An Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

An Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017

Post#1 » Jan 07 2015 12:12

An Expanded Tau Lexicon and Tau'sia: Toward a Tau Language 2017
VER. 2.0

Per several requests, the following link will be the one and only link for this thread. It will always contain the latest version of the lexicon. - TauMan

TAU LEXICON 2017 VER. 3.0 http://docdro.id/dwpTimc

Tau Man
'For the Greater Good!'
Ver. 1.0: 01-21-2017
Ver. 2.0: 07-08-2017
Ver. 3.0: 09-19-17

***************************************************************************************************************************************

Historical note for Tau Lexicon 2015
I hesitate to create a new post, but it seems me that posting this under the Living Tau Xenolexicon discussion thread would be inappropriate. If I posted the New Tau Lexicon 2015 there it might be construed as the new 'official lexicon', and that would not be the case. But to create a separate discussion thread might seem like it was a competing lexicon? This however is not the case, as what I intend with this lexicon is more fleshed out lexicon of tau words, based on the earlier work of Doombringer and others at A.T.T. This lexicon is meant primarily as a tool for writers, would-be writers, and those creating background fluff for their tau armies.

There is so few tau words to work with and most words are really military jargon, as would be expected for a alien race in a game whose tag line is: “In the grim dark future, there is only war!” However if a writer is trying to create a believable world, inhabited by characters that the reader can relate to, then much more is needed. So many questions come to mind:

Just what are the tau words for colour? The word for 'blue' would be nice!
    >What is the meaning of words like: T'olku, N'dras and Dal'yth?
    >What are the words for food besides, 'Nim ko'nai'?
    >What are the folklore and mythological lore of the tau?
    >Where are the words for tau opera, art, music and theatre?
    >Where are terms for the Tau'va or 'The Greater Good'? And by the way just what is the philosophy of 'The Greater Good' anyway?
    >And what are the linguistic differences in the Farsight Enclaves?
    >Are there caste dialects? And are there caste specific words?

Now if we leave it to the codex writers of GW we maybe waiting for another ten millennia! And I am certain the results would not be 'Tau'va' anyway! So leave it to the fans and the occasional Black Library writer (Mr. Campbell being both!) to fill in the gaps. And to that effort I now add my humble contribution: the New Tau Lexicon 2015 ver. 1.0.

Tau'Sia: An Invitation to Create a New Tau Language
Xhmm...sometime in December it occurred to me that what I've done by creating so many new tau words is to begin the creation of a Tau'sia, or Tau language! A Tau language you say? You mean like when they created Klingon for the Star Trek franchise? Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying, but believe me when I say I never intended to do this when I started out three years ago! It just happened as I was writing my stories based on the 40k universe and the tau. It seems I create a new word every a page I write. But it's not just me others have done so as well, so now I invite anyone and everyone to create your own 'tau neologisms'! Send then to me so they can be added to the growing tau lexicon. And please anyone with an ideas toward grammar jump in as well. How about those caste dialects? Air caste neologisms? Water caste neologisms? I want to see this as a community effort, not just my work alone. If the whole community of A.T.T., joins in the effort, then this will be a far better project and of course it will serve the 'Greater Good'.

Notes on the New Tau Lexicon 2016 ver.1.0
This is meant as a living document and will be updated at least once a month! Also terms not highlighted mean they are 'canonical', while those highlighted in orange and blue are not. (That's for the purest who don't want or like the neologisms). Also there are 'cultural' terminology for the Farsight Enclaves (you'll know them when you see them!); and you do not have to agree with them. Which reminds me: You do not have to agree with any of my interpretations, translations, neologisms, folklore or mythological lore! If it doesn't fit your view of the Tau Empire or the Farsight Enclaves, then by all means throw it out the airlock!

Tau Man
'It's just a game after all!'
January 7th 2015
Last edited by TauMan on Sep 19 2017 09:40, edited 19 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: A New Tau Lexicon and Tau'sia: Toward a Tau Language

Post#2 » Jan 07 2015 03:55

I haven't looked over the document extensively (read: I skimmed the introduction and "A"). I will say that I believe there is an issue with your pronunciation guide:

The Tau alphabet has fewer letters than ours does. They share characters for some of our letters: C/K, F/V, and I/Y specifically. Also, Z and Q are technically not present as letters in the Tau alphabet at all—although I suspect combinations of letters may recreate the sounds if not the letters themselves.

With this in mind, I'm not sure it is technically accurate to have separate pronunciations for certain letters which are combined in the alphabet—or not present. Additionally, you have combined V and W, however those two are actually separate letters and would be more likely to have independent pronunciations.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jan 14 2015 02:51

New Tau Lexicon_2015 ver.1.1 AND New Tau Alphabet

LINK TO LEXICON DELETED - SEE POST AT TOP OF THREAD

Thank you ARC'Thunder for the input as I have totally neglected the tau alphabet while working on the lexicon.

First how many of you out there realized that there are letters on the tau transfer sheet from GW, that do not appear in any of the Tau Codices? Never paid it much attention until I did a Google search for 'Tau Alphabet' there are eight letters that most people use as 'numbers'? Weirdly so have I, and building my Hammerheads even I used them as 'numbers'. I have no idea what I thought these letters were suppose to represent? However this works out good as the 'official' tau alphabet is missing letters and even one set of duplicate letters (F/V)!

