8th Edition 1250pt Highlander Suggestions

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
manbearfrink
Shas

8th Edition 1250pt Highlander Suggestions

Post#1 » Jan 16 2018 11:16

Fellow T'au, I need some suggestions for a 1250pt Highlander list! I've only got 12 Kroot, so I can double up once on my Troops choices.

I'd like to start off with some suggestions of strategy or basic combos and then I'll post a list and we can tweak? Thanks everyone!

List restrictions:
1 of each type of unit (and "similar" units count the same so Coldstar and Commander are one unit type)
No LoW
After taking 1 of each Troop unit, you can take another one, etc. (Basic Highlander restrictions)
Last edited by manbearfrink on Jan 16 2018 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Re: 8th Edition 1250pt Highlander Suggestions

Post#2 » Jan 16 2018 11:56

What models do you have in your collection?

This list seems balanced
Battalion

commander: ats, cibx3 2 marker 158
Coldstar commander : ats, shield 150
Longstrike: 2seeker,2 smart, rail 225

Breacher x5. 43 (markerlight)
Striker x5 40
Kroot x10. 60

Stealth suits atsx3 burstx3 homing 134

Crisis team ,8Fusion 1 dc 6marker drones

Pathfinder 10xcarbines

The list should have decent mobility, decent anti armor, decent anti infantry, if you have a stormsurge I would play it, and play it aggressively.

manbearfrink
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 16 2018 12:53

@Lostroninsoul I've got FW, Breachers, a bunch of XV-15/25 stealth suits, crisis suits, several tanks and devilfish, a ghostkeel, 2 FB pirhanas, tons of drones, and 5 broadsides (which are pretty much a no right now).

Forgot to add that the list cannot include any LoW, so my SS is out.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 16 2018 09:09

What are your HQ models?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 16 2018 09:36

Seeing as you can take a Commander or a Coldstar that makes things a little tricky, but I would suggest the Commander instead of the Coldstar. With that in mind, you'll absolutely want to take...

1x Commander
3x Stealthsuits
3x XV8s
10x Pathfinders

I highly recommend a Fusion Commander loadout especially for highlander, where you want your expensive units to be as multi-role as possible. Then you'll likely want to equip your XV8s with Cyclic Ion Blasters (or something else if you need to play WYSIWYG).

Here's just those models with wargear and points calculated:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (137)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 10x Markerlights (80)

That's 716 points, so you still have about 500 left. We still need some backfield units like Fire Warriors or maybe Longstrike, and we'd also like more Markerlights and a bit more anti-infantry. Using the double-troops exception, we could add:

HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (201)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (81)

That brings us to 1160, and we can easily build a Battalion too, which is great. With the remaining 90 points, we could shift things around and cram in a Ghostkeel, or we could beef up the Stealthsuit squad with higher numbers and add some more infantry. Here are two possible lists:

-

Standard List:

Troops - 12x Kroot Carnivores (72)
Elites - 4x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (167)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 10x Markerlights (80)
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Burst Cannon, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (81)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)

Total: 1250 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

Ghostkeel List:

Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (126)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders w/ 8x Markerlights (64)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

Total: 1249 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

Ghostkeel list feels a little tight but both lists could be viable. What do you think?

manbearfrink
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 17 2018 04:02

Arka, I like it, but I would have to take a Breacher squad before I could double up on FW. Same points though, so kind of a moot point.

I like the idea of the GK as it would be a great distraction and the -2 to hit would keep it safe as a backfield objective holder, but it is a bit pricey.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 17 2018 06:23

manbearfrink wrote:Arka, I like it, but I would have to take a Breacher squad before I could double up on FW. Same points though, so kind of a moot point.

So, you can take a second of something once you've taken one of each Troops choice?

manbearfrink wrote:I like the idea of the GK as it would be a great distraction and the -2 to hit would keep it safe as a backfield objective holder, but it is a bit pricey.

The Ghostkeel is more effective midrange than as backfield (its weapons are 18-24") but I'd say it's a viable choice. At 1250 points, with the rest of the options, the list does feel crammed though.

Return to “Cadre Building”