For those who don't like using Commanders in lists

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

For those who don't like using Commanders in lists

Post#1 » Feb 05 2018 01:31

For those of you who don't like using commanders in lists or commander spam, I tried something over the weekend after my very lovely feel good win over BA http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=27263&p=346430#p346430.

I was going to be playing against a codex wielding opponent using Ultramarines and Papa Smurf but he's not the greatest player in the world so I tried a list with no y'varha and no commanders. It was going to be rough.

My opponent had lots of primaris in intercessors and hell blasters or whatever the plasma toting ones are and a stormraven and I had longstrike with 2 of the forgeworld HYMP hammerheads and CIB toting XV-8's. I took 3 7 man pathfinder squads with 3 ions each and darkstrider with breachers in a fish and some other stuff. Stormraven easily removed Longstrike on top of turn 1 leaving me really on the back foot as far as hammerhead synergy as well as losing a bunch of pathfinders due to bolter fire from the flying boxcar.

Long story short is I feel like we need to spend WAY too much time focusing on units for multiple turns before they are removed when you are using supbar shooting units.

This is also compounded by the fact that it is still far too easy to remove our core mechanic in markerlights when you use pathfinders. I love them but they still need something for durability before I go back to using them. Breachers definitely hurt the one squad you dump them on but they are still a one trick pony and an expensive one at that when you add in darkstrider and a fish. Ethereal still just sits around doing a whole lot of nothing even with a bunch of infantry. Papa Smurf allowing all his units to reroll everything within 6" is still soooo good that even when it was minimally used it was incredibly impactful on that portion of the board.

This thread isn't a gripe but merely insight that you are severely handicapping yourself if you don't take commanders in some form with the state our index is in. If you refuse to use them but "want to have a competitive list" you're currently out of luck. Nothing comes close to their on the board effectiveness.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Re: For those who don't like using Commanders in lists

Post#2 » Feb 05 2018 03:00

I accept that quad fusion commanders are better, but fusion cascade XV9's with early morning override kick spacemarine arse.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 05 2018 03:30

K'Pokk wrote:I accept that quad fusion commanders are better, but fusion cascade XV9's with early morning override kick spacemarine arse.

Can't wait for hardwired systems again!

BillyBones
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Feb 05 2018 04:43

Tau have suffered greatly in the new edition, not only some of the key stuff got much more expensive, even thou in some cases we can dish out ridiculous amount of firepower (tripple CIB, gun drones with DC) the wound system makes this boost much worse than last edition.

In last edition with double CIB build I was able to scratach an inperial knight with ease (drop behid it and put those S7 into its 12 armour, usually there was enough 5s and 6s wiht no save), now there has to be many more wounds with a save. Wift infantry it is nice to be able to take on storm raven, but it takes at least two units of FWs with 5MLs and a cadre fireblade close by rapid firing into it to bring it down. Something similar goes for a rhino, which previously could be wiht only a little bit of luck taken out in a single round with long range fire of the same two FW squads with ML support.

Return to “Cadre Building”