Getting Started Build List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Nitrogue
Shas

Re: Getting Started Build List

Post#19 » Jan 11 2018 11:18

Thanks for the info Comms.

With the XV8 loadouts, going for the suggested 4 fusion blasters, 2 missle pods, 2 flamers and a drone controller. Was thinking of sticking the controller and two of te blasters on the shas'vre and then evenly splitting the other weapons between the other two. Or would it be better to have the shas'vre with the controller and the two missle pods, one of the shas'ui with the 2 flamers and a blaster, and the other with 3 blasters? Not a big issue as looking at blu-tacing the hardpoints whilst i order a pin vice and some magnets (any suggestions on either?).

On the topic for the controller, i am right in saying its the option which is a hemi-sphere with an antenna on the shoulder?

GARBLED_COMMS
Shas

Post#20 » Jan 11 2018 12:00

I think that's the traditional drone controller bit. Nowadays the rules don't really care what part represents a certain subsystem. Just make sure it's consistent across your suits, and you let your opponent know what's what.

As for magnets, I get them from K&J Magnetics, but you can get cheaper lots off of ebay. K&J has really high quality N52 ones though. For me in the US it's about 10 cents a magnet and 5 bucks shipping, not sure where you are.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Jan 11 2018 06:51

Nitrogue wrote:With the XV8 loadouts, going for the suggested 4 fusion blasters, 2 missle pods, 2 flamers and a drone controller.

Remember, this loadout is just stacking as many anti-tank weapons as possible while maximizing Fusion Blasters and staying under 330 points.

Nitrogue wrote:Was thinking of sticking the controller and two of te blasters on the shas'vre and then evenly splitting the other weapons between the other two.

Remember that the Gun Drones will die first, since you'll sacrifice them to keep the battlesuits alive. Once the Gun Drones are dead you'll have no use for the Drone Controller, so put it on the XV8 who will die first. Also, the Flamers are really just an assault countermeasure, so they're not too important. I'd do this:

XV8 Shas'ui w/ 2x Flamers, Drone Controller
XV8 Shas'ui w/ 2x Fusion Blasters, Missile Pod
XV8 Shas'vre w/ 2x Fusion Blasters, Missile Pod

Nitrogue wrote:On the topic for the controller, i am right in saying its the option which is a hemi-sphere with an antenna on the shoulder?

The Drone Controller is the hemisphere with the antenna, and only comes in the Stealthsuit set. Because it's so small it may look silly on XV8s, so you may want to convert a larger one of your own.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#22 » Jan 12 2018 04:00

Arka0415 wrote:Remember, this loadout is just stacking as many anti-tank weapons as possible while maximizing Fusion Blasters and staying under 330 points.

To be honest, not sure what makes good weapons for particular classes. Im guessing anti-tank is high wound high ap and light infantry/mass units are low wound but a high number of them. Not too worried about points at the moment, have a limit of 500 pts for the first 2 weeks.

Arka0415 wrote:Remember that the Gun Drones will die first, since you'll sacrifice them to keep the battlesuits alive. Once the Gun Drones are dead you'll have no use for the Drone Controller, so put it on the XV8 who will die first. Also, the Flamers are really just an assault countermeasure, so they're not too important. I'd do this:

XV8 Shas'ui w/ 2x Flamers, Drone Controller
XV8 Shas'ui w/ 2x Fusion Blasters, Missile Pod
XV8 Shas'vre w/ 2x Fusion Blasters, Missile Pod
good points there, suppose that will be the advantage of blu-taccing, later magnets is that i can trial set ups without worry of getting stuck with a bad one.

Arka0415 wrote:The Drone Controller is the hemisphere with the antenna, and only comes in the Stealthsuit set. Because it's so small it may look silly on XV8s, so you may want to convert a larger one of your own.

