74pl tournament! =)

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
demurr
Shas

74pl tournament! =)

Post#1 » Jan 17 2018 07:04

So I'm planing to go to a 74pl tournament. Restrictions are: 3 different detachments max. Cannot have doubles. 60 of the same model max.

I wanna do a roster centred around an Y'vahra because goddamn it's so good x)

Here's the first one:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) [27 PL, 593pts] ++
+ HQ +
Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
Commander [7 PL, 164pts]: 4x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV1 Gun Drone
+ Fast Attack +
Tactical Drones [2 PL, 32pts]: 3x MV1 Gun Drone, MV4 Shield Drone
+ Troops +
Strike Team [3 PL, 63pts]: DS8 Tactical Support Turret w/ Missile pod
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle
++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [47 PL, 1075pts] ++
+ HQ +
Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 150pts]: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Shield generator
+ Elites +
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 323pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller
+ Fast Attack +
Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 97pts]
. Pathfinder: Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle: 3x Rail rifle
XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [20 PL, 408pts]: Advanced targeting system, Stimulant injector
++ Total: [74 PL, 1668pts] ++

Having written up that I got to thinking. Do I really need the battalion and the fire warrior tax? The main reason for that line of thought was the fact that taking rail rifles I'm left with just 4 markerlighting pathfinders. That really doesn't seem to justify needing those 2 extra CP. So I made a second list right off the bat:

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [40 PL, 928pts] ++
+ HQ +
Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [7 PL, 150pts]: Advanced targeting system, High-output burst cannon, Missile pod, Shield generator
+ Fast Attack +
XV109 Y'vahra Battlesuit [20 PL, 408pts]: Advanced targeting system, Stimulant injector
++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [34 PL, 775pts] ++
+ HQ +
Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, MV1 Gun Drone, MV4 Shield Drone
Commander [7 PL, 164pts]: 4x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
+ Elites +
Firesight Marksman [1 PL, 24pts]: Markerlight
Firesight Marksman [1 PL, 24pts]: Markerlight
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 323pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'vre: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller
+ Fast Attack +
++ Total: [74 PL, 1703pts] ++

But if I go with that one, who's gonna control the objectives? Going for tabling each of your opponents is a grand tactic but hardly a one you can really count on.

So what do you guys think? I would really appreciate some comments and criticism!

P.S.: Other models I have available are 6 stealth suits, 6 more crisis suits, second Y'vahra, Riptide, boradside, piranha, 2 ethereals, 2 fireblades, darkstrider, 3 XV9s with all guns available, good 10-20 more drones and a devilfish. And if there's any model that's gonna absolutely decid the battle, I can probably get my hands on it as well.

P.P.S.: one thing that had me baffled was the fact that the XV9 takes drones for 1pl a disk. While literally everybody else gets 2 for 1. My initial plan was to drop the midfield drones for Y'vahra with Hazards but the price in PL seemed absolutely unreasonable unlike it does in points.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: 74pl tournament! =)

Post#2 » Jan 19 2018 07:31

So this is a PL tournament, not 75PL, but 74PL? Interesting! A Y'vahra will always be a great choice, even though it's 30% of the army. The Commanders are good, free turrets with Fire Warriors are required if you're playing PL, though remember that SMS is better than Missile Pod against all types of single-wound infantry.

I think, in a tournament this size, that you are going to want CPs, and getting free Turrets isn't bad either. I'd stick with the Battalion.

The suggestions I'd make would be (a) make the drone squads that will accompany the Y'vahra all Shield Drones, (b) swap the Missile Pods for SMS to get better anti-infantry, and (c) give the Y'vahra a Target Lock, you have too few Markerlights to reliably give it the buff it needs every turn.

Otherwise, the only thing I'd be interested in adding would be Shield Drones for the Rail Rifle Pathfinder squads, but it doesn't look like the PL are available. That's okay!

Anyway, what do you think?

demurr
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 21 2018 04:22

Arka0415 wrote:Anyway, what do you think?

Those are some good suggestions, thanks a lot! I'm gonna think it over =)

FoxZz
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 21 2018 05:05

In addition to what Arka said, I'd rather take 6 gun drones than 4 gun and 2 shields to take advantage of the drone contoller. Otherwise take another CIB instead.

