First Tau army list - 2000 points

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
TerminusEst
Shas

First Tau army list - 2000 points

Post#1 » Jan 02 2018 04:08

Hi Everyone!

I have been really into tau recently, mostly because I love the models and I thought I would have a go at making an army list. I wanted it to be quite competitive and maybe even tournament standard.

Without further ado, here is the list:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [23 PL, 402pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander [6 PL, 160pts]: 4x Fusion blaster

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

+ Troops +[/b]

Strike Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [76 PL, 1593pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 160pts]:4x Fusion blaster

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 315pts]: 5x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Cyclic ion blaster

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 323pts]: 6x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Cyclic ion blaster

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 179pts]: 2x Flamer, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 179pts]: 2x Flamer, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

+ Fast Attack +

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [22 PL, 437pts]: Advanced targeting system, 2x MV52 Shield Drone, Target lock

++ Total: [99 PL, 1995pts] ++

I was planning to Manta strike each Commander with a Crisis team close to the enemy backlines whilst having the ghostkeels and y'vahra move up and the fire warriors staying back and being a small firing line.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: First Tau army list - 2000 points

Post#2 » Jan 02 2018 10:37

If you want to put together a competitive list, you should probably take fewer Ghostkeels and more Commanders. That's the sad truth of the current Index. However, assuming you want to keep to roughly these models, a few things probably need to change:

- The Commanders needs pairs of Shield Drones
- I recommend a CIB + ATS loadout over an all-CIB loadout for the XV8 units
- Get that 6th Gun Drone on the first XV8 unit
- The Fire Warriors should probably get a Markerlight in each unit
- Consider a unit of regular Shield Drones instead of the Y'vahra's unique MV52 Shield Drones

Here is your list with a few changes:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ CIR, 2x Flamers, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ CIR, 2x Flamers, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Ionic Discharge Cannon, Phased Plasma Flamer, Target Lock, ATS (415)
Fast Attack - 4x Shield Drones, 1x Marker Drone (42)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 2000 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

TerminusEst
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 03 2018 07:35

Thanks for replying!

I realise that having for commanders would be more competitive but it seems too spammy for me and I don't really want to shell out cash to buy them when they will probably get nerfed with the codex drop.

I do like the changes you made with the list, especially with adding the drones. However, with the CIB +ATS, does that not give a lower damage output against almost all units? But I am guessing you changed that for the lower point cost to fit everything else in.

I have a question regarding tactics as well, since I want Y'vahra as close as possible to enemies to use the flamer, will the drones be that useful since they will limit movement to 8 inches?

Thanks for your help!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jan 03 2018 08:10

TerminusEst wrote:With the CIB +ATS, does that not give a lower damage output against almost all units? But I am guessing you changed that for the lower point cost to fit everything else in.

This topic was discussed pretty extensively a few months ago, and the conclusion was that 2x CIB + ATS is just as good as 3x CIB, and is cheaper. Let's look at a few different units. Loadout 1 is 3x CIB, while Loadout 2 is 2x CIB + ATS.

Loadout 1 vs GEQ: 27 shots > 13.5 hits > 11.5 wounds > 9.3 unsaved > 9.3 damage
Loadout 2 vs GEQ: 18 shots > 9 hits > 7.5 wounds > 7.5 unsaved > 7.5 damage

Loadout 1 vs MEQ: 27 shots > 13.5 hits > 9 wounds > 4.5 unsaved > 4.5 damage
Loadout 2 vs MEQ: 18 shots > 9 hits > 6 wounds > 4 unsaved > 4 damage

Loadout 1 vs Primaris: ~18 shots > 9 hits > 7.5 wounds > 3.75 unsaved > 7.5 damage
Loadout 2 vs Primaris: ~12 shots > 6 hits > 5 wounds > 3.34 unsaved > 6.7 damage

Loadout 1 vs TEQ: ~18 shots > 9 hits > 7.5 wounds > 2.5 unsaved > 5 damage
Loadout 2 vs TEQ: ~12 shots > 6 hits > 5 wounds > 2.5 unsaved > 5 damage

Loadout 1 vs Rhino: ~18 shots > 9 hits > 6 wounds > 3 unsaved > 6 damage
Loadout 2 vs Rhino: ~12 shots > 6 hits > 4 wounds > 2.67 unsaved > 5.34 damage

We can see that the 3x CIB build is in fact fractionally stronger- but it also costs 30 points more for the full squad. With those 30 points in mind, the 2x CIB + ATS build is better, since you can spend those 30 points elsewhere, and the unit is more protected against the CIBs overheating too.

