2000 pts, Best use of what I have.

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
jens
Shas'Saal

2000 pts, Best use of what I have.

Post#1 » Nov 30 2017 07:17

2000pts Army List
by Jens

-- Battalion Detachment: 3 CP, 54 PL, 878 Points --

HQ - Cadre Fireblade: 2PL, 42 Points
HQ - Cadre Fireblade: 2PL, 42 Points

TROOPS - Fire Warrior Team: 3 PL, 40 Points
4 x Fire Warriors with pulse rifles.
1 x Fire Warrior Shas'ui with pulse rifle, pulse pistol.

ELITES - XV15 Stealth Battlesuits: 6 PL 110 Points
1x Homing beacon
2x Stealth suit: burst canon
1x Stealth Shas'vre: burst canon

ELITES - XV15 Stealth Battlesuits: 6 PL 110 Points
1x Homing beacon
2x Stealth suit: burst canon
1x Stealth Shas'vre: burst canon

FAST ATTACK - Pathfinder Team: 3 PL, 40 Points
4 x Pathfinders with pulse carbines.
1 x Pathfinders Shas'ui with pulse carbines, pulse pistol.

FAST ATTACK - Tactical Drones: 6 PL, 80 Points
10 x MV1 Gun Drones

FAST ATTACK - Tactical Drones: 6 PL, 80 Points
10 x MV1 Gun Drones

DEDICATED TRANSPORT
2 x TY7 Devilfish: 7PL, 127 Points

-- Supreme Command Detachment: 1 CP, 54 PL, 1121 Points --

HQ - Commander: 7PL, 154 Points
3x Cyclic ion blaster, Advanced targeting system
2x MV4 Shield drones

HQ - Commander: 7PL, 154 Points
3x Cyclic ion blaster, Advanced targeting system
2x MV4 Shield drones

HQ - Commander: 7PL, 176 Points
4x Fusion blaster
2x MV4 Shield drones

HQ - Commander: 7PL, 176 Points
4x Fusion blaster
2x MV4 Shield drones

HQ - Longstrike: 11PL, 201 Points
Railgun, 2x Seeker missiles
2x MV1 Gun drones

ELITES - XV8 Crisis Bodyguards: 15PL, 260 Points
1x Crisis Bodyguard: Drone Controller, 2x Flamers
2x Crisis Bodyguards: 3x Flamers
6x MV1 Gun drones

Total : 1999pts

Notes :

I don't have a lot of new things. Money is tight ( just had a kid and bought a home ) I'm trying to be as versatile and mobile as i can with what I got. ( around 6000 points of 6th ed. + 3 new commanders, 2x Fireblades, and Longstrike )

The goal is to try and direct the opponents attention towards Longstrike and the bodyguards ( and the wall of death ), at least to guide the opponent, so I can flank him or fall in his back with any combination of Drone fishes, QFCs and CiCs. I'm aiming to place the Commanders in mantra first and the DroneFishes last.

If he sits back, Homing beacon + QFCs and/or Flamer crisis.

I expect the Stealth suits and the Strike teams to stand in the way, to die quite fast or just to be there to scratch some armour.

If I know what I'm playing ( I normally play against "in-your-face" armies like White scars. ) I can adjust the list, like just going normal Crisis instead of the Bodyguards and then add more drones, marker lights, whatnot.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 2000 pts, Best use of what I have.

Post#2 » Dec 04 2017 01:43

jens wrote:I don't have a lot of new things. Money is tight ( just had a kid and bought a home ) I'm trying to be as versatile and mobile as i can with what I got. ( around 6000 points of 6th ed. + 3 new commanders, 2x Fireblades, and Longstrike )

The goal is to try and direct the opponents attention towards Longstrike and the bodyguards ( and the wall of death ), at least to guide the opponent, so I can flank him or fall in his back with any combination of Drone fishes, QFCs and CiCs. I'm aiming to place the Commanders in mantra first and the DroneFishes last.

If he sits back, Homing beacon + QFCs and/or Flamer crisis.

I expect the Stealth suits and the Strike teams to stand in the way, to die quite fast or just to be there to scratch some armour.

