Living Tau Xenolexicon

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Living Tau Xenolexicon

Post#19 » Jan 16 2014 11:48

Another entry in Shadowsun.

Shadowsun, pg 46 wrote:"... You may dismiss your men.’
Kou’to’s head snapped up. ‘La’rua, karae’na!’ he barked. The circle protecting the commander’s decency dispersed at once to continue policing the bodies of friend and foe alike.
It seems as though karae'na is some form of "dismissed." Lhas'rhen'na uses 'na as well, but I'm not sure we could translate this phrase into constituent parts.

Also, I would also like to attract attention to the article on Wikipedia regarding Japanese Grammar. It is no secret that many parallels are often drawn between the Tau and several Asian nations, but some of the grammar lessons do seemingly apply here. We may be able to formulate a better sense of grammar and syntax by using this as a guide. An example would be the traditional Japanese exclusion of spaces between words/characters in sentences and Tau use of apostrophes instead of spaces:
... written Japanese does not typically demarcate words with spaces; its agglutinative nature further makes the concept of a word rather different from words in English. The listener identifies word divisions by semantic cues and a knowledge of phrase structure. Phrases have a single meaning-bearing word, followed by a string of suffixes, auxiliary verbs and particles to modify its meaning and designate its grammatical role.
I think a discussion about the language of a more grammatical nature could be rather fun! But that may just be me...

If it seems desirable, I could try to make a specific post that points out areas of the language that may be applicable to Tau'sia. I'm certainly not a Japanese linguist (haphazardly self-teaching a language is slow going), but I could attempt to use what knowledge I have available to me.

Decs
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » May 20 2015 09:17

Me:
Me'drek:
Me'lek:

Auk: Meanings; “Impure” – in relation to the physical attributes of an object.
Auk'nan: Composite Word; Meaning; "Impure Sword", "Broken Sword", "Flawed Weapon", etc.

T'auk'cka: Composite Word; Meaning; “Of Impure Stock?” or “Hybrid” or “bastard”.
T'auk'cka'M'me: Composite Word; Meaning; “Bastardized” or “not of an expected breed, for its kind”.

Ta: Meaning; “Soul”.
Ta'uk'me: Composite Word; Meaning; “Soul ___ ___” – submeanings Kroot Hounds.

Meaning of “Me”

I’m just doing some vulcanian logical mind acrobatic here. I‘ve got no further sources to this topic as those mentioned above. If somehow my thoughts are already outdated or wrong, as english isn't my mothertongue, please enlighten me!

“Ta’uk’me” has the sub meaning “Kroot Hound”. So how could this be in a meaningful relation to “Ta”, meaning “soul”.
We don’t know the word “uk” and “me” but we know the word “auk”, meaning “impure”
The meaning of “auk” implies that the part “uk” also has a negative connotation.
To be Impure means a lack of purity… so “uk” could have the meaning of –less, to be without something, to lack something.
So “Ta’uk” would be “soulless”/without a soul. We still lack a meaning for “Me”, “Me'drek”, Me'le, which we can find in “T'auk'cka'M'me”: Composite Word; Meaning; “Bastardized” or “not of an expected breed, for its kind”.
I would suggest putting “Me” in the direction of “Breed”, which would fit in the fluff we know about Kroot, the Shapers and their self breeding by eating genetically diverse flesh.
So we can use “Me” as Tau’sia word describing the Kroot as the “breeding ones”.
“Ta’uk’me” would then mean “Soulless Kroot” referring to the genetically kinship between Kroot and Kroot Hounds but lifting out the “Kroot” as evolutionary higher standing, feeling, thinking species, having self consciousness vice versa the animalistic Hounds.
“Me'drek”and” Me'lek” would be other “Kroot” related words, like i.e. “Krootox”.

Thoughts? :crafty:
Shas' O Sun'zi writes: Attack with fire!

