Tau "Horde" List for 2k Matched

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
User avatar
O'Shaska
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 336

Tau "Horde" List for 2k Matched

Post#1 » Dec 24 2017 05:10

Two Battalion Detachments.

2,000 points, 6 Command Points, +3 for Battleforged.
+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched
+ HQ +

Commander: 4x Missile pod: Puretide Engram Neurochip

Commander Shadowsun: MV62 Command-link Drone

Ethereal: Honour blade, Hover Drone

Ethereal: Honour blade

+ Elites +

Kroot Shaper: Kroot rifle

Kroot Shaper: Kroot rifle

+ Troops +

Kroot Carnivores: 20x Kroot

Kroot Carnivores: 20x Kroot

Strike Team
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 11x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 11x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 11x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 11x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team
. 9x Pathfinder: 9x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

Pathfinder Team
. 9x Pathfinder: 9x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

Vespid Stingwings: 7x Vespid Stingwing, Vespid Strain Leader

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits: 3x MV4 Shield Drone
. Broadside Shas'ui: 2x Smart missile system, Heavy rail rifle, Seeker missile, Velocity tracker
. Broadside Shas'ui: 2x Smart missile system, Heavy rail rifle, Seeker missile, Velocity tracker
. Broadside Shas'vre: 2x Smart missile system, Heavy rail rifle, Seeker missile, Velocity tracker

Idea behind the list:

I've so far played only one game with a variant of this list (Extra mp commander+stealths instead of Shadowsun and vespids), so take my findings with salt, as this is an evolution that I will be testing sometime next week. The basic premise is to take advantage of tau infantry getting cheaper (strike teams) and/or staying the same (kroot), to flood the board with bodies, and to provide synergy/support to make them a sort of precision sledgehammer. My thoughts below are as follows:

Fire Warriors at the Vanguard:

Strike Teams are the the frontline units of this sort of army. That may sound strange, to not use the kroot as bubble wrap, but there is a reason for this. Between pulse rifles now needing no worse than a 5+ to wound everything T9 and under, which is a nice buff, and their 4+ saves (3+ with cover), they can take a little more of a beating against small arms fire than kroot, while delivering more punishing firepower than ever before. This front line is supported by shadowsun, pathfinder markerlights, and the ethereals (sense of stone is a nice ability when you have a high model count).

Another advantage to letting enemy units chew up your fire warriors first, is that it leaves your kroot at full strength for a counter charge. More on that below.

Railsides Ain't Dead:

Having used a unit of railsides, I find their firepower more than adequate for their cost, because they reliably delete vehicles and monsters in an edition where vehicles and monsters are supposed to have staying power. Support from Shadowsun, with her ability to call Kauyon twice, is instrumental in making this unit a terror, and given how many units fly (skimmers, flying monsters, etc.), the Velocity tracker makes them that much deadlier for pennies. I have considered the EWO, for the 12" deterrent bubble, but imho, this unit should really be screened by the rest of the army, enough so to make the EWO irrelevant.

Rem ad carnivorios redisse:

I have used Kroot in nearly every Tau list I have ever brought since I first started playing in 5e, and nearly without fail, they are the unsung heroes of my army. I have wiped out full-strength MEQs on the charge with kroot in 5e, and melted monsters in 6e when they had sniper rounds. I digress. The kroot in this list are the second line, so to speak, behind the strike teams. They benefit from the Ethereals' sense of stone, which gives them slightly better staying power than a guardsman (rerollable 6+ against small arms fire, and a flat 6+ against anything with AP -2 or better), and with support from the shapers, their kroot rifles get rerolls to wound of 1, in addition to CC attacks. They also benefit from the Ethereal's LD, making them effective LD9. Having a shaper for each blob gives them mobility, so that they can maneuver without one blob losing its reroll.

NOTE: Kroot are amazing late game units. A list like this forces your opponent to choose between ignoring 48 fire warriors, or 40 kroot, when prioritizing his small arms fire. This guarantees in most (not all) cases, he will not have enough shots to cripple the entire force by late game, if you prioritize your return fire intelligently. There is always the option to use them as bubble wrap, as well.

