2000 point Chapter Approved test

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
BallsMcGee94
Shas

2000 point Chapter Approved test

Post#1 » Dec 17 2017 11:41

Hello all! My ball and chain event from a while back went really well! I ended up 5th out of 20 people. But now I'm prepping for 2k points.

With the new chapter approved relic and stratagem I think it can be easier to bring things like Broadsides, with the up to BS from markerlights being easier. That being said, this is merely a test list and I don't think it is in any way complete. After what I saw and faced at the 1k tournament, and since then in pick up games, a lot of my meta is tanks, knights, and demons.

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [65 PL, 1354pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [10 PL, 200pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Railgun, Seeker missile

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [10 PL, 200pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Railgun, Seeker missile

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [9 PL, 196pts]
. Broadside Shas'vre: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy rail rifle, Seeker missile

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [9 PL, 196pts]
. Broadside Shas'vre: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy rail rifle, Seeker missile

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 137pts]: Advanced targeting system, Drone controller, 2x Missile pod

Longstrike [11 PL, 225pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Railgun, 2x Seeker missile

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [40 PL, 646pts] ++

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [7 PL, 118pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
. 2x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle: 2x Rail rifle

Pathfinder Team [7 PL, 118pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone

Pathfinder Team [7 PL, 130pts]: MB3 Recon Drone, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone

Tactical Drones [6 PL, 80pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone, 4x MV4 Shield Drone

Tactical Drones [6 PL, 80pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone, 4x MV4 Shield Drone

+ HQ +

Aun'Shi [4 PL, 68pts]

Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 52pts]: Markerlight, MV7 Marker Drone

++ Total: [105 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Re: 2000 point Chapter Approved test

Post#2 » Dec 18 2017 06:49

Hey! I like your list in general. I actually had some similar lists tried out before the stratagem and so. But I have some points to make, although almost all of them ar minor suggestions or ideas, more than huge disagreements:

List
- First, it really helps a lot if you explain your idea with the list. Even though I may guess it, as it seems a very static one, maybe you have some trick or idea that you may explain us, to better understand the whole capabilities of that list. Also, I don't see your warlord traits and relic assigned to any of your Characters, which is very important, now that we have such things! :biggrin:

Concept
- I see that you are using subotimal units, useless before, and now open for discussion again thanks to those Chapter aproved goodies. I like that a lot, and I think Rail Rifles are one of them, as well as non-flamer Crisis Teams.

Broadside
Regarding specific units, I like your decision on trying out those XV88, which at 2 shoots at BS4+ and almost 200 pts are almost as overpriced and unplayable as the Riptides. And you try to improve them to BS3+, Rerolling 1's, being able to move and shoot, and ignoring cover. Sounds good in paper, that's for sure. But there are some things I want to comment on:
- SMS on HRR broadsides always seem like a missmatch. SMS with ATS is likely one of my favourite T'au weapon combinations (a part from the price), but the ATS does nothing to the HRR. An AP-5 weapon that ignores cover will have the exactly same effect than a flat AP-4 one in 99% of the times. That said, if you really want those super deadly SMS on them, I don't see an argument not to bring them, as only if you consider other support systems (Shield Generator, Velocity tracker) can ATS be open for a debate. Having 8 Shield drones nearby already, and if your meta does not include a LOT of fliers... I can see how ATS can be your pick.
- When you have 4 other Seeker missile platforms with better BS, mobility and durability (durability depend on how many drones are you willing to sac to protect them) than broadsides, I cannot agree on giving them some, unless you run out of slots on those other places. I would consider on giving those 2 missiles on your Hammer heads.

