1250 Highlander Tournament

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

1250 Highlander Tournament

Post#1 » Jan 22 2018 11:06

Hello, have not been able to post much for some reason my phone wont let me log but I've been following topics and posts on some tau tactics and came up with this list for a tournament this weekend.

Tournament Restrictions
-2 Detachment Max
-No Super-Heavy, Titanic or Lord of War
-Only allowed 1 of any unit (You can take more troops if you take some of each choice but don't want to go that route)

Mission wise we are doing 3 from CA, Scorched Earth, Dominate and Destroy, and Roving Patrol.

Kel'shan Enclave (T'au Empire) 1250

--Outrider--

HQ
- Darkstrider
- Etheral

Fast
- [9] Kroot Hounds
- [9] Pathfinders
[2] Shield Drones
- [4] Shield Drones

--Vanguard--

HQ
- Cmdr [Cyclic x4]
[2] Shield Drones

Elite
- Firesight Marksman
- Ghostkeel [Full Fusion] VT/SG
[2] Stealth Drones
- [6] Xv25 [Burst Cannon] SG
[2] Shield Drones
- [3] Xv8 [2 Fuison] SG
[6] Shield Drones

Ive been doing this tactic in 2000 point matched play games and its worked out great so I made a variation to fit around the tournament rules.

The tactic is simple, deploy stealth suits in a circle large enough for the commander to squeeze into, land and have fun trying to kill the commander on -1 to hit stealth suits with shields aided by more shield drones.

Now for the tournament I have added the concept of screening my darkstrider and ethereal with hounds so they can catch up to the infiltrators, than using darkstriders ability to drop toughness, and get easy re-roll ones via ML for overcharging CiBs for T4 Units and He can drop the T3 units to T2 for my stealths. Along with the ethereal to declare invocations I feel like this blob will be very tough to crack with some of the restrictions in this tournament and may net me some wins.

all comments and ideas appreciated, may take time for me to respond back as I spend a lot of time commuting and cant access a lot of forums due to phone updates and such. Thank you for your time.
https://imgur.com/user/SpiltNooch
(Kel'shan Rescue Enclave)

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: 1250 Highlander Tournament

Post#2 » Jan 22 2018 11:45

The Highlander tournament style is definitely a strange one, but it sounds like an interesting list to work with.

I think you're definitely off to the right start! Commanders, Stealthsuits, Ghostkeels, etc. will all be good choices in this sort of game. That said though, I don't think some of the choices in this list will be very viable with their wargear as it is. Darkstrider can only buff the Stealthsuits, and it's only really viable against T3 infantry which seems a bit niche. And also, the Ethereal's Sense of Stone can't effect the Kroot Hounds or Drones, so honestly I don't think it's really worth taking. Taking larger squads is a good way to get around the tournament restrictions though.

Finally, I think a single Fusion Commander is ultimately a better choice against vehicles, the Ghostkeel will work better with a Target Lock, and you probably have too much shielding in the army, especially on the XV8s.

What about a list like this, changing some of the loadouts around?

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Elites - 6x Stealthsuits w/ 6x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller; 2x Shield Drones (201)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blaster, Target Lock, Shield Generator; 2x Stealth Drones (240)
Elites - Firesight Marksman w/ Markerlight (24)
Fast Attack - 8x Pathfinders (64)
Fast Attack - 8x Kroot Hounds (32)
Fast Attack - 6x Gun Drones (48)

Total: 1153 - Command Points: 5 (1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

[Not finished]

-

You still would have 100 points left in this list- you could add a squad of Shield Drones, the Ethereal if you want, or maybe make room for some other units that could be viable in a list like this, like a Coldstar, Commander Shadowsun, or Breachers.

What do you think?

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 23 2018 12:13

Unfortunately we have been very straight told 1 commander no getting around that

So, the reason I went CiB commander is because in this type of points list with the restrictions on detachments hes only most likely going to be effective as a QFC for about 1 Unit, No big scary stuff will be there and he is by far my most effective unit due to his 2+ and the lack of overall markerlights, I wont have a lot of command points and I wont be able to just go nuts with the uplinked markerlight so I need that commander pegging down significant portions of there most effective units.

Darkstrider destroys the nids and I am going to have at least 2 players I think there and dropping hoards with stealth suits just seems to work well.

Ghostkeel becomes a distraction carnifex the moment it damages the one thing I most likely need it to and those now mostly un needed fusion blasters don't need to be support and thats another 10 wounds to get through to the commander who will be pegging people off every turn.

The ethereal buffs that entire group, the hounds are just there to take advantage of the targeting characters rule so they don't get a easy alpha deployment etc. straight blocking units not worried about them want the ethereal with all the suits giving them a FnP on top of there shield gen saves.

