Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#19 » Feb 08 2018 08:27

Yeah that sounds like the best way to work it out currently. I will admit that I have yet to actually utilize flamers. I'm just rather iffy about them despite the good things I've heard. That plus my primary opponent is either Space Marines or Grey Knights, so more powerful weaponry is generally called for.

I've also decided to try and stick to smaller points games until the codex drops. Say 1000 or less. And I'm actually going to be playing a 750 point game against Imperial Fists in about 45 minutes from now. I'm not too hopeful, testing out a list concept that is probably pretty ehhh but I want to use these new fire warriors I made! I'll post after the game, and here's what I'll be running:

Battalion

HQ
Cadre Fireblade
Ethereal

Troops
10x Strike Team - Shas'Ui markerlight and pistol
10x Strike Team - Shas'Ui markerlight and pistol
10x Breacher Team - Shas'UI Pistol

Outrider

HQ
Commander - 3x CIB, 1x SG, 2x Shield Drone

Elite
Stealth Team - 3x Burst Cannon and Shas'vre

Fast Attack

10x Pathfinder - Shas'UI with pistol and 3x Ion Rifles
Drones - 6x Shield Drones
Drones - 4x Shield Drones

My thinking here is to utilize the strike teams, fireblade, ethereal, pathfinders and 6x shield drone squad as a stationary or slowly moving gunline, and then use the 4x drone team to shield the breachers as they move up and into position. To facilitate that the stealth team and commander will take up a more forward position to act as distraction, allowing the breachers to close the distance, or at least so I hope. The commander is only fielding 3 CIBs for points reasons, and the shield generator is to keep him from being taken out too easily.

EDIT: I lost solidly. I ended up fighting Crimson Fists, so cover was of virtually no use to me, and it was a cover sparse board as well. We played The Relic, and it was placed in the middle of the board, so I deployed my stealth suits to nab it immediately. My opponent deployed 2 whirlwinds, a captain, a lieutenant, a venerable dreadnought, 5 scouts, 5 tacticals and 5 sternguard veterans. He got first turn, and in his first turn wiped out my pathfinders with his whirlwind launchers and dreadnought missile launcher. For most of the game his forces were balled up and rerolling 1s on hits and wounds. On my turn I moved up to grab the relic, and moved the gunline up to support them, dropped the commander in as well. I managed to take out just the tacticals and dealt 2 damage to the dreadnought. It was down hill from there. By my side of turn 4 the relic was all the way in my backline(stealth suits fell back as far as possible and were killed by whirlwind launchers) and I was down to commander, fireblade, 1 strike fire warrior and 2 breacher fire warriors. All I had killed were the tacticals, veterans and 4/5 scouts. the captain, lieutenant and dreadnought were in melee of what remained of my forces. I conceded.

Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Feb 23 2018 09:27

I'm going to be starting up kind of a mini-Escalation League with my primary opponent, mainly as an incentive to continue painting up and finish modelling our forces. Gonna be starting at 500 points max and moving up by 250 points each game. Now, I know its probably not a great idea with the codex just around the corner, but when it comes I figure we can both just rejigger our forces, since it would be unfair to him to not be allowed to change his up when I change mine.

That said, here's what I've got as my idea so far for Game 1:

Patrol Detachment ([498pts]

HQ
Cadre Fireblade [42pts]:
Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse rifle

Elites
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [107pts]
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Multi-tracker: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Multi-tracker
. Stealth Shas'vre: Fusion blaster, Multi-tracker

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [181pts]:
. 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team [40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight, 4x Photon grenades, 4x Pulse carbine
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse carbine, Pulse pistol

Troops
Strike Team [64pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Photon grenades, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 7x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle: 7x Photon grenades, 7x Pulse rifle

Strike Team [64pts]

It's not very drone heavy and its not very much of a meta list, but I like the idea of it and it forms a good core to build the rest of the army out of I think. 500 points is too low to take advantage of crisis suits at the moment, and I feel he'll probably have a hard time dealing with the Ghostkeel as well. I don't have very many markerlights in the list, so I paid the 6 easy points to outfit my XV25s with multitrackers, allowing them to be more autonomous and control objectives on their own.

I'm not grabbing too many pathfinders because my opponent is a Crimson Fist player, so cover isn't that useful to me as he just blatantly ignores it, making Pathfinders a huge liability for their points cost. Pinned in cover by whirlwinds to survive their missiles, but still vulnerable to his infantry and dreadnought.

What do you all think of the list?

Also, I received two Hammerheads to repair for my birthday, so I'll be adding those to my list of available models once I have them, at the bare minimum, stripped, cleaned up and reassembled.
Last edited by Kelandis on Feb 24 2018 08:10, edited 1 time in total.

Zanotam
Shas

Post#21 » Feb 24 2018 07:47

Kelandis wrote:I'm going to be starting up kind of a mini-Escalation League with my primary opponent, mainly as an incentive to continue painting up and finish modelling our forces. Gonna be starting at 500 points max and moving up by 250 points each game. Now, I know its probably not a great idea with the codex just around the corner, but when it comes I figure we can both just rejigger our forces, since it would be unfair to him to not be allowed to change his up when I change mine.

That said, here's what I've got as my idea so far for Game 1:

Patrol Detachment ([498pts]

HQ
Cadre Fireblade [42pts]:
Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse rifle

Elites
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [107pts]
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Multi-tracker: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Multi-tracker
. Stealth Shas'vre: Fusion blaster, Multi-tracker

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [181pts]:
. 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team [40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight, 4x Photon grenades, 4x Pulse carbine
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse carbine, Pulse pistol

Troops
Strike Team [64pts]

Strike Team [64pts]

It's not very drone heavy and its not very much of a meta list, but I like the idea of it and it forms a good core to build the rest of the army out of I think. 500 points is too low to take advantage of crisis suits at the moment, and I feel he'll probably have a hard time dealing with the Ghostkeel as well. I don't have very many markerlights in the list, so I paid the 6 easy points to outfit my XV25s with multitrackers, allowing them to be more autonomous and control objectives on their own.

I'm not grabbing too many pathfinders because my opponent is a Crimson Fist player, so cover isn't that useful to me as he just blatantly ignores it, making Pathfinders a huge liability for their points cost. Pinned in cover by whirlwinds to survive their missiles, but still vulnerable to his infantry and dreadnought.

What do you all think of the list?

Also, I received to Hammerheads to repair for my birthday, so I'll be adding those to my list of available models once I have them, at the bare minimum, stripped, cleaned up and reassembled.

Adding a second ghostkeel and I think you said you had 2 and then, um, similarly I believe you have 10 kroot yeah? Adding 10 or 11 kroot plus a second ghostkeel would bring you to around 750 points.

EDIT: Alternativley you could add some crisis suits. But I feel the jump from 500 to 750 is usually best made with maybe two separate units at the most and one big unit isn't an inherently terrible choice

Kelandis
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Feb 24 2018 08:12

Zanotam wrote:
Adding a second ghostkeel and I think you said you had 2 and then, um, similarly I believe you have 10 kroot yeah? Adding 10 or 11 kroot plus a second ghostkeel would bring you to around 750 points.

EDIT: Alternativley you could add some crisis suits. But I feel the jump from 500 to 750 is usually best made with maybe two separate units at the most and one big unit isn't an inherently terrible choice

Unfortunately I only have 1 ghostkeel. I do have 10 kroot, but I just don't really look at them and see a viable option to utilize. They're just so squishy and seem like a waste of points to me.

Zanotam
Shas

Post#23 » Feb 24 2018 08:21

Kelandis wrote:
Zanotam wrote:

Unfortunately I only have 1 ghostkeel. I do have 10 kroot, but I just don't really look at them and see a viable option to utilize. They're just so squishy and seem like a waste of points to me.

I haven't gotten to use them against an MEQ yet, but I was seriously impressed with their performance against a squad of boyz. If you stick Aun'shi next to them you can give them 6+ FNP and have an extra character boosting your close combat and, well, the basic idea i foundwith them was that you get one shot in, then you get a rapid fire, then you get the charge and while you might pay for that with deaths, you'll be able to potentially inflict a lot of casualties and hit at s4 and ws 3+ so better than basically any other option. And in the meantime your other units aren't going to be getting charged as much and the kroot can always disengage to allow shooting the next of your non-combat turns (Assuming they survive your opponent'sfight phase as well as your own). Also, if you are playhing anything but fight to the death the 7" scout move on a unit you don't mind having exposed a bit and may even want to have on the outside of your formation is absolutely killer!

Return to “Cadre Building”