Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#1 » Dec 15 2017 02:32

Hello all! I'm still pretty new but I decided to make a thread in here to seek advice and tips on making my lists for play. I'm not terribly experienced in 40k yet, which is both good and bad I suppose. Bad because well, inexperience, but good that I don't have to unlearn any established habits xD. Anyway, onto the Cadre building.

Disclaimer though, I would like to avoid using FW models for now, top two reasons being price and that they open up a new can of worms to learn as well as balance versus other factions.




Available Models and Weaponry

First off let's start this off with a list of the models I have available to choose from. I'm going to be slowly expanding it as budget allows.

Spoiler!
HQ
Crisis Commanderx1
Cadre Fireblade x1
Ethereal x1
Commander Shadowsun x1

Troops
Fire Warriors x30 (10 are magnetized to be breachers or strikers. 20 glues strikers)
Kroot x10


Elites
Crisis Suits x16
Stealth Suits x10
Ghostkeel x1
Riptide x3


Fast Attack
Pathfinders x10
Piranha x1
Kroot Hounds x1

Heavy Support
Broadside(Missileside) x1
Broadside(Railside)
OOP Broadsides x7


Lords of War

Stormsurge x1

Drones
Recon x1
Stealth x2
Marker x13
Shield x20
Gun x13
Missile x2
Shielded Missile x2
Unassembled Tac Drone x1
MV52 Shield x2
Command-Link x2
Pulse Accel. x1
Grav. Inhib. x1


Second I should mention that none of the Crisis Suits currently have equipment attached, with the exception of one with a glued Drone Controller, the Ghostkeel is unarmed and 2 of the Riptides are unarmed. So, here's a tally of all the guns I have available to me to use, which is a cheaper thing to solve than new models but eh, still a good list to make I feel.

    Plasma Rifle x14
    Burst Cannon x8
    Fusion Blaster x9
    Cyclic Ion Blaster x1
    Missile Pod x6
    Shield Generator x3
    Flamer x5
    Fusion Collider x1
    Cyclic Ion Raker x1
    Ion Accelerator x2
    Heavy Burst Cannon x1

Also my Crisis Commander has the Coldstar jet pack on it, but I was curious if I could leave that on and attach normal weaponry? Would that be fine? Beyond that and equipment for Crisis Suits, the main issues I believe I'll run into are not enough gun drones or fire warriors, and the lack of proper vehicle support might make this hard to work with, especially with the current cost of suits (crossed fingers for point decreases!)




Onto the Cadre Building!

Alright, so here I'm going to list the three lists I plan to use a bunch. They're going to be ordered in 750 pts, 1500 pts and 2000 pts.




750pt Suit Based List


++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [730pts] ++
+ HQ +
    Commander [176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Elites +
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [142pts]: 2x MV7 Marker Drone
    . 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Shield generator
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [142pts]: 2x MV7 Marker Drone
    . 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Shield generator
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [142pts]: 2x MV7 Marker Drone
    . 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Shield generator
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
+ Fast Attack +
    Tactical Drones [64pts]: 8x MV1 Gun Drone
    Tactical Drones [64pts]: 8x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Total: [730pts, +1 CP] ++

Okay so with this list I wanted to stay away from quantity and focus on quality. It's got 20 points left to work with, and I'm not sure whether to use that for more drones or a homing beacon, but I don't think that's entirely necessary for just one commander. The problems I think it will probably run into is inability to take out Elite-class enemies such as terminators. Bright side is with only 6 units to deploy I feel I'd fairly easily nab first turn, which would be very useful. I also probably have too many points in DCs on the Stealth Shas'vre, but was going for redundancy. What do you all think?




1500pt All-Rounder List


++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [312pts] ++

+ HQ +
    Cadre Fireblade [42pts]: Markerlight
    Ethereal [45pts]: Honour blade
+ Fast Attack +
    Pathfinder Team [40pts]
    . 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
    . Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
    Pathfinder Team [40pts]
    . 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
    . Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
+ Troops +
    Strike Team [51pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
    . 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
    Strike Team [51pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
    . 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
    Strike Team [43pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
    . 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [1183pts] ++

+ HQ +
    Commander [176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone
+ Elites +
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [182pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone
    . 4x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 4x Burst cannon
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [182pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone
    . 4x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 4x Burst cannon
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
    XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [408pts]: 8x MV1 Gun Drone
    . Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
    XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [235pts]: 2x Fusion blaster, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Shield generator, Target lock
++ Total: [1495pts, +4 CP] ++

So, a few things to note about this list. Firstly, I'm not removing the Ghostkeel purely for aesthetic reasons because I just love how the model looks :P . Second, my strategy concerning the drones on the Stealth Suits, Commander and Crisis Suits. The plan is to maneuver the Stealth Suits in such a way that the Crisis Suits and Commander can land next to them, with all the drones receiving the DC accuracy buff, to be able to pour 56 shots at 4+ into some poor unlucky infantry squad so the suits can focus on more important targets. Beyond that the overall idea is for a solid, semi mobile force of suits to maneuver around the battlefield distracting my foe from the encroaching gunline that's trying to either get into 15" range to clean up infantry targets or to grab objectives over the map.




