Y'vahra 1500 list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
demurr
Shas

Y'vahra 1500 list

Post#1 » Dec 11 2017 05:08

So for the lognest time I wanted to get my hand on an Y'vahra which apart from being great in it's pre-codex state also looks stunning. And after taking an odd job that took all of my free time this week I'm finally getting one. So I've decided to build a list around that. There's a paired tournament coming which me and my Black templar buddy might or might not join but either way, here's the list. I look forward to hearing your comments and critisism.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [46 PL, 914pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Commander [7 PL, 154pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [3 PL, 43pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [20 PL, 415pts]: Advanced targeting system, Target lock

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [30 PL, 585pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 150pts]: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Shield generator

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 161pts]: Homing beacon, MV1 Gun Drone, MV4 Shield Drone
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Fusion blaster: Fusion blaster, Multi-tracker
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: Burst cannon, Shield generator
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Drone controller
. . Markerlight + Target Lock: Markerlight, Target lock

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 141pts]: MV1 Gun Drone, MV4 Shield Drone
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Fusion blaster: Fusion blaster, Multi-tracker
. Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: Burst cannon, Shield generator
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Drone controller
. . Markerlight + Target Lock: Markerlight, Target lock

XV9 Hazard Support Team [9 PL, 133pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. XV9 Hazard Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, 2x Double-barelled burst cannon

++ Total: [76 PL, 1499pts] ++

The idea is to get Y'vahra as far as possible into the enemy deployment at turn one while droping as many drones to protocol it as i can. The one thing I'm mostly concerned about is that I don't have all that many drones and I'm not quite sure as to how many shields vs guns should I take. And I'll probably replace the non-homing-beacon stealth suits with a second XV9 with 4 more drones.

Kiran Tau
Shas'Saal

Re: Y'vahra 1500 list

Post#2 » Dec 11 2017 07:44

demurr

I really like your list! I think it looks very solid! As you suggested yourself would i also recomend that you switch the stealth team for an additional Xv9 with GDs... you should furthermore get at least 4 or 6 shield drones that can be with the y'vahra in case you don't get first turn, unless you are sure that there is great LOS terrain or that your buddy has a lot of primary threats...
Shas'el Au'taal Elan'B (Strong Shepherd)

demurr
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 11 2017 07:51

Kiran Tau wrote:demurr

I really like your list! I think it looks very solid! As you suggested yourself would i also recomend that you switch the stealth team for an additional Xv9 with GDs... you should furthermore get at least 4 or 6 shield drones that can be with the y'vahra in case you don't get first turn, unless you are sure that there is great LOS terrain or that your buddy has a lot of primary threats...

Damn, you're right. I was had all those drones planed out to be there when Y'vahra gets into enemy territory but I forgout that I have to deploy it and there's a good chance it'll attract fire before it gets a chance to move. Hmm :-? Providing it with shield drones at start that are not gonna be able to catch up to it later on seems like a waste, but probably a necessary one.

Kiran Tau
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 11 2017 09:02

well shield drones arent that slow... 8 + d6 inches a turn is not bad, and if you deploy them close to the line of your deployment zone then they can perhaps touch the end of the y'vahra base as it moves forward in the first turn if necessary.
Shas'el Au'taal Elan'B (Strong Shepherd)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 13 2017 09:58

I agree with the previous suggestions, and I would provide the Y'vahra with Shield Drones at the start. It may run away from its Drones (they move avg. 11.5" while it moves 16") but you can drop in the XV9s to provide the Y'vahra with more Drones. Try Gun Drones with the XV9s for more firepower for now, but you may find that Shield Drones are better. Just keep that in mind. Anyway, here's how I'd do the list personally:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x CIBs, ATS; 2x Shield Drone (154)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & Multi-Tracker, 2x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon (128)
Elites - XV9 w/ 2x DBBC, ATS; 4x Gun Drones (133)
Elites - XV9 w/ 2x DBBC, ATS; 4x Gun Drones (133)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Target Lock, ATS (415)
Fast Attack - 4x Shield Drones (32)

Total: 1498 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

A simple change but I think it could be valuable. Anyway, what do you think?

demurr
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 19 2017 03:02

Arka0415 wrote:A simple change but I think it could be valuable. Anyway, what do you think?

Thanks for the input Arka, your's is always a one worth waiting for =)

I've toyed with the nuances of your suggestions a bit.
- In the end I decided to keep the shield gen on the stealth suits, just so that at least two of them have a better chance of surviving till the end of the first turn if I don't get initiative when my fusion commander is really gonna want that homing beacon ready and waiting.
- Stims instead of target lock in Y'vahra. I think I will manage to get those three marker hits for the IDC and the stims should help keep the 400 points monster alive till later turns.
- The last thing I did was spliting the 4 man drone team up to absolutely avoid having morale as an issue for them because why not. 2 go to the coldstar commander that gets deployed hugging the Y'vahra anyway. 1 goes to a strike team nearby. And the last one is actually the Y'vahra's own drone. The one that gets 3++ that I will obviously never get to use, but can you blame me for hoping? Also that'll give me a reason to paint it in the commander inverted colours which I find always looks good on the board =)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Dec 19 2017 08:34

demurr wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:A simple change but I think it could be valuable. Anyway, what do you think?