The reason of the heavy shielding is because of the game types, scorched earth I will just go objective to objective burning for VP as the blob moves out, roving patrol not getting tabled turn one, if you roll bad you could be stuck out there against 750pt disadvantage, and the 3rd is kill points and being hard to take out will help along with mobility I should be able to take out more than I take off and stay at a comfortable distance.

I am always down with my favorite unit breachers will try to squeeze in maybe use them instead of hounds as the screen. I am not the only tau player at this event and we both have pretty much shown everyone the gun drone spam and now they don't last for what I seem to find effective, with everything the strategms can through out now I just feel like Invuls and FnPs are going to be big for us and I have found that with enough shield drones and generators and sense of stone we really can weather heavy hitting alpha strikes and stay effective stuff dies very fast in 8th and I feel when we can stay standing round 4 with out mobility etc we can really run away with missions.

I really appreciate your feedback and would do cib Xv8s but they just get to beat up by overcharging and misses I tend to stick with Cmdrs, Coldstar yes always an awesome addition just havent decided if he will be effective enough in comparison to his armed counter parts.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 23 2018 12:42

Nooch'un wrote:Unfortunately we have been very straight told 1 commander no getting around that

Just as a specific Tau nerf? Weird.

Nooch'un wrote:So, the reason I went CiB commander is because in this type of points list with the restrictions on detachments hes only most likely going to be effective as a QFC for about 1 Unit, No big scary stuff will be there and he is by far my most effective unit due to his 2+ and the lack of overall markerlights, I wont have a lot of command points and I wont be able to just go nuts with the uplinked markerlight so I need that commander pegging down significant portions of there most effective units.

Actually, at least in my experience, big scary things are more common in Highlander. You see more monsters, more vehicles, more bigger units. You may not see a Knight due to the tournament rules, but Land Raiders, Repulsors, Dreadnoughts, Stormravens, etc. will all be very viable in Highlander.

Nooch'un wrote:Darkstrider destroys the nids and I am going to have at least 2 players I think there and dropping hoards with stealth suits just seems to work well.

If the tactic works for you go for it then. Darkstrider's buff is going to give you 1-2 extra kills against T3/Sv6+, just taking another Stealthsuit for his cost may ultimately be more effective.

Nooch'un wrote:Ghostkeel becomes a distraction carnifex the moment it damages the one thing I most likely need it to and those now mostly un needed fusion blasters don't need to be support and thats another 10 wounds to get through to the commander who will be pegging people off every turn.

If the Ghostkeel is just for distraction why give it such an expensive loadout? You want it to be dealing consistent damage, be aggressive with it.

Nooch'un wrote:I really appreciate your feedback and would do cib Xv8s but they just get to beat up by overcharging and misses I tend to stick with Cmdrs

What I'm saying is, a Fusion Ghostkeel + Fusion Commander + CIB XV8s offers higher killing power than a Fusion Ghostkeel + CIB Commander + Fusion XV8s. As long as you get one Markerlight target, a full overcharging squad is going to take 0.4 mortal wounds per turn, while the Commander will take 0.2 mortal wounds per turn. Overcharge damage is hardly something to worry about.

If you really want to use the Darkstrider/Ethereal deathstar combo, then here's one way to do it I guess:

-

HQ - Ethereal on Hover Drone w/ Honor Blade (50)
HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 8x Cyclic Ion Blasters, Drone Controller; 6x Gun Drones (323)
Elites - 6x Stealthsuits w/ 6x Burst Cannons, 6x Shield Generators; 2x Shield Drones (249)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blaster, Target Lock, Shield Generator; 2x Stealth Drones (240)
Elites - Firesight Marksman w/ Markerlight (24)
Fast Attack - 9x Kroot Hounds (36)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)

Total: 1247 - Command Points: 5 (1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 23 2018 12:55

that I think was an awesome response and a solid list, I think I may set up for.

The CiB thing is just the odds have not been kind to my re-rolls lately not against them at all

The commander thing falls under the 1 of any units and no varients of the units thus 1 type of dreadnought, 1 type of captain, 1 type of deamon prince, etc. the rules are pretty laid out to make is so you literally cannot spam anything really.

I just find the keel becomes a hard to hit distraction he keeps going and going I love um cause so much damage.

You actually did switch me back to QFC to be honest there are a lot of flyers which is why I was thinking VT on the Keel but yeah and a lot of different tanks that are not varients or super heavys so QFC it is and Xv8 CiBs im totally with you.

