Farsight list- highly aggressive

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Matt
Shas

Farsight list- highly aggressive

Post#1 » Jan 11 2018 04:35

So the plan with this list is to essentially just smash my way into a single flank of the opponent, and then do my best to roll up their line. The two y’vahras will obviously form the vanguard, with the pathfinders and drones lighting up whoever they’re targeting. The plan is to manta drop the XV8s close enough to give them shield drone protection at the end of my first turn, and use the distraction that they provide to use the stealth suits and commanders to pounce on anything isolated and vulnerable. If I haven’t eliminated most of their army by turn 3 or so, i’ll be in trouble :D

Edit: definitely looking for feedback. Has anybody run a list like this? This is my first Tau list, so I might be biting off more than I can chew.

Here goes:

+++ Farsight Enclave (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [109 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Commander Farsight
. Categories: Battlesuit, Character, Farsight Enclaves, Fly, HQ, Jet Pack, Legendary Unit, T'au Empire, Commander

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team: MB3 Recon Drone, MV4 Shield Drone
. Categories: Fast Attack, Infantry, , T'au Empire
. 9x Pathfinder: 9x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, 2x MV52 Shield Drone, Target lock
. Categories: , T'au Empire, Fast Attack, Battlesuit, Monster, Jet Pack, Fly

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, 2x MV52 Shield Drone, Target lock

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon
. Categories: , T'au Empire, Transport, Dedicated Transport, Vehicle, Fly

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit: High-output burst cannon, Missile pod
. Categories: , Battlesuit, Character, Fly, Jet Pack, HQ, T'au Empire, Legendary Unit

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. Categories: , Battlesuit, Elites, Fly, Infantry, Jet Pack, T'au Empire
. 5x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 5x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Fusion blaster
. . Markerlight + Target Lock: Markerlight, Target lock

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Categories: , Battlesuit, Elites, Fly, Jet Pack, T'au Empire
. Crisis Shas'ui: Cyclic ion blaster, Flamer
. Crisis Shas'vre: Fusion blaster

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit: 2x Flamer, Advanced targeting system, Fusion collider, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Stimulant injector
. Categories: Elites, Fly, , Battlesuit, Jet Pack, T'au Empire, Monster, Drone

Created with BattleScribe

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Re: Farsight list- highly aggressive

Post#2 » Jan 11 2018 07:47

Hey Matt! Welcome to ATT and to tau :)

Matt wrote:Edit: definitely looking for feedback. Has anybody run a list like this? This is my first Tau list, so I might be biting off more than I can chew.

Few things about the list off the bat;

Farsight isn't really seen as a competitive option unfortunately- he only really should be included if you need the second mont'ka activation (I love the model, and it makes me sad I don't use him)

The coldstar commander and the crisis team aren't using all of their hard points- give the commander an ATS and shield gen, and arm those suits to the teeth! Cyclic ion and fusion on a crisis suit seems like a split of battlefield responsibility, and they're better suited to being armed for one job. I'd give them 2xCIB + ATS, but there's an arguement for 8 CIB and drone controller being a better build.

I would split the stealth suits into two squads to save you from morale and let them operate independently, plus more drones!

There isn't much reliable anti armour kicking about the list, so I would go for the dull but reliable quad fusion commander. BS2+ has to be abused while we're an index army.

My final point is the Y'vahras could probably use some drone friends to deploy near them at the start, otherwise your opponent could wipe them off the board before they get a chance to set everything on fire!

I've written up a slightly altered list, it's probably not super competitive but I reckon it'd be fun to play!

HQ- Commander w/ 4x fusion blasters, 2x shield drones (176)
HQ- Coldstar Commander w/ high-output burst cannon, missile pod, ATS, shield generator (150)
HQ- Cadre Fireblade w/ markerlight (42)
Elites- Stealth Team- 2 w/o support system, shas'vre w/ fusion blaster, 2x gun drones, homing beacon (137)
Elites- Stealth Team- 2 w/o support system, shas'vre w/ drone controller, 2x gun drones, homing beacon (131)
Elites- Crisis Team w/ 6x CIB, 3x ATS, 4x gun drones, 2x shield drones (306)
Fast Attack- 5x Pathfinders (40)
Fast Attack- 5x Pathfinders (40)
Fast Attack- 4x shield drones (32)
Fast Attack- Y'vahra w/ ATS, target lock (415)
Fast Attack- Y'vahra w/ ATS, target lock (415)

Total: 1996 points, 6 command points (2 outrider, 1 vanguard)

What do you think?
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

gunrock
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 11 2018 08:30

Matt wrote:
Here goes:

+++ Farsight Enclave (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [109 PL, 2000pts] +++

+ HQ +

Commander Farsight
. Categories: Battlesuit, Character, Farsight Enclaves, Fly, HQ, Jet Pack, Legendary Unit, T'au Empire, Commander

