T'au 2000pts- first MC list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
AcrylicSpider
Shas

T'au 2000pts- first MC list

Post#1 » Jan 22 2018 11:56

After a slow resurgence to the hobby i have settled with T'au and have been experimenting with a variety of lists, but with the limit of what will i first buy and paint first. since i have not looked at T'au since 4th ed and the Ghostkeel being as sexy as it is i have settled with a monstrous creature list featuring Ghostkeel and Commander. I intend to start this as my first major collection of T'au in order to participate with some of the local gamestores nights and eventually enter local competitions.

T'au 2000/2000 pt list 125pp 14cp

Brigade Detachment
3HQ 3Elite 6Troop 3FA
Outrider Detachment
1HQ 3FA
Outrider Detachment
1HQ 3FA

HQ - Cadre Fireblade ~ 58pts
-2x Drones (gun) -Markerlight
HQ - XV8 Commander ~ 144pts
-2x Cyclic Ion Blaster -2x Burst Cannon -2x Drones (shield)

Elite - XV95 Ghostkeel ~ 207pts
-1x Fusion Collider -2x Fusion Blaster -2x Drones (stealth)
-Target Lock -Stimulant Injector

Troop - Strike Team ~ 71pts
-1x Shas'ui (Markerlight) -1x Drone (gun) -1x Guardian Turret
Troop - Strike Team ~ 68pts
-1x Drone (gun) -1x Guardian Turret

Fast Attack - Drone Squadron ~ 64pts
-6x Drones (gun) -2x Drone (shield)
Fast Attack - Drone Squadron ~ 32pts
-3x Drones (gun) -1x Drone (shield)

First key thing of note is i am hard in thought between a trickle of extra markerlight support in pathfinders vs the 5~15 ablative wounds in drones i will be losing for the suits which comprise the bulk of the list.

The Core idea for the list is to utilize the mobility and firepower of some of our medium large suits with small firebase support and a large wing of drones to act as extra wounds/firepower while being able to seperate into small screening units as small as needed in order to keep the battlesuits mobile.

The Commanders should be quite happy on their own with the BS to hit most targets and being tasked with a broad range of medium- targets using the CIB/BC combination, which allows the minimal markerlight support to be tasked with supporting the Ghostkeels weapons, while having the pool of CP for command re-rolls on Fusion Collider D3's of 1.

And finally there is the firing base which provides a small squad with a decent amount of 30" firepower thanks to the 6 guardian turrets, helping at least provide some form of defensive capability while slogging it to objectives (if the suits/drones are too busy elsewhere)

I was wondering what major considerations (besides ship 3 squads of drones for pathfinders, I'm already thinking that one :P ) I should take into account, I have yet to get myself a hard copy of the big book so I have yet to have a solid read at the new objectives I need to be considered.

As a final note the only things i actually have atm are 10 stirke team members w/ drones (not turrets), and a ghostkeel w/ drones

All help appreciated and I hope to be with everyone for a while :D

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: T'au 2000pts- first MC list

Post#2 » Jan 23 2018 12:57

This is an interesting idea- it's halfway between full-on powergame spam, and a casual gaming list! If you're looking to make it a little more competitive, here are some pointers:

1. Keep specialized loadouts on Commanders
2. Don't take Support Turrets
3. Avoid single drones, and if you need pairs of drones take Shield Drones over Gun Drones
4. Take Markerlights, especially now that have have access to the Uplinked Markerlight stratagem

Also, your list isn't a Brigade sadly, as it does not include any heavy support choices.

With that in mind, let's switch your Commanders over to specialized loadouts, remove the Support Turrets and single drones, and add some Pathfinders:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters, ATS; 2x Shield Drones (154)
HQ - Commander w/ 3x Missile Pods, ATS (156)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Stimulant Injector; 2x Stealth Drones (205)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Stimulant Injector; 2x Stealth Drones (205)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 3x Gun Drones, 1x Shield Drone (32)

Total: 1991 - Command Points: 11 (2 Battalion Detachments, 2 Outrider Detachments)

-

Still 9 points to spend if you want to add 1 more Pathfinder or something. Anyway, dropping the Support Turrets and adding the Missile Pod Commander actually increases damage due to the Commander's amazing accuracy, and adds another HQ for more Command Points.

What do you think?

AcrylicSpider
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 23 2018 01:11

I really like the changes for optimizing for competitive play, especially the optimization of the missle turrets for commander point, that is something i totally glazed over myself.

from what i had read the brigade was 3~5 fast attack or heavy support, not a requirement of both so thanks for correcting that. i will have to try out a few different ideas to put it together as i really feel that in a game with a lot of bad rolls i will need the cp to have spare for those fusion colliders >>"

*Edit*

And now looking at the linked markerlight strategem to find out what's up then i definitely need to work in the extra cp

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 23 2018 01:23

AcrylicSpider wrote:from what i had read the brigade was 3~5 fast attack or heavy support, not a requirement of both so thanks for correcting that. i will have to try out a few different ideas to put it together as i really feel that in a game with a lot of bad rolls i will need the cp to have spare for those fusion colliders

The Brigade is 3 HQs, 6 Troops, 3 Elites, 3 Fast Attack, and 3 Heavy Support. It's hard to make, especially since we Tau have no viable Heavy Support units except maybe the Fire Support Hammerhead.

AcrylicSpider wrote:And now looking at the linked markerlight strategem to find out what's up then i definitely need to work in the extra cp

The current list has 11 CP, that's great! You'll probably use Uplinked Markerlight for the Ghoskeels I'm guessing, but it'll really improve their firepower.

