How do you get markerlights ?

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
tumling
Shas

How do you get markerlights ?

Post#1 » Feb 11 2018 04:03

I am 100 % newbie when it comes to Tau, so i have a question i hope you can help me with.

I understand the importance of markerlights and how they can greatly buff our shooting phase.

However, it seems like it´s very hard to get multiple markerlights in the army.

As far as i understand it, the leader of the firewarriors and some other units have a markerligt.
But one single markerlight in each unit doesnt seem to be that much.

So how do you get lots of markerlight so you can target multiple targets with markerlights ?

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Re: How do you get markerlights ?

Post#2 » Feb 11 2018 04:23

Pathfinders and Marker Drones are the best sources of "bulk" Markerlights. Many other individual models carry them as well including Firewarrior Shas'Ui, Stealth Shas'Vre, Cadre Fireblade, Firesight Marksman, Skyray, Tetra, XV84 Battlesuit, Sensor Tower, etc.

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 11 2018 04:27

I find it best to use a Fireblade’s markerlight first, then shoot the pathfinders marker lights because then the pathfinders get to re-roll ones. This lets you average more markerlight hits to get the precious 5 hits. Markerlight drones are ok, they are much better when paired with a suit that has a drone controller to up them to BS 4+.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

GI-Redshirt
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Feb 11 2018 05:07

There are three dedicated Markerlight units currently. Pathfinders and Marker Drones are the two principle ML sources within the Tau Index, as well as Tetras from Forge World. These three units exist solely to provide ML support to the rest of the army. There are also quite a few units that can provide ML support in a pinch, but it isn't their main role. Fireblades and Firesight Marksmen both have very accurate MLs (hitting on 2+ and 3+ respectively). I don't classify them as dedicated ML units as they serve other roles as well. Sky Rays and Sun Sharks also each have MLs, though these are generally meant more for self buffing than army supporting. And, as you said, some unit leaders (Fire Warrior Shas'Uis and Stealth Suit Team Shas'Vres) can take ML for occasional support when needed.

General rule of thumb for Tau is to always have at least 2 dedicated ML units in your army (Pathfinders or Marker Drones generally), with a handful of individual MLs sprinkled in throughout the rest of your army. Most players know to target MLs first and foremost when fighting Tau, so you always wanna make sure you have back ups for when they start to die.

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Feb 11 2018 09:41

There's also an academy article on markerlight philosophy here, if you haven't already read it: http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26234
Ka'ash Sept

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 12 2018 04:23

Newbie here also.

Using the start collecting box, you can get a few MLs from strike/breacher team shas'ui, and a few marker drones. At that stage (~500pts) probably only have enough MLs to accurately hit 3 times, which for that army would only really benefit from the first ml.

One of my next purchases was a pathfinder team. as stated above, very useful being able to let off dedicated ml without worrying too much about being down almost 10% of your guns due to opting your shas'ui to fire a ml.

one tip i have come across and use is to role ml one at a time, especially when trying to get the first ml on a unit. subsequent ml can benefit from the first hit, but not retrospectively (i.e. misses that came before the hit) if aiming for the 5 ml bonus, roll individually until you get the first, and then roll the rest in groups until you have what you want.

RoboBonobo
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 12 2018 02:33

T0nka mentioned the XV-84 commander variant. It comes with a hard mounted target lock and networked markerlight leaving it with only 2 points to add weapons/support systems after this. It automatically applies a single marker hit when any of its shots successfully hit (whether they subsequently wound or not) and this is featured on a BS2+ model with all of the usual toys a suit could want. Use the same as mentioned above for setting your Pathfinders up with the rerolling 1s before unloading the big guns.

This cat can be dropped in manta style to put it within range of all weapon choices other than the flamer (Not worth wasting the BS imo). Granted the Fireblade has the same BS but depending on what you are painting and what will be shooting at it after you have ML'd it it's worth noting the 84.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 12 2018 02:52

RoboBonobo wrote:T0nka mentioned the XV-84 commander variant. It comes with a hard mounted target lock and networked markerlight leaving it with only 2 points to add weapons/support systems after this. It automatically applies a single marker hit when any of its shots successfully hit (whether they subsequently wound or not) and this is featured on a BS2+ model with all of the usual toys a suit could want. Use the same as mentioned above for setting your Pathfinders up with the rerolling 1s before unloading the big guns.

This cat can be dropped in manta style to put it within range of all weapon choices other than the flamer (Not worth wasting the BS imo). Granted the Fireblade has the same BS but depending on what you are painting and what will be shooting at it after you have ML'd it it's worth noting the 84.

I was using him with an all commander list but had to drop it due to forgeworld restrictions but he's got a 99.923% with missile pods to put a ML on a target. Pretty good odds. I recommend using him to light a big target and start the commander chain of pain.

Return to “Cadre Building”