Dark is dropping T3 to T2, again eldar and nids and hords are mostly T3 and wounding on 2s is a lot better than 3s ive just had it effective and also I don't have room for more stealth suits if I could of I certainly would

thanks for the list help I highly appreciate your input and insight

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 23 2018 12:57

the ethereal could totally be dropped in all this I find dark to be a boss utility but maybe ill just toss in a couple breachers instead

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 23 2018 01:20

Nooch'un wrote:The commander thing falls under the 1 of any units and no varients of the units thus 1 type of dreadnought, 1 type of captain, 1 type of deamon prince, etc. the rules are pretty laid out to make is so you literally cannot spam anything really.

The rules would consider Commander Shadowsun and an XV85 Commander to be the same unit?

Nooch'un wrote:I just find the keel becomes a hard to hit distraction he keeps going and going I love um cause so much damage.

It also carries a monstrous amount of firepower with 2+D3 S8/AP-4/D6 shots per turn, which is huge. I'm not saying it's bad at all, rather, I'm saying that it's more than just a distraction! :biggrin:

Nooch'un wrote:Dark is dropping T3 to T2, again eldar and nids and hords are mostly T3 and wounding on 2s is a lot better than 3s ive just had it effective and also I don't have room for more stealth suits if I could of I certainly would

Sounds like Darkstrider will be valuable in this list then. If you're up against something T4 though he's not as powerful, so why not add some Breachers to the list too? They could be a good synergy unit if you're up against Space Marines or Necrons.

-

Ethereal List:

HQ - Ethereal on Hover Drone w/ Honor Blade (50)
HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Troops - 9x Breachers (72)
Elites - 6x Stealthsuits w/ 6x Burst Cannons, 6x Shield Generators (233)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders (48)
Fast Attack - 8x Kroot Hounds (32)
Fast Attack - 4x Shield Drones (32)

Total: 1248 - Command Points: 5 (1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

No Ethereal List:

HQ - Darkstrider (45)
Troops - 10x Breachers (80)
Elites - 6x Stealthsuits w/ 6x Burst Cannons, 6x Shield Generators; 2x Shield Drones (249)
Fast Attack - 9x Kroot Hounds (36)
Fast Attack - 5x Shield Drones (40)

Total: 1250 - Command Points: 5 (1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

Some ideas to consider. What do you think?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jan 23 2018 10:10

My two cents here is going to be if you're taking Darkstrider he needs to be teamed up with people who have special weapons IE pathfinders with ion/rail or breachers, good on you if you have both. I recommend throwing special weapons in with the pathfinders and dispersing marker drones places with a DC on the stealths. Only need to do about 3 or 4 marker drones to make up for the pathfinders you "lose" with special weapons. That being said, I honestly don't think he should be included in this list but it seems you are fairly stuck on it.

Keel should probably be dakka keel rather than fusion keel. The QFC by himself should be able to knock out or knock down your highest armored threat. The CIB's from the XV8's should be able to do the same with the next big target. Keel should be able to mop up with volume of fire and handle those hordes you are so worried about. Much better loadout and cheaper IMO.

I'd probably take strike teams for speed bumps over kroot hounds too.

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 23 2018 07:53

for rules wise, its stated I cannot take a named commander than another commander as they are considered equivalents due to the fact they are both commanders, in comparison a SM player could not take a named character captain and an base just grav captain same with librarians etc. So unfortunately all our commanders are considered to be either name equivalent or straight equivalent due to the word Commander. I run coldstar warlord pretty much regularly, and shadowsun and him was the first question I asked and was denied.

I just love darkstrider find him useful in so many ways willing to drop but due to my limit of HQ choices I just felt besides a commander he is most viable ahead of ethereals and cadres but totally willing to change for fresh Ideas.

I assume if running my Keel with the Raker you are planning on running BCs but just curious if you ment otherwise.

I am open to a complete re-do of the list if any ideas are forthcoming just thought this sounded effective going against at least 2-3 hordes, a lot of SM, Nurgle, T-sons, Eldar, Tau and a maybe of a imperial soup that could have literally anything.

What I have painted to pick from really is

Any HQ except Aun'va

Breachers
FireWarriors
Kroot
Kroot Hounds
shaper
Xv8s
Xv25s
Cmdr
Devilfish
Path
tons of drones of all types
keel
firesight mark

this is what ive got done that I am willing to bring, I can make pretty much any loadout due to magnetizing and have enough to fill any squads to the max. I also have until sunday and can bust out mainly anything by then if there is something youd think would be absouletly a must take.

I really appreciate the comments!

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 24 2018 10:54

Don't suppose you can grab a riptide as a counts as Y'varha can you? Just curious before I try and craft some shenanigans. :P

Nooch'un
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jan 24 2018 09:04

ha wouldnt need to craft have the pair but sadly this they are saying no FW I cant use it otherwise I would have brought that and my r'varna with Coldstar and Remoras lol or Xv9s would have been nice

Return to “Cadre Building”