Hammerheads
Regarding those, I don't see how you improve them with our new stratagem, as they already hit on 2+ with Longstrike. Of course it will be easier to move and shoot at 2+, re-rolling 1's and ignoring cover (one of their weapons already does and the other one doesn't need it). I guess you will be always able to fire some 2+ seeker missile with longstrike, a Cadre fireblade and 1 CP. That would bring the discussion on the usefulness of those missiles, and while a bit expensive, I am a fan overall of mortal wounds at 72"!
That said, I see how giving your HH self-sufficiency when Longstrike is not around can be a good thing... even though at that point (turn 2-3) your markerlight support force will be severly damaged.

Longstrike
this guy is awesome, and I always like seeing him in a list. But as a minor comment, I tend not to load him at all. I let him being a 2+ to hit, 2+ to wound anti-tank sniper that can inflict 4-7 wounds on a vehicle or monster if you have a re-roll at the ready. I give the seeker missiles to the standard hammerheads always, because if I don't have first turn, He dead. For the same reason I almost never give him SMS, even he is great with them.

Aun'Shi
I hate giving my ethereal upgrades. In my experience, if your ethereal, who is there to bump up (6+++ most of the time) infantry/suits and taking care of morale with drones, has to engage combat.... you are pretty much done. Aun'Shi's special abilities won't swing a fight in your favor, at least not one that I can think off. If this would not be the case, I would deffend playing this guy over an etheral, because you are actually getting Shield Generator, +1W, +2A and +1WS (which makes him a threat in some cases), as well as his cool combat ability, for 23 more points.
My point is that the points you are getting back from your ethereal are moral boost and 6+++, which you can have for 45p or for 68p.
The ability to give him a hover drone for 5pts is also great IMO, it keeps your main auras in the right point, even being able to follow advancing drones!

Pathfinders
Despite my negativity so far, all my comments are minor concerns or thoughts. But in this point I both strongly love the idea, but as strongly disagree on the configuration.
Those are your main makerlight force, and you have plenty of them (18). I am a user and defender of the Rail Rifle, which while being really an expensive weapon is great at everything.
From my experience, it won't take much for your opponent to start fearing those weapons, and shooting at them quickly. And those pathfinders are weak as hell. Even if you count on protecting them with drones, with lasers wounding on 4+, bolters on 3+, and other anti-infantry even on 2+, you will be out of those guys before you expect. Not to talk about morale, which as your units are big, losing 5 guys will probably kill the rest of the unit, and I can tell you that if those last 3 guys were Rail rifle equipped, that hurts a lot points-wise.
Buy mixing a powerful but expensive weapon with markerlight support, you are making those cheap units into way more expensive and worth shooting, as well as giving your opponent too many reasons why to shoot them. I see it this way:

- Your opponents probably (90%?) have some portion of their lists focused into killing infantry, either on purpose (flamers) or incidentally (secondary tank weapons, lots of bolters/laserguns...). You have only 3 light-infantry units to shoot at, so those weapons will go here most of the time.

- If your opponent realizes that your list holds itself thanks to the markerlight support (as Broadsides are useless otherwise) they will shoot at them even more. They will easily kill all of them, and you will have lost 132p in expensive weapons that will have shoot 1 shot each.

- If your opponent identifies those Rail rifles as threads, they also will shoot at them. And all those key markers will fall with them, taking a key aspect of your game plan.

- Another bad thing when combining RR with markerlights is that when you declare targets when shooting with the same unit, you have to declare them for all shoots made from this unit, including both markerlights and RR. If you plan on lighting up some units to fire your Railrifles at them after, you will not be knowing if the math will come or not. If you have different units, you can start lightning that target first, and then fire with your RR at it if you got enough marker counters.

- Last thing on combining those weapons: you are combining a Heavy weapon with a Rapid Fire one. Rapid fire cares a lot about moving and getting at the exact range, while heavy weapons don't, and want to stay still.

In my mind, markerlight units have to be as cheap as possibile, and as small as possible. This way makes your opponent shoot at 40p of random dudes that are pumping your whole team, letting your drones and Railrifles alone.