Since you're not building a Brigade, do you think the list maybe has too many Troops choices?

AcrylicSpider
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 23 2018 01:36

yea it definitely does, i think since that is the case with the brigade i will have to rethink the core of it so i can run it in a 3 detachment format. will have to rethink it but it will probably have to fit into a battalion + 2x Outrider >>"

and yea that markerlight boost stratagem to boost the Ghostkeel shootings will be massive to that gun :D

Curious, are piranha's any good in your mind this edition?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Jan 23 2018 01:51

AcrylicSpider wrote:yea it definitely does, i think since that is the case with the brigade i will have to rethink the core of it so i can run it in a 3 detachment format. will have to rethink it but it will probably have to fit into a battalion + 2x Outrider

Are your local tournaments usually limited to three detachments?

AcrylicSpider wrote:That markerlight boost stratagem to boost the Ghostkeel shootings will be massive to that gun :D

Definitely. One thing to keep in mind is that, if you're constantly using Markerlights on Ghostkeels, then the Target Lock becomes unnecessary due to the 3rd Markerlight benefit. However, once your opponents notice this they'll just target your Pathfinders, and you're back to taking Target Locks again. It's a difficult choice.

AcrylicSpider wrote:Curious, are piranha's any good in your mind this edition?

They're our fastest source of anti-infantry firepower and our cheapest source of Seeker Missiles, which is nice. However, they do cost 71 points for 12 BS4+ Burst Cannon shots... cheaper than the equivalent in Stealthsuits, but much weaker than the equivalent points in Gun Drones. Piranhas are an odd unit- great at anti-infantry, terrible at anti-tank. They fold against dedicated anti-tank fire, especially Plasma, but are amazingly resilient against anti-infantry fire.

If you have an army where you really need fast anti-infantry firepower they can be useful... but otherwise, personally, I think they're too flimsy. In a huge swarm though they could be a really interesting unit.

AcrylicSpider
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 23 2018 09:00

most of the local tournaments i see / hear pop up in the local area are running as close to the GW format they can usually :P 2000 points, 3 detachment limit.

as far as the markerlights for making use of the Heavy weapons + moving, i want the flexibility that if i have to markerlight some other priority target for a couple rounds (heavy infantry mainly) then i still want them to be able to function with a single markerlight for support, it is a difficult choice though.

and thanks for the update on the piranha, i really liked the look of it when it first came out but it felt underwhelming at the time :P i will probably re-write a lot of the list and update it when i get back in today.

AcrylicSpider
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 24 2018 12:50

Alright! back in and i have updated the list to meet the battalion 2xOutrider and settled on a couple idea's

First and foremost to reduce the troops down to 3 for the battalion i felt the best way to go forward with them was to have them with pulse carbines for mobility and add 3 squads of pathfinders in the absence of the previous strike teams.

Secondly was to include 2 pod Commanders and shorten one CIB Commander as i feel like the redundancy on the missle pods is a good thing overall for the flexibility of the group.

This leaves the list as follows:

HQ - XV8 Commander 150 pts 7 pp
-3x Cyclic Ion Blaster - ATS -2x Shield Drone
HQ - XV8 Commander 168 pts 7 pp
-3x Missile Pod - ATS -2x Shield Drone
HQ - XV8 Commander 168 pts 7 pp
-3x Missile Pod - ATS -2x Shield Drone

Elite - XV95 Ghostkeel 207 pts 10 pp
- Fusion Collider -2x Fusion Blaster -2x Stealth Drone - Target Lock - Stimulant Injector
- Fusion Collider -2x Fusion Blaster -2x Stealth Drone - Target Lock - Stimulant Injector

Troop - Strike Team (5 member) 43 pts 3 pp
-5x Pulse Carbines - Markerlight
-5x Pulse Carbine's - Markerlight
-5x Pulse Carbines - Markerlight

Fast Attack - Pathfinders (6 member) 48 pts 6 pp
-6x Markerlights -6x Pulse Carbines
Fast Attack - Drone Squadron (8 Drones) 64 pts 8 pp
-6x Gun Drone -2x Shield Drone

3 detachments ( 3HQ 3Troop 3 Elite 2 FA / 1 HQ 3 FA / 1 HQ 3 FA ) for 8 CP
and works perfectly into the 2,000 pts and having 132 pp

I feel I still need to take Target Locks on the Ghostkeels in case they need to just get by on a re-roll 1's for the turn, keeps the tactical focusing of the markerlights open for more targets then just armour/multiwound targets.

any thoughts on further revision's would be appreciated, but so far i think this will be a really fast and more skirmish style'd list which will be nice to see t'au doing so well at this edition

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Jan 24 2018 02:51

Looks like a solid list, though the points are off. A CIB+ATS Commander with Drones costs 154 points, an MP+ATS Commander costs 172 points, and a Fusion Ghostkeel costs 205 points. So the full list is over by 14 points.

With such a massive horde of drones, I would just drop the Shield Drones from the MP+ATS Commanders. That will free up points for two more Gun Drones, allowing you to break down into six squads. Here's these slight modifications:

-

Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones, 2x Shield Drone (56)

Total: 1998 - Command Points: 8 (1 Battalion Detachment, 2 Outrider Detachments)

-

What do you think?

AcrylicSpider
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 24 2018 02:58

looks good, thanks for the help with ideas and optimization ( as well as rule corrections :P ) it was a huge help : D when I finish up that second stealth drone and the bases I will post pictures of the first ghostkeel once it is finished!

Return to “Cadre Building”