2000pt List (Heavily WIP)

So, I'm not sure if this one counts as a different list from the 1500pt one, because it's really more of a straight addition to the previous list. And it's purely an excuse to run the addition xD. Anyway, here it is:

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (T'au Empire) [491pts] ++

+ Lord of War +
    KV128 Stormsurge [491pts]: 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cluster rocket system, 4x Destroyer missile, Pulse driver cannon, Shield generator, 2x Smart missile system, Stimulant injector
So, adding the Stormsurge in that configuration to the 1500pt list brings it up to a total of 1986 points. This is the one I'm least sure about and most open to suggestions and modifications for, as I really want it to be workable.




So there you have it everyone! Those are the lists I'm working on and seeking improvements and suggestions to! I only have 4 games under my belt and have little battlefield experience, but I'm absorbing as much knowledge as I can to always improve at the game :D.
Last edited by Kelandis on Feb 06 2018 08:37, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#2 » Dec 15 2017 02:36

[Reserved for Edits to the original post and Additional Lists]
EDIT 1: Fixing some grammar issues that I missed in proofreading.
EDIT 2: Added new units to the available units spoiler. Changelog: Shadowsun(and drones) 3 gun drones, 3 fire warriors. Also constructed my pulse accelerator and grav inhibitor drones.
EDIT 3: Added new units to the available units spoiler: 6 Crisis Suits, 2 Railsides, 10 Firewarriors (Breachers/Strikers)
Removed units from the available units spoiler: 2 OOP Broadsides
Removed: (Temp Line)Does anyone know how to add multiple spoilers to a post? I was trying to put more than one but in the preview it wouldnt work for the spoilers past the first one :? Oh also if you could change the text from "Spoiler!" to something else in order to title them.(/Temp Line)
Last edited by Kelandis on Feb 06 2018 08:36, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3288

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#3 » Dec 15 2017 04:35

Warning: Long Post!

Kelandis wrote:Hello all! I'm still pretty new but I decided to make a thread in here to seek advice and tips on making my lists for play. I'm not terribly experienced in 40k yet, which is both good and bad I suppose. Bad because well, inexperience, but good that I don't have to unlearn any established habits xD. Anyway, onto the Cadre building.

Welcome! I'm so glad to see such a nice and well thought-out post. If there's one thing we love on ATT it's chatting about optimized lists, so you've definitely come to the right place. And you have the right mindset too- we Tau are dynamic and adaptable, it's best to keep your thinking fluid! Anyway, you have an impressive collection, so there will be many different types of lists you can build- before we get started though let me answer some of your questions.


Kelandis wrote:Does anyone know how to add multiple spoilers to a post? I was trying to put more than one but in the preview it wouldn't work for the spoilers past the first one.

Yeah, that would be nice. Coding for the spoiler text is a bit broken at the moment, and has been for a long time. Sorry about that! Just limit your spoilers to one per post.


Kelandis wrote:Also my Crisis Commander has the Coldstar jet pack on it, but I was curious if I could leave that on and attach normal weaponry? Would that be fine?

In most games it would be totally fine- however, the large jet pack is what defines the Coldstar as a Coldstar (as opposed to a normal Commander) so technically this would count as a "proxy". However, if you only have the one Commander in your list, there won't be any real Coldstars to compare it to- so it's really no problem. I wouldn't worry about it.


Kelandis wrote:The main issues I believe I'll run into are not enough gun drones or fire warriors, and the lack of proper vehicle support might make this hard to work with, especially with the current cost of suits.

While your army is definitely skewed toward battleuits, I'd say that you have plenty of drones and Fire Warriors. I'd say that 15-18 Fire Warriors is enough for a 2000-point list, and 25-35 Drones would be enough too. Not having light vehicles will limit your options, but I wouldn't worry- you have plenty of mobile battlesuits so lacking mechanized options won't be an issue.


Kelandis wrote:Alright, so here I'm going to list the three lists I plan to use a bunch. They're going to be ordered in 750 pts, 1500 pts and 2000 pts.

Let's get on to list-building! It seems like you have tons of Elites, so your armies will definitely be themed around battlesuits. Note that your HQ options are a bit limited, so the most Command Points you can ever get is 7 (1 Battalion Detachment and 1 Vanguard Detachment). Not a problem, but just something to keep in mind.