GOOFS
F/V: The same tau letter for different sounds (false similarity)
C/K: Different tau letters for the same sound (false difference)
I/Y: Different letters for the different sounds, but the same letter in tau (false similarity)

MISSING LETTERS
'Q' Thanks to the last tau codex which gave us the word 'Qan'–White but that's okay because I went ahead and invented some 'Q' words of my own!
'W' Thank you Mr. Braden Campbell for inventing the word 'Il'Walaho'–Place of Bright Colours so now we have to add 'W' to the list; but that's okay, as I added a few 'W' words!
'V' There are lots of 'V' words but has no separate letter in the tau alphabet.
'Y' There are lots of 'Y' words but has no separate letter in the tau alphabet.
'Ch' No letter
'Kh' No letter
'Gh' No letter
'Ts' No letter

The problem being is to me obvious, the creators of the original Tau Codex where are native speakers of English (as am I). Hence the confusion around the letters 'C'/'K', 'F'/'V' and 'I'/'Y'. The rest of the problem is that this was a background/rules book for a scifi table top game; and not The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien!

Therefore we can now add to the tau alphabet the missing letters using the aforementioned 'transfer' letters!

NEW LETTERS
Image for the letter Q
Image for the letter W
Image for the letter V (English uses two letter as in 'Ch' for 'Church', and Mongolian uses two of the same letter as in the word 'Qqan'-Khan, so using two letters seems alright to me).
Image for the letter/sound Y
Image for the sound Ch
Image for the sound Kh (Again just using two letters seems alright).
Image for the sound Gh as in loch. (The letter 'X' for the original sound as in Homeric Greek, and not as another from of 'Z' as in modern English).
Image for the letter Ts or Tz (As in Tsar).

Once again the above link is two the latest version of the lexicon. And as to the alphabet...well somebody's got to do? After all what would the late Professor Tolkien say if we didn't? :P Of course the rub comes with pronouncing the letters in the first place, and you may recall what G.B. Shaw said about the U.S. and the U.K., "Two people divided by a common language." ;)

Edited twice to reference lasted updated link
Last edited by TauMan on May 04 2016 02:02, edited 7 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Deet
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 14 2015 06:46

Awesome. Love that you're doing this.

I think you're on the right track looking to other languages for inspiration on how to handle them. Interesting idea on the double letters. I think it's a mistake in some cases to assume that you NEED every letter that's in the English language though. F and V are virtually identical on the lips- they're formed the same way. I think you can get away with using the same letter for both.

The alternative is to use accent marks to differentiate- see Japanese Hiragana and the difference between Ka and Ga for example.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 14 2015 11:09

Deet wrote:I think you're on the right track looking to other languages for inspiration on how to handle them. Interesting idea on the double letters. I think it's a mistake in some cases to assume that you NEED every letter that's in the English language though. F and V are virtually identical on the lips- they're formed the same way. I think you can get away with using the same letter for both.

The alternative is to use accent marks to differentiate- see Japanese Hiragana and the difference between Ka and Ga for example.
I agree whole heartedly, both in regards to the pronunciation of V and F, and the requirement that Tau'sia replicate every letter and sound that English has.

I know that my personal interpretation of Tau is heavily influenced by my—admittedly limited—knowledge of Japanese. I assume that F/V, I/Y and C/K share letters because they have similar, if not identical, sounds in the Tau language. For example: the Japanese often replace L's with R's because of the similar sounds they make when pronounced in their language. Japan also pronounces vowels and consonants very consistently and obviously (unlike English); so that means if it is written and visible, it will likely always be pronounced as written (the only exception I've noticed is the way they tend to shorten the pronunciation of "U" such that it is almost unheard).

TauMan wrote:First how many of you out there realized that there are letters on the tau transfer sheet from GW, that do not appear in any of the Tau Codices? Never paid it much attention until I did a Google search for 'Tau Alphabet' there are eight letters that most people use as 'numbers'? Weirdly so have I, and building my Hammerheads even I used them as 'numbers'. I have no idea what I thought these letters were suppose to represent?
Those are numbers. You can see them being used as such on page 25 of the codex.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jan 15 2015 12:13

Thanks everyone for your input!

Now last things first:
ARC'Thunder wrote:You can see them being used as such on page 25 of the codex.
Actually it's a photograph on page 43 of Tau Codex, copyright Games Workshop 2001. That is to say it's the FIRST codex, but if you don't have that codex then you wouldn't have that information. Which reminds me, that was where I learned they were numbers! There is so much good stuff in the older codices that a newer player won't ever get there hands on, that it is a real shame it not part of the new codem; although a lot of that information is now in A.T.T.!

My point was that the transfer graphics i.e. the numerals were available to use for the missing letters. As I always thought that Tau might be like Hebrew, Aramaic, and Arabic, where letters also double as numbers.

The 'Circle with a line underneath' Image is 'zero'; and therefore I created the tau word: Tsaa-Zero.

Those pesky letter combinations! F/V, C/K and I/Y! Well were stuck with them because they ARE in the codices! And although F and V might almost be the same sound, no one is really going to order a XV-109 R'Fahna from Forge World! Therefore let's make good with what we've got! Too confusing maybe for folks (or is it volks) beginning to play tau.

I figure there might have been some error on the part of Sister Verity of the Order Dialogus, back when she was creating the 'Tau lexicon' in the fictional back story (the story is in both the first and second Tau Codices). Like her creating equivalent gothic letters for the sounds in the Tau language, even if she got them somewhat incorrect. Anyway, good-night for now as it after 2300 hours CST, North America and I have to work tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input and please chip with suggestions and let's build us a real Tau Sia, and do Uncle J.R.R. proud! :biggrin:
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Tastyfish
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jan 15 2015 07:39

Have to admit, the fact that the original Tau alphabet didn't have a 'Q' sound whilst the BFG fleet listings had several ships with that letter in the Tau versions of their names always bugged me.
There is probably a good chance that Sister Verity only really encountered one dialect of Tau'Sia, with the Dal'yth accent (or Kor) being perhaps something akin to the Yorkshire one, having a tendency to drop a bunch of sounds at the start or ends of words, or alternatively there's some differences between Septs in how they pronounce certain sounds - Dal'yth having their military fleets containing a large number of Nuclear "Wessels" rather than the anglo-american versions.