I think you'd be better of deleting the two gun drone squads and instead take an extra Pathfinder team, same loadout as the others, and with the extra PL would get 2 drones for the Coldstar commander. So in the end you lose 6 drones but get 2 extra markerlights and 3 extra rail rifles. I think it's worth it. Than you can pass the Coldstar drones to the Y'vahra.

Why not taking another Fusion commander, a missile commander or even a Plasma commander instead of a CIB commander since you already have a CIB crisis team ? I find the BS2+ of the commander to be the most cost-effective with low rate of fire weapons.

Also, something you might consider is Stealth teams, with PL rules, they can get a free ATS which is rather usefull, especially since it's a straight buff instead of a trade-off for a gun slot. You also get a free homing beacon. It comes at 7 PLs with two drones, so I don't know where you could squeeze it.

demurr
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 21 2018 09:32

FoxZz wrote:In addition to what Arka said, I'd rather take 6 gun drones than 4 gun and 2 shields to take advantage of the drone contoller. Otherwise take another CIB instead.

The thing with that 6 drone setup is that while I do want their firepower, they're still here to take wounds. Also when they get targeted individually having a shield drone or two in the mix can really make a difference.

FoxZz wrote:I think you'd be better of deleting the two gun drone squads and instead take an extra Pathfinder team, same loadout as the others, and with the extra PL would get 2 drones for the Coldstar commander. So in the end you lose 6 drones but get 2 extra markerlights and 3 extra rail rifles. I think it's worth it. Than you can pass the Coldstar drones to the Y'vahra.

I actually really like the idea of changing one of the drone squads to a third railfinder squad. What really bothered me with the first list was that while getting two additional CP it has only four fifty percent chances at getting a markerlight which really limits the chances of getting the full five point benefit. By getting another squad I get two more chances at that and the benefit of having more rails is obvious. But I am really concerned with Y'vahras safety. This setup leaves me with 4 shield drones standing next to the battlesuit protecting it from the alphastrike and the crisis suit drone squad in the midfield. That is not a lot of drones :eek:

FoxZz wrote:Why not taking another Fusion commander, a missile commander or even a Plasma commander instead of a CIB commander since you already have a CIB crisis team ? I find the BS2+ of the commander to be the most cost-effective with low rate of fire weapons.

Well, it's for the versitality CIB+ATS commander can provide. I think that a single QFC + Y'vahra and the rail rifles should be enough anti-elite shots. While the CIB can damage pretty much all type of units reliably.

Thanks a lot for your input FoxZz! I will probably get the third railfinder squad as you suggested. I wonder if anyone wants to weigh in their opinion on that adjustment =)

FoxZz
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 21 2018 03:21

demurr wrote:
FoxZz wrote:In addition to what Arka said, I'd rather take 6 gun drones than 4 gun and 2 shields to take advantage of the drone contoller. Otherwise take another CIB instead.

The thing with that 6 drone setup is that while I do want their firepower, they're still here to take wounds. Also when they get targeted individually having a shield drone or two in the mix can really make a difference.

I'd delete the drone controller than, because once your gun drones are dead, you have a useless drone controller and 4 is not enough to justify it really. It gives you one more CIB which is meaningfull. Otherwise, if you want more protection, why not taking only Shield Drones ?

demurr wrote:Thanks a lot for your input FoxZz! I will probably get the third railfinder squad as you suggested. I wonder if anyone wants to weigh in their opinion on that adjustment =)

Your Welcome ! :)
Last edited by FoxZz on Jan 22 2018 05:20, edited 2 times in total.

demurr
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 21 2018 04:40

Actually. Coming to think of it, the damage and markerlight support a squad of railfinders provides isn't gonna outweigh the lack of security and anti-infantry firepower that comes with the loss of drones. And that particular thing with four markerlights not being enough to make good use of the stratagem can be tiped with the addition of two markerdrones. Probably.

So even though I ended up not following your advice FoxZz I want to thank you again for showing me some options haven't considered myself and making me give my roster a closer look =)

Return to “Cadre Building”