New to Tau: I did a thing, Help!

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
viper9873
Shas

New to Tau: I did a thing, Help!

Post#1 » Dec 02 2017 05:38

So I got a good deal on a fair bit of stuff to start me off on a t'au Army (why did the name change?) I have played around with a few lists but nothing worth writing down. I got just over 1600 points for it. First I've listed what I've got and would like to know some lists you can generate without adding anything. I tend to play casual and only have 3 games of 8th edition under my belt with marines (haven't played since 4th/5th), my group is casual but not hugely fluffy. Would appreciate answers to the questions at the end of the post but any lists will be looked at and considered.

So, what I have is:

12 gun drones
2 shield drones
Pathfinders box (unbuilt)
Fire warriors box (unbuilt, may not all be there)
1 commander, cyclic ion, plasma, burst cannon, ats, drones unbuilt from box
1 crisis suit, fusion, burst cannon, support system
4 crisis suits unbuilt, 4 fusion, 4 flamer, 4 missile pod, three plasma, three burst cannon,
3 stealth suits, burst cannon
2 piranha, 1 w fusion, 1 wi burst cannon (2 extra gun drones each, not included in other drones)
1 hammerhead w rail and 2 burst cannon (bought it assembled :( )
1 hammerhead unbuilt
1 RIPtide unbuilt I think (is an unbuilt big suit)
12 warriors with rifle,
Another 24 with a split of carbines and rifles. Don't think it is evenly split and they have different colour schemes as they were bought separately. Each 12 isn't even two squads of 6 I don't think but could be, haven't checked.
2 more drones could be either shield or gun, not sure.
9 sniper drones and a marksman w drone controller.

Beyond lists my questions are:
For flavour reasons, I understand T'au use camouflage and the marking colour determines the Sept, is that correct? I am waiting to decide which sept I choose till the codex comes out but being casual I don't think it matters. I'm only asking as I have bought some stuff painted different colours (all off the same guy, weirdly) and would like to use them in one detachment so would like to know if this is possible?

I have very little knowledge of the back story of T'au, I have read several posts and considered making one of the unbuilt crisis suits a QFC but that uses all my fusion blasters. Are there sprews available for just t'au guns? I know cyclic ion blasters are like gold dust at the moment (1 in commander boxes and that's it).

What would be worth adding to this list? I feel a ghost keel and some equipment would make it up to around 2000 points but is this worth it? Is 4 crisis suits where one has fixed weapons and the others have different weapons is an issue. Am i better off trying to get 5 more flamers for three and running the fourth as qfc and fixed weapons Crisis as another commander and add a fourth weapon to him? If I do l, what should I give him? Of the weapons I have is there a better choice than flamer? I don't have access to cyclic ions but I hear they are good.

I think the fire warriors can be made as breachers and was intending to give pathfinders ion rifles that can take them. I may also have a cadre fireblade conversion.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: New to Tau: I did a thing, Help!

Post#2 » Dec 03 2017 02:44

Well, first off, we need a solid core to the list. I am assuming you don't care about WYSIWYG?

So, a casual list.

So a good core list you can tweak would look like this:

BATTALION:

Commander:
4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Shield Drones (176)

Commander:
2x Missile Pod, ATS, Stim Injector (119)

Fire Warrior Strike Team:
10x Fire Warriors, Pulse Pistol, Markerlight (83)

10x Fire Warriros, Pulse Pistol, Markerlight (83)

10x Fire Warriors, Pulse Pistol, Markerlight (83)

3x Crisis Suits:
6x Plasma Rifles, 3x Flamers (219)

3x Stealth Suits:
3x Burst Cannon, Homing Beacon, 3x ATS (134)

10x Pathfinders:
Pulse Pistol, 10x Markerlights, Pulse Accelerator Drone, 2x Gun Drones (104)

TOTAL:
1,001 Points

6CP

So the fire warriors and pathfinders form a core around which to build the rest of your list. The Stealth Suits are to emable the crisis suits or the quad fusion commander to get up and do some damage close to the enemy, as well as causing havoc on a flank once the homing beacon is dropped. The other commander is to babysit the gunline of fire warriors and sit on a backfield objective. The Pulse Accelerator Drone is to give the fire warriors some extra range.

What do you think? it will be pretty much WYSIWYG, except for the crisis and the commander.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 03 2017 03:33

viper9873 wrote:First I've listed what I've got and would like to know some lists you can generate without adding anything. I tend to play casual and only have 3 games of 8th edition under my belt with marines (haven't played since 4th/5th), my group is casual but not hugely fluffy. Would appreciate answers to the questions at the end of the post but any lists will be looked at and considered.

