1000 points suits list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
whiteridder
Shas

1000 points suits list

Post#1 » Jan 22 2018 09:21

Hello everybody.

In april I got a 2 vs 2 tournament with 1000 points per person. I want to make a suits only list. I need some ideas and tips for building (and buying) a good working list.

At this moment I got:
1 commander
-3 crisis suits with 2x fusion blaser at each suit
-2 x 3 stealthsuits (2 fusion blasters and 4 burst cannons)
1x ghostkeel suit

1 squad of crisis suits still on sprue.

Can you help me with some advice

Oms
Shas

Re: 1000 points suits list

Post#2 » Jan 22 2018 04:43

Suits in general are overcosted currently, but more importantly last I heard we are likely to get a codec in March. That should change things quite a lot.

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 22 2018 07:07

Hey there!

I've written a list for you trying to stick to just the models you've said.

HQ- Commander w/ 3x CIB, ATS, 2x shield drone (154)
Elites- Stealth team w/ homing beacon (110)
Elites- Stealth team w/ 2x shield drone (106)
Elites- Crisis team w/ 6x fusion blaster, 2x flamer, DC, 6x gun drones (323)
Elites- Crisis team w/ 6x CIB, 3x ATS, 6x gun drones (306)

Total: 999pts, 4 command points (1 vanguard)

Stealth team and shield drones means you can leave the rest in manta strike, and you have all bases covered in weaponry. It lacks markerlight support however, which is my main concern.

What army will your friend be bringing with you? That will heavily affect what stuff you should bring to plug the gaps in each other's armies (Im entering a doubles tournament in June with a Space Wolves player because we shoot, he is a CC nightmare :))

Will send another list once I know what you're sharing the board with
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 22 2018 07:21

Aspiring Commander's list is perfect. Definitely try that out. The one change I would make though would be adding the Shield Drones to the Stealthsuit squad with the Homing Beacon, to keep it a bit more protected.

Also, if you want to really keep the Homing Beacon protected, consider a combined Stealthsuit squad with 5-6 models. Here's an idea:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
Elites - 5x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 4x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (197)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 2x Flamers, Drone Controller; 5x Gun Drones, 1x Marker Drone (325)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 5x Gun Drones, 1x Marker Drone (325)

Total: 1001 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

The only problem with this list is that one XV8 squad needs to start on the ground due to the 50% rule. What do you think?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Jan 23 2018 02:12, edited 1 time in total.

whiteridder
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 23 2018 02:03

Well both list sound good!!! . Only problem is to get a lot of fusion blasters and cyclon Ion blaster. How do you do that? I'm aware that there comes a new codex around that time, looking forward to it.

My team players is a dark angels player. His latest list is 2 razorbacks with lascannon, 2 tactical squads, 1 assault squad, nephilim jetfighter, liberian and a master in gravis armour.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Jan 23 2018 02:10

I just realized my suggested list had some typos in it- I don't recommend using that many Fusion Blasters! New list here & corrected in the earlier post:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
Elites - 5x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 4x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (197)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x Fusion Blasters, 2x Flamers, Drone Controller; 5x Gun Drones, 1x Marker Drone (325)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 5x Gun Drones, 1x Marker Drone (325)

Total: 1001 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

whiteridder wrote:Well both list sound good!!! . Only problem is to get a lot of fusion blasters and cyclon Ion blaster. How do you do that? I'm aware that there comes a new codex around that time, looking forward to it.

The two best things to use for CIBs are:

http://www.reddogminis.com/catalog/item ... 338245.htm

https://www.shapeways.com/product/A3RN8 ... arketplace

Both made by users here on ATT! For Fusion Blasters though, I think you'll need to just use eBay.

whiteridder wrote:My team players is a dark angels player. His latest list is 2 razorbacks with lascannon, 2 tactical squads, 1 assault squad, nephilim jetfighter, liberian and a master in gravis armour.

That's your ally? Very nice. Solid midfield infantry support, a flyer, a DA psyker, and two Lascannon Razorbacks? What more could you ask for? :biggrin:

whiteridder
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 23 2018 07:20

and what about a Coldstar battlesuit? Fast and mobile, bit is it really good?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 23 2018 07:39

whiteridder wrote:and what about a Coldstar battlesuit? Fast and mobile, bit is it really good?

Very fast, but doesn't quite have the firepower of a regular Commander. As a second Commander it's great, but for your first always take a Fusion Commander or CIB Commander.

