250pt list - Escalation League

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
LongSteelShadow
Shas

250pt list - Escalation League

Post#1 » Jan 16 2018 05:39

Hello Commanders,

As this is my first time posting I apologize for not providing my list directly from BattleScribe. Before I go into the list I wanted to mention the limitations that they have put on us for the escalation league. For the first week we are limited to pretty much HQs and infantry. What they have done to limit us is ban certain keywords, so at this point I can't use anything with fly, or jetpack, or drone. This severely limits me as to what I can take.

My List:
Patrol Detachment:

1x Cadre FireBlade (42 pts)

3x Strike Team: (56 pts ea)
1x Fire Warrior Shas'ui (pulse fifle)
6x Fire Warriors (pulse rifles)

1x Pathfinder Team: (40 pts)
5x Pathfinders (pulse carbines)

Total: 250 pts

My predominant questions are whether the pathfinder tax is necessary since I will only be fighting against infantry, and if I need to split my fire warriors up into smaller teams to be able to manage issues with leadership.

Any advice on best practices for playing a list at this level are also welcome. I am a very new player, only played 1 game, so your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Thank You

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: 250pt list - Escalation League

Post#2 » Jan 16 2018 07:55

Welcome to ATT! Sounds like an interesting league you've found yourself in. I'd be happy to help!

LongSteelShadow wrote:What they have done to limit us is ban certain keywords, so at this point I can't use anything with fly, or jetpack, or drone. This severely limits me as to what I can take.

Assuming that your opponents are equally limited (no Bikers, Dreadnoughts, Vehicles, etc.) then I'd say you're okay. However, this army (and most others) would probably be crushed by Terminators, Paladins, Custodes, or other elite infantry. While it's outright impossible to beat Custodes with an infantry-only Tau list, if you want to stand a fighting chance against Terminators then adding Ion Rifles, Rail Rifles, or Support Turrets w/ Missile Pods might be worth it.

Since you need a detachment we need an HQ, and the Fireblade is our only viable option. That leaves us with 208 points remaining for other units- Fire Warriors, Breachers, Kroot, or Pathfinders. Bizarrely enough, with the restrictions you could technically take a Broadside, which would be utterly deadly in a 250-point game, though a poor choice in the later games of the escalation league.

Assuming that, as per the usual escalation rules, you can change the wargear but not the units in your army, you might want to start with something like this:

-

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 7x Fire Warriors (56)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors (48)
Elites - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)

Total: 250 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

Troops - 5x Fire Warriors; Support Turret w/ Missile Pod (60)

Total: 250 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

Either of those look interesting? I guess those are the sorts of lists I'm imagining for Tau infantry-only. What do you think?

LongSteelShadow wrote:I apologize for not providing my list directly from BattleScribe.

By the way, if possible, please don't use Battlescribe if you're looking for advice on your list- Battlescribe's formatting is difficult to edit. Feel free to use it for posting "finished" lists though (if such things exist!) :D

LongSteelShadow
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 16 2018 10:08

Thanks for your reply. I unfortunately don't have any PF with ion rifles but my group isn't super picky about WYSIWYG. I hadn't thought about terminators as I figured they were really too expensive to bring at this level but I just looked it up and you are quite right someone could be a huge jerk and do something like that. would it be beneficial to bring a smaller number of rail rifles? or would the ap -4 really be wasted because the terminators would just use an invulnerability save?

I obviously still have much to learn about T'au lol but thank you I am going to adjust my list so that I can stand a fighting chance against those super tough terminators.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 16 2018 10:24

LongSteelShadow wrote:Thanks for your reply. I unfortunately don't have any PF with ion rifles but my group isn't super picky about WYSIWYG. I hadn't thought about terminators as I figured they were really too expensive to bring at this level but I just looked it up and you are quite right someone could be a huge jerk and do something like that. would it be beneficial to bring a smaller number of rail rifles? or would the ap -4 really be wasted because the terminators would just use an invulnerability save?

I don't think bringing Terminators is particularly a jerk move, though it would definitely be more competitive than usual in a 250-point environment. A massive tide of Space Marine Scouts might be more effective, but you get the idea- even with harsh restrictions, there's a huge range of options available even at 250 points. 5 Custodes Guardians, however, would just be WAAC. :D

Rail Rifles are really strong, and they really do bring down Terminators effectively. However, three Rail Rifles is 66 points, exactly a third of your list! Not even the models, just the guns themselves. Expensive stuff. They're solid weapons, but personally I'd only use them when (a) you can afford enough Markerlights to effectively bring those Pathfinders to BS3+, and (b) you are allowed to guard the Pathfinders with Shield Drones.

That said though, just from a stats perspective, Rail Rifles are powerful- there's no denying that.

If you want to try them out, consider a list like this:

-

Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 3x Markerlights, 3x Rail Rifles (105)

Total: 249 - Command Points: 3 (1 Patrol Detachment)

-

In this case you'd be really hoping to make Uplinked Markerlight count on a turn when your Rail Rifles are in rapid-fire range... risky if the opponent has lots of Bolters or other rapid-fire guns that may be able to clear the Pathfinders out easily.

What do you think?

By the way, here's a silly list:

-

Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones, 2x Marker Drones (60)
Heavy Support - Broadside w/ 2x High-Yield Missile Pods, 2x Plasma Rifles, Target Lock (190)

Total: 250 - Command Points: 1 (2 Auxiliary Detachments)

-

If you just want to surprise people at the event! :D

Return to “Cadre Building”