote:Remember that missile pods and flamers cost thesame in pl games... I would go for long range in pl games

My thinking behind an all flamer loadout for crisis suits is that unless equiped with flamers they will just miss all the time.

QimRas wrote:So this is a PL tournament, but are they using matched play rules, narrative rules, or open play rules? That does change strategies around a bit.

It's matched.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 28 2017 01:02

Hmm. If it were me, I would drop the two groups of pathfinders, and use those 6PL on maybe 4 Marksman and 4 Shield Drones, or do 5 Marksman and two Shields on your Stealth Team.

You can use the shields or gun drones as cover for the Marksman, since the Marksman are Characters. You'll end up with less marks than if all the Pathfinders are alive, but the Marksman are more likely to survive beyond the first few turns.

demurr
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 29 2017 05:36

I think I'm actually gonna go with CIBs on crisis suits!

The more I thought about it, the more it seemed to make sense. We do have the new stratagem after all.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Nov 29 2017 08:26

demurr wrote:I think I'm actually gonna go with CIBs on crisis suits!

The more I thought about it, the more it seemed to make sense. We do have the new stratagem after all.

I think that's the best way to do it. Here's how I'd write the list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (7 PL)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS (6 PL)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (7 PL)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (7 PL)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 6x Gun Drones (14 PL)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (3 PL)

Total: 49 PL - Command Points: 5 (1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

Your call on the Stealthsuit wargear but I'd do a Burst Cannon, Markerlight/Target Lock, and Drone Controller on the Shas'vre, Fusion Blaster and Multi-Tracker on one Shas'ui, and Burst Cannon and Shield Generator on the last Shas'ui. All in all this list is around 1253 points, which is sweet for a 50PL list!

Anyway, let your ally deal with melee/hordes and you skirmish and kill the high-value targets. What do you think?

demurr
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 30 2017 03:38

Arka0415 wrote:HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (7 PL)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS (6 PL)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 6x Gun Drones (14 PL)

Well I only have 10 patfinders and none of them have rail rifles. But I might be able to get some from a friend. But dou you think that 6 marker-finders will be enough?
Also, could you elaborate on the logic behind CIB and ATS combinations on those xv8s and a commander? =)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Nov 30 2017 04:08

demurr wrote:Well I only have 10 patfinders and none of them have rail rifles. But I might be able to get some from a friend. But dou you think that 6 marker-finders will be enough?

The idea here is that the Pathfinders get you 9 Rail Rifles, which is absolutely insane for just 9 PL. Since it's a pair tournament, don't bother with a ton of Markerlight support, since half of your army can't make use of them. Re-rolling ones here and there is enough I think.

demurr wrote:Also, could you elaborate on the logic behind CIB and ATS combinations on those xv8s and a commander? =)

Sorry, my mistake. CIB and ATS combination is very efficient in regular games, but in PL games, feel free to spam CIBs! Definitely replace all of the ATS with CIBs.

demurr
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 30 2017 06:04

Arka0415 wrote:The idea here is that the Pathfinders get you 9 Rail Rifles, which is absolutely insane for just 9 PL.

Looks like the best I can get my hands on before saturday is 4 rail rifles and 2 ion rifles. Is it worth it?

Coming to think of it, I might be able to get 3 more of each if I still have them on the sprue (which I might).

demurr
Shas

Post#14 » Dec 01 2017 03:34

One crucial thing that I forgot to mention is that the tournament limits the amount of the same unit you can have in your roster to 2. Thus I'll only field 2 pathfinder units and a single drone unit to adhere to the detachment as well. Here's the final list.

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [35 PL, 838pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 161pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Drone controller
. . Markerlight + Target Lock: Markerlight, Target lock

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 165pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Drone controller
. . Markerlight + Target Lock: Markerlight, Target lock

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 336pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Cyclic ion blaster

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [15 PL, 390pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 164pts]: 4x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 97pts]
. Pathfinder: Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle: 3x Rail rifle

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 97pts]
. Pathfinder: Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle: 3x Rail rifle

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 32pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Total: [50 PL, 1228pts] ++

demurr
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 02 2017 02:04

This went rather well, we took second place =) The new stratagem is quite good and I nabed like 5 CP total with the relic.

Return to “Cadre Building”