1'250p Club League

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Technomagier
Shas'Saal

1'250p Club League

Post#1 » Feb 04 2018 05:15

Greetings from Germany.
My club will run a League for this year and I will get my feet wet with some competitive 8th T'au.
I'm aware that the new Codex will come soon, but we start the League probably in two weeks.
We use a tournament ruleset called TTM(TableTopMasters), and use some modifications for smaller games. The important rules for listbuilding are:
- 1'250p.
- No Lord of War or Titanic units. So no Ta'Unar or Stormsurge.
- Battleforged is mandatory and you can only use one single detachement.
- HQ, Fast Attack, Elite, Flyer, Heavy Support units can't be taken twice or more often.
- Datasheets for Troops and Dedicated Transport units can be taken up to three times.
- Every unit have to share the faction <Keyword>(ex. <Sept>, <Chapter>). Ynnari can exclude their HQ choices from this rule.
- GW beta rules are used.

My frist draft of the List:
Spoiler!
Battalion Detachement (+3 CP) <Sept> := Ma'Cross

HQ
1x Cadre Fireblade
1x Darkstrider
1x Longstrike

Troops
1x Breacher Team (Shas'ui, Guardian Drone)
1x Breacher Team (Shas'ui)
1x Strike Team (Shas'ui, 4 additional Fire Warriors)

Elites
1x Ghostkeel (Fusionblaster, Fusion Collider, Stim. Injector)

Fast Attack
1x Pathfinder (Shas'ui, Pulse Accelerator Drone)
1x Tactical Drones (Gun Drones)
1x Y'Vahra (Target Lock, Stim. Injector)

Dedicated Transport
1x Devilfish

My strategy is, to use the two Battlesuits as a distraction and to take enemy key units out.
The Y'Vahra is accompanied by the tactical drones, for the first turns.
The Breacher Teams sit together with Darkstrider in the Devilfish and take Objectives. A Mission is a pairing of some regular DoW Objectives and 6 Tactical Objectives.
Longstrike gives support against enemy key units.
The Fireblade works together with the Pathfinders and the Strike Team.

Any ideas or thoughts or stuff I've overlooked?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: 1'250p Club League

Post#2 » Feb 04 2018 07:03

Looks like a solid list! There are a few things to mention though. First, Darkstrider's combo only works on one Breacher team, not two, so you need to use a full 10-model squad of Breachers with him. Second, you probably shouldn't take individual drones, they give up First Blood/Kill Points too easily. Also, the Y'vahra may want to have accompanying Shield Drones, since it will be a priority target. For other wargear, the Ghostkeel needs a Target Lock, and the Strike Teams should probably have Markerlights Finally, your army seems to have a huge amount of anti-tank, with the Y'vahra, Ghostkeel, and Lonstrike taking up 70% of the list- I'd try out a CIR Ghostkeel instead.

Technomagier wrote:My strategy is, to use the two Battlesuits as a distraction and to take enemy key units out.
The Y'Vahra is accompanied by the tactical drones, for the first turns.

For the Y'vahra, don't think "distraction", think "lightning bolt of death". The Y'vahra packs huge firepower, but isn't that tough- you need it to charge into the enemy as fast as possible, dealing huge damage as early as you can.

Anyway, here's the list as I'd write it:

-

HQ - Darkstrider (45)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
HQ - Longstrike w/ Railgun, 2x Gun Drones (191)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors (40)
Troops - 10x Breachers (80)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - 5x Shield Drones (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Ionic Discharge Cannon, Phased Plasma Flamer, Target Lock, Stimulant Injector (412)

Total: 1249 - Command Points: 6 (1 Battalion Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Technomagier
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 05 2018 04:24

I like your variation.
I'm not sure if the additional pathfinder will bring a similar result to the accelerator drone, but I get the first blood hint. ;) I think I will try both versions here.
The Shield Drones are a nice touch to the Y'Vahra. I like it.
I'd known the problem with darkstrider, but I think you are right. The 5++ looks good on paper, but the Guardian Drone will die to fast. So the Darkstrider Buff could be better.
The Ghoskeel, I don't know. Is the Cyclic Ion Raker really that good, in 8th? About the Target Lock, I agree, but in my version, there were no points left for that. XD ATS is a thing I guess, but I don't know if it is worth it, compared to a 6+ FnP. I expect at least three Power Armor Factions in the league, so you could be right.

In the past, the Y'Vahra was always the first thing my opponents try to get rid off ASAP. They are afraid of him, since he destroyed an imperial knight all by himself in 7th, without loosing more than 2 wounds. XD But I think, that is a trick, that he can't pull of in 8th. But nonetheless the Y'Vahra and the Ghostkeel are looking intimidating, so they will become priority targets. That's why I called the a distraction.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Feb 05 2018 04:39

Technomagier wrote:I'm not sure if the additional pathfinder will bring a similar result to the accelerator drone, but I get the first blood hint. ;) I think I will try both versions here.

The Pulse Accelerator basically adds +3" to rapid-fire range, so personally I don't think it's worth the risk. Try it out though and let us know how it goes!