Well thats annoying. Why advertise that a unit has access to a bit of kit and then not give the kit? I think the set comes with 4 standard options for the shoulder hardpoint, missle pod and the multi tracker (decahedron with blobs on its faces), but wasn't sure what the others were. Guessing might find out when the codex comes out, but now probably going to pick one that looks nice (probably a big antenna) and tac it in (again yay for psuedo-magnets) :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Jan 12 2018 04:41

Nitrogue wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:Remember, this loadout is just stacking as many anti-tank weapons as possible while maximizing Fusion Blasters and staying under 330 points.

To be honest, not sure what makes good weapons for particular classes. Im guessing anti-tank is high wound high ap and light infantry/mass units are low wound but a high number of them. Not too worried about points at the moment, have a limit of 500 pts for the first 2 weeks.

If you see anything S7 or higher, with at least AP-1 and D3 damage, it's anti-tank. Sometimes you can get away with S6 anti-tank as long as the AP is really good but it's rare. Optimal anti-tank weapons are at least S8, AP-2, and D6 damage, the closest we have to that is the mighty Fusion Blaster.

Your limit of 500 points is the reason why I picked 330 for the price of the suits, since the rest of your list (Fire Warriors, Ethereal, and Turret) cost 167 points, the list would stay under 500.

Nitrogue wrote:good points there, suppose that will be the advantage of blu-taccing, later magnets is that i can trial set ups without worry of getting stuck with a bad one.

Exactly. Many players from past editions may have used the common "Fireknife" loadout (Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod) for years, but anyone who glued their Fireknife together would regret it as that loadout is useless now. As the editions, rules, and meta change over time, it's good to be adaptable- that's what Tau are all about! :D

Nitrogue wrote:Well thats annoying. Why advertise that a unit has access to a bit of kit and then not give the kit? I think the set comes with 4 standard options for the shoulder hardpoint, missle pod and the multi tracker (decahedron with blobs on its faces), but wasn't sure what the others were. Guessing might find out when the codex comes out, but now probably going to pick one that looks nice (probably a big antenna) and tac it in (again yay for psuedo-magnets) :D

Odd isn't it? The issue is, the Drone Controller used to be "hard-wired", equipped on the model but not taking up a hardpoint (and thus not represented on the model). Now it's an actual piece of wargear, which means it needs representation.

I'm working on conversions for a pair of Drone Controllers right now actually, they should be done this weekend and I can post pictures.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#24 » Jan 12 2018 05:17

Arka0415 wrote:If you see anything S7 or higher, with at least AP-1 and D3 damage, it's anti-tank. Sometimes you can get away with S6 anti-tank as long as the AP is really good but it's rare. Optimal anti-tank weapons are at least S8, AP-2, and D6 damage, the closest we have to that is the mighty Fusion Blaster.

good to know, suppose the nice thing about anti-tank weapons is if you need to you can go overkill on infantry, but you cant exactly use anti-infantry on a tank.

Arka0415 wrote:Your limit of 500 points is the reason why I picked 330 for the price of the suits, since the rest of your list (Fire Warriors, Ethereal, and Turret) cost 167 points, the list would stay under 500.

ok, that was a derp on my part, was thinking the 330 was for the whole set. 497 sounds more reasonable.

Arka0415 wrote:Odd isn't it? The issue is, the Drone Controller used to be "hard-wired", equipped on the model but not taking up a hardpoint (and thus not represented on the model). Now it's an actual piece of wargear, which means it needs representation.
yeah it is odd, its almost as if GW wants you to buy their big fancy sets to get the bits you want

Arka0415 wrote:I'm working on conversions for a pair of Drone Controllers right now actually, they should be done this weekend and I can post pictures.

those would be cool to see

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » Jan 12 2018 05:38

Nitrogue wrote:good to know, suppose the nice thing about anti-tank weapons is if you need to you can go overkill on infantry, but you cant exactly use anti-infantry on a tank.

Yup! And that's what makes the Cyclic Ion Blaster so powerful, as it really is good at doing both.