If I know what I'm playing ( I normally play against "in-your-face" armies like White scars. ) I can adjust the list, like just going normal Crisis instead of the Bodyguards and then add more drones, marker lights, whatnot.

This list is very good, I think. Your HQ choices and Troops are essentially perfect; you'll have a lot of Command Points and a lot of very useful Commanders. The two things I'd modify would be your Elites and Fast Attack choices.

One thing though- about your tactics. Don't use Strike Teams to screen for anyone. They're too slow, use them as backfield objective-holders or turn 1 anti-Deep Strike bubble wrap units. Also, Longstrike and Flamer Bodyguards would make a fairly poor combination- let Longstrike hang back and use his huge range while the Flamer units Advance forward (or better yet, Manta Strike!) and do their shock-and-awe thing.

For Elites, it looks like you have 3 Elites in this army (two Stealthsuit squads and one XV8 squad), so why not make a Vanguard Detachment too? Also, remember that you can only use one Homing Beacon per turn, and you certainly want to deploy the Flamer XV8s and Fusion Commanders on turn 1. With that in mind, I'd drop one of the Stealthsuit Homing Beacons. Also, your Flamer XV8s will probably get very close to the enemy, and not necessarily in the same place as your Commanders- so, I would use regular XV8s, not Bodyguards.

For Fast Attack, remember that Morale will really hurt your Drones! For Devilfish units, don't use squads of 10x Gun Drones; rather, use two squads of 5x Gun Drones each. If you have the models you can also try for 5x+6x too. Also, you will have a lot of Command Points in this army, which means that you want more Markerlights- I'd definitely add Markerlights to your Fire Warrior units.

This will bring you to 1979 points- to fill the rest of the points, definitely give your Stealthsuits a Drone Controller each (your list has 26 Gun Drones), and maybe one Seeker Missile each on the Devilfish? Your call on the last few points though of course.

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (201)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (132)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon, Seeker Missile; 2x Gun Drones (132)
Elites - Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon (115)
Elites - Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller (95)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Flamers, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (251)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 1999 - Command Points: 9 (1 Supreme Command, 1 Battalion, 1 Vanguard, 1 Outrider Detachments)

jens
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 04 2017 03:06

Arka0415 wrote:Don't use Strike Teams to screen for anyone. They're too slow, use them as backfield objective-holders or turn 1 anti-Deep Strike bubble wrap units.

Ok, thanks! .. I've never really felt that they where that useful, didnt think about the anti-"deep strike", makes sense.

Arka0415 wrote:Also, Longstrike and Flamer Bodyguards would make a fairly poor combination- let Longstrike hang back and use his huge range while the Flamer units Advance forward (or better yet, Manta Strike!) and do their shock-and-awe thing.

Yes, the only reason I came to think of this, is first-and-foremost a post from this summer talking about it, but! also that when I'm playing against White Scars I've had problems in the past with him being in my face so early ( 70% of his army in CC turn 2 ) So.. a wall of fire near that juicy target ( Longstrike ) I'm hoping it can bring some hurt before my CiCs and Dronefishes fall in his back and kills the bikers.
If it was regular SM, I would put them in mantra.

Arka0415 wrote:For Elites, it looks like you have 3 Elites in this army (two Stealthsuit squads and one XV8 squad), so why not make a Vanguard Detachment too?

HA ! .. I didn't think of this .. I have a casual convention weekend coming up in feb. They haven't specified number of detachments .. what a brain fart, I think I only took two since that seems to be the norm ( for what I've seen ) at tournaments.

Arka0415 wrote:Also, remember that you can only use one Homing Beacon per turn, and you certainly want to deploy the Flamer XV8s and Fusion Commanders on turn 1. With that in mind, I'd drop one of the Stealthsuit Homing Beacons. Also, your Flamer XV8s will probably get very close to the enemy, and not necessarily in the same place as your Commanders- so, I would use regular XV8s, not Bodyguards.

Argh, I missed that about the Homing Beacons .. hmm ya I'll change this for sure.

Arka0415 wrote:For Fast Attack, remember that Morale will really hurt your Drones! For Devilfish units, don't use squads of 10x Gun Drones; rather, use two squads of 5x Gun Drones each. If you have the models you can also try for 5x+6x too.

Well yes if I can add more detachments .. sure, makes sense.

