Own personal sept fluff

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Nitrogue
Shas

Own personal sept fluff

Post#1 » Jan 16 2018 11:54

So currently creating my own Sept with its own armour given their situation, just wondered if people could give their thoughts/ any suggestions to pad it out/ make it more realistic.

So I present the lost sept of T'ron:

Founded during the Second Sphere of Expansion as a small scientific colony to study the Immaterium and any possible improvement to their FTL travel systems.

One such manipulation of the Immaterium created a small, brief, but altogether fatal warp portal within the T'ron system's star, causing it to go supernova. This caused the system to be flung apart, and the colony sped off into deep space.

On T'au the Ethereal Council knew that if such knowledge of the failed experiment reached the general population, then the current expansion might stall, with the T'au species then turning on itself to direct its focus. As such they decided to strike off all record, written or otherwise, so that no-one but a select few, high ranking individuals knew the colony ever existed.

But the colony wasn't destroyed. Those on the surface knew that they could not leave, as if they did and got lost, they would not be able to find the rogue planet again and so would be trapped to wander deep space forever. Instead they developed technologies to survive in the pitch darkness of interstellar space. One such development lead to the abundance of lighting strips now found on suits, vehicles and buildings.

After many centuries of wandering nowhere, the rogue planet has now been caught by a new star and has established a stable orbit with it. The lost Sept of T'ron is now ready to rejoin the fray.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Re: Own personal sept fluff

Post#2 » Jan 16 2018 03:41

Excellently dramatic and overblown way to theme your colourscheme a-la Tron ;) I like it...

Also reminds me of SPACE 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsmefY94E_0

:P :P :biggrin:

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 19 2018 11:27

K'Pokk wrote:Excellently dramatic and overblown way to theme your colourscheme a-la Tron ;) I like it...

Also reminds me of SPACE 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsmefY94E_0

:P :P :biggrin:

Other option for colour scheme was a secret black ops group, but i felt science gone wrong was more for Tau

Ok, never heard of SPACE 1999 before, but yes it does seem like ive carbon copied it based off that intro, though on a bigger scale. :)

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 19 2018 11:47

Nitrogue wrote:One such manipulation of the Immaterium created a small, brief, but altogether fatal warp portal within the T'ron system's star, causing it to go supernova. This caused the system to be flung apart, and the colony sped off into deep space.

I think that a star going supernova would pretty much always lead to the destruction of any planets in the system. To get the planet thrown out into deep space you would need some other celestial body suddenly changing orbit and throwing other orbits into chaos - maybe some experiment gone wrong moves a moon's location or some massive warp engine attached to the side of the planet generates far more thrust than expected and changes its orbit?

Nitrogue wrote:But the colony wasn't destroyed. Those on the surface knew that they could not leave, as if they did and got lost, they would not be able to find the rogue planet again and so would be trapped to wander deep space forever. Instead they developed technologies to survive in the pitch darkness of interstellar space. One such development lead to the abundance of lighting strips now found on suits, vehicles and buildings.

I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at, but I think the temperature at the surface would fall very rapidly, tending towards absolute zero. The only way for the Tau to survive would be to stay underground where they could use their own power sources. Also the atmosphere might liquefy, which would explain why nobody could get off?

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 20 2018 06:39

Good points, both had considered. The supernova yes would destroy the system, but if i had something go wrong with the star that caused the planet to get flung out, it would happen very slowly, which would then lead to the argument of why didn't they just abandon the planet.

The getting cold point could be explained away by the advanced tech they developed, but that then needs time to develop and isn't really a crisis research thing, again leading back to the slow loss alternative.

Like the idea about a liquid atmosphere.

Overall I'm an engineer, i like numbers, not very good with words so help with this sort of thing is good.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Jan 20 2018 08:03

What if the planet orbited the star very distantly, and when the star died out, exploded, collapsed, or decayed (or maybe was sucked into the Great Rift?), the planet ended up outside the it's former sun's gravity well, spinning off into extra-solar space under the influence of it's old orbital momentum?

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 20 2018 08:11

Arka0415 wrote:What if the planet orbited the star very distantly, and when the star died out, exploded, collapsed, or decayed (or maybe was sucked into the Great Rift?), the planet ended up outside the it's former sun's gravity well, spinning off into extra-solar space under the influence of it's old orbital momentum?

I see the point better now actually. How about the warp generator, instead of causing it to go supernova, just sort of stops the core working and so just stops any light being given off? (I think there's a film where this happens?)
Or the Great Rift idea would work, given that it happened about 200 years before the 'present day' in universe so the time span seems about right.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 20 2018 08:18

Watcher on the wall wrote:I see the point better now actually. How about the warp generator, instead of causing it to go supernova, just sort of stops the core working and so just stops any light being given off? (I think there's a film where this happens?)
Or the Great Rift idea would work, given that it happened about 200 years before the 'present day' in universe so the time span seems about right.

