Help a new Tau player

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Razzmatazz
Shas

Help a new Tau player

Post#1 » Dec 19 2017 04:12

Hello there, I'm a new Tau player and I have trouble making a 2k list that can do something. I play against SM and Dark Eldar. My collection includes:
KV128
1 Commander
1 Shas'o Ralai
1 Ethereal
1 Longstrike
4 Gun drones
6 Dx4 Technical Drones
1 XV109
2 Hammerhead
1 XV88
4 XV8
15 krout carnivores
22 Fire Warriors
1 XV95
10 Pathfinders
(Included are all drones that came with all those units)
Also I have a KX139.
I play with different setups but I keep loosing hands down. I really think I can win both the Fully flying Dark Eldar setup and The Fully Marines-Terminator army they put against me. Any thoughts about the direction I should head so I can make a viable and competitive army against my bastard friends?
Thanks for reading and I hope I can get some help from you guys
Andreas

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Help a new Tau player

Post#2 » Dec 19 2017 05:02

You have all that and you're a "new Tau player"?! :P

Razzmatazz
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 19 2017 05:05

Well these belonged to a friend that gave up the sport (Wife made him) and sold them to me at a very reasonable price.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 19 2017 08:16

That explains it :) As for starting out, I recommend playing around with the 1000point mark to begin with. Find the units you like, and try and narrow down the ones you like most, or the ones that work best in combination with the ones you like. Take velocity trackers against flying enemies. You get +1 BS against them. As for terminators, there's two ways you can do it; lots and lots of mid strength firepower, or small amounts of powerful firepower.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 19 2017 01:48

Bloodknife92 wrote:That explains it :) As for starting out, I recommend playing around with the 1000point mark to begin with. Find the units you like, and try and narrow down the ones you like most, or the ones that work best in combination with the ones you like. Take velocity trackers against flying enemies. You get +1 BS against them. As for terminators, there's two ways you can do it; lots and lots of mid strength firepower, or small amounts of powerful firepower.

Definitely start slow with the 1k lists to learn and then build to 2k. Are you using only the models as you have them or will your friends let you proxy some stuff and their weapons?

Razzmatazz
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 19 2017 03:39

Yojimbob wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:That explains it :) As for starting out, I recommend playing around with the 1000point mark to begin with. Find the units you like, and try and narrow down the ones you like most, or the ones that work best in combination with the ones you like. Take velocity trackers against flying enemies. You get +1 BS against them. As for terminators, there's two ways you can do it; lots and lots of mid strength firepower, or small amounts of powerful firepower.

Definitely start slow with the 1k lists to learn and then build to 2k. Are you using only the models as you have them or will your friends let you proxy some stuff and their weapons?

I can proxy what ever i want an i have access to 6 xv25 if i want them. I'm afraid didn't state something that is important. I have been playing Death Guard army for 4 months now with success against those 2 idiots:P So i have experience with 40k, i do have serious problem with that damn SM army as a Tau. Its a bit frustrating loosing every single game.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#7 » Dec 19 2017 04:17

As you do have some experience with the game let's start looking at some T'au combos you need to understand and work with.

The Y'Vahra is an absolute terror weapon which will vaporise whole units of Terminators at a time if you can keep it alive. Its main weapon is the flamer and that ignores to-hit penalties so Drukhari should fear it. Load it up with ATS and Stims. You mostly keep it alive by keeping drones near it at all times to use Saviour Protocols to intercept big heavy weapons that can really hurt it. Feel free to Nova charge those weapons every now and again because you need this big suit to be very killy indeed. Ordinarily I am not a fan of the technical drones out in the open,

The Crisis suits can drop in when you need them to lay down firepower. There are a lot of opinions on what to bring on them but for general all-round firepower I would start out with the CIB and only switch to something else once you have the hang of them and really know what else you want and why. They need support from markerlights, if you put O'Ralai in among a nice big bunch of marker drones you should get enough hits and there is always the Uplinked Markerlight stratagem when you fall slightly short. To bring them in exactly where you want them a homing beacon is nice, it is certainly not essential with the CIB weapon load but it is still nice. Bring maximum drones with the crisis suits and drop near the Y'Vahra to replenish its drone supply, otherwise you will tend to find she out-runs her drone support and gets into trouble against massed Blasters/Plasma etc.