Arka0415 wrote:Also, you will have a lot of Command Points in this army, which means that you want more Markerlights- I'd definitely add Markerlights to your Fire Warrior units.

Ya, was one of my thoughts as well.

Arka0415 wrote:This will bring you to 1979 points- to fill the rest of the points, definitely give your Stealthsuits a Drone Controller each (your list has 26 Gun Drones), and maybe one Seeker Missile each on the Devilfish? Your call on the last few points though of course.

HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (201)
Elites - Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon (115)
Elites - Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller (95)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Flamers, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (251)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 1999 - Command Points: 9 (1 Supreme Command, 1 Battalion, 1 Vanguard, 1 Outrider Detachments)

Thanks for the reply!, I'll look into a refactor of my list :)

Btw, at the Con I'm attending in Feb. Besides the White Scar player, I know of another Tau player and a A. Mechanicus player attending, any experience with those armies in 8th ?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 05 2017 07:37

jens wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Don't use Strike Teams to screen for anyone. They're too slow, use them as backfield objective-holders or turn 1 anti-Deep Strike bubble wrap units.

Ok, thanks! .. I've never really felt that they where that useful, didnt think about the anti-"deep strike", makes sense.

If you want to screen units, use squads of Gun Drones! Otherwise, use Strike Teams to sit in the back (or advance slowly upfield) and take/hold objectives, or deploy them cleverly so your opponent can't, say, teleport Terminators in next to Longstrike or something like that. Pay attention to your opponent's deployment, remember the units that are in reserve, and keep in mind what those units can do when you deploy.

jens wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Also, Longstrike and Flamer Bodyguards would make a fairly poor combination- let Longstrike hang back and use his huge range while the Flamer units Advance forward (or better yet, Manta Strike!) and do their shock-and-awe thing.

Yes, the only reason I came to think of this, is first-and-foremost a post from this summer talking about it, but! also that when I'm playing against White Scars I've had problems in the past with him being in my face so early ( 70% of his army in CC turn 2 ) So.. a wall of fire near that juicy target ( Longstrike ) I'm hoping it can bring some hurt before my CiCs and Dronefishes fall in his back and kills the bikers.

If you're sure the enemy is going to come at you really fast, then of course you'll want to try some defensive measures. I think that making the XV8s bodyguards won't do the trick though- you can't chain wounds on Longstrike to Bodyguards then to drones, so you'd basically be losing a Bodyguard (or two) each time a shot hits Longstrike. That might not be the best idea! If you're up against a super-fast army, like White Scars or Harlequins, definitely try the Flamer XV8s as defensive units, but maybe not as Bodyguards? Just my thought there.

jens wrote:I think I only took two since that seems to be the norm ( for what I've seen ) at tournaments.

So far the major tournaments seem to be following the three-detachments rule. Are your local ones doing two detachments?

jens wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:For Fast Attack, remember that Morale will really hurt your Drones! For Devilfish units, don't use squads of 10x Gun Drones; rather, use two squads of 5x Gun Drones each. If you have the models you can also try for 5x+6x too.

Well yes if I can add more detachments .. sure, makes sense.

You can add more drones even if you get only two detachments. Just take a Battalion and an Outrider Detachment.

jens wrote:Btw, at the Con I'm attending in Feb. Besides the White Scar player, I know of another Tau player and a A. Mechanicus player attending, any experience with those armies in 8th ?

White Scars seem pretty unpopular right now, seeing as their rules (bizarrely) favor Jump Infantry over Bikers! Castle up and prepare for charges. No matter what they're going to be a low model-count army, so as long as you measure distances properly and avoid a turn one charge, you can use your mobility to counter-attack and erase their units before they get their charge off. Also be aware that White Scars don't need to rush you with all of their units- it's possible that they may keep some Lascannons or other weapons in their own backfield. If they do, remember that those units could be great deep strike targets!

AdMech are a challenging for in the current edition, as they do in fact out-shoot us. However, they're not very mobile, nor their infantry very tough. The key here is to focus everything on the dangerous units, such as Kastellan Robots, Onager Dunecrawlers, and Knights. Just like Necrons, they repair themselves- so kill units one by one to make render those repair abilities useless.

Return to “Cadre Building”