Killteam list 200p

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Killteam list 200p

Post#1 » Dec 21 2017 09:36

So I might be joining in a killteam tournament soon and I was looking for some acknowledgement in my current team build

(my model count is in my list building thread for reference)

Rules for building the team:
200 points
0-1 Elites
1-2 Troops
0-1 Fast Attack
NO 2+ armour saves
NO model over T5
NO model with more then 4 wounds
NO Smite
NO more then 20 models
Only Infantry/Cavalry/Bikes/Walkers allowed
Units can be less then minimum required at model cost paid. And all models wil act independantly from eachother

So my list:

5 Strike Team Fire Warriors, 1 Shash'ui (ML and pistol) (so 6) - 51 pts
Tactical Drones: 5 Gun drones, 2 Shield Drones, 2 Marker Drones - 76 pts
1 Stealthsuit Burst Cannon - ATS; 1 Stealthsuit Shas'vre (my leader) Burst Cannon - Drone Controler 73 pts
Total: 200 pts

So the idea was to use the Strike Team as long range support while the stealth suits with the drones move up to clear the field with loads of fire power Some ML around to get a needed re-roll 1's and Shield Drones to keep my Shas'vre Stealth suit save if he get's hit past the -1 to hit :)

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: Killteam list 200p

Post#2 » Dec 21 2017 11:28

Technically can't take drones then. And since we don't have bikes this tournament wasn't created with Tau in mind. I'd double check with the TO if Crisis suits or drones could be taken. If they can't I'd go stealths and vespid for hard to hit suits with multiple wounds and the vespid can zoom around doing as they please plus they have good AP guns for those spice mahreens who think the are all that.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 21 2017 12:00

Of course, drones are not classed as infantry :eek:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 21 2017 06:51

What bizarre rules. We Tau can... sort of work with this, I guess. We need one squad of Troops, but we can just take one model for that. Also, I don't think Markerlights will be worth it, since you can only target one model at a time.

The real problem is the lack of access to XV8s and Pathfinder special weapons (too weak as they act independently). At the end of the day without XV8s, Drones, Pathfinders, and Commanders, it's not possible to make a good Tau list. In fact, the ONLY units we have access to are:

Fire Warriors
Breachers
Kroot Carnivores
Stealthsuits
Firesight Marksmen
Kroot Shapers
Pathfinders
Vespid Stingwings

I think the only choice here is ATS-equipped Stealthsuits. Here's a possible list:

-

Troops - 1x Kroot Carnivore (6)
Elites - 5x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & Multi-Tracker, 4x Burst Cannons, 4x ATS (193)

Total: 199 - Command Points: 0 (Not Battle-Forged)

-

You could also try an S5 spam list:

Troops - 1x Fire Warrior w/ Markerlight (11)
Elites - 6x Stealthsuits w/ 6x Burst Cannons (180)
Fast Attack - 1x Pathfinder w/ Markerlight (8)

-

Or, if you're okay with the possibility that you could lose special weapon Pathfinders, then something like this:

-

Troops - 3x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (27)
Elites - 4x Stealthsuits w/ 4x Burst Cannons (120)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)

-

What do you think?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 21 2017 10:26

I think with the restriction on toughness and the restriction on save, we need to focus on being able to kill marines since hordes are ALSO restricted on numbers. Best things we have for killing marines might be breachers, ion pathfinders, ATS stealthsuits or vespid. I think ATS stealths are the obvious choice here with MAYBE a smattering of vespid to go nab objectives or to get some nasty AP on some guys who think they are tough. Especially against a CC army, moving vespid 15-20" per turn and still being able to shoot, albeit weakly, may be your best TACTICAL bet for playing all comers in a tournament setting.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Dec 22 2017 01:04

Yojimbob wrote:I think with the restriction on toughness and the restriction on save, we need to focus on being able to kill marines since hordes are ALSO restricted on numbers. Best things we have for killing marines might be breachers, ion pathfinders, ATS stealthsuits or vespid. I think ATS stealths are the obvious choice here with MAYBE a smattering of vespid to go nab objectives or to get some nasty AP on some guys who think they are tough. Especially against a CC army, moving vespid 15-20" per turn and still being able to shoot, albeit weakly, may be your best TACTICAL bet for playing all comers in a tournament setting.

I don't think StealthKnightSteg has Vespid, and proxying probably isn't allowed. I agree that Ion Rifle Pathfinders could be good, fantastic even, but without Drones to protect them it wouldn't be too hard to kill one with a single Bolt Rifle.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 22 2017 03:54

Wow, nice assesments here.. Didn't think about the drones and their classificaion.. I have put out the question if they are allowed, same for Crisis suit(s)

And indeed I don't have Vespids (also no Kroot, Arka :) )
Also I don't want to be "that guy" by taking only 1 model in the troop section, so minimum 5 here to take.

As for the rest of the options I'll wait to examine them till I know if the drones and Crisis suits are allowed

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Dec 22 2017 04:50

StealthKnightSteg wrote:And indeed I don't have Vespids (also no Kroot, Arka :) )
Also I don't want to be "that guy" by taking only 1 model in the troop section, so minimum 5 here to take.

Argh, my single Kroot strategy is foiled! You might not want to be "that guy", but you'll need to use some tricks if you want to stay competitive with Tau in such a limited tournament format. Maybe something like this?

