1000 point Ball and Chain event list help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
BallsMcGee94
Shas

1000 point Ball and Chain event list help

Post#1 » Dec 01 2017 10:22

Hello all! I will be attending a 1000 point tournament soon and Im trying to work out a good list. We will all be randomly paired with another person each round and scoring will be on an individual basis. Here is the list I am considering as of now:

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [18 PL, 476pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 156pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Missile pod

Commander [6 PL, 160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster

Commander [6 PL, 160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [39 PL, 524pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Longstrike [11 PL, 225pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Railgun, 2x Seeker missile

+ Troops +

Strike Team [6 PL, 59pts]: MV36 Guardian Drone
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [8 PL, 80pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

++ Total: [57 PL, 1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I think this has a lot to offer, good high toughness and wound killing potential, as well as plenty of dakka for infantry.

I have around 25 fire warriors, 15 pathfinders as well as 2 devilfish and a slew of crisis suits(using as commanders currently) along with one unit of stealth suits, a ghostkeel, 2 RIPtides and 2 broadsides and 1 ethereal and 1 fireblade.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: 1000 point Ball and Chain event list help

Post#2 » Dec 04 2017 12:53

Fireblade with so few fire warriors and zero gun drones is a poor investment in my opinion. Either drop the fireblade or add gun drones.

Longstrike is decent but I would probably trade him for a CIB commander.

Drop the guardian drones on the strike teams and make them min squads at 5 with hidden lights so that you are only spending 43 points per squad instead of 59. The firewarriors are just tax to get a battalion so don't make it any more expensive than absolutely necessary.

Trade the missile pod commander for CIB commander. It's cheaper and better.

Not a huge fan of adding the pathfinder drones with so few firewarriors in the list. Again, spending a lot of points on a tax unit.

I recommend either building this list to utilize our new markerlight strat IE lots of extra CP due to battalion detachments and lots of bs3+ and 4+ units OR going straight up commander and drone spam and ignoring most other units except for the obligatory 1 markerlight token required for every turn. Currently your list has lots of bs2+ damage dealers but still carries the firewarrior tax. Trade them for gun drones which double as damage or extra wounds for your commanders and you should see you rlist improve just from that change alone. Choice is yours as I'm not sure we hav emuch math or experience as to how much the new strat improved our other units.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 05 2017 07:52

I absolutely agree with Yojimbob (as always, I'm sensing a theme here!). You have enough anti-tank with those Fusion Commanders, so drop Longstrike. Also drop the drones from your Fire Warrior teams, and give Shield Drones to your Commanders.

What models do you have? A fourth Commander could definitely help (as always!) but Gun Drones could be very effective too. Here's two lists I'm imagining:

-

Commander Spam: 1000 points

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Gun Drones (154)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drones (131)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)

Total: 999 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Supreme Command Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 07 2017 12:02

Hi there,

I also agree with what Arka and Yojimbob have said for the most part. To complement the relatively close ranged army we are these days(15" being our basic troop optimal range) I'd suggest running a coldstar. They offer a huge amount of versatility, being able to assassinate 'soft' characters like guardsman officers/farseers by flying up next to them and shooting them, or being able to shut down several units worth of shooting by getting to the backlines and charging. Few opponents expect such an aggressive tactic and you can catch people off guard with it. Sure the CIB commander has much more offence on paper, but I've had a lot of success running one of these against a variety of opponents just because of the sheer tactical flexibility it offers me. They are also excellent at grabbing objectives. Almost nothing is out of their reach.

Anyway, hope that might help!
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

Return to “Cadre Building”