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team: MB3 Recon Drone, MV4 Shield Drone
. 9x Pathfinder: 9x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

+ Dedicated Transport +

TY7 Devilfish: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Burst cannon
. Categories: , T'au Empire, Transport, Dedicated Transport, Vehicle, Fly

+ HQ +

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit: High-output burst cannon, Missile pod
. Categories: , Battlesuit, Character, Fly, Jet Pack, HQ, T'au Empire, Legendary Unit

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. 5x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 5x Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'vre: Fusion blaster

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit: 2x Flamer, Advanced targeting system, Fusion collider, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Stimulant injector

YAY! A double Y'Vahra Farsight list!
Aspiring Commander hit on a bunch of good points so I'll just cover what wasn't mentioned:

- Pathfinder drone team - I think everyone thinks of adding these and by the end realizes the usually aren't worth it. If you take them the recommendation is to take a full squad (recon, 2 shield drones, pulse accelerator and maybe grav), but seeing as how your trying to fit it in a devil fish that's not really viable, but the small drone squad tends to get killed in higher point games.

- If your trying to get as much value out of Farsight as possible Y'Vahra seems like a good choice, just note that if you use mont'ka you can get around target lock if you want to drop it for another support system namely, stimulant injector. The same is true on coldstar, you can leave off target lock so you can fit ATS/shield generator as 60'' movement first turn is already completely absurd.

- Consider dropping the Devilfish. Pathfinders want to start on the ground and also get vanguard move which makes the devilfish less useful. Alternatively, you can pack it with gun drones and a fireblade, or two minimum squads of rail rifle pathfinders, but most of the devilfish combos are a little bit mid-tier right now. It also doesn't work directly with your battle suits savior protocols unless your using it to get load of shield drones forward for your Y'Vahras second turn.

- Fusion blaster, I actually like fusion on stealth teams, but they're strictly less efficient on XV-8 and XV-25 then a commander. If you don't feel like you need 4 fusion on a commander you can take 3 and multitracker and be close to the same efficiency, but you should consider moving them to a different platform. Taking markerlight target lock + fusion is also points intensive and since you can't fire both sometimes a waste.

- Drones: you need some shield drones to protect the Y'Vahra first turn, they're gonna get shot at, a lot. Also you almost always want to fully pack XV-8 teams with drones, they'll also help protect your Y'Vahra when you get close.

Excited for this build!
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

Matt
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 12 2018 06:16

Cheers guys, plenty to think about!

I’ll mull it over this weekend.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 12 2018 06:52

If your going to run farsight, consider taking a homing beacon with the stealth team. It will make charging easier[or just drop directly into CC without charging, if avoiding flamers on vehicles ]

P.s. crisis suits can carry 3 weapons, are yours intentionally under equipped?

Matt
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 12 2018 04:26

Ok, so, I've given this a little more thought. I'll try to answer the questions first.

Lostroninsoul wrote:If your going to run farsight, consider taking a homing beacon with the stealth team. It will make charging easier[or just drop directly into CC without charging, if avoiding flamers on vehicles ]

P.s. crisis suits can carry 3 weapons, are yours intentionally under equipped?

Good call on the homing beacon, and the XV8s are under-equipped so I can keep the list under 2000 points.

gunrock wrote:YAY! A double Y'Vahra Farsight list!

- Drones: you need some shield drones to protect the Y'Vahra first turn, they're gonna get shot at, a lot. Also you almost always want to fully pack XV-8 teams with drones, they'll also help protect your Y'Vahra when you get close.

Excited for this build!

:biggrin: I'll take on board all of your points, and don't have any questions about them except this one. Aren't the two shield drones per XV107 enough to survive the first turn? I'm not sure that I have the miniatures to build squads of drones (I only have the optimised pathfinder squad and rapid insertion cadre so far), and drones are stupidly expensive here in Australia.

Aspiring Commander wrote:Hey Matt! Welcome to ATT and to tau :)

Few things about the list off the bat;

Farsight isn't really seen as a competitive option unfortunately- he only really should be included if you need the second mont'ka activation (I love the model, and it makes me sad I don't use him)

The coldstar commander and the crisis team aren't using all of their hard points- give the commander an ATS and shield gen, and arm those suits to the teeth! Cyclic ion and fusion on a crisis suit seems like a split of battlefield responsibility, and they're better suited to being armed for one job. I'd give them 2xCIB + ATS, but there's an arguement for 8 CIB and drone controller being a better build.

I would split the stealth suits into two squads to save you from morale and let them operate independently, plus more drones!

There isn't much reliable anti armour kicking about the list, so I would go for the dull but reliable quad fusion commander. BS2+ has to be abused while we're an index army.

