Kau'ui Che Lel (Lighting Cadre)

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: First Cadre List

Post#19 » Jan 10 2018 03:52

Sorry, I forgot to point what it was! In your original post you stated the loadouts of your XV8 squads as:

Shas'la Cali Nate wrote:Elites - 3xv8s w/ 6 flamers, 2 Shield Generators, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (201)
Elites - 3xv8s w/ 6 CIBs, 2 Shield Generators, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (255)

When actually those squads cost 249 and 301 points respectively.

Anyway, about the remaining points- Seekers you don't need to bother with if you don't want to, they're not all that good. Anyway, a single Shield Drone can be targeted outright so it's basically just handing First Blood to an opponent who notices it.

Shas'la Cali Nate wrote:I'm curious as to why you don't like the shields.

XV8s already don't have very good firepower, even stacking 9x of the same gun still feels a little weak for the points cost. If the two Shield Generators were a guarantee that the squad would survive another turn they'd be great, but they only provide a 4++ save. Personally I feel the loss of firepower is just too great.

That said though, if the Shield Generators keep the squad alive in a situation where they'd otherwise be dead, then that's fantastic.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Jan 10 2018 04:00

Found a few other things- your CIB squad costs 303 points and my list idea was 1975, not 1999, as I'd added ATS to the Stealthsuits in my calculations (I had thought they were in your list already). Anyway you have 25 points open in that list.

Also, in your list, you seem to have added two Stealthsuit squads, not one. That would make your list 2101 points, so I assume it's a mistake too- the list should only have one Stealthsuit squad. Anyway, correcting these other issues leaves you with a list like this:

-

HQ - Farsight (151)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight; 2x Shield Drones (58)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (126)
Elites - 3xv8s w/ 6x Flamers, 2x Shield Generators, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (249)
Elites - 3xv8s w/ 6x CIBs, 2x Shield Generators, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (303)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (71)

Total: 1975 Points - Command Points 10 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

With 25 points to spend you could add three Pathfinders (I think that's the best option personally) or three ATS on the Stealthsuits.

What do you think?

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jan 10 2018 04:42

Arka0415 wrote:Also, in your list, you seem to have added two Stealthsuit squads, not one. That would make your list 2101 points, so I assume it's a mistake too- the list should only have one Stealthsuit squad.

Ahh a copy/paste error. Good catch.

Arka0415 wrote:Seekers you don't need to bother with if you don't want to, they're not all that good. Anyway, a single Shield Drone can be targeted outright so it's basically just handing First Blood to an opponent who notices it.

Ooh that's a good point that I hadn't even begun to consider. I'm just barely past the point where I'm not always tabled so I've been less worried about the VP end of things.

Arka0415 wrote:With 25 points to spend you could add three Pathfinders (I think that's the best option personally) or three ATS on the Stealthsuits.

What do you think?

(I think that "What do you think?" is the most common phrase you type :P )
I think the pathfinders is the best option, my local group is wise to the importance of the stealth team. So since they're not long for this world, no reason to waste points there.

So now the list is looking like

-

HQ - Farsight (151)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (126)
Elites - 3xv8s w/ 6x Flamers, 2x Shield Generators, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (249)
Elites - 3xv8s w/ 6x CIBs, 2x Shield Generators, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (303)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (48)

Total: 1999 Points - Command Points 10 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Outrider Detachment)

I think that list will hold up well against lots of different armies, if I can play it right, but that's where the fun comes from :D

Thanks once again for the detail and help you put into rookies like me. It means a lot and makes the hobby easier to really get into (So while I thank you my wallet may curse you! :dead:). Now to go finish assembly and get the rest painted!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Jan 10 2018 05:04

Shas'la Cali Nate wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Seekers you don't need to bother with if you don't want to, they're not all that good. Anyway, a single Shield Drone can be targeted outright so it's basically just handing First Blood to an opponent who notices it.

Ooh that's a good point that I hadn't even begun to consider. I'm just barely past the point where I'm not always tabled so I've been less worried about the VP end of things.

Gotcha! Tactics are important, but let that come with time. Get games in, learn your opponents' armies, and maybe even keep a log of your mistakes and what you've learned in each game. For the time being, just focus on getting a feel for the army and don't worry too much about the little things (for now!).

Shas'la Cali Nate wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:With 25 points to spend you could add three Pathfinders (I think that's the best option personally) or three ATS on the Stealthsuits.

I think the pathfinders is the best option, my local group is wise to the importance of the stealth team. So since they're not long for this world, no reason to waste points there.

Sounds good then. 3x6 is also my preferred deployment for Pathfinders, as each squad puts out a statistical 3 hits, which just happen to be the right number to combo with Uplinked Markerlight for those beautiful 5 Markerlight tokens!

Shas'la Cali Nate wrote:I think that "What do you think?" is the most common phrase you type :P

I think it's important actually. I'm just a guy on the internet talking about Tau- I'm not building your models or playing with your army! So the most important thing is what you think, as they player who's actually doing it all! :D

Shas'la Cali Nate wrote:HQ - Farsight (151)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)

Total: 1999 Points - Command Points 10 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Outrider Detachment)

I think that list will hold up well against lots of different armies, if I can play it right, but that's where the fun comes from :D

Thanks once again for the detail and help you put into rookies like me. It means a lot and makes the hobby easier to really get into (So while I thank you my wallet may curse you! :dead:). Now to go finish assembly and get the rest painted!

Enjoy! Play some games and figure out the strong and weak points of the list. Just as a tip, focus on the Devilfish and Flamer squad, since those are the most difficult to use properly. Good luck!

Return to “Cadre Building”