Whilst a water caste envoy might take particular care in pronouncing the names of Defenders and Messengers, a Dal'ythian captain might pronounce them as either Kir-'ath or Skether Kan.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 15 2015 02:14

It may also be prudent to consider that the Romanization of Tau words may be to the benefit of the audience.

The Tau language is consistently described as incredibly complicated, and involving body language in addition to verbal phrases. So, while we may read it in our alphabet with a 'q' that doesn't mean the same exact letter is actually carried over for the Tau; it may simply be a written way to differentiate what may be similar sounding syllables (kan, can, qan, etc.) that have different meanings. For a Tau reading in Tau'sia, they may simply know which syllables and meanings to use based on context and established phrases, and the actual letters are less important.

TauMan wrote:
ARC'Thunder wrote:You can see them being used as such on page 25 of the codex.
Actually it's a photograph on page 43 of Tau Codex, copyright Games Workshop 2001. That is to say it's the FIRST codex, but if you don't have that codex then you wouldn't have that information. Which reminds me, that was where I learned they were numbers! There is so much good stuff in the older codices that a newer player won't ever get there hands on, that it is a real shame it not part of the new codem; although a lot of that information is now in A.T.T.!

I was simply pointing out that the current codex still shows use of the numbers even if they aren't explicitly labeled.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jan 15 2015 09:31

Tastyfish wrote:There is probably a good chance that Sister Verity only really encountered one dialect of Tau'Sia, with the Dal'yth accent (or Kor) being perhaps something akin to the Yorkshire one, having a tendency to drop a bunch of sounds at the start or ends of words, or alternatively there's some differences between Septs in how they pronounce certain sounds - Dal'yth having their military fleets containing a large number of Nuclear "Wessels" rather than the anglo-american versions.
Whilst a water caste envoy might take particular care in pronouncing the names of Defenders and Messengers, a Dal'ythian captain might pronounce them as either Kir-'ath or Skether Kan.

To Tastyfish: Thanks for mentioning BFG, I don't have the rules and never played the game. The words I included I got from the 40Kwiki list of Tau Navy ships; which would of course have come from BFG. Another thing we have to deal with are the odd words coming from other sources (WD articles, BL novels and of course BFG).

I think you're right on the money here! There certainly would be caste dialects, sept dialect, and variations of style depending on caste, rank and alike. Now throw in the Farsight Enclaves tau and you have someone from 'way up in the hollars' of Kentucky trying to talk to someone from London. No one is going to understand what's being said, as the vocabulary and pronunciation have changed way too much, over that much time!

In fact in the New Tau Lexicon_2015 ver. 1.1, I listed 'Skether Kan' as coming from the Air caste dialect.

To ARC'Thunder:
ARC'Thunder wrote:I was simply pointing out that the current codex still shows use of the numbers even if they aren't explicitly labeled.

Point taken about the 'tau numerals' still being used! I apologize for not understanding your point the first time.:sad: Unfortunately GW's prickliness on IP matters prevents posting any of that old codex stuff. It would be a great thing if it could be shared legally and honestly.

ARC'Thunder wrote: The Tau language is consistently described as incredibly complicated, and involving body language in addition to verbal phrases. So, while we may read it in our alphabet with a 'q' that doesn't mean the same exact letter is actually carried over for the Tau; it may simply be a written way to differentiate what may be similar sounding syllables (kan, can, qan, etc.) that have different meanings. For a Tau reading in Tau'sia, they may simply know which syllables and meanings to use based on context and established phrases, and the actual letters are less important.

Wow, I couldn't agree more about similar sounding syllables: kan, can, qan! That is in fact the direction I was heading with the alphabet.Now complexity of meaning in spoken tau does involve context and body language. All of you probably be reading my stories - there's lots of that in them (Alright sorry for the shameless plug :roll:). Everything about the alphabet has been to round it out, so as get the correct 'written alphabet' for the lexicon!

The mission statement again: "This lexicon is meant primarily as a tool for writers, would-be writers, and those creating background fluff for their tau armies." To which I'll now add: "And hobbyists who want to know what the phrase they paint on their Hammerhead or Battlesuit actually means and then spell it correctly!"
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jan 15 2015 10:27

To Everyone:
I was going to include a sampling of the Tau neologisms in the previous post, but decided it was too long. Please note that any word marked with a double asterisk (**) is not a word I invented, but rather a word for which I created a definition.

SAMPLE LIST FROM THE NEW TAU LEXICON VER. 1.1

Aiki'yeb(ii): [comp. & contr.] 1. n. {folklore} Derived from 'Aiski'yebe'gelii, for 'Hand-foot', lit. 'Hand‑walker', any one of the small 'fairies' from taufolklore; who having no feet, walk instead on their hands; 2. n. {colloquial} 'Human', or 'alien' (man-in-the-street usage) [Note has replaced 'Gue'la' in the F.E.].

Anuk't'auk'cka'la: [comp.] n. {colloquial}, 'Mutant Vulture', or 'Imperial Aquila', lit. 'Mutant bird creature', One of the tau names for the double-headed eagle insignia of the Imperium of Man.

B'sha: [comp.] 1. n. {archaic}, ‘Smoke/Fume Herder’ or ‘Guide of the Forge’, i.e. a blacksmith's assistant or 'the one who operates the bellows'; 2. n. {jargon} Laboratory technician [Er.c.]; 3. n. {colloquial}: Any less experienced mechanic or technician i.e. a Fio'la [Er.c. Note does not carry any negative or derogatory term is merely an alternative word for technician].

Fri'k'Kirsa'erra: [comp.] n. {folklore} A 'Cheeky Fox Spirit' is a licentious trickster spirit that takes the form or a 'fox' to seduce, or otherwise sexually molest, an attractive man or woman.

Haha: 1. n. {colloquial} 'Grandpa', an affectionate expression for an older male relative when the 'Ha' is rendered as a double noun 'Haha’; 2. n. 'Old Man', a term of respect used to address any older man, regardless of familial relationship. [Meaning: 'Dear Great-grandfather'].