We'd be happy to help! By rand large, the "good" Tau units in the current edition are:

Commanders (For anti-tank)
Fireblades (To buff Gun Drones and Fire Warriors)
Fire Warriors (To make Battalions and get Command Points)
XV8s (For Flamers and Cyclic Ion Blasters)
Stealthsuits (For deploying Homing Beacons)
Gun Drones (The best anti-infantry option in our Index)
Pathfinders (For Markerlights and special weapons)

viper9873 wrote:For flavour reasons, I understand T'au use camouflage and the marking colour determines the Sept, is that correct? I am waiting to decide which sept I choose till the codex comes out but being casual I don't think it matters. I'm only asking as I have bought some stuff painted different colours (all off the same guy, weirdly) and would like to use them in one detachment so would like to know if this is possible?

Yeah, the colored markings determine the sept, and thus the faction keyword for the units. Remember that it may be confusing for your opponents if your army is all different colors though.

viper9873 wrote:I have very little knowledge of the back story of T'au, I have read several posts and considered making one of the unbuilt crisis suits a QFC but that uses all my fusion blasters. Are there sprews available for just t'au guns? I know cyclic ion blasters are like gold dust at the moment (1 in commander boxes and that's it).

Commanders with Fusion Blaster are some of the best units in our Index. If you have a Commander, and you have at least four Fusion Blasters, you should make one!

viper9873 wrote:What would be worth adding to this list? I feel a ghost keel and some equipment would make it up to around 2000 points but is this worth it? Is 4 crisis suits where one has fixed weapons and the others have different weapons is an issue. Am i better off trying to get 5 more flamers for three and running the fourth as qfc and fixed weapons Crisis as another commander and add a fourth weapon to him? If I do l, what should I give him? Of the weapons I have is there a better choice than flamer? I don't have access to cyclic ions but I hear they are good.

By and large, you're going to want to have a compact infantry "core" (15-18 models), Pathfinder support, and then the main "punch" of your army should be Commanders, XV8s, and Stealthsuits. Remember to take Gun Drones to accompany your battlesuits, and in squads by themselves, but never accompanying infantry- pairs of Gun Drones are too easy to kill.

SniperTau wrote:Well, first off, we need a solid core to the list. I am assuming you don't care about WYSIWYG?

So, a casual list.

So a good core list you can tweak would look like this

I know Viper9873 isn't making a tournament list, but there's no reason to make it casual. Commanders and Fire Warriors are good, but you're stacking too many infantry models with no morale support, and ignoring Gun Drones! We can make this list much more streamlined.

As I said before, you're going to need infantry, battlesuits, and drones. Here's a solid core for a 1500-point list:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Gun Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon (126)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

This is 844 points, and weighted a little heavily toward anti-infantry firepower. Since you only have one Commander, a good choice would be to add Hammerheads for anti-tank support. Let's add the following units:

HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x Smart Missile Systems, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead Gunship w/ Railgun, 2x Burst Cannons, 2x Seeker Missiles (181)

Now we're at 1249 points, we still have room to grow. Let's ignore the riptide, and add your Piranhas, remaining Gun Drones, and another squad of Fire Warriors just to round out the list.

Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Gun Drones (71)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Gun Drones (82)

Here's the completed 1500-point list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Gun Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x Smart Missile Systems, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon (126)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Gun Drones (71)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Gun Drones (82)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead Gunship w/ Railgun, 2x Burst Cannons, 2x Seeker Missiles (181)

Total: 1502 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?

viper9873
Shas

Post#4 » Dec 03 2017 06:11

I like the list. I had one idea that gave me a brigade but that didn't account for Longstrike being a HQ. It was very similar to your list but dropped some points for foresight marksman, sniper drones and more troops. I know sniper drones sent great but it was just for the extra cp. but with longstrike a HQ I think I'm one solid heavy support choice short of a brigade and your list looks fast and shooty which sounds sweet. Thanks for your help.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 03 2017 06:44

viper9873 wrote:I like the list. I had one idea that gave me a brigade but that didn't account for Longstrike being a HQ. It was very similar to your list but dropped some points for foresight marksman, sniper drones and more troops. I know sniper drones sent great but it was just for the extra cp. but with longstrike a HQ I think I'm one solid heavy support choice short of a brigade and your list looks fast and shooty which sounds sweet. Thanks for your help.

If you add the Sniper Drones, in two squads of 3 with the Firesight Marksman, then you'd have a Brigade. However, do remember that Sniper Drones aren't good units- you'd basically be spending 100+ points on the extra CP, with the Sniper Drones as a bonus (and not the other way around). In a 2000-point list I guess I could understand doing this, but definitely not at 1500 points. Though honestly, I'd hold off on using Sniper Drones until the Codex comes out- for the time being they're very poor choices.

Try that list out for a few games and let us know how it goes!

Return to “Cadre Building”