Kelandis wrote:750pt Suit Based List

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [730pts] ++
+ HQ +

Commander [176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Elites +
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [142pts]: 2x MV7 Marker Drone
    . 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Shield generator
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [142pts]: 2x MV7 Marker Drone
    . 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Shield generator
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [142pts]: 2x MV7 Marker Drone
    . 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Shield generator: 2x Burst cannon, 2x Shield generator
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
+ Fast Attack +
    Tactical Drones [64pts]: 8x MV1 Gun Drone
    Tactical Drones [64pts]: 8x MV1 Gun Drone

++ Total: [730pts, +1 CP] ++

Okay so with this list I wanted to stay away from quantity and focus on quality. It's got 20 points left to work with, and I'm not sure whether to use that for more drones or a homing beacon, but I don't think that's entirely necessary for just one commander. The problems I think it will probably run into is inability to take out Elite-class enemies such as terminators. Bright side is with only 6 units to deploy I feel I'd fairly easily nab first turn, which would be very useful. I also probably have too many points in DCs on the Stealth Shas'vre, but was going for redundancy. What do you all think?

You're right on both counts- this list favors quality over quantity, and that it will have a very hard time dealing with tougher opponents. A few things first- Stealthsuits are great, not for their firepower, but for their massive durability. In fact, Stealthsuits don't output much firepower at all. As such, I wouldn't fit too many in a list, and I certainly wouldn't give them more durabilty upgrades- they're already plenty durable! Second, Gun Drones have poor leadership, and lose models very quickly to morale tests. So, it's generally good to take them in groups of 4-5, and 6 only when accompanying teams of XV8s. More than 6 is just asking to lose models to morale.

With that in mind, we need fewer and cheaper Stealthsuits, smaller squads of Gun Drones, and more anti-elite firepower. Here's an idea- let's swap one Stealthsuit squad for an XV8 squad. In addition, let's have the Stealthsuits and Gun Drones focus on anti-infantry while the XV8s and Commander focus on anti-elite and anti-tank. Here's how the list might look:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 1x Gun Drone, 1x Marker Drone (113)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 1x Gun Drone, 1x Marker Drone (113)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)

Total: 748 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

Not a perfect list, but a decent idea for how to get more anti-elite on the field and still have solid anti-infantry stealth options.


Kelandis wrote:1500pt All-Rounder List

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [312pts] ++

+ HQ +
    Cadre Fireblade [42pts]: Markerlight
    Ethereal [45pts]: Honour blade
+ Fast Attack +
    Pathfinder Team [40pts]
    . 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
    . Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
    Pathfinder Team [40pts]
    . 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
    . Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
+ Troops +
    Strike Team [51pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
    . 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
    Strike Team [51pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
    . 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
    Strike Team [43pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
    . 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [1183pts] ++

+ HQ +
    Commander [176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone
+ Elites +
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [182pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone
    . 4x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 4x Burst cannon
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
    XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [182pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone
    . 4x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 4x Burst cannon
    . Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster
    XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [408pts]: 8x MV1 Gun Drone
    . Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
    XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [235pts]: 2x Fusion blaster, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Shield generator, Target lock
++ Total: [1495pts, +4 CP] ++

So, a few things to note about this list. Firstly, I'm not removing the Ghostkeel purely for aesthetic reasons because I just love how the model looks :P . Second, my strategy concerning the drones on the Stealth Suits, Commander and Crisis Suits. The plan is to maneuver the Stealth Suits in such a way that the Crisis Suits and Commander can land next to them, with all the drones receiving the DC accuracy buff, to be able to pour 56 shots at 4+ into some poor unlucky infantry squad so the suits can focus on more important targets. Beyond that the overall idea is for a solid, semi mobile force of suits to maneuver around the battlefield distracting my foe from the encroaching gunline that's trying to either get into 15" range to clean up infantry targets or to grab objectives over the map.

By and large, Tau battlesuit squads work best in groups of three. It's important to keep drone squad sizes down, to make sure no one unit "stands out" as a priority target, to keep squads flexible, and most importantly it's just how battlesuits are supposed to be! :D Also, let's try giving the Ghostkeel an all-Fusion or no-Fusion loadout (to keep it to a focused role). Finally, just like the first list, if we do a little trimming we can actually fit a whole second squad of XV8s. Pretty cool. Here's a somewhat-modified version of your list:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honour Blade (45)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drone (131)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drone (131)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Stimulant Injector; 2x Stealth Drones (205)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 1500 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

Note that there are two Homing Beacons in this list- you can only use one per turn, and you probably want all of your battlesuits arriving on turn one, so one will likely go to waste. However, those Flamer XV8s absolutely need a Homing Beacon or else they can't fire on the turn they arrive- if you lose a Stealthsuit squad before the battlesuits arrive, you may be glad you had the backup homing beacon.


Kelandis wrote:2000pt List (Heavily WIP)++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (T'au Empire) [491pts] ++

+ Lord of War +
    KV128 Stormsurge [491pts]: 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cluster rocket system, 4x Destroyer missile, Pulse driver cannon, Shield generator, 2x Smart missile system, Stimulant injector
So, adding the Stormsurge in that configuration to the 1500pt list brings it up to a total of 1986 points. This is the one I'm least sure about and most open to suggestions and modifications for, as I really want it to be workable.