Technomagier wrote:The Ghoskeel, I don't know. Is the Cyclic Ion Raker really that good, in 8th?

The CIR+2xBC Ghostkeel offers a decent threat against both infantry and light vehicles. It should be able to kill 4-5 Space Marines in shooting, or 3-4 wounds from light vehicles. The Fusion Ghostkeel of course offers better damage against vehicles (6-7 wounds), but is more expensive. If you think you need more anti-vehicle firepower, then definitely use the Fusion Ghostkeel. However, it looks like you have lots of anti-vehicle firepower already :)

Technomagier wrote:...since he destroyed an imperial knight all by himself in 7th, without loosing more than 2 wounds. XD But I think, that is a trick, that he can't pull of in 8th.

Kill a Knight in one turn? Maybe not, but the Y'vahra can get close- the Y'vahra should be able to deal 15-16 damage to a Knight, which is fantastic- you can easily finish off the last few wounds with a Fusion Commander!

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Feb 05 2018 11:19

Not taking a Fusion Commander is committing suicide before the game starts. Since you only have one commander to choose, take the QFC.

Technomagier
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Feb 05 2018 11:42

A QFC is too expensive in this setup, and what could it provide for this list what isn't already there? And what you give up, to bring it in?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 05 2018 01:49

Technomagier wrote:A QFC is too expensive in this setup, and what could it provide for this list what isn't already there? And what you give up, to bring it in?

Uhh, QFC's are cheaper than the Longstrike and the Ghostkeel you've brought and it does a better job. I'm confused with your statement and your question. Replace either/both of those units.

Technomagier
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 05 2018 03:40

The Ghostkeel can't be replaced with a commander, thanks to the limitations of the detachement. And Longstrike looks right now, more durable, than a single commander.
A single QFC without Drone Support is dead meat(Tax). And to get a decent amount of drones in one unit, I see only two ways. Tac drone swarms, which I can't use again, thanks the the Y'Vahra. And a Crisis unit, which isn't useful in this kind of list, b/c of their big deep strike footprint. Also the QFC could need the support of a stealth suit unit to get close enough, after a manta strike, for the re-roll. So the QFC would also be a totally different playstyle. And I'm pretty sure, my opponents would predict, that kind of playstyle.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Feb 05 2018 03:58

Technomagier wrote:The Ghostkeel can't be replaced with a commander, thanks to the limitations of the detachement. And Longstrike looks right now, more durable, than a single commander.
A single QFC without Drone Support is dead meat(Tax). And to get a decent amount of drones in one unit, I see only two ways. Tac drone swarms, which I can't use again, thanks the the Y'Vahra. And a Crisis unit, which isn't useful in this kind of list, b/c of their big deep strike footprint. Also the QFC could need the support of a stealth suit unit to get close enough, after a manta strike, for the re-roll. So the QFC would also be a totally different playstyle. And I'm pretty sure, my opponents would predict, that kind of playstyle.

Didn't see it was a single detachment, my apologies. Definitely replace Longstrike. Take the QFC with shield drones for 15 points cheaper than you get with Longstrike. QFC's are perfectly fine without stealth suits and without extra drones. Lots of players are switching from the beacon drop because yes it is predictable and a lot of points for something that's not even really necessary since QFC puts out sooo much damage anyway. Trust me, you won't go wrong with having him in there.

Technomagier
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Feb 05 2018 05:14

Hrm. I guess it is smth, I have to test. Currently I'm a little bit sceptic. The QFC looks so fragile, even with two shield drones.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#11 » Feb 05 2018 07:27

Technomagier wrote:Hrm. I guess it is smth, I have to test. Currently I'm a little bit sceptic. The QFC looks so fragile, even with two shield drones.

I didn't think you had a Commander in your collection seeing as you weren't fielding one. If you have one available, definitely use it. The Fusion Commander's damage output is more than 300% of Longstrike's damage. There's a reason why no competitive Tau lists run Longstrike and nearly all of them run 3+ Fusion Commanders. It may look flimsy, but it's really, really good.

You can definitely drop the Ghostkeel in favor of the Fusion Commander, just drop the Fireblade too and you'll have room!

steelmanf
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Feb 06 2018 01:38

Technomagier wrote:Hrm. I guess it is smth, I have to test. Currently I'm a little bit sceptic. The QFC looks so fragile, even with two shield drones.

Just remember that there is one thing that makes Commanders MORE durable than Longstrike, the Character keyword. Longstrike can, and likely will be, targeted early to remove him as a threat, since he has more than 10 wounds. With a little practice in the placement of a Mantra Striking Commander, that keyword will make him untargetable altogether, at least for a little while.

Another, slightly cheaper loadout to consider with the Commander might also be 3x Cyclic Ion Blasters + ATS. Won't have to get within 9" to get full use of his weapons, more flexibility to take on elite units or vehicles.

The Advanced Targeting System, by the way, is also a very nice piece of equipment to have. The only place you'll never want to use it is with Fusion Blasters/Collider or Plasma Rifles, as their AP is already sufficient.

Return to “Cadre Building”