Also, Railrifle units have to be part of a mobile and aggressive list, being able to take advantage of their Vanguard (if you go first, move forward and prepare to move again and shoot in rapid fire range; if you go second, put yourself in cover or close to some shield drones). Also as small as possible with good shield drone support.

Regarding special drones, the Grav-inhibitor one is always out of the picture for me, and the Pulse accelerator one is worth it if you plan on making a Firewarrior (25+) buble at 36" and shooting 3 times at 18" thanks to a Cadre fireblade. I tend to end up picking Shield and Gun drones over those anyway.

If your reasoning on why to put some RailRifles on those Pathfinders is to give some longrange shooting, I have to recommend you the Ion Rifle, which only cost 7p, and when overcharged it allow you to shoot D3 shoots per weapon at the full 30", as it doesn't care about rapid fire range anymore, and it can take advantage of the MB3 Recon Drone, as AP-1 negating cover can be a big deal.
that said, maybe you could be better served by using those Railrifle points into putting 3xFirewarrior units, to take advantage of the Pulse accelerator drone, of the Cadre Fireblade, and of those +3CP that they give you. Or take.. more drones, as they will be key to make your markerlights and Broadsides survive enough!

Conclusion
Overall, I like the list, excepting that pathfinder configuration I just talked about. I think that with changes on that (18 naked pathfinders cost 222 less points than your actual set up), and changing the Aun'Shi for a convenional Etheral (23p) and your alone Marker drone (10p) you could put a lot more markerlights, drones (either Gun or Shield ones, to improve your dakka at close range, or your durability), another Hammerhead, or even a comination of those things!

I hope I didn't sound too negative, as I have only pointed out the points I disagree with. Please, bear in mind that if I haven't commented on something, is because I agree 100% on it, and even I have commented on almost all units on the list, almost all of them are minor suggestions! And again, overall I do think is a good idea to try those new CA rules that affect us! :biggrin:
congrats on the good work!
Last edited by JancoBCN on Dec 19 2017 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 18 2017 08:21

JancoBCN wrote:Hey! I like your list in general. I actually had some similar lists tried out before the stratagem and so. But I have some points to make, although almost all of them are minor suggestions or ideas, more than huge disagreements.

I hope I didn't sound too negative, as I have only pointed out the points I disagree with. Please, bear in mind that if I haven't commented on something, is because I agree 100% on it, and even I have commented on almost all units on the list, almost all of them are minor suggestions! And again, overall I do think is a good idea to try those new CA rules that affect us! :biggrin:

Nice, I honestly agree with most everything here. I think lots of Tau units- such as Broadsides- are improved by the new stratagem but not made competitive, yet. Even though we can improve their accuracy, I still wouldn't take them. A few things I would mention though:

First, I do think that SMS is the better option on a Railside. It may seem like an odd choice, and yes ATS doesn't work well on it, but SMS allows the Broadside to keep its anti-infantry weapon relevant at long range. A Broadside can sit back behind a protective screen of Fire Warriors and shoot at infantry units that are far away from it. Again, SMS allows the Broadside to be more relevant, which is very important considering its high cost. Now, Broadsides are still bad, so my argument is trivial at best I think, but you get the idea :D

Second, let me get in on this part of the conversation too, Rail Rifle Pathfinders and Shield Drones go well together. I thank user QimRas for pointing this out. If a Pathfinder is wounded and passes the wound to a Shield Drone, the overall durability of the squad goes up. With Fire Warriors overall durability goes down, but flimsier Pathfinders are protected excellently by Shield Drones.

I'm definitely curious to see how CA improves our lists, but my opinion is the same as in the other thread- Uplinked Markerlights improve our XV8s. Commanders are still better, but only by a fraction.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 18 2017 08:39

Arka0415 wrote:
JancoBCN wrote:Hey! I like your list in general. I actually had some similar lists tried out before the stratagem and so. But I have some points to make, although almost all of them are minor suggestions or ideas, more than huge disagreements.

