Comments on the Official Tau Timeline

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Lyi'ot
Por'O

Re: Comments on the Official Tau Timeline

Post#21 » Aug 03 2013 07:25

Calmsword wrote:I'll look up Firewarrior ASAP, however, I'm pretty sure 'Aun'O Kath'lan is in communication with the forces around Dolumar and the Shas'Ar'Tol discusses the end of the ceasefire with humanity which would mean the 3rd Sphere, no?

The Tau and Imperium have fought so many times since Dal'yth that it's hard for me to think that there was any official ceasefire that ended with the launch of the Third Sphere. I mean, within years the Tau have launched reclamation fleets back across the Gulf.

Kael'yn wrote:Reviewing the Xenology Book (IIRC there was discussion about its material is canon or not)
Calmsword has expressed the opinion that is no longer canon. I assume that it's canon, just a book that's slowly getting older and slowly being overwritten. Thank you for the reference to Becuba's Hope; I'll look into it and get it on the timeline.

Doombringer
Drill Shas

Post#22 » Aug 03 2013 01:51

Fire Warrior is set sometime between the Damocles Gulf Crusade and the Third Sphere Expansion.

There is exposition in the novel of a small number brushfire skirmishes taking place since the Dal'yth ceasefire, though its placement on the timeline is made difficult by the fact that Ultramarines 3rd Company Captain Ardias died fighting Hive Fleet Behemoth in 745.M41.

I take a patchwork approach to correcting this issue and assume that Simon Spurrier overlooked this bit of info, and thus Captain Ardias in the novel should be whoever replaced him post-Macragge.

The presence of a tau Emissary-class cruiser, which I previously took to mean it should be contemporary with the Third Sphere, is no longer a factor to me. Where the Kor'or'vesh was originally introduced in the Third Sphere expansion according to Imperial Armour III: The Taros Campaign, more recent GW publications have made mention of Custodian-class battleships participating in the Damocles Gulf Crusade. The Kor'or'vesh vessels now appear to have been phased into service slowly over the course of the last three centuries.

Isoroku
Shas

Post#23 » Aug 03 2013 05:01

Ardias Die in Joram in 745.M41 for a raid against that system by the 3rd Company of the Ultramarines. at least that came out in the Codex Space Marines - Tau domain Joram continues to date.

Doombringer
Drill Shas

Post#24 » Aug 03 2013 05:50

Thanks for that reference, Isoroku.

So yeah, Fire Warrior exists out of time or some serious warp-muddling has taken place.

• Captain Ardias dies in 745.M41 during the Joran Retaliation, yet is the 3rd Company Captain during the events of the novel. [WD 255, pg. 17]
  • The collapse of the Damocles Gulf Crusade is mentioned as having taken place "two hundred years previously." [Fire Warrior, pg. 101]
  • A single datestamp exists in the novel - 5732341.M41 - during a data transmission from Dolumar IV to the Imperial Navy fleet. Whether this is a reference, code of some sort, or the present date is unclear. [Fire Warrior, pg. 60]
  • Hive Fleet Kraken, which began to enter the galaxy in the early 990s.M41, is mentioned to have been encroaching on nearby sectors eight years prior to the events of the novel. [Fire Warrior, pg. 128]

Needless to say, the book's sequential continuity is so broken that to even attempt to place it anywhere on the timeline is a fool's errand.

---

Additionally, I don't think that Xenology date is legitimate.

It appears to be the datum-drone's designation. The main events of the book take place in 805.M41, and the book represents a spoken log of Inquisitor Sasham's observations and reviewed documents.

The arco-stylus picture of Farsight must therefore have been taken prior to 805.M41, which doesn't coincide with the new Farsight Enclaves codex timeline and represents yet another unfortunate oversight by Games Workshop/Black Library.

Lyi'ot
Por'O

Post#25 » Oct 18 2013 12:48

The timeline has been updated with new information from Codex: Space Marines - 6th Edition. Unfortunately, I only have a .epub copy, so I was unable to get the page numbers for the new entries with any precision. My exacting por heart, it breaks.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#26 » Oct 18 2013 04:39

Lyi'ot wrote:The timeline has been updated with new information from Codex: Space Marines - 6th Edition. Unfortunately, I only have a .epub copy, so I was unable to get the page numbers for the new entries with any precision. My exacting por heart, it breaks.

I'm not sure if the por part was supposed to be wordplay or not.

Anyways, I can look through C:SM tonight or tomorrow for the pages (a friend owns it), but I couldn't find which parts were attributed to the 6th ed codex on the timeline. Also, there are some inconsistencies in the format of the citations. For example:
799.M41... (Codex: Space Marines - 5th Edition, 40)
303.999.M41... (Codex: Space Marines (5th Edition), 40, 48)

I'm not sure if that's worrisome enough to bother fixing, but I noticed it while using my browser's search function for the 6th ed SM so I wouldn't have to ask you this question.