My final point is the Y'vahras could probably use some drone friends to deploy near them at the start, otherwise your opponent could wipe them off the board before they get a chance to set everything on fire!

What do you think?

Thanks for the welcome :)

I'm using Farsight because I think he's cool, rather than to be competitive, so I'm not too fussed about the loss of efficiency there. You make very good points about the lack of anti-armour, and stealth squad sizes though. I don't think I own the number of drones necessary to create a list like yours though!

Matt
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 12 2018 05:26

Ok, here’s an adjusted list. I am limited to a relatively small selection of minis, unfortunately, but I’ve tried to incorporate the suggestions of others as best I can. I still lack anti-armour, but hopefully I can wipe out all the infantry before that’s too much of a problem? There’s a total of 15 drones in the army, which might be too few. The only way to fit more in would be to drop either some stealth suits or the ghostkeel, though I feel like the ghostkeel will be useful as a distraction for the xv109s. I get the feeling that the double-XV109 list is probably more viable at 2500 points or so (or you could just run it as a triple-XV109 list at that level... ;) ).

Just a disclaimer: there’s no way I’ll game more than once with this list before the codex drops (if rumours are true , at least), so I’m a little reluctant to gear it too heavily towards exploiting the index list. I also like to use the Rule of Cool when choosing which minis I buy. :D

Anyhow, here’s the modified list:

+++ Farsight Enclave (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [103 PL, 1995pts] +++

+ HQ +

Commander Farsight

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team
. 5x Pathfinder: 5x Markerlight

Pathfinder Team

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, 2x MV52 Shield Drone, Stimulant injector

XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, 2x MV52 Shield Drone, Stimulant injector

+ HQ +

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, MV1 Gun Drone, Shield generator

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: Homing beacon, MV1 Gun Drone, MV7 Marker Drone
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system: 2x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: MV1 Gun Drone, MV7 Marker Drone

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit: 2x Flamer, Advanced targeting system, Fusion collider, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

gunrock
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 13 2018 07:32

Matt wrote:Ok, here’s an adjusted list. I am limited to a relatively small selection of minis, unfortunately, but I’ve tried to incorporate the suggestions of others as best I can. I still lack anti-armour, but hopefully I can wipe out all the infantry before that’s too much of a problem? There’s a total of 15 drones in the army, which might be too few. The only way to fit more in would be to drop either some stealth suits or the ghostkeel, though I feel like the ghostkeel will be useful as a distraction for the xv109s. I get the feeling that the double-XV109 list is probably more viable at 2500 points or so (or you could just run it as a triple-XV109 list at that level... ;) ).

Just a disclaimer: there’s no way I’ll game more than once with this list before the codex drops (if rumours are true , at least), so I’m a little reluctant to gear it too heavily towards exploiting the index list. I also like to use the Rule of Cool when choosing which minis I buy. :D

Anyhow, here’s the modified list:

+++ Farsight Enclave (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [103 PL, 1995pts] +++

+ HQ +

Commander Farsight

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team

Pathfinder Team

+ HQ +

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, MV1 Gun Drone, Shield generator

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: Homing beacon, MV1 Gun Drone, MV7 Marker Drone
. Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: MV1 Gun Drone, MV7 Marker Drone

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit: 2x Flamer, Advanced targeting system, Fusion collider, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

I think you can build viable double Y'Vahra list, but I feel you on being tight for space. Ideally, I think you want an XV-8 squad per Y'Vahra for turn 2 drone refill which isn't really practical at 2k points. You can get close by switching to single XV-9's to deep strike drones. This list looks better, but I think there's still a couple spots worth tweaking. I think the single gun drones in the stealth teams are bit of a waste, you'd be better served by a second marker drone.

Aside from monk'ka your other way of getting around target lock is the 3rd markerlight bonus which you can easily get via a single hit + strategem, so they're still useful. The 2 single shield drones with they Y'Vahra might be better as a separate drone squad of 4. Also you should move the single gun drone with the coldstar to a different squad.

I like the ghostkeel, but I think the Y'Vahra will likely be the higher priority target most of the time. Ghostkeel is a great mid-fielder, and can do a lot protecting that space as you advance. That said, they're both awful to shoot at :biggrin:.

I feel you on considering cutting a stealth team or ghost keel to fit other units, but you have a nice optimized stealth cadre thing going on with this build. In most single Y'Vahra lists there's still a pretty strong deep strike component to hit armor and take pressure off of the Y'Vahra. Y'Vahra is a good for killing tanks, so it can cover a lot of your anti-armor role, but it needs to get close to work, and until it does your stuck taking lascannon shots. I still think it'll work, but I think it makes drones even more necessary, it's just figuring out where you can afford to cut. The one thing that comes to mind is maybe switching the XV-8 squad for 2 XV9's with dual burst cannons+ATS+4x gun drones, and 5 extra shield drones. Having two separate squads might be a bit more flexible then a single XV-8 squad, but you are losing the better profile which is a bit redundant with your stealth teams and cold star. The combined 10 shield drones should be just enough to protect you first turn.
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

Matt
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 13 2018 10:03

The more I think about it, the more I’m sure that I can’t fit the ghostkeel if I’m to adequately protect the y’vahras with drones, which is sad. The model is so cool!