The idea is to find a way to explain the lightless, wandering planet, right?

The whole idea of a planet being lost in the dark, and showing up somewhere else, sounds like a great way to work in the Warp I think.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 21 2018 04:38

Arka0415 wrote:What if the planet orbited the star very distantly, and when the star died out, exploded, collapsed, or decayed (or maybe was sucked into the Great Rift?), the planet ended up outside the it's former sun's gravity well, spinning off into extra-solar space under the influence of it's old orbital momentum?

That seems a lot more plausible.

Watcher on the wall wrote:Or the Great Rift idea would work, given that it happened about 200 years before the 'present day' in universe so the time span seems about right.

The great rift could work. I originally went for a failed experiment because then it was reasonable for all records to be removed, creating the "lost" status and why no one knows about it.

Arka0415 wrote:The idea is to find a way to explain the lightless, wandering planet, right?

The whole idea of a planet being lost in the dark, and showing up somewhere else, sounds like a great way to work in the Warp I think.

That was my idea, going for a Tron suit-like paint job, and wanted some fluff to back it up. I suppose another option is that they colonised a planet really far out in the system (Pluto?) and so next to no light gets to it. Could do it for a unique resource found only on that planet. But then that wouldn't really explain how theres no record of them. Unless go for super secret experiments (Warp?) that were so risky and possible renegade that so few people know about them because so few knew about them in the first place.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 21 2018 05:06

Nitrogue wrote:That was my idea, going for a Tron suit-like paint job, and wanted some fluff to back it up. I suppose another option is that they colonised a planet really far out in the system (Pluto?) and so next to no light gets to it. Could do it for a unique resource found only on that planet. But then that wouldn't really explain how theres no record of them. Unless go for super secret experiments (Warp?) that were so risky and possible renegade that so few people know about them because so few knew about them in the first place.

How about a mix of the two - a secret warp facility at the edge of the system? Or, you could have the facility be located somewhere in interstellar space (I think deep space stations are mentioned in the codex), which means pretty much absolute secrecy and absolutely no natural light?

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 21 2018 05:16

Watcher on the wall wrote:How about a mix of the two - a secret warp facility at the edge of the system? Or, you could have the facility be located somewhere in interstellar space (I think deep space stations are mentioned in the codex), which means pretty much absolute secrecy and absolutely no natural light?

I like the deep space idea. Given the Tau's limited warp FTL capabilities, makes sense. Still like the exploding/dying star idea, more dramatic, but this is far more reasonable/realisitic.

Ko'Vas Vaal
Shas

Post#12 » Feb 07 2018 04:06

Well if you are still interested in a dying star situation, this might help generate a plausible option for it happening.

When a star begins to die but before it eventually supernovas, the star goes through changes in its nuclear fusion process. As the lighter elements start to run out, the fusion process has to find other elements for the process resulting in the fusion reaction utilizing the heavier / denser material contained with in the star. This ends up causing the star to grow in size due to the reaction energy from the new elements being used, but at the same time the density of the star shrinks from the lost of heavier elements that are being used.

During this time of the star, the gravitational pull from the star can start to dwindle or fluctuate due to the gravitational strength being based off the density of the star. Now with that happened the inertia acting on the planet is constantly trying to move in a straight line through space but the star's gravitational pull acting on the planet is what causes the planet's orbit. Now when a star beings this process the gravitational effects can be negligible on effecting the planets with the star system but can also have a great effect depending on star size and a planet distance away.

So using a little sci-fi magic and the effect of said experiment you brought up for the Sept's backstory, the planet could end up drifting into space under the following situation:

The Sept were immensely focused on the development of a secret project that they never noticed the signs of changes happening within their own planetary star. Upon the prototypes first test fire, the planet's star underwent a significant atomic adjustment from deep within its nuclear fusion core effecting the stars overall dominance with the star system. As the prototype began to fire, alarms sounded through out the facitiy as sensors approached critial as the safety systems failed to contain the massive energy. The desicion was made to vent the contained energy resultanting an immense energy burst resembling the birth of a forming black hole. Unknown to the planet, this energy burst increased the planet's inertial momentum as the planetary star had a flux among its gravitational pull. Thus it was too late; the planet's momentum overpowered the new strength of the planetary star and began its path drifting away from the light into the cold depth of space.

Upon the planet entering into drifting through out space, the planet's core would still function and produce heat, however with no planetary star, the surface and atmosphere would freeze but the magnetic field around the planet would remain and help protect the planet surface. The Sept would have to move underground or utilize some other form of technology to stay warm.

This is my take on how to include a dramatic event you were looking for as well as a possibility for how it could happen.
Last edited by Ko'Vas Vaal on Feb 08 2018 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Nitrogue
Shas

Post#13 » Feb 08 2018 07:58

Thanks Ko'Vas Vaal. Another great grounded back story.

Return to “Library”