Expanding from start collecting

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Sean_da_sheep
Shas

Expanding from start collecting

Post#1 » Jan 03 2018 04:31

Hi, I'm a new player and I am looking where next to expand my army.

My army currently consists of the following:
1X Ethereal
10X Fire Warriors ( Breacher team)
10X Pathfinders
3X Crisis Battlesuits w/ Fusion blasters, missile pods & Counterfire defense systems
1X TY7 devilfish
15X assorted drones (including support turret and recon drone)
1X TX4 piranha w/ Fusion blasters

I have recently been looking for ways to bolster my army but, being new to 40k, I am not sure what is best for combat.
Any help on the subject would be most appreciated and help me to stick it to our Imperium enemies for the Greater Good. Thanks.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Expanding from start collecting

Post#2 » Jan 03 2018 05:20

Hello and welcome. you have a pretty good start. Right now drones and commanders are the most competitive choices. When we get our codex it's anybody's guess what will be the best. In light of that I would recommend a commander and another unit of troops (not kroot) so you can get up to a battalion. You'll always want the command points but maybe not a model that got nerfed hard. It's important as you build your force to get some games in so you get a feel for what holes you need to fill for your play style.

Mainly though I would just highly recommend magnetizing your suits. I'm assuming you glued yours on since you said you had a specific loadout on them.

Some units I like that could find a nice place in your army pending playstyle
Coldstar Commander
Commander with 4X Fusion Blasters
Cadre Fireblade
Strike Teams
Breachers
Drones of any variety
Stealth Suits (In moderation)
Crisis Suits with Flamers
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jan 03 2018 08:04

Draaen wrote:Hello and welcome. you have a pretty good start. Right now drones and commanders are the most competitive choices. When we get our codex it's anybody's guess what will be the best. In light of that I would recommend a commander and another unit of troops (not kroot) so you can get up to a battalion. You'll always want the command points but maybe not a model that got nerfed hard. It's important as you build your force to get some games in so you get a feel for what holes you need to fill for your play style.

Mainly though I would just highly recommend magnetizing your suits. I'm assuming you glued yours on since you said you had a specific loadout on them.

Some units I like that could find a nice place in your army pending playstyle
Coldstar Commander
Commander with 4X Fusion Blasters
Cadre Fireblade
Strike Teams
Breachers
Drones of any variety
Stealth Suits (In moderation)
Crisis Suits with Flamers

Sean_da_sheep, Draeen is absolutely right for recommended units. Focus on battlesuits and infantry- Fire Warriors, Commanders, XV8s, Gun Drones, and Stealthsuits are all great picks. Magnetizing is also key- with our Codex possibly coming out soon, the ideal loadouts for battlesuits may change.

Sean_da_sheep
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 05 2018 08:11

Thanks guys this is very helpful for me. I'll google how to magnetize when I get a new set of Crisis Battlesuits (yes, I did glue them) but I think my friends are fine to let me proxy my weapons in games for now.

Rayscarnage
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 05 2018 08:54

If you are to buy other another set of crisis, i would recommend the get starting kit. You save a lot of money for the strike/breacher team. Also, I know the ethereal isnt really loved but I usually put one with my pathfinder to help the marker light get started or for the fnp 6+ because they are often targeted first.

Lore
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 05 2018 06:45

I'm new to Tau too,
I started with Starter box (strike not breach), Commander suit & box of pathfinders
Next I'm going for another starter box to boost my xv-8s, Add some breachers and sell the ethereal on e-bay, after that I'll probably do the same again. That will give me 2HQ, 3 troops, 2 Elites (6/3) and 2 Fast (5/5 pathfinder squads); I think that's an OK Battalion to begin with.
Its a long way to a Brigade form there though, also by then I'm hoping to add a couple of pathfinders & fire warrior torsos to boost strike team to 12. Why do they give us enough bits to make 12 figs apart for 2 torsos?

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 05 2018 11:23

All of the above is good. I might go for:
Stealth Team
Pathfinders
Commander (I prefer the 4x fusion variant, but tastes differ)
Get Started!
Cadre Fireblade

And play around from there. If you really like your breachers (I know I do!) consider in investing in a Devilfish for them to get where you want more quickly.

EDIT: They give us all those extra bits so we can customize and model them how we like! (And so we buy more models, but that's a reason for everything they do)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jan 05 2018 11:54

Lore wrote:Why do they give us enough bits to make 12 figs apart for 2 torsos?

It's just so you have extra parts for customization. If you can find a few more torsos though, free Fire Warriors!

Return to “Cadre Building”