Burst cannon or Fusion blaster for stealth suits?

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
tumling
Shas

Burst cannon or Fusion blaster for stealth suits?

Post#1 » Feb 12 2018 04:20

I am new with Tau, so there´s a lot of questions popping up in my head.

Right now I am assembling 6 stealth suits and i am not sure if i should fit them all with burst cannons or put a fusion blaster for every 3 i assemble.

So i want to ask you for advice since you have much more experience with Tau. Shall i just go for burst cannons and save fusion blasters for other units or it is a good idea to have a single fusion blaster in each group for the versatility it can add to the group ?

Martensite
Shas

Re: Burst cannon for Fusion blaster for stealth suits

Post#2 » Feb 12 2018 04:29

Magnetize both weapons and enjoy the freedom of choice. :D
A roll of 4+ fails 75% of the time... every time.

tumling
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 12 2018 04:39

I know i can just magnetize the Fusion Blaster, but i really hate to magnetize.

Normally i only magnetize bigger things.

But i am interested to know if you are mostly using burst cannons for all or add a fusion blaster

nbsp
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 12 2018 04:59

I read a good breakdown of the sort of role that the stealth suits will fulfil and the other sorts of units in the force and decided tgat I was going to go all burst cannon :) (it was on att but search is hard on my phone)

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Feb 12 2018 06:28

If you don't want to magnetize I'd put a Fusion Blaster on it; it is always less confusing and easier to say
"He looks special but isn't"
than
"See this model which looks like any else? This one has a special weapon."

Even for you if you realize you just removed the model which had the Fusion Blaster.
Happens to my friend quite often.
"Sorry bro, you don't have a Thunderhammer anymore. You removed that model last turn."

tumling
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 12 2018 06:52

Thanx for all your replies.

I have assembled them all with Burst Cannons.

I will just buy another box of Stealth Suits and assemble them with Fusion Blasters.
Then i have both options to chose from.

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 12 2018 07:08

tumling wrote:Thanx for all your replies.

I have assembled them all with Burst Cannons.

I will just buy another box of Stealth Suits and assemble them with Fusion Blasters.
Then i have both options to chose from.

The magic of money..!

Zadocfish
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 13 2018 01:04

That's kind of a waste of money compared to just buying some magnets...
I am a Christian.

Shaso jas’la Harr’ia
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 13 2018 05:22

I like to take my stealth suits with all burst cannons and advanced targeting systems. The -1 makes them sting that bit more. Makes them a good distraction unit after they’ve acheived they’re mission with the homing beacon.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Feb 13 2018 06:05

Zadocfish wrote:That's kind of a waste of money compared to just buying some magnets...

It's like, £12:50 for another set, some people might value their time over the messing around of magnetising and painting extra parts, then hoping they don't go missing.

I see people magnetising the arms on whole squads of firewarriors/pathfindes and I couldn't imagine anything worse.

Each to their own.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Feb 13 2018 09:59

PeeJ wrote:
Zadocfish wrote:That's kind of a waste of money compared to just buying some magnets...

It's like, £12:50 for another set, some people might value their time over the messing around of magnetising and painting extra parts, then hoping they don't go missing.

I see people magnetising the arms on whole squads of firewarriors/pathfindes and I couldn't imagine anything worse.

Each to their own.

Is that some sort of Ethereal form of torture...you know...for the greater good...
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Feb 13 2018 10:07

In 7th, having the Shas'Vre carry another fusion was a good way to make sure that tough target died just in case the rest of your army missed. In 8th, they play a bit of a different role. For the most part, they serve as a homing beacon delivery tool. After that, their firepower is almost negligible, but their staying power is nearly legendary. The way I use them is to deliver a beacon then screen charges (make sure to throw some photon grenades at the chargers as well if you can....-2 in CC...nasty), zone out deep strikers, or camp an objective (preferably in cover). They are ridiculously hard to shoot off of an objective. When you are scoring points, often your opponent has no choice but to dedicate something to taking them out, which means they aren't putting as much firepower into your main force.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Feb 13 2018 11:24

CDR_Farsight wrote:In 7th, having the Shas'Vre carry another fusion was a good way to make sure that tough target died just in case the rest of your army missed. In 8th, they play a bit of a different role. For the most part, they serve as a homing beacon delivery tool. After that, their firepower is almost negligible, but their staying power is nearly legendary. The way I use them is to deliver a beacon then screen charges (make sure to throw some photon grenades at the chargers as well if you can....-2 in CC...nasty), zone out deep strikers, or camp an objective (preferably in cover). They are ridiculously hard to shoot off of an objective. When you are scoring points, often your opponent has no choice but to dedicate something to taking them out, which means they aren't putting as much firepower into your main force.

I agree, I’ve had a unit of six stealth suits soak up literally a whole armies worth of shooting. Throw a shield generator on one and watch how long they stick around.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

War horse1
Shas

Re: Burst cannon or Fusion blaster for stealth suits?

Post#14 » Feb 14 2018 05:11

The benifits of taking stealth suits are really worth taking them. 

The ability to deploy strait onto an objective is briliant, although be careful as if you put then strait into the opponants firing or charge range is worrying. But the -1 to hit helps here as it works in melee and shooting.

This deployment ability also means you can use them as area denial for deepstriking units, which helps against a 1st turn charge. 

They are very resilient. The 2+ save in cover, -1 to hit and 2 shield drones means they can tank a lot of wounds before being brought down. 
You can even put a shield gen on the fusion carryer for a bit extra. 

The homing becon means that you can get either your flamer XV8s into range to fire or your QFC into melta range. This is done by deploying close to the enemy and move and advancing to get the right spot to deploy homing becon. 

The fact that taking a supprt system without losing a gun is rather handy, take ATS on the burst cannon to give it a bit of extra (in my opinion always take the ATS on the burst cannons, you already have enough sources of S5 AP0 weapons from drones and FW.) And the fusion carryer can take a multi tracker to reroll 1s or a DC (if you take marker drones and plan to drop crisis suits in with them, other wise its not worth it) or a shield gen for added durability as mentioned before. 

If the opponant knows you have a homing becon and QFC they will dedicate fire power to try and kill the stealth suits, which means there not targeting other units, this is good as a distraction tactic, and when you think about it deploying the commander at 18" really isnt that bad if you lose them. 

If you take them in units of 3 you never suffer the penalties of morale which is handy you don't want to lose a 40-50ish point model.

As for the fusion blaster burst cannon debate. It depends on your army list if you already have enough fusion blasters in your army, in the form of commanders or ghost keels then go with the burst with ats, if not then add a fusion. It also depends on your opponent. Orks tyranids or guardsman (light infantry spam) go burst ats. Armys with good saves (space marines, necrons.) It doesnt hurt to take another fusion blaster. Also looking at the performance of stealth suits themselves, 4+ BS is not great so the 1 shot of the fusion blaster is a gamble. This is mitigated by multi trackers and markerlights. The 4 shots of the burst cannon is less of a gamble because of the 4 shots but doesnt convert into wounds as good. Also looking at positioning if your going to put them into charge range of the opponant burst cannons perform better in overwatch.
These things need to be considered. Id suggest magnetizing and testing both to see what works for you.

Return to “Cadre Building”