O'Ralai is a decent support character who sits in the backfield - a good place to put the Puretide Engram Neurochip to try to rack up a few more command points. He lays down moderate firepower and makes the drones around him decent with his Drone Controller. Do not be afraid to use him aggressively especially later on, he is tough.

If you stick a few pathfinders in cover they may or may not survive, in combination with the marker drones you should hope to have enough markerlights going on turn 2 or even 3 to still hit hard with your "normal" BS4+ units. You do not really have enough Commanders (or other BS2+ units) to be trying to play without markerlights unless you proxy all your Crisis suits as Commanders.

The Commander is an all-star and probably best kitted out as a pure trouble-shooter with the full Fusion Blaster load. It is our best way to deal with hard to kill targets.

If your opponents are using deployment tricks such as pre-game scout moves or deep-strike to undo your plans then you want to look to the Stealth Suits, Ghostkeel and possibly Kroot to get out there during the deployment and pre-game stages to zone out areas of the table and deny them to your opponents. None of these are real damage-output star units but they give you substantial control over where your opponents can appear and that is a powerful thing. Homing beacons and maybe drone controllers on the Stealth Teams are nice to work with the Crisis suits and their drones.

If you can zone the table well enough then Longstrike and a Hammerhead become viable, they need to keep the opposition at long range to have any decent survival chances - even so I fear they will crumble fast to Lascannon/Lance fire as T'au tend to lose long-range firefights with the Index rules. If you do take the tanks then absolutely do load up with Seeker Missiles to get a bit more hitting power out of them while you have them.

Does that help?

Razzmatazz
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 19 2017 06:29

Nic your answer helps me a lot. I don't even wanna tell you how many mistakes i made in my previous lists... I will try getting 2 more commanders along the way and will make that Marines sweat this time. Thanks for your time m8

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Dec 19 2017 08:23

Nic's advice is excellent. Definitely commit that to memory and you'll have a great start on how Tau work on the battlefield. Though I'll point out that Shas'o R'alai can't take a Puretide Engram Neurochip on account of being a named character.

Anyway, Razzmatazz, looking at your models, you'll definitely want to use, well, just about everything. The Technical Drones, XV88 aren't very effective in the current edition, but the rest of the models very much are.

Let's start with a basic gunline, add some anti-tank support, the Y'vahra, and some XV8s. Stealthsuits would really help in this list, so consider them for a future purchase. Anyway:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Shas'o R'alai; 2x Blacklight Marker Drones (150)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Ionic Discharge Cannon, Phased Ion Flamer, Target Lock, ATS (415)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

That's 1279 points, and should represent a very solid core to any list you want to write. We can add a little more to bring it to 1500 points too. We need a little more anti-infantry, and another HQ unit can't hurt, just to give us more Command Points:

HQ - Ethereal w/ Honor Blade (45)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)

We will need to drop a single Fire Warrior for all this, but I think that's okay. All in all, here's how the list would look:

-

Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Ionic Discharge Cannon, Phased Ion Flamer, Target Lock, ATS (415)

Total: 1498 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

To bring this list to 2000 points, you could either add the Stormsurge, or the Hammerheads. I think the Stormsurge will be more useful, so let's try that. I'll only list the optional wargear on the Stormsurge (it has too many guns to list) but I think it'll make sense. We'll also add some Kroot for screening, we can't let the enemy get too close to the Stormsurge!

Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
LoW - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Blastcannon, 2x Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, ATS (439)

Here's the final 2000-point list:

-

Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
LoW - Stormsurge w/ Pulse Blastcannon, 2x Burst Cannons, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, ATS (439)

Total: 1995 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment, 1 Super-Heavy Auxiliary)

-

What do you think?

Razzmatazz
Shas

Post#10 » Dec 20 2017 02:37

Arka thanks for the time you took to help me, I like your list and will give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes. I appreciate the fact that you guys have given me an idea of what my units can do and how to use them. I was doing a lot of things wrong and I think I have a better understanding of how to play.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Dec 20 2017 03:20

Razzmatazz wrote:Arka thanks for the time you took to help me, I like your list and will give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes. I appreciate the fact that you guys have given me an idea of what my units can do and how to use them. I was doing a lot of things wrong and I think I have a better understanding of how to play.

You're welcome! If you want to know more about how to use certain units just let us know! List-building is half the battle, but it's only half the battle :D

Return to “Cadre Building”