T'au 1000 points list, fine-tune needed

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

T'au 1000 points list, fine-tune needed

Post#1 » Jan 25 2018 04:18

So, I present to you my 1000 point list. It has a good balance of anti-infantry and anti-vehicle, and I think it would do well.

The List:

Battalion:

HQ:

Longstrike:
Railgun, 2x Seeker Missiles, 2x Gun Drones (201)

Commander:
4x Fusion Blasters (160)

Fireblade:
Markerlight (42)

Fireblade:
Markerlight (42)

Troops:

Fire Warriors:
5x (40)

Fire Warriors:
5x (40)

Fire Warriors:
5x (40)

Fire Warriors:
5x (40)

Elites:

Firesight Marksman:
Markerlight (24)

Heavy Support:

Hammerhead:
Railgun, 2x Seeker Missiles, 2x Gun Drones (181)

Flyer:

Sun Shark Bomber:
2x Missile Pods, 2x Seeker Missiles, (191)
2x Interceptor Drones, Markerlight
CP: 6
PL: 53

Thoughts?

[EDIT}
Spoiler!
I have in my collection:
2x Commanders
6x Crisis Suits
9x Stealth Suits
2x Riptides
3x Broadsides
28x Pathfinders(4xRR)
40x Fire Warriors
2x Hammerhead/Skyray
1x Sun Shark
3x Devilfish
20x Kroot
6x Kroot Hounds
6x Vespid
9x Sniper Drones
3x Firesight Marksmen (proxying as fireblades)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: T'au 1000 points list, fine-tune needed

Post#2 » Jan 25 2018 05:28

I have some issues with this list, which is kinda the reason you posted right? You wanted advice on improvement?
Well, everything I have to say is based purely on opinion, and this may not line up with everyone else's opinions, but I also have experience to add to my opinions as well.

I wouldn't bring Longstrike AND a Hammerhead to 1000pts. 1, you've taken 1 too many HQ for a Battalion, and 2, the likelihood that you'll need a vehicle that dead at that points level is just way too low. That, and Longstrike and a Hammerhead suck up a lot of your points.
As for what to fill their spaces with, you already have a fusion commander. That's more than enough anti tank, and frees up a HQ slot to round out the Battalion.

I'd start using free points to fill out those Fire Warrior squads. 2 Fireblades among 20 Fire Warriors is a waste. I'd turn them all into Rifle carrying 10man squads. No turrets needed, but a single Shield Drone per unit won't hurt. Also, give your Commander a single Shield Drone too, for added protection.

That Firesight marksman is nowhere near as useful as you may think. Pull him, and throw in 10 Pathfinders. I can't stress enough how helpful they are. You can either use your Fireblades to mark up separate targets, then split your Pathfinder Markerlights between those 2 targets, almost guaranteeing the Seeker Missile Markerlight hit, or, you can use fire all 10 at a single target, and on average you should get 5 hits, then you can put your 2 Fireblade Markerlights into something that you really want to hit with Seeker Missiles. Finally, don't forget to use the T'au Strategem that came out in Chapter Approved. It has helped me a lot! Don't forget to take a Shield Drone or two with them.
PS. With Pathfinders, you can take a Pulse Accelerator Drone, and in my experience, this Drone in combination with a Cadre Fireblade and a metric ton of Fire Warriors is absolutely devastating. 36" range with 18" Rapid Fire. You're outshooting any basic infantry, and most elite infantry too.

Hope this input is helpful, and whether you like what I've said or not depends completely on you, your personality and your preferred playstyle.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 25 2018 06:17

@Bloodknife, the reason I took the two tanks is that nobody in my group of friends ever takes a significant amount of antitank in their lists, only usually a couple of meltaguns. I do agree about the marksman though, and the firewarriors. A squad of pathfinders could also be helpful, but they do usually get wiped out turn one. I've also reviewed my list, and have found a lack of anti-elite. I'll need to do something about that. Keeping all that in mind, here's a revised list:

BATTALION:

HQ:

Commander:
4x Fusion Blasters, Shield Drone (168)

Fireblade:
Markerlight (42)

Fireblade:
Markerlight (42)

TROOPS:

10x Fire Warriors:
Markerlight, Pulse Pistol (83)

10x Fire Warriors:

10x Fire Warriors:

PATROL:

HQ:

Longstrike:
Railgun, 2x Seeker Missiles, 2x Gun Drones (201)

TROOPS:

5x Fire Warriors:
Markerlight, Pulse Pistol (43)

FAST ATTACK:

5x Pathfinders:
Pulse Accelerator Drone, 2x Shield Drones (64)

FLYER:

Sun Shark Bomber:
2x Seeker Missiles, 2x Missile Pods, 2x Interceptor Drones (191)

I'll wait till Arka weighs in before changing too much. Thanks, BloodKnife92.