Experimental Extras:

I have a missile pod commander as fire support and fulfilling the two-hq requirement for double battalions. The puretide chip gets me an average 1.5 free command points per game (not including opponent-generated rolls), which is helpful, given the new Markerlight Strategem from Chapter Approved. Nine command points with a 16.67% recovery rate allows for more liberal use. You can comfortably use two per game turn while having them last the game.

The vespid look good on paper, but I have not yet tried them. The last rendition of this list had two missile commanders and stealth suits, instead of vespids and Shadowsun. However, I can get eight vespid for four xv25s, and while xv25s can be a good harasser in their own respect, they're more points heavy than what my list can spare, without dismantling synergistic elements.
Unity is a rock against the tides of conflict.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 2679

Re: Tau "Horde" List for 2k Matched

Post#2 » Dec 24 2017 08:09

O'Shaska wrote:Strike Teams are the the frontline units of this sort of army. That may sound strange, to not use the kroot as bubble wrap, but there is a reason for this. Between pulse rifles now needing no worse than a 5+ to wound everything T9 and under, which is a nice buff, and their 4+ saves (3+ with cover), they can take a little more of a beating against small arms fire than kroot, while delivering more punishing firepower than ever before. This front line is supported by shadowsun, pathfinder markerlights, and the ethereals (sense of stone is a nice ability when you have a high model count).

If you want 8-point screening units, why not Gun Drones? The're more durable, have more overwatch power, and even have more ordinary firepower at 18" range.

O'Shaska wrote:Having used a unit of railsides, I find their firepower more than adequate for their cost, because they reliably delete vehicles and monsters in an edition where vehicles and monsters are supposed to have staying power. Support from Shadowsun, with her ability to call Kauyon twice, is instrumental in making this unit a terror, and given how many units fly (skimmers, flying monsters, etc.), the Velocity tracker makes them that much deadlier for pennies. I have considered the EWO, for the 12" deterrent bubble, but imho, this unit should really be screened by the rest of the army, enough so to make the EWO irrelevant.

Three Broadsides and Shadowsun using Kauyon is 10.5 wounds per turn on standard T7/Sv3+ targets for 722 points. That's a colossal points investment. Not to mention that Shadowsun's Fusion Blasters will be out of range, essentially none of her abilities will be relevant, and your other Commander could cast Kauyon once while staying fully relevant.

O'Shaska wrote:With support from the shapers, their kroot rifles get rerolls to wound of 1, in addition to CC attacks. They also benefit from the Ethereal's LD, making them effective LD9. Having a shaper for each blob gives them mobility, so that they can maneuver without one blob losing its reroll.

NOTE: Kroot are amazing late game units. A list like this forces your opponent to choose between ignoring 48 fire warriors, or 40 kroot, when prioritizing his small arms fire. This guarantees in most (not all) cases, he will not have enough shots to cripple the entire force by late game, if you prioritize your return fire intelligently. There is always the option to use them as bubble wrap, as well.

If you aren't up against T4 targets, Kroot do offer more firepower than Fire Warriors, however, if you're weighing the value of the supporting character, then the Fireblade + Fire Warrior combo offers superior damage at half range compared to the Kroot + Shaper combo. If you plan to charge often with the Kroot their damage surpasses that of the Fire Warriors, but simply as shooting units I don't think the Shaper's buff is worth making a Kroot gunline.

-

With all of this in mind, I like the idea of this list but you're spending almost a thousand points on very, very ineffectual anti-tank. If the enemy has a Land Raider or an Imperial Knight, you could fire for three turns straight at it and it would still be, statistically, standing. If it was a Questor Mechanicus Knight it could still be at its top damage bracket too. Meanwhile your opponent can fire back at Broadsides unprotected by drones.

Keep a similar infantry base, and replace your anti-tank with something more viable, and you have the start of a winning list.

Return to “Cadre Building”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests