XV8 team 2 outfitting

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Nitrogue
Shas

XV8 team 2 outfitting

Post#1 » Feb 08 2018 08:47

Hi All

Just wanted to run this idea by some more experienced players to make sure i got the right end of the stick.

I have 2 three man XV8 teams from the start collecting box sets (which also provides the limit to my options).

As per suggestions from a previous post, going to be outfitting 1 team with 8 fusion blasters for a anti vehicle/tank role, but not 100% sure on what to do with the other team. Was thinking a anti-mass/infrantry build after getting swept away in a 600pt game when a group of 20 poxwalkers were able to get amongst my pathfinders and strike teams and there wasnt much i could do with that.

My idea is fitting each of the remaining suits with 2 flamers and a burst cannon. would have gone for more flamers if i had them.

So thoughts on the mater would be useful. Currently in the process of magnetising the hardpoints, so don't have to worry about be permanently stuck to a loadout. Again, my weapon choice for the time being is limited to what you can get in two XV8 boxes.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: XV8 team 2 outfitting

Post#2 » Feb 08 2018 09:06

If that is all you have then from a purely Mathhammer point of view, you're better adding an ATS rather than a burst cannon. You'll be killing 1.75 marines on average per suit vs 1.5 with the burst cannon.

You might also want to consider the 2 drone options for an anti infantry:
1. 6 gun drones, with one suit having a drone controller, giving you 24 extra S5 BS4+ shots a turn
1. Several shield drones, to protect your suits until they can get into flamer range (especially helpful if you don't have stealth suits and a homing beacon)

Cgreeves
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 08 2018 03:06

Even with limited options I would say that you should MAGNETISE. I wish I had been given that advice when I started tau. You will be thankful later, especially with the codex due to drop

gunrock
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 08 2018 04:08

Nitrogue wrote:Hi All

As per suggestions from a previous post, going to be outfitting 1 team with 8 fusion blasters for a anti vehicle/tank role, but not 100% sure on what to do with the other team. Was thinking a anti-mass/infrantry build after getting swept away in a 600pt game when a group of 20 poxwalkers were able to get amongst my pathfinders and strike teams and there wasnt much i could do with that.

A good short reference can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27259

Full fusion is alright, I think most people tend to run their anti-tank fusion blaster on commanders if they have that option, but it's not the worst load out. A common crossover load out is 6x fusion, 3x flamer, 6x gun drones, which is intended as an anti-armor load out with some options against infantry.

The burst cannon is sort of the ugly duckling of XV-8 load outs, and usually gets overshadowed by full flamers load outs or CIB x8 + DC. CIB is really the best all purpose weapon for XV- 8. Here's a full thread with a lot more information on why CIB is so popular.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27079&p=344346&hilit=CIB+revisiting#p344346

I know you mentioned being limited to what comes in the start collecting boxes, but it's easy to get extra bits from red dog mini's. If you buy the dual CIB blasters it will only cost you 9 dollars to equip the squad as 6x CIB ATS. This would be my recommendation, and IMHO totally worth the expense.
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 09 2018 07:09

Cgreeves wrote:Even with limited options I would say that you should MAGNETISE. I wish I had been given that advice when I started tau. You will be thankful later, especially with the codex due to drop

already one step ahead of you. only blu-tacced weapons on my first xv8s, and now that I have a drill currently magnetising the weapons

gunrock wrote:Full fusion is alright, I think most people tend to run their anti-tank fusion blaster on commanders if they have that option, but it's not the worst load out. A common crossover load out is 6x fusion, 3x flamer, 6x gun drones, which is intended as an anti-armor load out with some options against infantry.

The burst cannon is sort of the ugly duckling of XV-8 load outs, and usually gets overshadowed by full flamers load outs or CIB x8 + DC. CIB is really the best all purpose weapon for XV- 8. Here's a full thread with a lot more information on why CIB is so popular.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27079&p=344346&hilit=CIB+revisiting#p344346

I know you mentioned being limited to what comes in the start collecting boxes, but it's easy to get extra bits from red dog mini's. If you buy the dual CIB blasters it will only cost you 9 dollars to equip the squad as 6x CIB ATS. This would be my recommendation, and IMHO totally worth the expense.

don't have commanders yet, so no qfcs at the mo.

tried a mix and match option in the aforementioned match, flamer guy never got into range so was first to go from that squad.

considering getting some 3d weapons in the near future but for time being wanted some stuff made up so that I can do some matches.

pilky wrote:If that is all you have then from a purely Mathhammer point of view, you're better adding an ATS rather than a burst cannon. You'll be killing 1.75 marines on average per suit vs 1.5 with the burst cannon.

1. 6 gun drones, with one suit having a drone controller, giving you 24 extra S5 BS4+ shots a turn
1. Several shield drones, to protect your suits until they can get into flamer range (especially helpful if you don't have stealth suits and a homing beacon)

good points with the maths, currently had the burst cannon added so that they xv8s had something to do rather than sit out a turn and get picked on whilst they are out of range. how would the maths work out on the intended target of light mass infantry like the pox walkers?

in terms of drones will probably go for more offensive options as saviour protocols land mortal wounds, and I don't think people will be aiming at the drones, so having shield drones isn't much point (correct if wrong)

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Feb 09 2018 07:36

Nitrogue wrote:
pilky wrote:If that is all you have then from a purely Mathhammer point of view, you're better adding an ATS rather than a burst cannon. You'll be killing 1.75 marines on average per suit vs 1.5 with the burst cannon.

good points with the maths, currently had the burst cannon added so that they xv8s had something to do rather than sit out a turn and get picked on whilst they are out of range. how would the maths work out on the intended target of light mass infantry like the pox walkers?

in terms of drones will probably go for more offensive options as saviour protocols land mortal wounds, and I don't think people will be aiming at the drones, so having shield drones isn't much point (correct if wrong)

My maths was slightly out on the burst cannon option (forgot they'd be wounding on 3s vs marines) so it's 1.75 for ATS vs 1.61 for burst cannon. For light infantry you'll be better with the burst cannon as you get the following:

ATS vs Burst cannon
Pox walkers: 3.1 vs 4
Orks: 3.5 vs 4.03
Guard: 3.8 vs 4

For drones, it's the toss up between the 4 shots per gun drone vs the 5+ feel no pain of the shield drone. You'll kill a lot more infantry with the gun drones, but you'll be passing an average of 8 mortal wounds onto the shield drones thanks to that save, vs just 6 for the gun drones

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 10 2018 06:17

Is the fnp come from the faqs?

flicked through the CA and looked through the index and haven't seen them, but may have missed something.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 12 2018 08:44

Nitrogue wrote:Is the fnp come from the faqs?

flicked through the CA and looked through the index and haven't seen them, but may have missed something.

Yes, shield drones getting a 5+++ was in the FAQ prior to the CA release.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 12 2018 09:13

Yojimbob wrote:
Nitrogue wrote:Is the fnp come from the faqs?

Yes, shield drones getting a 5+++ was in the FAQ prior to the CA release.

Can't wait for the codex, hopefully all of this information will end up in one place to refer from, rather than "here, there and everywhere"

Return to “Cadre Building”