Tau'va

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 25 2018 07:07

Hey there!

Liking the look of certain aspects of your list! I feel like a Sun Shark in 1000pts would be enough of a nuisance :)

However, on your second list there:
-If you break down the fire warriors into MSUs, we can split it into 2 battalions, and get those extra command points! Plus each squad can hide another markerlight.
-If you're going pathfinder drones, go all or nothing- stick in an Anti-Grav and a recon drone to ensure extra survivability.
-I know you said there isn't much anti tank in your meta, but hammerheads just aren't reliable enough in their index form. Hopefully when we EVENTUALLY get our codex that won't be an issue.
-Take advantage of that Commander BS2+ as much as possible. Boring, but reliable.

Just a quick spitballed list for ya:

HQ- Commander w/ 4x fusion blaster, 2x shield drone (176)
HQ- Commander w/ 3x CIB, ATS, 2x shield drone (154)
HQ- Fireblade w/ markerlight (42)
HQ- Fireblade w/ markerlight (42)
Troops- 5 man Strike team w/ markerlight (43)
Fast Attack- Pathfinders w/ 6x markerlight (48)
Fast Attack- Pathfinders w/ 5x markerlight, PAC drone, Grav inhibitor drone, recon drone, 2x shield drones (84)
Flyer- Sun Shark Bomber w/ 2x missile pod, 2x seeker missile, 2x interceptor drones, markerlight (191)

Total:995 points, 9 command points (2 battalion)

Was there any units you just like/ definitely want to use? Or are you looking to go as competitive as possible with the models you own?

Hope it helps!
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 25 2018 07:09

SniperTau wrote:@Bloodknife, the reason I took the two tanks is that nobody in my group of friends ever takes a significant amount of antitank in their lists, only usually a couple of meltaguns. I do agree about the marksman though, and the firewarriors. A squad of pathfinders could also be helpful, but they do usually get wiped out turn one. I've also reviewed my list, and have found a lack of anti-elite. I'll need to do something about that. Keeping all that in mind, here's a revised list:

I'll wait till Arka weighs in before changing too much.

No need to wait for me! :D

Anyway, it looks like an interesting list. The absolute pile of Fire Warriors (35 at 1000pts!) should be a really interesting threat for your opponents to handle. I think 3x10+1x5 will suffer from morale problems though, so why not go 5x7? The Fusion Commander and Sun Shark will do well in this list, and Longstrike isn't bad- if you like using him though, that's great.

The two issues I see in the list are (a) as you mentioned, not enough anti-elite firepower, and (b) not enough Gun Drones. The Sun Shark will be a nice threat against Terminators and Rubric Marines and whatnot, but against Custodes and Paladins you may find the bulk of your firepower to be less-than-useful. A 4x Plasma Rifle Commander could be a good solution, but adding another Commander would really squeeze points for the infantry base. Anyway, here are some sample ideas:

-

Drone Gunline List:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Gun Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Gun Drones (201)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (51)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights; 2x Shield Drones, 1x Pulse Accelerator Drone (64)
Fast Attack - 5x Gun Drones (40)
Flyer - Sun Shark Bomber w/ Markerlight, 2x Missile Pods, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Interceptor Drones (191)

Total: 998 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

Extra Commander List:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Plasma Rifles; 2x Gun Drones (136)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun; 2x Gun Drones (191)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Flyer - Sun Shark Bomber w/ Markerlight, 2x Missile Pods, 2x Seeker Missiles; 2x Interceptor Drones (191)

Total: 1001 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 25 2018 07:24

I reckon, if we replaced longstrike(whom I like somewhat, but isn't optimal) with a quad plasma commander, and split off the fire warriors into groups of seven to help with morale, that would be a step in the right direction. Example:

Commander:
4x Fusion Blasters, 2x Shield Drones (176)

Commander:
4x Plasma Rifles, Shield Drone (128)

