New Player Army List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Minty
Shas

New Player Army List

Post#1 » Jan 10 2018 01:43

Hi everyone!

I'm a pretty new Tau player, I haven't played any games yet but I [i]do [i]have some sets already(All unassembled), and with a birthday coming up I can get some new sets as well. The sets I have so far are:

Coalition Command:
1 Commander
1 Ethereal
1 Drone

I also managed to get my hands on one of the old sets, Infiltration Cadre: Burning Dawn
1 Ethereal
10 Pathfinders
3 Stealth Suits
1 Piranha

I was wondering if you guys could help me come up with a good army that's fun to play, yet powerful. Also, I'd like some tips on what I should get next to expand my army. Thanks!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: New Player Army List

Post#2 » Jan 10 2018 03:12

Minty wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm a pretty new Tau player, I haven't played any games yet but I [i]do [i]have some sets already(All unassembled), and with a birthday coming up I can get some new sets as well. The sets I have so far are:

Coalition Command:
1 Commander
1 Ethereal
1 Drone

I also managed to get my hands on one of the old sets, Infiltration Cadre: Burning Dawn
1 Ethereal
10 Pathfinders
3 Stealth Suits
1 Piranha

I was wondering if you guys could help me come up with a good army that's fun to play, yet powerful. Also, I'd like some tips on what I should get next to expand my army. Thanks!

Welcome to ATT!! Looks like you have some solid models already- Commanders, Pathfinders, and Stealthsuits are good units. Ethereals not so much, but we don't need to add them. The one issue is that you don't have many drones, which are one of the Tau star units.

At the moment, Tau work best as a close-range army, using short-range weapons to take down big targets. Here's an idea for a small, simple list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Cyclic Ion Blasters; 2x Gun Drones (164)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, 3x ATS (114)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (81)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights; 2x Gun Drones, 1x Recon Drone (68)

Total: 495 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment)

-

To use this list, deploy the Commander in Manta Strike reserve, and deploy the Pathfinders in cover. The Stealthsuits should infiltrate into cover, closer to the enemy. You can use the Stealthsuits and Ion Rifle Pathfinders to shoot at medium infantry, while the Piranha and Pathfinders can take on light infantry, even in cover. The Commander can choose a shooting profile depending on the target- S7 for light infantry and S8 for heavy infantry and vehicles.

The Ion Rifle Pathfinder squad has two Markerlights- use these to shoot a priority target before the Commander shoots it. This will let the Commander re-roll ones to hit, increasing its accuracy from 83% to 97%. Also, use the Uplinked Markerlight stratagem on the first turn to add D3 Markerlight hits to the priority target, allowing you to fire the Piranha's Seeker Missiles at it as well.

Does that all make sense?

By the way, for things to get next- right now there are two great sets available that give you a lot of models for a relatively low price. The Rapid Insertion Cadre (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Bf ... Cadre-2017) can give you a lot of drones and battlesuits, while the cheaper Start Collecting set (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Bf ... Cadre-2017) gives you fewer battlesuits but more infantry. The Rapid Insertion Cadre is a better deal, and gives you more models, so it's probably the best way to expand your army at the moment!

Minty
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 10 2018 03:47

Hi Arka!

Thanks for the tips! By the way, if I were to upgrade to a 1000 point list, what units would you think would cost-efficient (points wise) for their roles? Hoping to achieve a flexible army that's great against units like space marines and chaos marines/daemons, as a lot of people play those. Thanks again!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re:

Post#4 » Jan 10 2018 04:22

Minty wrote:Hi Arka!

Thanks for the tips! By the way, if I were to upgrade to a 1000 point list, what units would you think would cost-efficient (points wise) for their roles? Hoping to achieve a flexible army that's great against units like space marines and chaos marines/daemons, as a lot of people play those. Thanks again!

Hi! Your current collection is viable, but it's a little unbalanced- too many light units (Pathfinders and the Piranha) and not enough heavy hitters. To upgrade to a 1000-point list you'll probably shed a few units (probably the Piranha and the Pathfinders' drones) before you add more. For example, if you picked up the Rapid Insertion Cadre set, you could make the following solid 1000-point list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)

Total: 996 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment)

-

That should be a fun, battlesuit-heavy list. And, with the extra units in your collection with the Rapid Insertion Cadre, we could work backwards and make a solid 500-point list too!

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Gun Drones (176)

Total: 501 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment)

-

Maybe something like that? Essentially, it gives you a lot of options to work with, both in larger games and working backwards into smaller games.

What do you think?

Minty
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 10 2018 04:30

Hi! Your current collection is viable, but it's a little unbalanced- too many light units (Pathfinders and the Piranha) and not enough heavy hitters. To upgrade to a 1000-point list you'll probably shed a few units (probably the Piranha and the Pathfinders' drones) before you add more. For example, if you picked up the Rapid Insertion Cadre set, you could make the following solid 1000-point list:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)

Total: 996 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment)

-

That should be a fun, battlesuit-heavy list. And, with the extra units in your collection with the Rapid Insertion Cadre, we could work backwards and make a solid 500-point list too!

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Gun Drones (176)

Total: 501 - Command Points: 4 (1 Outrider Detachment)

-

Maybe something like that? Essentially, it gives you a lot of options to work with, both in larger games and working backwards into smaller games.

What do you think?

I think the lists looks great! Thanks!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re:

Post#6 » Jan 10 2018 04:54

Minty wrote:I think the lists looks great! Thanks!

They both should be straightforward to use. Once you're more accustomed to playing Tau, consider trying an all-Commander/Drone list at 500 too. You'll have enough drones to make it work.

Return to “Cadre Building”