Hey, Stormsurges are good, that's for sure! However, the Pulse Blastcannon is great, and it costs so many fewer points, that we just can't not take it. If we bring the Stormsurge down to 439 points, you'll have enough room to add a squad of Kroot too, which might be great tools for screening the huge Stormsurge against melee attack. No guarantees, but it could be a viable strategy.

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honour Blade (45)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drone (131)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drone (131)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Stimulant Injector; 2x Stealth Drones (205)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
LoW - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Blastcannon, 2x Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, ATS (439)

Total: 1999 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

Sorry for the long post! Hope this gives you some ideas for list-building. So, as always... what do you think?

User avatar
Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La
Posts: 653

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#4 » Dec 15 2017 04:58

You own 17 Fire Warriors.... How do you own exactly 17 Fire Warriors?! :P

User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#5 » Dec 19 2017 05:38

Sorry for taking awhile to respond, busy weekend xD

Bloodknife92 wrote:You own 17 Fire Warriors.... How do you own exactly 17 Fire Warriors?! :P

I own 17 Fire Warriors because all of my army has been purchased second hand, so 5 of the fire warriors came from a local game shop and the other 12 came from the ebay lot the majority of my army came in.

Arka0415 wrote:
Kelandis wrote:Does anyone know how to add multiple spoilers to a post? I was trying to put more than one but in the preview it wouldn't work for the spoilers past the first one.

Yeah, that would be nice. Coding for the spoiler text is a bit broken at the moment, and has been for a long time. Sorry about that! Just limit your spoilers to one per post.

Dang, oh well I'll just have to get used to it then xD.

Arka0415 wrote:
Kelandis wrote:Also my Crisis Commander has the Coldstar jet pack on it, but I was curious if I could leave that on and attach normal weaponry? Would that be fine?

In most games it would be totally fine- however, the large jet pack is what defines the Coldstar as a Coldstar (as opposed to a normal Commander) so technically this would count as a "proxy". However, if you only have the one Commander in your list, there won't be any real Coldstars to compare it to- so it's really no problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

Alright then I guess I'll figure out how to remove the jetpack and then magnetize it so I can swap between the two easily.

Arka0415 wrote:With that in mind, we need fewer and cheaper Stealthsuits, smaller squads of Gun Drones, and more anti-elite firepower. Here's an idea- let's swap one Stealthsuit squad for an XV8 squad. In addition, let's have the Stealthsuits and Gun Drones focus on anti-infantry while the XV8s and Commander focus on anti-elite and anti-tank. Here's how the list might look:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 1x Gun Drone, 1x Marker Drone (113)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 1x Gun Drone, 1x Marker Drone (113)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)

Total: 748 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

Not a perfect list, but a decent idea for how to get more anti-elite on the field and still have solid anti-infantry stealth options.

You make some good points in this and I agree, but One thing I don't quite like is removing so many of the marker drones. So, I took your suggestion and reworked it a bit into this:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 2x Marker Drone (115)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 2x Marker Drone (115)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)

Total: 752 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

Pretty much the same but keeping 2 Marker Drones on the Stealth Squads. And, if my opponent doesnt like me going over the point limit by 2, then I'd replace 1 marker drone with a gun drone. It just feels to me that having the markerlights is pretty essential.

Arka0415 wrote:Here's a somewhat-modified version of your list:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honour Blade (45)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drone (131)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drone (131)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Stimulant Injector; 2x Stealth Drones (205)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 1500 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

I get a lot of your points regarding this list but I did have an idea. What if instead of a fusion loaout on the Ghostkeel it used a CIR and Burst Cannons with ATS, putting it more in an infantry killing position. That, combined with all the s5 firepower from the stealth suits, gun drones and fire warriors, made it seem to me that the army has plenty of anti-infantry so the second squad of XV8s doesnt need a flamer loadout. So, what if instead it was a second squad of CIBs, to fill out more of the Anti-Elite/Anti-Vehicle role but also able to double as Anti-Infantry in a pinch with the three shots they get. However, I am having a bit more trouble filling the list out to 1500 points and I'm stuck at 1492 :/

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [301pts] ++

+ HQ +
Cadre Fireblade [42pts]: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse rifle
Ethereal [50pts]: Honour blade, Hover Drone

+ Fast Attack +
Pathfinder Team [40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight, 4x Photon grenades, 4x Pulse carbine
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse carbine, Pulse pistol
Pathfinder Team [40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight, 4x Photon grenades, 4x Pulse carbine
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse carbine, Pulse pistol

+ Troops +
Strike Team [43pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle: 4x Photon grenades, 4x Pulse rifle
Strike Team [43pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle: 4x Photon grenades, 4x Pulse rifle
Strike Team [43pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Photon grenades, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle: 4x Photon grenades, 4x Pulse rifle