Kau'savon: [comp.] 1. n. 'Keen eyed Hunter', lit. 'The Hunter with a keen eye'; 2. n. {honorific} personal name.

Ke'lshan:** [comp.] 1. n. 'Splendiferous' lit. 'Lustrous' or 'Glistening', 'Immersion'; 2. n. Name of tau sept world, lit. 'To plunge into an exquisite resplendent wonder', i.e. 'To be surrounded by magnificence']; 3. n. {synonym} 'a Tsunami' [Derived from the sublime and terrifying experience of a tsunami].

Kinot'la: [comp.] n. {zoology} ‘Wolf’, a large caniformia (canid-type) animal indigenous to T'au. The Kinot occupies the same ecological niche as the extinct terran wolf (Canis lupus).

Kinot'erra: [comp.] 1. n.{folklore} 'Shadow-Wolf' or 'Demon-wolf', a fearsome monster that haunts battlefields and wild places. i.e. a 'Werewolf'; 2. n.{history} 'Berserker', awarrior who surrenders to the 'blood lust' in battle; 3.n. {synonym} 'Cannibal'.

Kisun: n. 'Blood'.

Kisun'xux: [comp.] adj. 'Blood-Blue' is a deep intense blue which is the same colour as tau blood. [Much favoured colour among tau of all castes!].

Kisun'yi: [comp.] 1. n. 'Blood Flower' a flower known for its' fragrance and beauty; which is comparable to the terran rose; 2. n. {archaic} A courtesan name.

La'r'nan: [comp.] n. 'Hero Swordsman' i.e. 'Sword Saint'.

M'denta: [comp.] 1. n. 'Un-Spirit', lit. 'Un-Breath', 'An unexpected scent or odour' or 'A bad odour, 'The smell of decaying biomass?]; 2. n. {synonym} Something that is 'dead' i.e. 'not breathing', [many apply to either living entities or mechanical devices, e.g.That drone should be operational, but it is certainly m'denta (not breathing).”

M'va'denta: [comp.] n. {folklore} 'The Un-Greater Spirit', lit. 'Un-Immortal Breath', A thing that is alive, (immortal) yet is not alive, i.e. 'Un-dead' [vampire, zombie or ghoul(?)].

Muk'xux'ten'grii: [comp.] n. {phrase} ‘Enternal Blue Sky’ [Ancient expression used by steppe tribes on ancient T'au].

Ned'keli: [comp.] n. 'Bright haired guardian' a personal name for boys [Note name of famous 'Bandit' or 'Highwayman from ancient T'au. Name very popular in F.E., and the sept world of N'Dras].

Noyea'kirsa: [comp.] n. {folklore} 'Princess Fox' or 'Lady Fox' the deity of wine, song, and illicit pleasure in the ancient tau mythology.

O'shasanuk'la: [comp.] n. {folklore} 'Lord Firebird', the legendary bird of fire that was the sun as it moved across the daytime sky; but whose true form could only be seen in the red sky at dawn or dusk. [See entry for Vi'shasanuk'la –'The Red Firebird'].

Ol'cea'sin: [comp.] n. 'Bright Enlightened People' i.e. The Craftworld Eldar. -var. Ol'sin–'The Bright People'.

Ol'yi'sin: [comp.] n. 'Bright Wild People' i.e. The Exodite Eldar -altr. Res'sin–'The Wild People'.

Oru'mi'la: [comp.] n. {colloquial}, 'Startlingly Handsome Man', a term for an exceptionally attractive young male [All castes].

Qaxra: 1. n. {geology} The mineral amber; 2. n. The colour 'deep orange-brown'.

Qazdan: n. {folklore} 'Dragon', a great serpentine creature said to inhabit the wastelands and mountains.

R'ka'jida: [comp.] 1. n. ‘Long Striking Spear’ i.e. 'Lance' or 'Pike'; 2. n. {mil.trm.} a name for a tau rail rifle.

Rakuda: 1. n. {biology} 'Camel' a large tau ungulate similar to the ancient terran camels or llamas, [Some breeds are as large as the Kroot knarloc!]; 2. n. personal name.

Ran: 1. n. ‘Heart’’ The organ that pumps blood; 2. n. ‘Spirit’ That which lives inside the body i.e. 'the soul' [animistic belief?]; 3. n. {biology} ‘Energy’, the kinetic-caloric energy which gives the body life on the cellular level. [Derived from the older term Ranui].

Ran'erra'Acaya'm'Va'denta: [comp.] n. {colloquial} 'The Un-dead Zombie Ghoul Lord', lit. 'Lord Demon-Ghost Master of Ghouls'. The Tau popular name for The Emperor of Mankind. As the tau do not understand either the Warp' or 'psychic ability', the ten-thousand year old Emperor is therefore some kind of monster. [See entry forRan'erra'm'denta – T.E. & F.E.].

Rat'laa: [comp.] n. {biology} 'Horse', an animal comparable to the ancient terran Equus ferus caballus; and which occupies the same biological, historical, and cultural place as the horse does on terra. However the tau animal Equus cervus taus most closely resembles the ancient terran animal called the 'moose' sans antlers.

Res'la:** [comp.] 1. n. {archaic} A barbarian, i.e. an ancient tau nomad; 2. n. {colloquial} Any member of the Farsight Enclaves or their supporters in the Tau Empire [T.E.].

Rotexi: n. ‘Week' Approximately ten rotaa.

Sabu'ro:** [comp.] 1. n. lit. 'Sharp Mind', i.e. 'Quick Witted' [Er.c./W.c.]; 2. n. To be intelligent or an original thinker [F.c.; W.c.]; 2. n. {synonym} 'Inventor' [Er.c.].