Note that the 3x CIB build is, in fact, a bit better against ordinary Guardsmen, but CIBs are not the right weapon in this situaton anyway.

TerminusEst wrote:I have a question regarding tactics as well, since I want Y'vahra as close as possible to enemies to use the flamer, will the drones be that useful since they will limit movement to 8 inches?

The Shield Drones are all about denying alpha strike. Four Shield Drones can absorb a huge amount of firepower, 29 Lascannon shots or 36 Heavy Bolter shots. The Shield Drones may or may not die to enemy alpha strike, but as long as they survive the Y'vahra can dash forward on your turn and ravage enemy units. If you need more drones to shore up the Y'vahra's defenses later in the game, feel free to drop in your XV8s nearby so that the Y'vahra can use their Gun Drones as ablative wounds.
Last edited by Arka0415 on Jan 04 2018 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 04 2018 05:54

Arka0415 wrote:
TerminusEst wrote:With the CIB +ATS, does that not give a lower damage output against almost all units? But I am guessing you changed that for the lower point cost to fit everything else in.

This topic was discussed pretty extensively a few months ago, and the conclusion was that 2x CIB + ATS is just as good as 3x CIB, and is cheaper. Let's look at a few different units. Loadout 1 is 2x CIB + ATS, while Loadout 2 is 3x CIB.

Loadout 1 vs GEQ: 27 shots > 13.5 hits > 11.5 wounds > 9.3 unsaved > 9.3 damage
Loadout 2 vs GEQ: 18 shots > 9 hits > 7.5 wounds > 7.5 unsaved > 7.5 damage

Loadout 1 vs MEQ: 27 shots > 13.5 hits > 9 wounds > 4.5 unsaved > 4.5 damage
Loadout 2 vs MEQ: 18 shots > 9 hits > 6 wounds > 4 unsaved > 4 damage

Loadout 1 vs Primaris: ~18 shots > 9 hits > 7.5 wounds > 3.75 unsaved > 7.5 damage
Loadout 2 vs Primaris: ~12 shots > 6 hits > 5 wounds > 3.34 unsaved > 6.7 damage

Loadout 1 vs TEQ: ~18 shots > 9 hits > 7.5 wounds > 2.5 unsaved > 5 damage
Loadout 2 vs TEQ: ~12 shots > 6 hits > 5 wounds > 2.5 unsaved > 5 damage

Loadout 1 vs Rhino: ~18 shots > 9 hits > 6 wounds > 3 unsaved > 6 damage
Loadout 2 vs Rhino: ~12 shots > 6 hits > 4 wounds > 2.67 unsaved > 5.34 damage

We can see that the 3x CIB build is in fact fractionally stronger- but it also costs 30 points more for the full squad. With those 30 points in mind, the 2x CIB + ATS build is better, since you can spend those 30 points elsewhere, and the unit is more protected against the CIBs overheating too.

Note that the 3x CIB build is, in fact, a bit better against ordinary Guardsmen, but CIBs are not the right weapon in this situaton anyway.

TerminusEst wrote:I have a question regarding tactics as well, since I want Y'vahra as close as possible to enemies to use the flamer, will the drones be that useful since they will limit movement to 8 inches?

The Shield Drones are all about denying alpha strike. Four Shield Drones can absorb a huge amount of firepower, 29 Lascannon shots or 36 Heavy Bolter shots. The Shield Drones may or may not die to enemy alpha strike, but as long as they survive the Y'vahra can dash forward on your turn and ravage enemy units. If you need more drones to shore up the Y'vahra's defenses later in the game, feel free to drop in your XV8s nearby so that the Y'vahra can use their Gun Drones as ablative wounds.

Psstt.. you mean loadout 1 is 3x CIB and loadout2 is 2x CIB +ATS? :)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jan 04 2018 05:59

StealthKnightSteg wrote:Psstt.. you mean loadout 1 is 3x CIB and loadout2 is 2x CIB +ATS? :)

Thanks, fixed!

Return to “Cadre Building”