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [1191pts] ++

+ HQ +
Commander [176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster
. 2x MV4 Shield Drone: 2x Shield generator

+ Elites +
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [111pts]
. 2x MV1 Gun Drone: 4x Pulse carbine
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 2x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Drone controller
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [111pts]
. 2x MV1 Gun Drone: 4x Pulse carbine
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 2x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Drone controller
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [306pts]
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. 6x MV1 Gun Drone: 12x Pulse carbine
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [306pts]
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. 6x MV1 Gun Drone: 12x Pulse carbine
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [181pts]: 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

++ Total: [+4 CP, 1492pts] ++

So that's where im sitting now. I've decided to hold off developing the 2k list until I've got a better handle of smaller point games though, both list building and actual play.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3288

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#6 » Dec 19 2017 07:55

Kelandis wrote:You make some good points in this and I agree, but One thing I don't quite like is removing so many of the marker drones. So, I took your suggestion and reworked it a bit into this:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 2x Marker Drone (115)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 2x Marker Drone (115)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)

Total: 752 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

Pretty much the same but keeping 2 Marker Drones on the Stealth Squads. And, if my opponent doesnt like me going over the point limit by 2, then I'd replace 1 marker drone with a gun drone. It just feels to me that having the markerlights is pretty essential.

You're right that Markerlights are important, and I admit my original list was very light on them. The big problem with Stealthsuits and Marker Drones is that they're easy to target and take down by enemy anti-infantry fire. One possible solution could be to go back to 1 Gun Drone + 1 Marker Drone per Stealthsuit squad, but replace the 5 Gun Drones with 5 Pathfinders. That would give you the ability to hit 5 Markerlight hits on turn one with the Uplinked Markerlight stratagem if you really need the turn one alpha strike. Could be worth it.

Kelandis wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Here's a somewhat-modified version of your list:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honour Blade (45)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (255)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drone (131)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drone (131)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Stimulant Injector; 2x Stealth Drones (205)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 1500 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

I get a lot of your points regarding this list but I did have an idea. What if instead of a fusion loaout on the Ghostkeel it used a CIR and Burst Cannons with ATS, putting it more in an infantry killing position. That, combined with all the s5 firepower from the stealth suits, gun drones and fire warriors, made it seem to me that the army has plenty of anti-infantry so the second squad of XV8s doesnt need a flamer loadout. So, what if instead it was a second squad of CIBs, to fill out more of the Anti-Elite/Anti-Vehicle role but also able to double as Anti-Infantry in a pinch with the three shots they get. However, I am having a bit more trouble filling the list out to 1500 points and I'm stuck at 1492.

That could also be a viable list. I'll mention that, when it comes to killing ordinary vehicles, the Fusion Ghostkeel is a bit better than the XV8s, if only from an efficiency standpoint. The Ion Ghostkeel has effective damage against infantry, but does suffer against vehicles. I used to be a fan of the Ion Ghostkeel, but recently I've come to like the Fusion Ghostkeel as a replacement for a second Fusion Commander if you don't have one. If you like the Ion Ghostkeel though, go for it. However, I would definitely keep at least one Homing Beacon, it's critical as a backup plan if your opponent outplays you with screening units. That list would look like this:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honour Blade (45)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, DC, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (142)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, DC (95)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ CIR, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 1502 - Command Points: 4 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#7 » Jan 24 2018 12:25

Sorry for the long time between posts Arka! Been really busy with work and the holidays and such to put together a coherent post, and I'm probably still not gonna do that here xD.

So, as an update(and ill add this to the first post) since last I posted on here I have increased my tau collection by the following units:

1x Commander Shadowsun
1x Command Link Drone
2x MV52 Shield Drones
3x Fire Warriors - Strike Team
3x Gun Drones

And, just tonight I also found in the sprue bins in my local game store the (almost) complete(missing 1 head) sprues for a Fire Warriors box! I don't have the instructions, but they cant be too hard to put together, so I'm gonna turn them into my first big magnetization project so I can either have 30 strike team fire warriors, or 20 strike team and 10 breachers! I don't have a devilfish so I can't utilize mechanized breachers, and I'm going to wait for the codex to drop before getting anymore units I believe.

Also had my first win tonight! I'm now 1 for 7! It was a 1500 points game versus Grey Knights and my opponent conceded on turn 2 due to good deployment by me, him diving too hungrily for a ghostkeel and eating the Kauyon of Shadowsun and 2 stealth suit squads, a bunch of bad dice rolls including many, many, many failed charges so it was an inevitable loss. I'm gonna be making a battle report tomorrow about all the juicy details plus pictures!

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3288

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#8 » Jan 24 2018 02:56

Kelandis wrote:Sorry for the long time between posts Arka! Been really busy with work and the holidays and such to put together a coherent post, and I'm probably still not gonna do that here xD.