Serch'maa: [comp.] 1. n. ‘Hare’, lit. ‘Jumping’ + ‘Twisting’ = 'Leaper'. Serch'maa is a poetic name for the steppe hare [see entry for Xumxa]; 2. n. Personal name for women [Note the serch'maa resembles the ancient terran marsupial the wombat, though its' behaviour is much like the ancient terran mongoose].

Shas'ka'yi: [comp.] 1. n. ‘Fire-Flower’ or ‘Star-Flower’, a variety flowers indigenous to the T'au homeworld. Whose subtle multiple colours are visible mostly in the ultra-violet spectrum. [Also known as ‘O'yi’ or ‘The royal flower’]. 2. n. {synonym} 'Beauty' or 'Beautiful'; 3. n. {archaic}, a personal name for either a tau boy or girl [A popular girl's name in the F.E.].

Tai'qazdan: [comp.] 1. n. {mythology} 'White Dragon', a protective spirit that was said to watch out for the common people, especially those without an advocate or protector; 2. n. {folklore} 'God of the Waters '. The folk belief was that the tai'qazdan controlled the wind and rain; 3. adj. {synonym} 'To have great compassion, like that of the tai'qazdan'; 4. n. {historical} Ethereal saint who was known for his great compassion and empathy.

Tel: n. {astronomy} 'Tide', The periodic variation in the surface level of the oceans caused by gravitational attraction of the moon and sun.

Tel'Oshi:** [comp.] 1. n. 'Invisible Force' lit. 'Unseen Tide', One of the guiding principles of Tau ethics. [meaning 'the unseen (invisible) power that comes from righteous actions', akin to the concept of social capital; 2. n. Name of Tau system world.

Tugura(ii): n. 'Hoof' or 'Toe'. The actual hoof portion (toes) of a tau [Note does not include the spur].

Tuuk: v. 'To kick', or 'To throw out a leg'.

Ur'hui'la: [comp.] n. 'Quick wing', a tau avian similar to the ancient terran Road-runner.

Ur'riika: [comp.] n. 'Art of the quick draw (sword)', a tau martial art system.

Vi'Qqhan: [comp.] 1. n. {historic} 'The Red (War) Chieftain' The commander of a tribal army among the pastoral peoples of ancient T'au. [See entry for Qqhan – 'Chieftain']; 2. n. {honorific} Title of Shas'O'Vior'la'Shova, meaning 'The Red Warleader' or 'Commander-in-Chief'.

Wu: n. 'Joyful'.

Wu'ken: [comp.] n. 'Joyful Morning', a personal name [Fem. F.E. & T.E.].

Xītomata: [comp.] n. {zoology} 'Sabre Tiger', a large feline that could be compared to the ancient terran tiger (Panthera tigris), but having extremely large canine teeth much like the pre-historic terran Smilodon; and occupying the same ecological niche. The (xeno tigris tau) varies in colour from green to grey-blue in colour.

Xux: adj. 'Blue'

Yanoi'kais: [comp.] n. ‘Luminous Expert’ i.e. 'Genius'.

Yaxar: 1. n. {geology} The mineral 'ruby'; 2. adj. The colour 'ruby red'.

Yen'yanoi'yan: [comp.] 1.n. {phrase} lit. ‘To ponder the Moon's happiness’. To vacillate between any two opposing emotions or ideas, e.g. between giddiness and despair, or hope and cynicism; 2. v. To vacillate between two opposing possibilities; 3. v. To have excessive mood swings.

Yiyi: 1. n. {colloquial} ‘Granny’, an affectionate expression for an older female relative when the 'Yi' is rendered as a double noun 'Yiyi’; 2. n. 'Old Woman', Term of respect used to address any older woman, regardless of familial relationship. [Meaning: 'Dear Great-grandmother'].
Last edited by TauMan on Jan 24 2015 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Jan 23 2015 09:52

LATEST UPDATE:
    1. Title Change: Decided to call this the Expanded Tau Lexicon (New Tau Lexicon sounded too pretentious!)
    2. Theoretical new novel Apocalypse: Damocles, read over other posts and this one contributors to A.T.T. have added a list of tau word and expressions from the latest BL fiction. Plus a word I haven't seen before Shas'ken'to (see below)
    3. Latest version Ver. 1.3 link

Here are the latest words/expressions.[Please note I have included all the sub-parts of the word in composite words so you can see how the meanings of the words were made]:

Effu've
Effu: [comp.] 1. n. Bridge; 2. n. {colloquial} 'Landing' or 'Place where boats are beached'; 3. n. 'Ferry'
Ve: n. 'Unit' 'Section' or 'Crew'
Effu've: [comp.] 1. n. Bridgehead lit. 'Bridge section'; 2. n. 'Pontoon bridge'; 3. n. {suffix} 'Place name' + effu've – bridgehead' = 'Place Name' First Bridgehead e.g. Mu'gulath'effu've – Mu'gulath First Bridgehead [Note although the prefix for 'first' is not part of this phrase, it is implied by the placement of effu've as a suffix. All other sites would simply carry the prefixes for –second, –third, –fourth, etc.

Fu'lasso: [comp.] 1. n. {humorous} lit. 'a cursed mind knot'; 2. n. {colloquial} 'a curious calamity' or 'a political mess'(?); 3. n. {colloquial} a bureaucratic entanglement i.e. a Catch 22.

Noha: n. 'Talker' or 'Speaker'

Tau'noh'por: [comp.] 1. n. {W.c. trm.} The Tau Water Caste Manner/Way lit. 'Tau Water Speaking'; The Philosophy and art of rhetoric, to include public speaking, debate, negotiation, method of delivery and propaganda.