Nice, I honestly agree with most everything here. I think lots of Tau units- such as Broadsides- are improved by the new stratagem but not made competitive, yet. Even though we can improve their accuracy, I still wouldn't take them. A few things I would mention though:

First, I do think that SMS is the better option on a Railside. It may seem like an odd choice, and yes ATS doesn't work well on it, but SMS allows the Broadside to keep its anti-infantry weapon relevant at long range. A Broadside can sit back behind a protective screen of Fire Warriors and shoot at infantry units that are far away from it. Again, SMS allows the Broadside to be more relevant, which is very important considering its high cost. Now, Broadsides are still bad, so my argument is trivial at best I think, but you get the idea :D

Even though it is odd, I totally agree with your argument, and despite the fact that I am not gonna use Broadsides anymore until (hopefully) codex arrives and makes them as scary as they were back in 5th ed, if you want to play them, SMS is the way to go (SMS with ATS is my favourite T'au weapon, regarding stats and what it can do... it is so good!).

Arka0415 wrote:Second, let me get in on this part of the conversation too, Rail Rifle Pathfinders and Shield Drones go well together. I thank user QimRas for pointing this out. If a Pathfinder is wounded and passes the wound to a Shield Drone, the overall durability of the squad goes up. With Fire Warriors overall durability goes down, but flimsier Pathfinders are protected excellently by Shield Drones.

Are there any posts dedicated to this point (Railrifles, pathfinders, shield drones, ...)? I would love to read it!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 18 2017 08:56

JancoBCN wrote:Even though it is odd, I totally agree with your argument, and despite the fact that I am not gonna use Broadsides anymore until (hopefully) codex arrives and makes them as scary as they were back in 5th ed, if you want to play them, SMS is the way to go (SMS with ATS is my favourite T'au weapon, regarding stats and what it can do... it is so good!).

I agree with you- consider my argument clarified by "if the Broadside was cheaper..." In theory the HRR and SMS are a good pair, as both are long-range options that stay relevant even in the presence of LOS-blocking cover. However, this doesn't change the fact that the Broadside should cost around 100 points, not 200! :-?

JancoBCN wrote:Are there any posts dedicated to this point (Railrifles, pathfinders, shield drones, ...)? I would love to read it!

Sadly this was all discussed in a long series of PMs rather than a thread. Let me quickly start a thread though so we don't get off-topic on this one:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26981&p=341797#p341797

BallsMcGee94
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 18 2017 06:47

First I want to thank everyone for the replies! Lots of helpful suggestions and thoughts. My goal for this list was basically a big guns never tire kind of style where a lot of points and power are in high powered guns, tanks and broadsides. However after reading the feedback I agree, the points just are not there yet. So I have made some changes, namely increasing my number of fire warriors and swapping the Aun'shi into a regular ethereal as well as changing the pathfinders into basically markerlight batteries. Removing their heavy guns with the intent of just using positioning and their vanguard ability to get them to cover and then marker lights away. Idealy the mass of gun fire from fire warriors and drones will take much of my opponents attention, turn one at least (if im not turn one) allowing me to light up and then bring the pain with tanks, broadside, and fusion commanders. Here is the list:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [41 PL, 548pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

+ Troops +

Strike Team [5 PL, 51pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 5x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [6 PL, 72pts]: 5x MV1 Gun Drone, 4x MV4 Shield Drone

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander [6 PL, 137pts]: Advanced targeting system, Drone controller, 2x Missile pod

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [40 PL, 796pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [10 PL, 195pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Railgun

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship [10 PL, 195pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Railgun

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [9 PL, 191pts]
. Broadside Shas'vre: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy rail rifle

+ HQ +

Longstrike [11 PL, 215pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Railgun

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [36 PL, 650pts] ++

+ Troops +

Strike Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [4 PL, 48pts]: MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Ethereal [3 PL, 50pts]: Honour blade, Hover Drone

++ Total: [117 PL, 1994pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Dec 20 2017 09:49

This looks very much improved. I'd reduce the size of the Drone squads though, they'll absolutely collapse due to morale losses, and I'll still question the inclusion of the Broadside but let's keep it in for now. Here's what I'd do:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Fusion Blasters (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller (135)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Ethereal on Hover Drone w/ Honour Blade (50)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (225)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Heavy Support - Hammerhead Gunship w/ Railgun, 2x SMS, 2x Seeker Missiles (205)
Heavy Support - Broadside w/ Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x SMS, Velocity Tracker; 2x Shield Drones (201)

Total: 2001 - Command Points: 11 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Spearhead Detachment)

-

If you swap the Broadside for aother Hammerhead this list would be even better though, in my opinion. Anyway, what do you think?

BallsMcGee94
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 21 2017 03:21

Arka0415 wrote:This looks very much improved. I'd reduce the size of the Drone squads though, they'll absolutely collapse due to morale losses, and I'll still question the inclusion of the Broadside but let's keep it in for now. Here's what I'd do:

-

HQ - Ethereal on Hover Drone w/ Honour Blade (50)
Heavy Support - Broadside w/ Heavy Rail Rifle, 2x SMS, Velocity Tracker; 2x Shield Drones (201)

Total: 2001 - Command Points: 11 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Spearhead Detachment)

-

If you swap the Broadside for aother Hammerhead this list would be even better though, in my opinion. Anyway, what do you think?

I think this looks pretty good! I agree. Probably should split up the drone squads. What about taking more shield drones? Bringing a unit or so of them to provide that FNP and wounds for broadside and other infantry. Thats why I had them initially, they can soak a lot of wounds and make for a great screen with their invuln on top.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Dec 24 2017 07:35

BallsMcGee94 wrote:I think this looks pretty good! I agree. Probably should split up the drone squads. What about taking more shield drones? Bringing a unit or so of them to provide that FNP and wounds for broadside and other infantry. Thats why I had them initially, they can soak a lot of wounds and make for a great screen with their invuln on top.

We can definitely do that. I wouldn't invest too much into the Broadside (it already has two Shield Drones) but since the Ethereal will be nearby we can give him a pair of Shield Drones and have those four gather near the Broadside. A simple change, but something like this:

-

HQ - Ethereal on Hover Drone w/ Honour Blade; 2x Shield Drones (66)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)

-

What do you think?

BallsMcGee94
Shas

Post#10 » Dec 25 2017 12:58

Arka0415 wrote:
BallsMcGee94 wrote:I think this looks pretty good! I agree. Probably should split up the drone squads. What about taking more shield drones? Bringing a unit or so of them to provide that FNP and wounds for broadside and other infantry. Thats why I had them initially, they can soak a lot of wounds and make for a great screen with their invuln on top.

We can definitely do that. I wouldn't invest too much into the Broadside (it already has two Shield Drones) but since the Ethereal will be nearby we can give him a pair of Shield Drones and have those four gather near the Broadside. A simple change, but something like this:

-

HQ - Ethereal on Hover Drone w/ Honour Blade; 2x Shield Drones (66)

-

What do you think?

I think that looks really good! Lots of Dakka, ob sec, and flat out pain train possibilities in this list. I am going to have to give it a try after Christmas

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Dec 25 2017 01:05

BallsMcGee94 wrote:I think that looks really good! Lots of Dakka, ob sec, and flat out pain train possibilities in this list. I am going to have to give it a try after Christmas

If you have a fourth Hammerhead chassis this may be better:

-

HQ - Ethereal w/ Honor Blade (45)

Total: 2000 - Command Points: 11 (2 Battalion Detachments, 1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Spearhead Detachment)

-

At any rate, enjoy! I hope it works well! Remember your only answer to Terminators or Primaris spam is to drown them in S5 firepower. Good luck!

Return to “Cadre Building”