Sonnenkoenig
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 23 2018 09:06

Your partner definitely has a well rounded set-up. If I may make a suggestion: I would advise to play your suits in a highly specialized way and most important of all, they should be able to deepstrike exactly where needed in order to synergize optimally with your partner. My suggestion would be the following:

Tau Empire: Patrol Detachment - 999 Pts
*************** 2 HQ ***************
Commander
+ 4 x Fusion blaster, 2 x MV1 Gun Drone -> 100 Pts Warlord, Relic: PEN
- - - > 176 Pts

Commander
+ 4 x Fusion blaster, 2 x MV1 Gun Drone -> 100 Pts
- - - > 176 Pts

*************** 1 Troops ***************
Strike Team
5 Fire warrior
+ Fire Warrior Shas'ui, Markerlight -> 3 Pts
- - - > 43 Pts

*************** 1 Elite ***************
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
+ Crisis Shas'vre, 3 x Plasma rifle -> 75 Pts
+ Crisis Shas'ui, 3 x Plasma rifle -> 75 Pts
+ Crisis Shas'ui, 2 x Plasma rifle, Drone controller -> 69 Pts
+Tactical Drones, 10 x MV1 Gun Drone
- - - > 524 Pts.
*************** 2 Fast Attack ***************
5 Pathfinder
+ Upgrade to Shas'ui -> 0 Pts
- - - > 40 Pts

5 Pathfinder
+ Upgrade to Shas'ui -> 0 Pts
- - - > 40 Pts

Total : 999
Command Points: 3

While I myself would never play Crisis suits nor Plasma rifles at higher point games, in this points range with what your TT partner is fielding, along with the markerlight stratagems, PEN, etc... their devastating firepower can be optimally used. I´ve tried this myself and was astonished how good they actually were. Your opponents won´t be able to ignore them but neither can they ignore your partner´s strong elements. THIS will put pressure on them! If needed, one or both quad Fusion Commanders can be deepstriked in 2nd or 3rd round in order to take out relevant targets. But togehter with PEN and the Commander´s buffs the unit will do immense damage, so that your partner´s firepower can be concentrated as needed.

I see that you do not have all the models, but it´s just an inspiration. After all, I think it would definitely be best to wait till March, when the new Taudex is supposed to be released ´cause there´s most probably going to be some big changes concerning list-building. Who knows...maybe Vespids will be the new shooting-stars... :D

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 23 2018 10:27

My suggestion would be to run your only commander as a QFC and do two of the crisis CIB teams. I'd split the drones as 3 shield, 3 marker on both. I would suggest another commander of any flavor and maybe some stealths if you want beacon shenanigans or a good DC caddy. Just make sure you have enough lights to get a reliable 4 hits so somewhere around 8 or 9 lights from either stealthsuit, or marker drones. I would always recommend pathfinders for this but it seems you want suits/drones so your options are fairly limited.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#11 » Jan 23 2018 06:50

Yojimbob wrote:My suggestion would be to run your only commander as a QFC and do two of the crisis CIB teams.

I agree, but it appears the XV8s are glued together, since the loadouts are specified in the original post.

whiteridder
Shas

Post#12 » Jan 24 2018 01:30

You're right, I already glued them together, I build them with the last edition, and havent played them for a while.

The 2 stealth groups, the ghostkeel and 3 crisis suits are already glued together.

My new commander I bought yesterday and the other 3 crisis suits are still on sprue.

whiteridder
Shas

Post#13 » Jan 24 2018 01:32

I was also thinking of 2 coldstar suits, but I don't have a lot of fire power in that case I think.

For the coldstar, what support systems I can use. Thought VL and ATS, but is a shield generator another good option or better take 2 shield drones?

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jan 24 2018 02:11

I prefer to have a shield together with the ATS on my coldstar.
Shield drones can't keep up with the 20-40" movement of the coldstar, so will quickly be left behind. So unless you plan to use them for other suits, I wouldn't take them.

I use my coldstar mainly for grabbing objectives, so sometimes I might move it to less than optimal position where an enemy might shoot at it. At these moments the shield has saved his ass more than once :P

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#15 » Jan 24 2018 02:33

Glued XV8s are definitely okay, Fusion Blasters are great. For Coldstars, the reason why everyone uses ATS + Shield Generator is because the ATS is the best way to increase its firepower (as the Coldstar can't take more guns) while the Shield Generator is the best way to increase its durability (as Shield Drones can't keep up with its speed).

whiteridder
Shas

Post#16 » Jan 24 2018 02:42

Oke, sounds good. Now to find out what thing on the sprue is the ATS :-) Cant find a photo of it. don't want to glue a drone controller on it, and say it's the ATS while the enemy says it's the drone controller :-p

But the coldstar I'm goint to build with ATS and the Shieldgenerator.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#17 » Jan 24 2018 02:53

whiteridder wrote:Oke, sounds good. Now to find out what thing on the sprue is the ATS :-) Cant find a photo of it. don't want to glue a drone controller on it, and say it's the ATS while the enemy says it's the drone controller.

This is the guide sketched by one of the game designers at an event a couple of years ago:

ATS isn't on the list- it's basically software. No need to represent it on the model.

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jan 24 2018 06:21

If you were gonna run a Coldstar in the list, I'd go something like this:

HQ- Commander w/ 3 CIB, ATS, 2x shield drone (154)
HQ- Coldstar w/ ATS, shield gen (150)
Elite- Firesight Marksman (24)
Elite- Crisis Team w/ 6x fusion blaster, 2x flamer, DC, 6x gun drone (323)
Elite- Crisis team w/ 6x CIB, 3x ATS, 6x Gun drone (306)
Fast Attack- Pathfinder w/ 5x markerlight (40)

Total: 997, 4 Command points (1 vanguard)

You get anti GEQ, MEQ and vehicle, mobility in the Coldstar, and markerlight support so all those crisis suits don't whiff their rolls :)

What you think?
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

Return to “Cadre Building”