Tau'Shas'Va: [comp.] n. '{mil.trm.} The Tau military' lit. 'The Greater Tau Fire Caste'

Shas'ken'to [Haven't seen this word before, but don't have every WD/BL book or ebook. Can someone tell me where it comes from? Thanks]
Ken: n. 'Method'
To: {suffix} acts a modifier, 'best of' or 'having the most of that (quality)].
Ken'to: n. 'Doctrine' or 'Methodology' lit. 'Proscribed or Best Manner'
Shas'ken'to: n. Fire Caste (Battle) Doctrine lit. 'Fire Caste Best Doctrine', the doctrine of the Tau military, to include tactics, strategy, deployment of forces and combined arms use on the 41st millennium's integrated battlefield.

Edited to remove link to lexicon.
Last edited by TauMan on May 04 2016 02:04, edited 7 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: An Expanded Tau Lexicon and Tau'sia: Toward a Tau Language

Post#12 » Jan 26 2015 02:01

UPDATE: NEW TAU WORDS

TAU'SIAAL
Tau'siaal: [comp. & contr.] n. 'Human little tau language' i.e. The human dialect of Tau. Contraction from the term: Tau'gue'vesa'siaal. The sense here is not one of a 'lesser' language, but of a 'shorter' one; as humans don't have either the vocal range, or the ability to make all the sounds in the Tau language. Rather Tau'siaal uses 'clipped' or shortened versions of tau words, Tau-gothic hybrid words, and in some case substitutes a Gothic word for a Tau one. Along with Tau'siaal there are caste specific human dialects: Shas'tau'siaal, Fio'tau'siaal, Por'tau'siaal, and Kor'tau'siaal.

This was inspired by the story Broken Sword, by Guy Haley, discussed in the post Theoretical new novel Apocalypse: Damocles See link: http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22244&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

Data: Here is a little more on the background of Tau'siaal, that I didn't want to put in the definition. I haven't had a chance to read Broken Sword, (looking forward to though!) but apparently if a human attains a high enough caste rank, the tau will go the extra step in modifying his or her human vocal cords. However the rest of the Gue'vesa still have to read, write, understand and (as best they can) speak Tau'sia.
So with that in mind creating for humans their own 'dialect' would be the best option. However, this wouldn't be a 'Pidgin Tau' e.g. "Blueskin man, he talk at me The Greater Good for long time." Instead it would be a dialect that was as close as possible to the standard Tau language. Certainly the tau would have their own 'Babel Fish' technology, perhaps a small ear piece that would instantaneously translate what the other person was speaking. However if one is going to learn the Tau'va then learning to read, write and speak Tau is crucial. Much the same way one learns Hebrew to study the Torah, classical Arabic to study the Koran, or Sanskrit to study the writings of the Buddha. Not being able to 'speak' the language correctly is not as critical as not being able to understand it when reading it or hearing it.

TISAN

Tisan: n. 'Tea', a tau drink made from the infusion of flower buds of the Tisanei plant in hot water. It is served hot and has much the same significane in Tau culture as tea does in many ancient terran culutres. And like terran tanna or recaff in contains caffenoid like subtances. Popular varieties include vi'tisan – red tea (highest amount of caffenoids) to tai'tisan – white tea (lowest level of caffenoids).

Data: This comes from reading the discussion thread on Courage and Honour by Graham McNeill. The red and white varieties comes from my own novella (no I am not dropping any titles here! :P). I would have used this word had I know it existed, guess I have some editing to do.

I invite anyone else with thoughts on the Tau'siaal to post their thoughts here. Also any new words you've thought up or thoughts on the Expanded Tau Lexicon would be appreciated.
TauMan out.

PS - HELP: Can someone let me show how to link back to a post on A.T.T. so I don't have to put a hyperlink code. I know there is a way to do it; but I can't figure out how. Thanks.
If you look at the upper right of a post (where it says "Posted: Monday, Jan 26, 2015, 15:01" for example), there's a small little page icon. If you right/control-click that icon, choose "Copy Link Address," that will give you the URL to the post in question. You'll know if works if the link looks like this: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?p=289581#p289581 -ST
Last edited by TauMan on Feb 03 2015 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jan 27 2015 05:18

UPDATE - MORE NEW (OLD) TAU WORDS

First thanks to whoever you are Mr. Masked Blueman! "Did he ever give you his name?" "No, but he did leave this silver bonding knife!" "High-ho Silver Away!"
TauMan wrote:PS - HELP: Can someone let me show how to link back to a post on A.T.T. so I don't have to put a hyperlink code. I know there is a way to do it; but I can't figure out how. Thanks.
If you look at the upper right of a post (where it says "Posted: Monday, Jan 26, 2015, 15:01" for example), there's a small little page icon. If you right/control-click that icon, choose "Copy Link Address," that will give you the URL to the post in question. You'll know if works if the link looks like this: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewt ... 81#p289581 -ST
NOTE I FOUND MOST OF THESE WORDS LISTED IN OLD POSTS HERE ON A.T.T. MOST COME FROM EITHER KILL TEAM OR FIREWARRIOR BOOKS. I have invented a couple of new words and the meanings to most of the old ones.

Aun'chia'gor

Aun: n. ‘Ethereal’ or ‘Celestial’, one of the seven primary elements
Chia: {archaic} n. 1. 'Table'; 2. n. 'Altar' or 'Sacred spot'.
Gor: {archaic} n. 'Round' or 'Oval shaped'
Aun'chia'gor: [comp.] n. 'The Celestial Round Table' The legendary table at Fio'taun around which the agreement that ended the mont'au occurred.

-Eo: n. {suffix} 'Aquatic creature/plant'. Has much the same meaning as -La, except it refers to all aquatic life forms invertebrate, vertebrate and plant-life alike.

Fio'toros'tai
Fio: n. Earth caste
Toros: n. ‘Area’ 'Neighbourhood' or ‘District’.
Tai: 1. n. 'White'; 2. {synonym} n. 'Death' White as the ancient colour of death [Contemporary colour is 'purple'].
Fio'toros'tai: [comp.] n. An earth caste slaughterhouse district; lit. 'Earth caste' + 'District' +'Death' = Earth caste White District.

