Casual 1000 point list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Zadocfish
Shas'Saal

Casual 1000 point list

Post#1 » Feb 04 2018 02:19

Built a quick one yesterday for a casual game... worked okay, so I thought I might post it here for review.

---

Outrider Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ

Commander
4x Fusion Blaster

Fast Attack

Tactical Drones
x4 Gun Drones

Pathfinders
x2 w/Markerlights, x3 w/Rail Rifles, Recon Drone, Shield Drone

Pathfinders
x5 w/Markerlights

Vanguard Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ

Commander
x4 Fusion Blasters

Elites

Firesight Marksman
Markerlight

Crisis Suit Team
8x Plasma Rifle, 1x Drone Controller, 6x Gun Drones

Stealth Suit Team
2x Burst Cannon w/ATS, 1x Fusion Blaster w/Markerlight & Target Lock

---

It did pretty well against Tyranids in the game. The two Commanders deal very well with heavy, multi-wound models, while the Plasma Crisis are actually pretty good at taking out heavier infantry, or even softening lighter vehicles so that the Commanders can kill them more easily. They're also durable, and are fairly cheap for the amount of utility they have. Also, 6 Drones firing at 4+ BS actually really puts the hurt on lighter infantry units.

The Rail Rifle Pathfinder team is cool, but dies easily; it's mostly there to either draw enemy fire (while eating quite a bit due to the sturdy nature of their two drones) or punish the enemy for ignoring them.

The Marksman does what Marksmen do; he sits in cover and puts Markerlights on things, while being deceptively hard to kill in cover, and being ridiculously cheap for the amount of utility he gives.

Stealth Suits do what Stealth Suits do; they just sit there and don't die, holding objectives and getting a Commander wherever he wants to be.

So that's the list. Any comments or feedback?
I am a Christian.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Casual 1000 point list

Post#2 » Feb 04 2018 08:39

Looks like a good list! Two Fusion Commanders in a casual game might be pretty mean though ;)

How did the Plasma Rifle XV8s work out? I'd be curious to hear if they were effective.

Zadocfish
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 04 2018 11:07

They're always good. About as good as BCs for killing GEQ (because of wounding on 2+ instead of 3+, and denying any kind of basic armor save) but much better for killing MEQ and TEQ (because of that great AP), and they have the same great durability as every Crisis Team with a full compliment of Drones. They're also quite cost-effective for what they do, given that it's Crisis Suits we're talking about.

In the game I've played with this army, they played a pivotal role in killing a Sporocyst (with help from the Rail Pathfinders), a Trygon Prime (with help from a Fusionmander), and they finished off the final Warrior who was holding an objective. Having done this, they forcibly drew the fire from the opposing Tyrannofex, as it had no more Synapses to connect to; by eating both salvos, the Crisis team managed to win me the game by keeping it from killing my point-winners.

I'd say they did a fantastic job... next to the Commanders, they were the big MVPs.
I am a Christian.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Feb 04 2018 11:20

Zadocfish wrote:They're always good. About as good as BCs for killing GEQ (because of wounding on 2+ instead of 3+, and denying any kind of basic armor save) but much better for killing MEQ and TEQ (because of that great AP), and they have the same great durability as every Crisis Team with a full compliment of Drones. They're also quite cost-effective for what they do, given that it's Crisis Suits we're talking about.

In the game I've played with this army, they played a pivotal role in killing a Sporocyst (with help from the Rail Pathfinders), a Trygon Prime (with help from a Fusionmander), and they finished off the final Warrior who was holding an objective. Having done this, they forcibly drew the fire from the opposing Tyrannofex, as it had no more Synapses to connect to; by eating both salvos, the Crisis team managed to win me the game by keeping it from killing my point-winners.

I'd say they did a fantastic job... next to the Commanders, they were the big MVPs.

Thanks for the info. On paper I've always found Plasma Rifle XV8s to appear to have pretty solid damage, but the 12" effective range is what makes me nervous. It seems very risky drop drop so close to enemies, enemy units only need 3" of screening to render your firepower effectively useless. Have you had any range issues?

Zadocfish
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 04 2018 11:50

Arka0415 wrote:
Zadocfish wrote:They're always good. About as good as BCs for killing GEQ (because of wounding on 2+ instead of 3+, and denying any kind of basic armor save) but much better for killing MEQ and TEQ (because of that great AP), and they have the same great durability as every Crisis Team with a full compliment of Drones. They're also quite cost-effective for what they do, given that it's Crisis Suits we're talking about.

Thanks for the info. On paper I've always found Plasma Rifle XV8s to appear to have pretty solid damage, but the 12" effective range is what makes me nervous. It seems very risky drop drop so close to enemies, enemy units only need 3" of screening to render your firepower effectively useless. Have you had any range issues?

Not really. 6" makes a difference, but it only really changes target priority. Also, unlike Burst Cannons, they're not totally useless at longer ranges than 18". Really, you don't usually want to go after units that need screening with Plasma suits. They're not for taking big heavies or HQs; you have Commanders for that. They clear away objective-holders and they wreck the things the enemy uses for bubblewrap, and take out groups of elite infantry while usually remaining on the board for more than one turn. As for risks... it's interesting. It IS easy to get into close combat with a 12" drop-in, but for things like Genestealers or Harlequinns, 18" is just as dangerous. For other armies, it IS risky, but if you put them within 6" of your other forces, you can cripple most things that want to charge you on Overwatch. Crisis Suits are a tempting target; you can use that to your advantage, letting your durable suits eat enemy charges while the rest of your army gets into better positions.
I am a Christian.

Return to “Cadre Building”