Thanks for the input Arka, your's is always a one worth waiting for =)

Aww, thanks! :D

demurr wrote:Stims instead of target lock in Y'vahra. I think I will manage to get those three marker hits for the IDC and the stims should help keep the 400 points monster alive till later turns.

If you can manage the Markerlight hits, then the Stimulant Injector is definitely a better choice. It's more moving parts than usual though, so for new Y'vahra players it could be tricky. Just something to watch out for.

demurr wrote:The last thing I did was spliting the 4 man drone team up to absolutely avoid having morale as an issue for them because why not. 2 go to the coldstar commander that gets deployed hugging the Y'vahra anyway. 1 goes to a strike team nearby. And the last one is actually the Y'vahra's own drone. The one that gets 3++ that I will obviously never get to use, but can you blame me for hoping? Also that'll give me a reason to paint it in the commander inverted colours which I find always looks good on the board =)

I'm not sure how the points work out since you don't have the final list written out, but I would try to give the Y'vahra both of the unique MV52 Shield Drones if you do that (instead of giving one drone to a Strike Team). Single drones are just so easy to kill and steal First Blood or points in Kill Point missions. The MV52 Drones may seem like a waste (since they rarely get their full 3++ save), but you'd be paying the extra few points not for the extra save, but for the ability to deploy both with the Y'vahra. I think that's worth it.

demurr
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 20 2017 08:08

Arka0415 wrote:I'm not sure how the points work out since you don't have the final list written out, but I would try to give the Y'vahra both of the unique MV52 Shield Drones if you do that (instead of giving one drone to a Strike Team). Single drones are just so easy to kill and steal First Blood or points in Kill Point missions. The MV52 Drones may seem like a waste (since they rarely get their full 3++ save), but you'd be paying the extra few points not for the extra save, but for the ability to deploy both with the Y'vahra. I think that's worth it.

Huh, I didn't consider the kill points aspect. You know I thought I was really smart when I understood that taking drones as wargear for everything instead of separate units might be more beneficial since morale will never cost you more then a single drone and the weapons with multiple shots, like a heavy bolter for example will be forced to shoot at a unit of two drones and will theoretically make less of an impact on the army as a whole. Does that make sense? Although it's probably a discussion for a different topic.

I was a point shy from swaping the normal shield drone for a unique drone but then I noticed that I actually swaped the ATS for stims instead of the target lock. So double MV52 it is =)

Thanks for the C&C =)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Dec 20 2017 08:26

demurr wrote:I understood that taking drones as wargear for everything instead of separate units might be more beneficial since morale will never cost you more then a single drone and the weapons with multiple shots, like a heavy bolter for example will be forced to shoot at a unit of two drones and will theoretically make less of an impact on the army as a whole. Does that make sense?

You're absolutely right here- Drones will take losses due to morale, and it's best to find a balance between tactically-viable units and units that won't take losses due to morale. With the exception of single drones (which I'm really not a fan of), Drone squads of 2, 4, 5, and 6 models are all viable in different scenarios.

2-model Drone squads are great when attached to Commanders, Broadsides, and other single-model battlesuit units. Since pairs of Drones are easy to kill, Shield Drones are optimal for this unit size.

4-model Drone squads are the mimum size for an independent Drone unit, and is an ideal size for Gun Drones.

5-model Drone squads are a little bigger than minimum, but are more durable and tactically-relevant. They also make good partners for 6-man Drone squads that fit in a Devilfish with a Cadre Fireblade.

6-model Drone units are too large, however the drawback of their large squad size is balanced out by their effectiveness as mechanized units in Devilfish, and as accompanying units for XV8s.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Dec 20 2017 12:01

Arka0415 wrote:5-model Drone squads are a little bigger than minimum, but are more durable and tactically-relevant. They also make good partners for 6-man Drone squads that fit in a Devilfish with a Cadre Fireblade.

6-model Drone units are too large, however the drawback of their large squad size is balanced out by their effectiveness as mechanized units in Devilfish, and as accompanying units for XV8s.

Don't forget that for odd sized drone squads they give up the same KP as their n+1 squad sizes if you're using power level for your KP. IE 5 is the same as 6, 3 is the same as 4. So, pair up whenever possible especially tournament settings where this will likely be the case.

Return to “Cadre Building”