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » May 21 2015 04:31

But the Tau word for Kroot is already Jikita. So, by your determination, would Jikita'me be the 'Kroot Race' as a whole in the same way as Tau'faan refers to the tau race?
~Good Hunting

ArttesThePerishable
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » May 22 2015 07:29

Perhaps rather than referring to Kroot Race or Kroot in general, the word "me" could literally refer to "breed". As in suggesting a certain breed of the Kroot species?

So Ta'uk'me would be "Soulless Breed". And, as the Tau have such a close relationship with the Kroot, it seems possible that the term "breed" could be an everyday shorthand that is popularly understood as referring to Kroot sub-species?
Blood for the Blood God? No! Fire for my FireBlade!

Co'da
Shas

Post#23 » May 22 2015 09:58

ArttesThePerishable wrote: And, as the Tau have such a close relationship with the Kroot, it seems possible that the term "breed" could be an everyday shorthand that is popularly understood as referring to Kroot sub-species?

The "Kleenex" to the Kroot's "tissue", if you will.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » May 22 2015 12:07

I think we're going off the rails here (IMHO).

[HOLD THE PRESSES! Had to edit my post as we are all really of course! Hell we don't even have the correct tau spelling here?]

The word is T'auk'me not Ta'uk'me!

T'auk'me thus would mean something like: 'Of impure stock/breed'. What this has to do with Kroot hounds I have no idea? Maybe what we have here is writers for GW and BL just throwing sounds together on the page and saying, "Gee that sounds sorta tau-like?"

Auk: 'Impure' but Anuk: 'Bird'

Since all the Kroot creatures are related and the Kroot are essentially flightless birds, could auk (in this case) then be simply a contraction of anuk?

So...
T: 'Of' or 'At'
Auk
: contraction (?) Anuk: 'Bird'
Me: 'Breed'

I had another guess here but with the correct spelling, my guess goes right out the airlock door! :::( T'ahh, so maybe it means 'Of a bird-like breed'?

Sorry, that's all I got! :-?
Last edited by TauMan on May 22 2015 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » May 22 2015 12:54

I've been using this quite a bit. One thing I ran into where a just a few issues.

-Words for numbers?
-Was not able to find word for "single" "only" etc etc
Enclave of the 7 Swords: 12-5-2

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » May 22 2015 01:43

J'Kaara Nan wrote:I've been using this quite a bit. One thing I ran into where a just a few issues.

-Words for numbers?

J'Kaara'nan (Hey that's Mirror Sword in tau'sia!) :)

Yes there are lots of missing words, so we've been inventing them! Try the 'Expanded Tau Lexicon' posted further down in the A.T.T. Library [O.K. so that was a shameless plug there!] :roll:

Still we have no words for numbers or a word for 'single', 'double', 'triple' though. Hell we can't even finalize the tau alphabet! It has missing letters by the way. Xhmm, maybe you try your hand at inventing some tau words? ;) Remember tau have an eight based numerical system (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,0) There is another post on tau numbering system.

Hey give it a shot and then IM me (TauMan) the results.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#27 » May 23 2015 02:43

J'Kaara Nan wrote:I've been using this quite a bit. One thing I ran into where a just a few issues.

-Words for numbers?

This source really tends to focus on words either found in official GW literature, or those that have been heavily integrated into the community (such as "xar'vesa"). While it may not be completely current, you can generally assume that if it isn't on this list (or in the parts of TauMan's that are official) then we likely haven't been given the word yet.

TauMan wrote:Hell we can't even finalize the tau alphabet! It has missing letters by the way.

To say the tau alphabet is "missing" letters is misleading. Not every alphabet is composed of 26 letters.

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Jul 02 2017 05:31

I've been trying to figure out the T'au name for the Sept my army belongs to.

With the new fluff in 8th ed stating that the 5th SoE disappeared, I'm basing it on a distant/lost colony from that sphere. I was thinking of calling it something like Distant or Far Star.

The problem I'm having is finding the right word for distant or far. I figured Shas works for star, I think...

Anyway, you chaps seem pretty clued up on T'au lingo so I figured you'd be the best people to ask for help.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Library”