Getting started with 40k

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
papanebo
Shas

Getting started with 40k

Post#1 » Jan 03 2018 04:09

Hello everybody!

I’m a new 40K player, having only played a few games some 12 years ago in a friend’s garage, and 1 game of 8th during a “learn to play” at my LGS.

I really have only played T’au (was the army my friend let me borrow in his garage) and love the whole look and feel of the army. I’ve been theory crafting lists for a few weeks and am excited to dive in head first and start building models. I just made my first purchase of the “Start Collecting” box, and don’t have more than that in my collection.

What I’m trying to accomplish? I want to build a Farsight Enclave list that grows with me as I learn and play. Staff at my LGS inform me that games at less than 1000 points are few and far between, so I figure that’s a good point to start. I want the list to be fluffy, but not to the point of uselessness (winning is fun). Static gun lines really don’t fit my play style, and I really want Farsight in the list.

I’ve done some research and have put together a 1000 point list I’m planning on buying and building, but I’m not sure if the direction I’m going makes any sense. So I figured I’d post the list up and let the experts here share some knowledge with me and guide me in the right direction.

Here’s what I’ve put together and how I plan on playing it.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [59 PL, 1000pts] ++

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

+ HQ +

Commander [7 PL, 163pts]: 3x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone, Shield generator

Commander Farsight [8 PL, 151pts]

+ Troops +

Breacher Team [5 PL, 48pts]: 5x Fire Warrior, Fire Warrior Shas'ui

Breacher Team [5 PL, 48pts]: 5x Fire Warrior, Fire Warrior Shas'ui

Strike Team [3 PL, 43pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish [7 PL, 127pts]: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Bodyguards [14 PL, 245pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone
. Crisis Bodyguard: Advanced targeting system, 2x Flamer

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 135pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 2x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Burst cannon, Drone controller

++ Total: [59 PL, 1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

There are two main attacking components to the list: Farsight and the Breachers. They both like getting up and personal with the enemy, and need support to do so.

Farsight, well, he needs help. He doesn’t really like swarms, and doesn’t like getting melta’d in the face. I think Bodyguards help with both of these things. These guys will be homing beacon’d up and close to whatever Farsight has his eyes on assaulting.

The few games I played back 12 years ago involved “Fish of Fury” tactics, so Devilfish make me happy. The Devilfish makes it difficult for the breachers to get assaulted, and allows the team to zip around where they are needed. Man, how I’ve tried to fit Darkstrider in this list, but the fluff of it just makes me twitch. I’ve also considered drones and a fireblade here, and have gone back and forth many times.

The rest of the army plays support roles. Pathfinders and the marker drones provide markerlights. Strike team can hold an objective, carry a markerlight, and help pay Command Point tax (rerolls are super fun). Stealth suits deliver Farsight’s caretakers, and help the drones hit stuff. Oh, and there’s the Fusion Commander, for blowing up big stuff.

Thanks in advance for any input or direction you can provide!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Getting started with 40k

Post#2 » Jan 03 2018 08:45

Looks like a very good start to a list. Personally I'm not a fan of Breachers and Flamers, but there's no denying they're not good units. However, I don't see the role of Farsight in this list. If he uses the Homing Beacon to get into combat the Flamer XV8s can't use it to fire their Flamers, and vice versa. If I were you, I would combo the Flamer XV8s (not as Bodyguards) with the Stealthsuits, and Manta Strike in Farsight behind them. This way Farsight is a melee deterrent on turn one and a melee threat on turn two and onward. In this sort of build though you can probably skip the Markerlights entirely and make up for them with Multi-Trackers on key units.

-

HQ - Commander Farsight (151)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Fusion Blasters, Multi-Tracker; 2x Shield Drones (157)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Breachers (48)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors (48)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Flamers, 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 6x Gun Drones (282)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & Multi-Tracker, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (139)

Total: 1000 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

It feels a bit 'budget' but it just might work. What do you think?

papanebo
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 10 2018 10:39

Thanks for your reply Arka!

I really like your suggestions of forgoing the markerlights, they seem to unfocus the list. “Budget” seems like a bad word :sad: A question regarding the CIB on the Crisis, is it worth the points over the third Flamer? I’m going to continue building including the changes you suggested.

To be honest, what I really want to do is make Farsight work. I’ve learned quite a bit around the ATT forums, but not much about Farsight. I’m not sure if he’s even viable without a codex right now (on paper atleast). Maybe it’s a points issue? The lists I end up liking are always around 1500 or so, and usually just add another homing beacon and QFC.

If you, or anyone else, were to build a list around Farsight at 1000 points, what would you do?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jan 11 2018 12:18

papanebo wrote:I really like your suggestions of forgoing the markerlights, they seem to unfocus the list. “Budget” seems like a bad word :sad: A question regarding the CIB on the Crisis, is it worth the points over the third Flamer? I’m going to continue building including the changes you suggested.

I say "budget" because it's a no-Markerlight list. With Flamers, BS2+, and melee, the need for Markerlights is pretty low. However, making up for the lack of Markerlights by adding Multi-Trackers isn't all that efficient mathematically-speaking, although it is safer. The reason I added the CIBs is because there's a chance your opponent kills the Stealthsuits, and we'd prefer the XV8s not to be impotent on their first turn. We can do Fusion Blasters instead if you're looking for more anti-tank.

papanebo wrote:To be honest, what I really want to do is make Farsight work. I’ve learned quite a bit around the ATT forums, but not much about Farsight. I’m not sure if he’s even viable without a codex right now (on paper atleast). Maybe it’s a points issue? The lists I end up liking are always around 1500 or so, and usually just add another homing beacon and QFC.

If you, or anyone else, were to build a list around Farsight at 1000 points, what would you do?

If you want to make a Farsight list, what I'd do is drop all the infantry, all the vehicles, and just go for battlesuits and Pathfinders. However, the issue is, Farsight is- not to be overly negative- not all that viable. He doesn't have any meaningful buffs, can't take drones, carries only a single weapon, and isn't even all that powerful in melee. If you want to add him, it'd be as melee deterrent via Heroic Intervention I guess.

For a Farsight-centric list you'd take Farsight, a Fusion Commander, a squad of short-ranged (but non-Flamer) XV8s, and a squad of Stealthsuits with a Homing Beacon for the "Farsight Bomb" alpha strike. Here's what the list might look like:

-

HQ - Commander Farsight (151)
HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (131)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Cyclic Ion Blasters, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS (181)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)

Total: 993 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

The points aren't quite full but you should get the idea. The Ghostkeel, Stealthsuits, and Pathfinders provide the ground support. On your turn you drop in the XV8s and both Commanders, which should give you a huge amount of firepower. If you feel that it's tactically feasible to pull of a charge with Farsight, use the Stealthsuits' Homing Beacon. Once turn 1 is finished and you've done a lot of damage, on turn 2 you use Farsight's Mont'ka ability and advance everything, ready to do all the damage again.

Be careful when you charge with Farsight though- he can do decent damage in melee, but once he charges he's alone.

Does that make sense?

Return to “Cadre Building”