Welcome back! No need to write anything lengthy :D

Kelandis wrote:1x Commander Shadowsun
1x Command Link Drone
2x MV52 Shield Drones
3x Fire Warriors - Strike Team
3x Gun Drones

Three, as in, three individual Fire Warrior models?

Kelandis wrote:Also had my first win tonight! I'm now 1 for 7! It was a 1500 points game versus Grey Knights and my opponent conceded on turn 2 due to good deployment by me, him diving too hungrily for a ghostkeel and eating the Kauyon of Shadowsun and 2 stealth suit squads, a bunch of bad dice rolls including many, many, many failed charges so it was an inevitable loss. I'm gonna be making a battle report tomorrow about all the juicy details plus pictures!

Sounds like a great game! Always excellent to win before the game actually ends!

User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#9 » Jan 24 2018 03:12

Arka0415 wrote:
Kelandis wrote:1x Commander Shadowsun
1x Command Link Drone
2x MV52 Shield Drones
3x Fire Warriors - Strike Team
3x Gun Drones

Three, as in, three individual Fire Warrior models?


Haha yes as in three individual Fire Warrior models. I work at a FLGS, and some of the merchandise we have is old 40k models the owners have built up on their own over the years, or bought from people on the cheap to sell in the store. So I was pretty easily able to fill out to a nice 20 Fire Warriors. Its actually where quite a few of my miniatures came from.

User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#10 » Jan 28 2018 06:38

So I'm playing around with a new list idea and want to get some second opinions to poke holes into it. The idea is to use an all battlesuit list(plus drone support) using two vanguard units at the moment. Here's the proposal:

Vanguard 1
Commander Shadowsun
Stealth squad, 3x burst cannon, 2x shield drone, homing beacon
Stealth Squad, 3x burst cannon, 2x shield drone, homing beacon
Ghostkeel with all fusion loadout, shield generator and a target lock

Vanguard 2
Crisis Commander with 4x fusion blasters and 2x shield drone
Crisis Squad, 8x flamer, 1x drone controller, 4x gun drone, 2x shield drone
Crisis Squad, 8x cyclic ion blaster, 1x drone controller, 6x gun drone
Crisis Squad, 8x missile pod, 1x drone controller, 6x marker drone

Currently this racks up to 1792 points and I'm not sure what to trim or what to add to either bring it to 1500 points or 2000 points. If trimming the first thing to go would probably be the ghostkeel, as with shadowsun and the QFC I've got plenty of fusion on the battlefield, and CIBs and MPs to take out slightly softer targets. I'm also using marker drones for several reasons: firstly with the assistance of a drone controller they have a better BS when moving than pathfinders do, they also have better toughness and a better save although they have worse ability to gain cover save bonuses. In addition they can manta, and I feel thats a decent tradeoff for the extra points per model.

Basic idea is deploy the stealth units in cover, hopefully get first turn since its only 8 units. advance up as close as possible to the enemy, drop the flamer crisis and fusion commander using the homing beacons. drop the cib crisis in the midfield with the ghostkeel, and the missile pod crisis further back for los purposes, objectives, or area denial. then just play it out from there.

What do you all think?

P.S. I said I was gonna make a battle report but in the end I don't think there was much to learn from that game. I might toss a post into the win/loss percentage thread since i played another match a few days ago(imperial fists and whirlwinds are annoying xD).

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3288

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#11 » Feb 04 2018 08:57

Kelandis wrote:So I'm playing around with a new list idea and want to get some second opinions to poke holes into it. The idea is to use an all battlesuit list(plus drone support) using two vanguard units at the moment. Here's the proposal:

Vanguard 1
Commander Shadowsun
Stealth squad, 3x burst cannon, 2x shield drone, homing beacon
Stealth Squad, 3x burst cannon, 2x shield drone, homing beacon
Ghostkeel with all fusion loadout, shield generator and a target lock

Vanguard 2
Crisis Commander with 4x fusion blasters and 2x shield drone
Crisis Squad, 8x flamer, 1x drone controller, 4x gun drone, 2x shield drone
Crisis Squad, 8x cyclic ion blaster, 1x drone controller, 6x gun drone
Crisis Squad, 8x missile pod, 1x drone controller, 6x marker drone

Currently this racks up to 1792 points and I'm not sure what to trim or what to add to either bring it to 1500 points or 2000 points.

This definitely looks like an interesting idea. You'll find that Missile Pod XV8s are hugely expensive for what they do, even if you do get a few Markerlight hits to help them. I'd definitely run a Missile Pod Commander instead, it's less than half the points and outputs almost as much damage.

To fill the remaining points, you definitely need a ton of Markerlights. Stealthsuits, Ghostkeels, and XV8s really improve with Markerlights, and just the six Marker Drones really isn't enough, I think. Definitely consider running Pathfinders and possibly Marker Drones and Drone Controllers with the Stealthsuits. If you really want backfield shooting, you can also consider a Stormsurge, which also synergizes well with Markerlights but may require a bit more screening.