Fireblade:
Markerlight (42)

Fireblade:
Markerlight (42)

Fire Warriors x6:
Markerlight (51)

Fire Warriors x6:
Markerlight (51)

Fire Warriors x6:
Markerlight (51)

Fire Warriors x6:
Markerlight (51)

Fire Warriors x6:
Markerlight (51)

Fire Warriors x6:
Markerlight (51)

Pathfinders x5:
5x Markerlight, Grav-Inhibitor Drone, Pulse Accelerator Drone, 2x Gun Drones (72)

Sun-Shark Bomber:
2x Seeker Missiles, 2x Missile Pods, 2x Interceptor Drones (191)

Total:
999 Points, 57 Power, 9CP (2x Battalion + Battleforged)

What do you think?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 25 2018 07:56

SniperTau wrote:I reckon, if we replaced longstrike(whom I like somewhat, but isn't optimal) with a quad plasma commander, and split off the fire warriors into groups of seven to help with morale, that would be a step in the right direction.

The issue then would be the lack of anti-tank. In general, I'd suggest two sources of dedicated anti-tank per 1000 points. The Sn Shark Bomber can certainly deal damage to light vehicles, but only around 2-3 wounds. This isn't a huge problem, but it's just something to think about.

Also, I really do suggest adding some Gun Drones. Fire Warriors are only better beyond 18" range, and Gun Drones offer great durability, firepower, and overwatch capability. I don't think you need a double-battalion either, and the second Fireblade might be overkill. Here's an idea if we remove Longstrike:

-

Troops - 7x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (59)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights; 1x Shield Drone, 1x Pulse Accelerator Drone (56)

Total: 997 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

What do you think?

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 25 2018 07:59

Looks good, but for the fact that I only have about ten-twelve drones total. :neutral:

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Jan 25 2018 08:39

SniperTau wrote:Looks good, but for the fact that I only have about ten-twelve drones total. :neutral:

Ah, I see. I saw your colossal collection and assumed you had a ton. If you bought those boxes individually you'd have 66 drones by my count.

So, if we only get a handful of drones, let's give two Gun Drones to each Commander, a group of drones for the Pathfinders, and a Tactical Drone squad.

-

HQ - Ethereal w/ Honor Blade (45)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights; 2x Shield Drone, 1x Pulse Accelerator Drone (64)

Total: 1000 - Command Points: 9 (2 Battalion Detachments)

-

Command Points! :D

What do you think?

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jan 25 2018 10:08

Perfect! the plasma commander will massacre any heavy infantry(asides from custodes with storm shields), the QFC will kill any vehicles, and the fire warriors and gun drones will do what they do best - massacre infantry. I like the sunshark a lot, especially since it is a reliable source of mortal wounds. The only thing i'd change would be swapping the ethereal for a second fireblade, to spread out the volley fire buff.

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in on this list.

Tau'va

Sniper

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jan 26 2018 03:43

Hey there! those lists look good!

One comment I would like to do, no matter they end up being in the list or they don't, is that Longstrike is not far from competitive, and if the players you face are not used to take any anti-tank with some mid-long range, it can be VERY resilient.

That said, if you would take it, a few considerations:
a) As you already were doing, he really does better with RailGun than with ION Cannon, you will wound on a 5+ once or twice per game, I can tell you that.
b) He will be target of all the anti-tank of your opponents. Don't give them more reasons to kill him by 1) making him your Warlord, 2) giving him the Relic and 3) giving him 2xSeeker Missiles. That said, if you really know for sure he will be around 2-3 turns no matter what.... then may be okay.
c) If you want to max his potential, take another HH or two, and if possible, make them be Forgworld HH. They are more competitive than a RailHead/IonHead are. My picks are Twin Heavy Burst Cannon or 2xHYMP, both with SMS.

Hammerheads are never an option cause you have to count that you can have a 4-Leman Russ AM opponent that kills Longstrike and cripples another tank in your 1st turn, or even kills 2 and damages a 3rd one with plasmas and whatnot. If you can count that your tanks will in fact survive, then it becames playable a HH-heavy list, even at 1000 points.

That said, I do like the modifications of the final list, and I think a horde of FW can be challenging for many armies to deal with, as in cover you go to sv3+, and if they try to become close to you.... they will be seeing at 100+ of pulse shots at <18". Not too shaby.

Return to “Cadre Building”