Kisun'shas: [comp.] {derogatory} n. Blood-fire. A fire caste insult meaning 'Reckless', 'Ill-tempered' or 'Wrathful' (T.E. & F.E.). NOTE THIS IS THE SAME 'BLOODFIRE' INSULT FROM FIREWARRIOR (Only now it's in Tau'sia!)

Ky'husa: 1. {archaic} n. The whiskey-like liquor used in a Ta'lissera ceremony ritual; which is served steaming hot and served in traditional drinking bowls. [Note original meaning of expression is unknown or lost. Possible corruption of the ancient fire caste phrase: 'Ky'h'Qy'xumis' or 'Ky'h'Qy'ta'lissera'xumis'–'You and Me we are bonded (with this) Xumis! (fermented milk of the rat'laa)," an ancient toast or cheer to celebrate becoming bonded. This interpretation is however, hotly debated among water caste scholars!]; 2. {colloquial} n. Any strong drink used to celebrate a special occasion or event. Often shortened to K'husa or Xusa (depends on caste); 3. {colloquial} n. A generic term for liquor, akin such Gothic words as 'Booze' or 'Hootch'.

J'hal: [comp.] 1. {biology} n. 'Copper Mirror' lit. 'To shine like copper' [Hal is derived from the tau word Ghal – 'Copper'] A flower from the tau homeworld, that was highly prized for it's beauty, as well as its' medicinal and nutritional properties; 2. n. A high-energy drink made from nectar of the j'hal flower. The highly nutritious nectar is blended with a mixture of vitamin, electrolyte, and energy supplements; which is then used in the battlesuits and kit of the tau military. [Note some variant of j'hal has been used by tau warriors since long before the mont'au].

Qy: prn. 'You' singular or 'You' plural.

Ron'nim'me'la:
Ron: n. 'Genetics', having to do with, or pertaining to, genetics [Not from the tau word for Necron. See entry for Ves'ron].
Nim: 1. n. `Foodstuff’ or ‘Food’; 2. n. ‘Staple meal’.
Me: n. {agricultural} 'Breed' or 'Stock'.
-La: {suffix} n. ‘Being’, ‘Person’, or ‘Creature’.
Ron'nim'me'la: [comp.] n. 'Genetically engineered food animal stock' i.e. 'Clone beast'. The cloned livestock hunted by the fire caste and used for ceremonial consumption specifically for the festival of Tau'kon'seh. [Note these animals are genetically modified variants of ancestral tau domesticated livestock. There are several such 'clone beast' breeds].

Sorral: n. 'an artistic aesthetic'

T'pel: [comp.& contr.] 1. {biology} n. T'pel Shark lit. 'Shark of Pel', One of the most fearsome aquatic predators that are indigenous to the homeworld of T'au. The T'pel'tsang'eo or The T'pel Shark' is found in the waters of the southern ocean of Pel; 2. {honorific} n. Personal name meaning to be as 'fierce as a T'pel Shark' (T.E.); 3. {honorific} n. Personal name [Praise name – F.E.].

Tau'kon'seh
Tau: 1. n. ‘Earth' or 'Soil'; 2. n. The people of the Tau empire i.e. The Tau.
Kon: n. 'Field labour' or 'Agricultural labour'.
Seh: n. 'Seed pod' or 'Fruit of the crops' [May apply to any kind of fruit, nut, or grain]
Tau'kon'seh: [comp.] n. 'Harvest' Name of the traditional tau harvest festival. lit. 'Earth/soil' + Field work + 'Fruit' (Seh is a contraction of Se'hen – 'Seed pod' or 'Fruit of the crops').

Tsang'eo: [comp.] {biology} n. 'Shark' lit. Fanged aquatic creature. Tsang – 'Fanged' + 'Eo' = Shark [Note -Eo is similar in meaning to the suffix -La, except that it means 'aquatic creature'].

Ui'ts: [comp.] 1. {historical} n. 'Bear-dog' [Note meaning unknown(?) Possibly derived from one of the ancient tau language?] There is no terran animal that is an equivalent for the Ui'ts, often times translated as 'Bear' or 'Bear-dog' neither animal approximates the Ui'ts. (In size the animal is comparable to the extinct terran 'Grizzly Bear'). A fierce semi-domesticated animal popular with the ancient tau nomads and used to guard their herds. The civilized tau saw the Ui'ts as a symbol of the violent nature of the tau nomads; but among the nomads it was a symbol of loyalty, valour and courage. 2. {derogatory} n. Insult or derisive name among the fire caste of the T.E.; 3. {honorific} n. Personal name [Praise name – F.E.].

Ui'tsal: [comp.] 1. {derogatory/honorific} n. 'Little Bear-dog' or 'Cub'; 2. {derogatory} n. Insult or derisive name among the fire caste of the T.E.

Ui'ts'e: [comp.] 1. {biology} n. A Bear-dog cub; 2. {derogatory} n. 'Bear-dog Cub' or 'Son-of-a-Bear-dog', common insult among the fire caste of the T.E.; 3. {honorific} n. Personal name [Praise name – F.E.].

Fio'sorral: [comp.] n. 'The Earth caste artistic aesthetic' [Note the sense of the expression is that of mainstream Tau artwork].

Xusa: 1. {historical} n. 'Grog', a salty blue alcoholic concoction made from watered down wine and the juices of tolkai & koki fruit. Used by tau soldiers and seamen to ward off vitamin deficiency illnesses. Usually laced with a good amount of salt to help present dehydration; 2. n. a modern variation of the traditional beverage with considerably less salt and considerably more alcohol. NOTE THIS IS THE SALTY BLUE BEVERAGE FROM KILL TEAM.