What do you think?

User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#12 » Feb 04 2018 10:18

Arka0415 wrote:This definitely looks like an interesting idea. You'll find that Missile Pod XV8s are hugely expensive for what they do, even if you do get a few Markerlight hits to help them. I'd definitely run a Missile Pod Commander instead, it's less than half the points and outputs almost as much damage.

To fill the remaining points, you definitely need a ton of Markerlights. Stealthsuits, Ghostkeels, and XV8s really improve with Markerlights, and just the six Marker Drones really isn't enough, I think. Definitely consider running Pathfinders and possibly Marker Drones and Drone Controllers with the Stealthsuits. If you really want backfield shooting, you can also consider a Stormsurge, which also synergizes well with Markerlights but may require a bit more screening.

What do you think?


So the thing about trading out a Crisis suit squad for a Crisis Commander, I then won't have enough elites in order to have 2 Vanguard detachments, and 3 HQs is too many for a single vanguard detachment. In addition, swapping them out would decrease the Marker drone amount by 4, because I'd most likely take marker drones on the MP commander as well, and in order for them to function properly they would need a drone controller nearby, which would require a weapon off the commander, and so the crisis squad with 8 missile pods compared to the commander with 3 would still land more hits I believe.

Pathfinders are probably a smart addition to the force, as low amounts of markerlights are a problem I see with it. However, the concept idea was for a highly mobile, fairly durable unit force. And as far as backfield shooting the idea was to not have any in order to really make the mobility worthwhile. I don't know if this style of list would work currently, but it's certainly something I'm interesting in trying out.

I think swapping to marker drones on the stealth suits is a good idea though, and after deployment they can move back to link up with the MP crisis. Then since that removes some durability to the stealth squads, add two clouds of 5 shield drones each to fly around as fast as possible on the battlefield and act as ablative wounds. I'm a bit wary of this plan as it involves deploying in the backline and it may take them too long to link up and protect my key battlesuits. This brings the point total up to 1880, 1890 with DC on the stealth suits.

Those are some more of my thoughts behind the list anyway.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3288

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#13 » Feb 04 2018 10:59

Kelandis wrote:So the thing about trading out a Crisis suit squad for a Crisis Commander, I then won't have enough elites in order to have 2 Vanguard detachments, and 3 HQs is too many for a single vanguard detachment. In addition, swapping them out would decrease the Marker drone amount by 4, because I'd most likely take marker drones on the MP commander as well, and in order for them to function properly they would need a drone controller nearby, which would require a weapon off the commander, and so the crisis squad with 8 missile pods compared to the commander with 3 would still land more hits I believe.

Well, there's no need to limit yourself to just the one Vanguard detachment, you have plenty of models to fill out two even without the third XV8 squad. In fact, doing so is probably severely-limiting to your force, since you're low on Command Points! Adding some Fire Warriors really couldn't hurt, to bring you to 8CP. Anyway, given that you only have one Commander model, there's no need to consider the Missile Pod Commander, but I would suggest that backfield XV8s are far too expensive given that it only costs a few dozen more points to buy an entire Stormsurge. Broadsides also could be a better option than the XV8s I think.

Kelandis wrote:Pathfinders are probably a smart addition to the force, as low amounts of markerlights are a problem I see with it. However, the concept idea was for a highly mobile, fairly durable unit force. And as far as backfield shooting the idea was to not have any in order to really make the mobility worthwhile. I don't know if this style of list would work currently, but it's certainly something I'm interesting in trying out.

If you want a mobile, durable force, I'd scatter the Marker Drones throughout the army, rather than keeping them all in one place.

Pathfinders are somewhat of an auto-include in this list, but everything else can be kept powerful and durable. Here's an idea for the list:

-

HQ - Commander Shadowsun w/ 2x Shield Drones, 1x Command-Link Drone (189)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (126)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (126)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons; 2x Shield Drones (106)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Flamers, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Marker Drones (327)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Marker Drones (327)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Flamers, Drone Controller; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Marker Drones (255)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 1891 - Command points: 5 (2 Vanguard Detachments)

[Unfinished]

-

That's 110 points shy but we're getting there. What do you think?

User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#14 » Feb 04 2018 11:59

Arka0415 wrote:Well, there's no need to limit yourself to just the one Vanguard detachment, ...


Sorry, I don't have time for a large writeup. I think you misunderstood me here! I'm currently running 2 Vanguard detachments in the original plan and I meant by removing the crisis[elites] and swapping them for a crisis commander I would then not have enough elites for 2 vanguard detachments since you need a total of 6 elites.

I'll respond to the rest of it probably tomorrow, tired tonight xD

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3288

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#15 » Feb 05 2018 12:52

Kelandis wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Well, there's no need to limit yourself to just the one Vanguard detachment, ...


