Ke'lshan Cadre RFC

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Ke'lshan Cadre RFC

Post#1 » Dec 03 2017 05:19

I've managed two 2,000 point 8th edition games. They also happen to be my first large games since many many moons ago! Lost 1 Won 1, but I think the win is invalid as my opponent, unbeknown to him, had (I'm sure) 500 points shy of his total points - but, this is war and it's still a win! :)

I created this list, mostly because I like a lot of infantry, and also mostly because I've mostly painted infantry :) But happy for any suggestions for any obvious problems with it, or how I can tune it in places.

On the game I lost, being up against a Stormfang, it took out 1 Hammerhead in turn 1 and another Hammerhead in turn 2. In hindsight, I didn't drop the commander on top of it, but feel that would have done some damage. Tips how to take out these large beasts would be appreciated!

Oh, and I hate smite - 5 mortal wounds on the roll of just 2D6! - let's hope T'au get the tin-hat stratagem.

Spoiler!
++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [106 PL, 2000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 50pts]: Markerlight, MV4 Shield Drone

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Troops +

Breacher Team [5 PL, 80pts]: 10x Fire Warrior

Strike Team [6 PL, 96pts]: 12x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [6 PL, 88pts]: 11x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Carbine

Strike Team [6 PL, 96pts]: 12x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [6 PL, 98pts]
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 2x Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 254pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Flamer

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 254pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Flamer

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 92pts]
. 7x Pathfinder: 7x Markerlight
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: 3x Ion rifle

+ Heavy Support +

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [10 PL, 195pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Railgun

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [10 PL, 212pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Ion cannon

+ Flyer +

DX6 Remora Stealth Drone Squadron [3 PL, 91pts]
. DX6 'Remora' Stealth Drone w/ 2x Seeker missile: 2x Long-barelled burst cannon, 2x Seeker missile

DX6 Remora Stealth Drone Squadron [3 PL, 91pts]
. DX6 'Remora' Stealth Drone w/ 2x Seeker missile: 2x Long-barelled burst cannon, 2x Seeker missile

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, 127pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon

++ Total: [106 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe
Last edited by n1md4 on Dec 05 2017 09:49, edited 2 times in total.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Callumibob
Shas

Re: Ke'lshan Cadre RFC

Post#2 » Dec 04 2017 07:34

Personally I’d swap the ATS for drone controller and maybe run all gun drones on the xv8 teams? I’ve always thought a 5+ on a shield drone is a bit meh when traded off against 8 shots on the carbines.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Dec 04 2017 11:42

Callumibob wrote:Personally I’d swap the ATS for drone controller and maybe run all gun drones on the xv8 teams? I’ve always thought a 5+ on a shield drone is a bit meh when traded off against 8 shots on the carbines.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a think about that. Although, the MV4 Shield Drones have a 4+
invulnerable save.

Callumibob
Shas

Post#4 » Dec 04 2017 05:56

Ah my bad I miss read the rule. :?

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Dec 04 2017 08:52

Not only that but add according to updates if a shield drone fails the +4 invul it then rolls again and on a +5 it doesn't!...

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-c ... s_2_en.pdf

Also noticed, using drone protocol the drones suffer a mortal wound, so result not worth talking a shield done, as the ability is nullified.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Dec 04 2017 09:01

n1md4 wrote:Not only that but add according to updates if a shield drone fails the +4 invul it then rolls again and on a +5 it doesn't!...

Also noticed, using drone protocol the drones suffer a mortal wound, so result not worth talking a shield done, as the ability is nullified.

The Shield Drone can save against mortal wounds on a 5+, that's the whole point of taking them.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 05 2017 09:36

Arka0415 wrote:
n1md4 wrote:Not only that but add according to updates if a shield drone fails the +4 invul it then rolls again and on a +5 it doesn't!...

The Shield Drone can save against mortal wounds on a 5+, that's the whole point of taking them.

And the whole reason for the faq update to give them this ability. It was pretty silly when they weren't able to actually do anything to protect other units.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Dec 05 2017 09:49

Good to know.

So the list itself, looks okay?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Dec 05 2017 08:23

n1md4 wrote:So the list itself, looks okay?