NOTE: Edited once to correct a new tau word. It's really a **BAD WORD DELETED FOR COMIC EFFECT** when I use the wrong word, after all I'm the one who INVENTED it in the first place! :::(
Last edited by TauMan on Mar 26 2015 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Feb 09 2015 11:14

Latest Update to the Expanded Tau Lexicon

Old Business:
Rechecking the latest Tau codex I discovered that the letter 'W' has been added to the tau alphabet. And guess what it's the same letter I chose! :P

Confirmed 'official' new letter 'W': Image

Now just for fun are the concepts and words of the Tau'Va or The Greater Good:

THE TAU'VA OR 'THE GREATER GOOD'
The Five Virtues
1. TangsuAltruism
2. SitquRighteousness
3. YesoleePropriety or Correct Actions
4. ErdemKnowledge or Sagacity
5. CigeciIntegrity

The Four Accompanying Virtues
1. IdegiLoyalty
2. AkilaFilial piety
3. LynuConstancy or Steadfastness
4. YonPatience

The Three Heroic Traits
1. Yesuto: Resilience i.e. Toughness, Reliable, & Frankness,
2. Begei: Courage, Bravery
3. Auxa: Strength, Endurance

The Two Complimentary States
1. Doran: Calmness/Stillness – At Rest
2. Kœdel: Action/Transition – In Motion

"May you live for a thousand tau'cyr!"
Last edited by TauMan on May 04 2016 02:06, edited 2 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Mar 22 2015 08:53

LATEST UPDATE: NEW TAU WORDS

Bondgor'la: n. {zoology} A tree dwelling rodent similar to the extinct terran chipmunk, but having a short furry tail and dun, black or gold fur.

Firbi'la: n. {zoology} A breed of large tau felinid similar to the extinct terran leopard. Several species exist the Fibri'Fal'laforest leopard and Upt'Fibri'lamountain leopard.

Heiino: 1. n. {agriculture} An animal resulting from the cross breeding of species. For an example a mule would be called heiino, since it is created by breeding a male horse to a female donkey; 2. adj. An unnaturally cross bred person or animal [Note refers to children resulting from an incestuous mating]; 3. n. {derogatory} 'Half-breed' A person of mixed caste ancestry or having a severe birth defect i.e. 'an abomination' [The sense here is of a half-caste or half-breed].

Kinukar'la: [comp.] n. {zoology} ‘Jackal’, a caniformia (canid-type) animal indigenous to T'au. The Kinukar occupies the same ecological niche as the extinct terran coyote (Canis latrans), which it resembles in size; but the Kinukar's physically appearance most closely resembles that of the terran dingo (Canis lupus dingo).

Qulaxa'la
: n. {zoology}, ‘Field Mouse’ A small tau rodent similar to (still thriving in the 41st millennium!) terran mouse. Having large eyes and a wide variety of fur types and colours.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Apr 03 2015 08:11

WANTED: RESEARCHERS, CONTRIBUTORS AND LEXICOGRAPHERS!!

The Expanded Tau Lexicon (ETL)is getting to be real BIG project, much bigger than I imagined! There was initially some interest when I first started this, and the thread still gets lots of views; but I need help!

First: RESEARCHERS
There are still a lot of tau words canon missing from the Lexicon. By canon I mean tau words appearing in various GW, Black Library and Fantasy Flight publications. Rogue Trader has several words that I just found out about; and I don't own or have access to it, or many other of the published sources out there. I and need help locating them and cross checking the ETL to see if a missing tau word is already there or if needs to be added.

Second: CONTRIBUTORS
I would like others to jump in here and invent some tau words of their own. This is really a lot of fun and someone else should be having fun too! There are so many possibilities:
Subject Areas: Art, Military History, Physics, Psychology, Astronomy, Folklore.
Caste dialects: Air, Earth, Water, Fire, Ethereal (a spattering of Eldar?)
Sept dialects (Regional/Ethnic): Bork'an, Daly'th, Tau'n etc.
Related subjects: Tau Calligraphy - Modern and Ancient, Tau Alphabets (plural, again Ancient and Modern), Tau Mythology and Folklore!

Third: LEXICOGRAPHERS
It's a lot of work to keep all the words, terms and expressions in the right place and proper order. I need folks to cross check words and parts of words, check consistency of spelling as well as the lexicon format, layout and design. Even a couple of part-time folks would help a great deal.

So here is what I'm asking for is you to join the Lexicon team and together we can all further the cause of the Tau'Va - The Greater Good!

NEW RESEARCHERS: Any one who comes across a 'new' tau word in a publication can post them here (please cite where you found it example: Rogue Trader, Fantasy Flight Games, 2010, pg. xx)

NEW CONTRIBUTORS: If you want to contribute post your new words or names post them here on the thread or send me a PM.
If you are interested in becoming you send a PM and send me your email address.

NEW LEXICOGRAPHERS: Just send me a PM and let me know what you want to work on!

Thanks - For the Tau'Va!
Last edited by TauMan on Sep 19 2017 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Apr 07 2015 01:38

I'd be willing to help, but I'm in Turkey... Which is spotty right now.

I'll check in once I return- I did a quick search of my name "calmsword" and found some links to the work I did back during Medusa V (it's hard to find since the fiasco at the end of all that- those long in the tooth should remember)

https://archive.moe/tg/thread/20994865/

2 of 5
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/a ... 131522.pdf

I'll keep hunting around, maybe these bones can help build something new.
~Good Hunting

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Apr 07 2015 03:26

Hey TauMan,

Looking through some older posts here on ATT- here's some canonical facts from a book called Courage and Honor, one of the most recent campaigns after the Zeist Campaign that halted the 3rd Spheres advance into human space.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13336

Would it be too difficult to ask you to color code what you're adding, just so there isn't confusion- for the long term- and so you're not endlessly answering questions by community members as to which is fact and your own fluff.
~Good Hunting

Return to “Library”