If you don't respond before I search there are no worries – I only wanted them to expedite my search – I'll just look for all of the Tau references I can.

o7
—ARC

Lyi'ot
Por'O

Post#27 » Oct 19 2013 05:43

ARC'Thunder, I think you followed the first post's link through to the old timeline. Check out the current timeline, stickied at the top of the subforum; not only is it much longer, I tried to be as meticulous as possible with consistent formatting. (I totally thought it was worrisome enough to fix! :D ) Naturally, if you find a problem or a typo or anything, let me know; the timeline is my pride and joy, and I want 'er in the best shape possible.

A find-search for Codex: Space Marines - 6th Edition should find you what I've attributed to the codex.

I've also updated the timeline with one entry from the most recent "Rail Rifle" fluff supplement. I haven't purchased it myself; the information comes from one of the preview pages. If there are more dates in the download, let me know!

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#28 » Oct 20 2013 10:14

Lyi'ot wrote:ARC'Thunder, I think you followed the first post's link through to the old timeline
:eek: Welp. My apologies for the confusion.

Anyways, the list below contains the page numbers and relevant chapter timeline for each reference I found:
  • 900.M41: pg 29 (Ultramarines)
  • 940.M41: pg 19 (Brotherhood at War)
  • 963.M41: pg 29 (Ultramarines)
  • 993.M41: Pg 45 (Imperial Fists), pg 53 (Black Templars)
  • 998.M41: pg 70 (Iron Hands)
  • 742.M41 - Damocles: pg 70 (Iron Hands)

It should be noted that I had "pg 38 (White Scars)" written in my notebook for a 742.M41 entry, but I can't remember if it had any references to the Tau. I might have just written it down because of the date, but I'll double check later today and edit my post.

And I didn't purchase the Rail Rifle book, but I did foolishly purchase the Burst Cannon one... it doesn't have any dates.

Lyi'ot
Por'O

Post#29 » Oct 20 2013 07:42

Thank you for the page numbers! I'll work them in ASAP.
ARC'Thunder wrote:It should be noted that I had "pg 38 (White Scars)" written in my notebook for a 742.M41 entry...
If my memory serves, it's doesn't add anything we don't already know (unlike, say, the Iron Hands entry).
ARC'Thunder wrote:And I didn't purchase the Rail Rifle book, but I did foolishly purchase the Burst Cannon one... it doesn't have any dates.
Same here, buddy. Burn me once...

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#30 » Dec 08 2013 12:29

I would like to mention that the new dataslate for the Fireblade Support Cadre (GW sure does love typos :P ) does have some fluff bits and timeline events. I'll list the timeline bits and their general basics here:

757999.M41 - The Taking of Mu’gulath Bay
  • Firebase Support Cadres were used alongside the unveiling of the XV104. They were very effective in destroying the forces of the White Scars, Raven Guard, and Catachans.
811999.M41 - The Trials of Ghoroi V
  • A Third Sphere fleet is engaged by Eldar raiders over Ghoroi V. The Fleet is mostly destroyed and the only survivors are three Firebase Support Cadres. The cadres manage to drive off the Eldar slavers and local predators. The survivors are rescued and perform a ta'lissera ritual.
859999.M41 - Waaagh! Gurgit
  • Big Mek Gurgit launches a Waagh! of Ork walkers confident in their resilience to Tau firepower. Six Firebase Support Cadres crush Gurgit's forces at the Battle of Gunner Ridge.
862999.M41 - Knights Brought Low
  • A Strike Cruiser from the Knights of Blood chapter of Space Marines exits the Warp above Lub'grahl. Farsight employs Firebase Support Cadres protected by "Countercrisis" teams destroying the Knights of Blood and driving them from the planet.
919999.M41 - Burning the Splinter
  • A single bio-ship from Hive Fleet Gorgon attacks the Kroot homeworld of Pech. While the Kroot are capable of fighting lesser Tyranid, they are unable to counter the Tyranids' massive bio-titans. When Tau aid arrives, Firebase Support Cadres work alongside Kroot forces; Tau attack the bio-titans from atop large mesas while the Kroot defend their positions from smaller Tyranid beasts.

I would like to mention that I grow tired of GW writing that the S8 HRR is capable of shooting completely through tanks or can "punch through one side of an Ork Stompa and out of the other." At this point it's almost like they're trying to twist the knife and laugh :( .
Last edited by ARC'Thunder on Dec 08 2013 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Library”