Nitrogue wrote:yeah it is odd, its almost as if GW wants you to buy their big fancy sets to get the bits you want

Except, there's no properly-sized Drone Controller bit at all! It'd be like if Dreadnoughts could take a Power Fist but the only available one was the Tactical Marine-sized one :D

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#26 » Jan 12 2018 07:56

slight moment of panic here.

can the shas'ui for the fire warrior teams be fitted with a rifle and a marker light, or does it have to be a carbine as shown in the instructions. don't have the index to hand to check right now.

also guessing said markerlight is the bit being fitted to the top of the carbine in the instructions. (sort of like a long pair of binoculars, even longer set for the ML drones)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Jan 12 2018 08:20

Nitrogue wrote:can the shas'ui for the fire warrior teams be fitted with a rifle and a marker light, or does it have to be a carbine as shown in the instructions. don't have the index to hand to check right now.

The Fire Warrior Shas'ui may put his Markerlight on top of any weapon- the Pulse Rifle, Pulse Carbine, Pulse Blaster, or if you're really clever you could put it on top of the Pulse Pistol! :D

Nitrogue wrote:also guessing said markerlight is the bit being fitted to the top of the carbine in the instructions. (sort of like a long pair of binoculars, even longer set for the ML drones)

Yup- you just place the Markerlight in front of the scope, making the scope look extra long.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#28 » Jan 12 2018 08:41

phew, had a sudden panic that it could only go on the carbine, and now it was too late as the shas'ui was assembled.

Might try a marker light pistol on my next shas'ui, or at least model it. would be amusing to see.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#29 » Jan 12 2018 11:33

may have noticed a slight flaw in the fire warriors. The set up you had has 2 gun drones with one bunch, and 1 gun drone and the support turret in the other, but the starter set only has bits for 2 drones, unless I'm mistaken and missing a sprue.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#30 » Jan 12 2018 05:24

other slight problem is that don't have pieces for 6 gun drones for the XV8s. So going to pinch the 2 from the fire warrior team and give them two marker lights instead, make the three gun drones that i can and make a shield drone. So i get 5 gun drones hovering around the XV8 with the drone controller should be fine.

On a side note, can you use the benefits of a markerlight to get more markerlights to hit? I'm thinking of the first benefit of MLs that allow you to reroll 1s to hit throws, which would help later MLs to hit. Unless I'm missing something. On a different note, at this stage would be aiming to get just one on a unit (out of 4), though getting three to allow a bit of movement would be useful but improbable

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#31 » Jan 12 2018 09:35

Nitrogue wrote:may have noticed a slight flaw in the fire warriors. The set up you had has 2 gun drones with one bunch, and 1 gun drone and the support turret in the other, but the starter set only has bits for 2 drones, unless I'm mistaken and missing a sprue.

The Fire Warrior loadout I suggested was this, which only contains two drones:

Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight; 2x Gun Drones (59)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight; Support Turret w/ Smart Missile System (63)

Nitrogue wrote:other slight problem is that don't have pieces for 6 gun drones for the XV8s. So going to pinch the 2 from the fire warrior team and give them two marker lights instead, make the three gun drones that i can and make a shield drone. So i get 5 gun drones hovering around the XV8 with the drone controller should be fine.

Sure, that sounds like a good idea. Make sure to add a 6th drone to the XV8s' accompanying drone team though, a Shield Drone should work.

Nitrogue wrote:On a side note, can you use the benefits of a markerlight to get more markerlights to hit? I'm thinking of the first benefit of MLs that allow you to reroll 1s to hit throws, which would help later MLs to hit. Unless I'm missing something. On a different note, at this stage would be aiming to get just one on a unit (out of 4), though getting three to allow a bit of movement would be useful but improbable

Yeah, Markerlight hits benefit successive Markerlight hits! So always roll them one-by-one. For you, you'll have 4 Markerlights on the battlefield, and you only need 1 hit, on the XV8s' target.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#32 » Jan 13 2018 08:49

cheers for that, don't know why i thought there was an extra drone with ST 2.

Will just need to check whether the new drones take me over the limit.

Nice about the markerlights, will be useful when i get a pathfinder team or two so i would have an extra 10 red dots of death.

Return to “Cadre Building”