Sorry, I don't have time for a large writeup. I think you misunderstood me here! I'm currently running 2 Vanguard detachments in the original plan and I meant by removing the crisis[elites] and swapping them for a crisis commander I would then not have enough elites for 2 vanguard detachments since you need a total of 6 elites.

I'll respond to the rest of it probably tomorrow, tired tonight xD

But the list's not finished, so that hardly matters! :D You have plenty of Elites options to add in place of the Missile Pod XV8s, like Stealthsuits or XV8s with any other loadout. And plus, no one said that you have to run two Vanguard Detachments either, in fact, it's somewhat of a liability in a 2000-point game with so few Command Points.

User avatar
Yojimbob
Shas'Saal
Posts: 576

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#16 » Feb 05 2018 11:10

Arka0415 wrote:
Kelandis wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Well, there's no need to limit yourself to just the one Vanguard detachment, ...


Sorry, I don't have time for a large writeup. I think you misunderstood me here! I'm currently running 2 Vanguard detachments in the original plan and I meant by removing the crisis[elites] and swapping them for a crisis commander I would then not have enough elites for 2 vanguard detachments since you need a total of 6 elites.

I'll respond to the rest of it probably tomorrow, tired tonight xD

But the list's not finished, so that hardly matters! :D You have plenty of Elites options to add in place of the Missile Pod XV8s, like Stealthsuits or XV8s with any other loadout. And plus, no one said that you have to run two Vanguard Detachments either, in fact, it's somewhat of a liability in a 2000-point game with so few Command Points.


Don't forget the super cheap firesight marksman who isn't a terrible choice to fill out elite slots on the cheap. Plus, bonus hidden markerlight.

User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#17 » Feb 06 2018 08:33

Arka0415 wrote:
Kelandis wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Well, there's no need to limit yourself to just the one Vanguard detachment, ...


Sorry, I don't have time for a large writeup. I think you misunderstood me here! I'm currently running 2 Vanguard detachments in the original plan and I meant by removing the crisis[elites] and swapping them for a crisis commander I would then not have enough elites for 2 vanguard detachments since you need a total of 6 elites.

I'll respond to the rest of it probably tomorrow, tired tonight xD

But the list's not finished, so that hardly matters! :D You have plenty of Elites options to add in place of the Missile Pod XV8s, like Stealthsuits or XV8s with any other loadout. And plus, no one said that you have to run two Vanguard Detachments either, in fact, it's somewhat of a liability in a 2000-point game with so few Command Points.


Yeah you're right. My thought process going into the design for this list was to have a mobile force able to move around the battlefield and not have any troops in a backline to support or keep track of. I'm thinking though just with the cost of battlesuits right now it's not tactically viable :? .

Yojimbob wrote:
Don't forget the super cheap firesight marksman who isn't a terrible choice to fill out elite slots on the cheap. Plus, bonus hidden markerlight.


I would use a firesight marksman but alas I don't have the model. The models I do have access to are on the first post in this thread, and you just reminded me to update it! I traded in two of my OOP broadsides for a pair of new model railsides, picked up 6 more crisis suits(unassembled) on the cheap, and yesterday finished assembling and magnetizing 10 fire warriors. I put them in breacher armor and magnetized the left arm for pulse blasters and pulse rifles, since I figure most people won't bug me about the armor difference if they have the right weapon.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre
Posts: 3288

Re: Kelandis' Cadre Building Center

Post#18 » Feb 06 2018 08:57

Kelandis wrote:Yeah you're right. My thought process going into the design for this list was to have a mobile force able to move around the battlefield and not have any troops in a backline to support or keep track of. I'm thinking though just with the cost of battlesuits right now it's not tactically viable?

Hmm, interesting idea. Right now the issue is that XV8s and XV25s really like to have Markerlights, and our best source of Markerlights is Pathfinders. We could add Markerlights on Stealtsuits, Marker Drones, and XV84 Commanders, but it may not be enough. I would suggest using Flamers wherever you can to make sure that fewer units end up relying on Markerlights. Here's an idea for a simple all-Battlesuit force:

-

HQ - Commander Shadowsun w/ 2x Shield Drones, 1x Command-Link Drone (189) [Warlord, Tenacious Survivor]
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176) [Puretide Engram Neurochip]
Elites - 4x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (167)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons; Drone Controller, 2x Marker Drones (115)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons; Drone Controller, 2x Marker Drones (115)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Flamers, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Marker Drones (327)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Marker Drones (327)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Flamers, Drone Controller; 4x Gun Drones, 2x Marker Drones (255)

Total: 1850 - Command points: 5 (2 Vanguard Detachments)

-

There's an 1850 point list that could really work. Going to 2000 might be tough without another Commander or more Drones I think. Why not try out 1850 for now, and then see how things stand when the Codex comes out?

Return to “Cadre Building”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests