a list for 1850pts for a total newbie...

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
melaniros
Shas'Saal

a list for 1850pts for a total newbie...

Post#1 » Dec 15 2017 03:40

so i have played one open play at 500PT and i was lost of course..too many mistakes from my part..
Now i have managed to buy 2 start collecting , 1 pathfinder and i'm waiting 1 Battleforce T’au Empire Rapid Insertion Force..

i have read the suggestions here and i have made some lists on my own , mostly around vanguard det. and/or battalion..

what the experienced members here would suggest for a semi-competitive list at 1850ps on match play, mainly against ultramarines and deathguard

melaniros
Shas'Saal

Re: a list for 1850pts for a total newbie...

Post#2 » Dec 17 2017 10:13

Mmm.. ok. I m sorry for the last post. I hadn't read the instruction how to post an army list!!

So i have made so far 2 lists at 1850ps which i believe are a little fluff oriented!! I'd like to advice me in what changes may need to play effectively against primaris ultramarines

let me post them with my reasons oh these choices..

Battalion derachment - 1849pts
HQ
- Commander -176pts
( 4xFB, 2x shield drones) -

- Commander in XV84 - 154pts
(2× MP, 2x marker drones

TROOPS
- Breacher team- 83pts
( 9x FW- , 1x shas'ui)

- Strike team - 63pts
(4 x FW , 1x shas'ui with ML, Turret w/MP)

-Strike team - 63pts
(4x FW, 1x shas'ui with ML, Turret w/ MP)-

ELITES
- XV25 STEALTSUITS - 178pts
(3x stealth shas'ui with BC & EWO, 1x stelath savre with BC, Drone controller, ML, TL)

- XV8 Battlesuits- 605pts
(4x Crisis shas'ui with 3x FB, 1Crisis shav're with 3x FB, 10x gun drones

- XV8 Battlesuits - 294pts
(3x Crisis shas, ui with 2x MP & ATS)

FAST ATTACK
- Pathfinders - 161pts
( 4x PF with curbines, 3x PF with Rail lifle, 1x Pf shas'ui, 2x marker drones, 1x recon drone, 1x Pulse accelerator drone)

- Tactical drones- 72pts
(7x gun drones, 2x shied drones)

Most probably i ll start second
So my plan was to use pathfinders and strike teams as gunline in the bottom of my side
. Have stealtsuits and breacher teams at their fkanks and the drones at front of them as a screening units against deep strike
The MPvattlesuits and XV84 commander will come wirh manta in my turn to support the gun line and to not be hit from the start
The commander and XV8 with pulse FB will cone to hit the most adcancing heavy units- vehicles.. of course the units will be placed as close as possible to objectives while i try to keep their formation

I know its too good to be true scenario if i judje by the battles i have tead here...but plesae tell me your opinions
have in mind i have only the boxes i mentioned in the former post...

I ll write later the second list...

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 17 2017 02:30

Hey there! Hope you're enjoying tau so far!

Couple of things I've seen with your list, the second commander had only 2 missile pods? Should probably have 3x missile pods and an ATS as well.
The Missile Pod turrets are probably not worth taking on the strike teams either, with the new way to play gun lines they don't seem to work too well.

I've written up two lists for you; one with just the models you currently own and one that is with a few additions, similar to what I'm using against a space wolves army I play against regularly. :)

List 1: no extra models

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [25 PL, 447pts] ++

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [6 PL, 92pts]
. 6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: 3x Ion rifle

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Ethereal [3 PL, 50pts]: Honour blade, Hover Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [3 PL, 43pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [69 PL, 1404pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ethereal [3 PL, 50pts]: Honour blade, Hover Drone

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 154pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: 2x Advanced targeting system, 2x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 154pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: 2x Advanced targeting system, 2x Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 306pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 255pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Flamer

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 306pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 179pts]: 2x Flamer, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

++ Total: [94 PL, 1851pts] ++

List 2: adding another commander and a fireblade. (I don't like ethereals :P)

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [32 PL, 523pts] ++

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [8 PL, 136pts]: MB3 Recon Drone, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. 6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: 3x Ion rifle

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5 PL, 59pts]
. 6x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [5 PL, 59pts]
. 6x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [5 PL, 51pts]
. 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [70 PL, 1330pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 156pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Missile pod

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 150pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 150pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [26 PL, 408pts]: 5x MV1 Gun Drone, 3x MV4 Shield Drone

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 255pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Flamer

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 211pts]: 2x Flamer, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Shield generator, Target lock

++ Total: [102 PL, 1853pts] ++

How does it sound to you? The second list is a spin off of what id run, but It only works for me against troop heavy marine armies.
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 17 2017 11:02

Aspiring Commander wrote:Couple of things I've seen with your list, the second commander had only 2 missile pods? Should probably have 3x missile pods and an ATS as well.

It's because the Commander is an XV84, not an enforcer- it comes pre-equipped with a Target Lock and Networked Markerlight, and therefore can only have two other weapons (as opposed to the full four on the enforcer).

Aspiring Commander wrote:I've written up two lists for you; one with just the models you currently own and one that is with a few additions, similar to what I'm using against a space wolves army I play against regularly.

The lists look solid, but I would recommend more MSU. The large squads will lose preventable casualties due to morale, and the Ethereal can't be everywhere at once. I'd reduce the squad size and break up the army a bit more.

Melaniros, here's a way to re-write your list a little more competitively. I wouldn't make an XV84 Commander, just use the Ethereal as your second HQ choice. You have a lot of models, but very few HQs, so it would be a good idea to get a Fireblade or another Commander in the future. Anyway, here goes:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Ethereal w/ Honor Blade (45)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & Drone Controller, 2x Burst Cannon & ATS, Homing Beacon (142)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannon & ATS (114)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 3x Flamers; 6x Gun Drones (327)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elitrs - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS, 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 1849 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

The Fusion Commander and Fusion XV8s destroy tanks, and the CIB XV8s and CIR Ghostkeel can kill tanks and heavy infantry. The Stealthsuits help the XV8s and Ghostkeel, and also have a Homing Beacon. There are four squads of Fire Warriors to get more Markerlights, and the Ethereal can use Sense of Stone to keep them alive.

What do you think?

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 18 2017 10:19

It's because the Commander is an XV84, not an enforcer- it comes pre-equipped with a Target Lock and Networked Markerlight, and therefore can only have two other weapons (as opposed to the full four on the enforcer

My bad, misread it!

You have a lot of models, but very few HQs, so it would be a good idea to get a Fireblade or another Commander in the future

Totally agree here: it's the two units I added to make the second list :P

-Commander Shadowsun

melaniros
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 18 2017 01:55

Aspiring Commander wrote:
Melaniros, here's a way to re-write your list a little more competitively. I wouldn't make an XV84 Commander, just use the Ethereal as your second HQ choice. You have a lot of models, but very few HQs, so it would be a good idea to get a Fireblade or another Commander in the future. Anyway, here goes:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & Drone Controller, 2x Burst Cannon & ATS, Homing Beacon (142)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannon & ATS (114)
Elitrs - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS, 2x Stealth Drones (181)

Total: 1849 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

The Fusion Commander and Fusion XV8s destroy tanks, and the CIB XV8s and CIR Ghostkeel can kill tanks and heavy infantry. The Stealthsuits help the XV8s and Ghostkeel, and also have a Homing Beacon. There are four squads of Fire Warriors to get more Markerlights, and the Ethereal can use Sense of Stone to keep them alive.

What do you think?

Well. I have only one CIB in all these boxes... :( some other weapons? Like FB perhaps?

About the breacher team no change to use them here right? Except if i buy a devilfish?(more hammerhead with a fireblae most propably)

Thanks a lot by the way. You really helped. Soon i ll come with my seconf list :)

Oh and what is MSU ??

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 18 2017 04:12

Well. I have only one CIB in all these boxes... :( some other weapons? Like FB perhaps

If you're playing casually, most players won't mind if they're not what-you-see-is-what-you-get.

MSU means multiple small units- they're better for morale etc.

Also this is the list Arka posted not me :P but this is very similar/ probably more competitive.

-Commander Shadowsun

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Dec 18 2017 08:50

Aspiring Commander wrote:Also this is the list Arka posted not me :P but this is very similar/ probably more competitive.

Thanks! Your list was good too. I'd still suggest the change about squad size though- 3battlesuits is effective and manageable, 5-6 infantry is manageable, and I think higher numbers of infantry are only effective with Ethereal support (as in the list in my signature).

melaniros wrote:Well. I have only one CIB in all these boxes... :( some other weapons? Like FB perhaps?

If I were you, I would proxy the weapons as other weapons. If you want to only use weapons that you own, could you please post a list of the weapon bits that you have?

melaniros wrote:About the breacher team no change to use them here right? Except if i buy a devilfish?(more hammerhead with a fireblae most propably)

If you want to use Breachers, I recommend a Devilfish.

melaniros
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 20 2017 11:42

Arka0415 wrote:
melaniros wrote:Well. I have only one CIB in all these boxes... :( some other weapons? Like FB perhaps?

If I were you, I would proxy the weapons as other weapons. If you want to only use weapons that you own, could you please post a list of the weapon bits that you have?

well this is the list for the battlesuits and commander:

fusion blasters: 17 (+2 from stealthsuits)
missole pods: 10
plasma rifles: 15
famers: 12
cib: 1
airbustiong fragmetation projector: 1

also here is my second list... sorry for the lack of points , i don't have it at front of me right now...it's at 1850pts too

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Shield Drones

Elites - 5x Stealthsuits w/ 5x Burst Cannon & ATS (or EWO), 1x stealthsuit shav're w/ 1x Burst Cannons & drone controller , Marketlight, targetlock, Homing Beacon , 2x marker drones

Elites - 9x XV8s w/ 15x Fusion Blasters, 8x Missile pods, 4x ATS , 16x Gun Drones

Elitrs - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Fusion Blasters, EWO, Shield Generator, , 2x Stealth Drones

Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights , 3x pathfinders w/ 3x Rail LIfles, 2x marker drones, 1x recon drone, 1x Pulse accelerator drone)

my priority as a stealth cadre wss to attack first at all costs ... so i brought as less as possible units for the 1850 pts... i have chosen the EWO to counter as best i can, the possibility my opponent send a deep strike in his turn το immobilxed my few units...

welll.... not a good choice after all these i have read , but please, what 'd be your choice for a stealth cadre??

generally these are the 2 types of tactics i d like to play and have some connection with fluff... stealth with alpha strike and anvil with hammer army lists...

Oh..,and thank you both guys.. :biggrin:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Dec 20 2017 10:05

melaniros wrote:HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Shield Drones

Elites - 5x Stealthsuits w/ 5x Burst Cannon & ATS (or EWO), 1x stealthsuit shav're w/ 1x Burst Cannons & drone controller , Marketlight, targetlock, Homing Beacon , 2x marker drones

Elites - 9x XV8s w/ 15x Fusion Blasters, 8x Missile pods, 4x ATS , 16x Gun Drones

Elitrs - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Fusion Blasters, EWO, Shield Generator, , 2x Stealth Drones

Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights , 3x pathfinders w/ 3x Rail LIfles, 2x marker drones, 1x recon drone, 1x Pulse accelerator drone)

my priority as a stealth cadre wss to attack first at all costs ... so i brought as less as possible units for the 1850 pts... i have chosen the EWO to counter as best i can, the possibility my opponent send a deep strike in his turn το immobilxed my few units...

welll.... not a good choice after all these i have read , but please, what 'd be your choice for a stealth cadre??

XV8s are good units, but they do not work well in large squads. Just imagine rolling a bad morale check and losing 1-2 XV8s. That's hundreds of points! If that's the style of list you want to make, think about it this way:

-

HQ - Commander w/ Cyclic Ion Blaster, 2x Missile Pods, ATS; 2x Marker Drones (170)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 9x Plasma Rifles; 6x Gun Drones (275)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, 2x ATS, DC, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drones (158)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, 2x ATS, DC, Homing Beacon; 2x Gun Drones (158)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (209)

Total: 1749 - Command Points: 5 (2 Vanguard Detachments)

-

That's the largest viable battlesuit list you can make with your collection, I think. Adding more wargear just to get to 1850 will result in a weaker list. Does that make sense?

Anyway, what do you think?

melaniros
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Dec 21 2017 06:11

So the pattern is as small unitd as pissible? How can we achieve the first turn in matched play then? Or it's almost impossible for now??

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Dec 21 2017 06:28

melaniros wrote:So the pattern is as small unitd as pissible? How can we achieve the first turn in matched play then? Or it's almost impossible for now??

With the new Chapter Approved, having fewer units only gets you +1 on the roll for first turn. It's only a small bonus.

The problem is, you are trying to play large games with a small army. If you want to play a 1750-point game or a 1850-point game, having 9-10 units is a great number.

Return to “Cadre Building”