So that said, are drones generally better off in separate units? I figure that I shouldn’t necessarily need to use the montka move for the y’vahras, but could use it instead on a swarm of shield drones. In which case, should I drop the two shield drones from each y’vahra to put in a separate unit?

Keeping the list as is, I could drop the drones from every unit other than the xv8s, which could give me, say, a unit of 8 shield drones to deploy on the table, and then another 6 or 7 come down from manta strike with the xv8s.

If I drop the ghostkeel, then I could include a few more drones, and an xv9 or two, or a breacher squad in a Devilfish, or whatever else. Would losing the ghostkeel really cost me any tactical flexibility?

Sorry for all the questions.

gunrock
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 14 2018 12:12

Matt wrote:The more I think about it, the more I’m sure that I can’t fit the ghostkeel if I’m to adequately protect the y’vahras with drones, which is sad. The model is so cool!

So that said, are drones generally better off in separate units? I figure that I shouldn’t necessarily need to use the montka move for the y’vahras, but could use it instead on a swarm of shield drones. In which case, should I drop the two shield drones from each y’vahra to put in a separate unit?

Keeping the list as is, I could drop the drones from every unit other than the xv8s, which could give me, say, a unit of 8 shield drones to deploy on the table, and then another 6 or 7 come down from manta strike with the xv8s.

If I drop the ghostkeel, then I could include a few more drones, and an xv9 or two, or a breacher squad in a Devilfish, or whatever else. Would losing the ghostkeel really cost me any tactical flexibility?

Sorry for all the questions.

With drones it depends. In general drones want to be small enough squads that they don't take morale losses, but big enough that they aren't useless. Two gun drones are unlikely to do much on their own, but between 4-6 they form a durable squad that can contest objectives. Usually, it's not recommended to take singles or pairs of drones on individual models, the exception to this is commanders where taking 2 shield drones is fine. Taking 2 marker drones on a stealth team is alright also. XV-8 drone squads are a little bigger then ideal to mitigate morale losses, but is of set by the better damage/durability. In this sort of list deep striking drones is ideal for a couple reasons: it guarantees they'll get a chance to shoot before being killed, and you need them downfield to support the Y'Vahra's who will quickly outpace drones on foot. With that in mind I would really just put enough shield drones to protect it first turn (and expect them all to die), and try to deep strike anything else you can.

I would definitely drop the pair drones from the Y'Vahra, and put them in a separate squad of thier own. The only advantage to putting them with the Y'Vahra is the slightly lower number of drops. I think you could safely drop the Ghostkeel for more firepower. You could also do the same with the xv-25 if you want to go for an all out offensive build.

Here's a possibility:

Outrider, Outrider, Vanguard Detachment - (6 CP)

HQ:
Commander Farsight - Plasma rifle, dawn blade (151)
Commander - 4x fusion blaster, 2x shield drone (176)
Commander ins XV-86 Coldstar - HOBC, Missile pod, ATS, Shield Generator (150)

Elites:
XV 25 Stealth Team (3x) - 3x Burst Cannon, Drone controller, 2x Marker Drone (115)
XV 25 Stealth Team (3x) - 3x Burst Cannon, Drone controller, 2x Marker Drone (115)
XV-8 Crisis Team (3x) - 6x CIB, 3x ATS, 6x Gun drone (306)

Fast Attack:
Pathfinder Team (5x) - 5x Markerlight, 5x Pulse Carbine (40)
Pathfinder Team (5x) - 5x Markerlight, 5x Pulse Carbine (40)
Tactical drones (5x) - 5x Shield generator (40)
Tactical drones (5x) - 5x Shield generator (40)
XV 109 Y'Vahra - ATS + Stims (408)
XV 109 Y'Vahra - ATS + Stims (408)

1989 pts.

So dropping the ghostkeel makes some room for a fusion commander to back up the XV- 8 Team, and some drones. We can also move the fusion blasters from the stealth teams onto the commander who's a better platform. I think its alright as anything midfield that you would want to shoot a fusion blaster at you can hit with the Y'Vahras as they advance.

Thoughts?

Matt
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 14 2018 02:44

I like that list a lot! There's even room to throw in an extra drone somewhere.

Will have to save the Ghostkeel for bigger games. Now I just have to start assembling/painting everything... :-(

Thanks so much for taking the time to put that together. Now I bet that I'll get it all sorted and the codex will change everything! :biggrin:

Return to “Cadre Building”