It's a good start but there are a lot of changes we can make- the first and most important thing is reducing squad sizes and adding redundancy. Why have just one model in a squad with ATS? Make your models identical to each other, to the extent that you can- it'll make the units more efficient and more reliable, and also save you from rolling the dice separately!

With that in mind, let's fix the loadouts on the Stealthsuits and XV8s, so each model is identical. In addition, you're probably going to use your Flamer XV8s in conjunction with your Stealthsuits, so let's add a Homing Beacon for good measure. Finally, two Flamer squads seems like a bit too much, since you have many other sources of anti-infantry, so let's upgrade one squad to carry CIBs and ATS instead.

Next, on squad size, you don't have any Ethereals or morale-boosing auras, so your large squads will lose models due to morale. Let's split each squad down into two smaller squads.

Also, all in all, you have way too many Fire Warriors. The whole point of Fire Warriors is to make Battalions and get Command Points, but with so few HQs you can't get that benefit. So let's drop a dozen or so of them, preferably the ones with Pulse Carbines. Let's drop that rogue Shield Drone while we're at it too.

For your Hammerheads, I hate to say it but Hammerheads aren't good unless one is Longstrike, and even then they're only so-so. Let's add Longstrike though, and save points by giving them both Railguns.

Here's how the list would look with these changes:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 5x Breachers (40)
Troops - 5x Breachers (40)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead Gunship w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (205)
Flyer - Remora Stealth Drone w/ 2x Long-Barreled Burst Cannons, 2x Seeker Missiles (91)
Flyer - Remora Stealth Drone w/ 2x Long-Barreled Burst Cannons, 2x Seeker Missiles (91)

Total: 2004 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

A couple points over but we can discuss point-trimming later. What do you think?

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Dec 05 2017 09:34

That's brilliant, thanks!

So I'm thinking drop the DF and 1x Remora, split the troops in half to create another battalion, adding another QFC and Fireblade (or Ethereal) 10 CP and 2004 points.

What do you think?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Dec 05 2017 09:55

n1md4 wrote:So I'm thinking drop the DF and 1x Remora, split the troops in half to create another battalion, adding another QFC and Fireblade. 10 CP and 2004 points.

What do you think?

More Fusion Commanders are always good! However, with no Devilfish, what will your Breachers be doing? I'd swap the Breachers for more Fire Warriors if you go down that route. Also, you'll be a few points over, so maybe give the normal Hammerhead a pair of Gun Drones instead of SMS?

Here's how that list might look:
-

HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead Gunship w/ Railgun, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (181)

Total: 2002 - Command Points: 10 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

Look interesting?

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Dec 05 2017 10:19

Yes. I'm liking this a lot!

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Dec 06 2017 10:50

Swap out the second FB for darkstrider with this many units without the fly keyword. This will allow them to retreat and shoot. This will make your army a bit more blobby by having 30 FW surrounding 2 characters but I had a lot of fun with this setup in the early games of 8th. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Dec 06 2017 09:40

Yojimbob wrote:Swap out the second FB for darkstrider with this many units without the fly keyword. This will allow them to retreat and shoot. This will make your army a bit more blobby by having 30 FW surrounding 2 characters but I had a lot of fun with this setup in the early games of 8th. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Didn't even think about that! That's a good idea- replace the redundant buff from the second Fireblade with Darkstrider's unique defensive buff, and still keep the second BS2+ Markerlight.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Dec 07 2017 11:02

Arka0415 wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:Swap out the second FB for darkstrider with this many units without the fly keyword. This will allow them to retreat and shoot. This will make your army a bit more blobby by having 30 FW surrounding 2 characters but I had a lot of fun with this setup in the early games of 8th. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

Didn't even think about that! That's a good idea- replace the redundant buff from the second Fireblade with Darkstrider's unique defensive buff, and still keep the second BS2+ Markerlight.

Yup, but obviously if you planned on splitting the groups(not a good idea in my opinion) then you'd need the second but generally don't find this very necessary.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Dec 07 2017 12:02

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see which matches my play style. At some point I might like to drop back in the Breachers and Devilfish, in exchange for a Strike team and Remora.

Return to “Cadre Building”