-

Troops - 4x Fire Warriors (32)
Elites - 5x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 4x Burst Cannons (161)
Fast Attack - 1x Pathfinder w/ Markerlight (8)

Total: 201 - Command Points: 0 (Not Battle-Forged)

-

You also could try something weighted more heavily towards infantry, and hope that you can mess up enemy target selection. Two options on that front:

-

Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 3x ATS (114)
Fast Attack - 4x Pathfinders w/ 1x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (44)

Total: 201 - Command Points: 0 (Not Battle-Forged)

-

Troops - 9x Fire Warriors (72)
Elites - 2x Stealthsuits w/ 2x Burst Cannons, 2x ATS (76)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)

Total: 200 - Command Points: 0 (Not Battle-Forged)

-

What do you think?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Dec 22 2017 06:35, edited 1 time in total.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 22 2017 05:04

I doubt that 2 pathfinders are 8 points in that first list.

But I do lean towards more stealthsuits then.

If the drones are viable how would you go with it? I think Crisis suits are to expensive anyways..

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Dec 22 2017 06:35

StealthKnightSteg wrote:I doubt that 2 pathfinders are 8 points in that first list.

If the drones are viable how would you go with it? I think Crisis suits are to expensive anyways..

Argh, my second typo today. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that you can't take Drones, seeing as they aren't infantry, bikers, or cavalry.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Dec 22 2017 07:05

Arka0415 wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:I doubt that 2 pathfinders are 8 points in that first list.

Argh, my second typo today. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that you can't take Drones, seeing as they aren't infantry, bikers, or cavalry.

Just got word that they are allowed. The rule was merely so that no vehicles and other bigger stuff was taken

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Dec 22 2017 12:13

StealthKnightSteg wrote:Just got word that they are allowed. The rule was merely so that no vehicles and other bigger stuff was taken

That changes things then! Do you want to run drone spam? And does this mean that XV8s are okay?

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Dec 22 2017 05:24

Arka0415 wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:Just got word that they are allowed. The rule was merely so that no vehicles and other bigger stuff was taken

That changes things then! Do you want to run drone spam? And does this mean that XV8s are okay?

Drone spam is a bit exaggerated, but I do think Gun drones bare a lot of fire power aided by a DC on one of the stealth suits and having one or two shield drones around for "leader" protection could serve well

I do think the XV8 is allowed also, but even 1 seems a point sink at this level and the stealth suits just seem so much more durable.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Dec 24 2017 06:16

StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Drone spam is a bit exaggerated, but I do think Gun drones bare a lot of fire power aided by a DC on one of the stealth suits and having one or two shield drones around for "leader" protection could serve well

I do think the XV8 is allowed also, but even 1 seems a point sink at this level and the stealth suits just seem so much more durable.

A single trip Flamer XV8 is only 69pts but being as you're likely to be facing 10-15 infantry models he wreck house.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Dec 24 2017 09:24

Nymphomanius wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:That changes things then! Do you want to run drone spam? And does this mean that XV8s are okay?

A single trip Flamer XV8 is only 69pts but being as you're likely to be facing 10-15 infantry models he wreck house.

Not likely as each model is treated seperately so at most I would hit 3 (due to declarating targets) and kill 3 if I get that many in range

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Dec 24 2017 08:26

StealthKnightSteg wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:
StealthKnightSteg wrote:

Not likely as each model is treated seperately so at most I would hit 3 (due to declarating targets) and kill 3 if I get that many in range

I agree that a Flamer XV8 wouldn't really be worth it. An XV8 with 2x CIBs + ATS could be viable though, as a durable answer to Primaris Marines (though by the rules you won't come across Terminators).

Here are some ideas given the new rules revelations:

-

Troops - 5x Fire Warriors (40)
Elites - 1x XV8 w/ 2x CIBs, ATS; 2x Gun Drones (102)
Elites - 2x Stealthsuits w/ 2x Burst Cannons (60)

Total: 202 - Command Points: 0 (Not Battle-Forged)

-

Troops - 4x Fire Warriors (32)
Elites - 1x XV8 w/ 3x Plasma Rifles; 2x Gun Drones (91)
Elites - 2x Stealthsuits w/ 2x Burst Cannons; 2x Gun Drones (76)

-

Something like that? What do you think?

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Dec 25 2017 07:14

I think it is a strong list on the fire power base, but will get swamped when facing 15-20 models. The shear weight of models will cripple this list very soon I'm afraid

Also maximum of 1 elite choice can be made, so either xv8's or Stealth suits

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Dec 25 2017 08:11

StealthKnightSteg wrote:Also maximum of 1 elite choice can be made, so either xv8's or Stealth suits

Just realized there are two Kill Team-style threads floating around. You aren't allowed a flex slot or anything, right?

StealthKnightSteg wrote:I think it is a strong list on the fire power base, but will get swamped when facing 15-20 models. The shear weight of models will cripple this list very soon I'm afraid.

If an army brings 15 models, they will be Necron Warriors or Space Marines. I wouln't worry about hordes.

I think it would be too easy to kill an XV8 though. It's sad that it's essentially impossible to bring heavy weapons though, we'll have to make do with again only Stealthsuits, Fire Warriors, Pathfinders, and Gun Drones. Let's try something like this then?

-

Troops - 4x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight; 2x Gun Drones (51)
Elites - 2x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & Multi-Tracker, Burst Cannon & ATS; 2x Gun Drones (97)
Fast Attack - 4x Pathfinders w/ Markerlight, 3x Ion Rifles; 2x Shield Drones (52)

Total: 200 - Command Points: 0 (Not Battle-Forged)

-

Shield Drones keep the Ion Rifles alive, otherwise it's Drones wherever you can get them. I'm not sure about the Fusion Blaster- is it worth it?

Anyway, what do you think?

Return to “Cadre Building”