An Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
TauMan
Shas'Ui

Re: A New Tau Lexicon and Tau'sia: Toward a Tau Language

Post#11 » Jan 23 2015 09:52

LATEST UPDATE:
    1. Title Change: Decided to call this the Expanded Tau Lexicon (New Tau Lexicon sounded too pretentious!)
    2. Theoretical new novel Apocalypse: Damocles, read over other posts and this one contributors to A.T.T. have added a list of tau word and expressions from the latest BL fiction. Plus a word I haven't seen before Shas'ken'to (see below)
    3. Latest version Ver. 1.3 link

Here are the latest words/expressions.[Please note I have included all the sub-parts of the word in composite words so you can see how the meanings of the words were made]:

Effu've
Effu: [comp.] 1. n. Bridge; 2. n. {colloquial} 'Landing' or 'Place where boats are beached'; 3. n. 'Ferry'
Ve: n. 'Unit' 'Section' or 'Crew'
Effu've: [comp.] 1. n. Bridgehead lit. 'Bridge section'; 2. n. 'Pontoon bridge'; 3. n. {suffix} 'Place name' + effu've – bridgehead' = 'Place Name' First Bridgehead e.g. Mu'gulath'effu've – Mu'gulath First Bridgehead [Note although the prefix for 'first' is not part of this phrase, it is implied by the placement of effu've as a suffix. All other sites would simply carry the prefixes for –second, –third, –fourth, etc.

Fu'lasso: [comp.] 1. n. {humorous} lit. 'a cursed mind knot'; 2. n. {colloquial} 'a curious calamity' or 'a political mess'(?); 3. n. {colloquial} a bureaucratic entanglement i.e. a Catch 22.

Noha: n. 'Talker' or 'Speaker'

Tau'noh'por: [comp.] 1. n. {W.c. trm.} The Tau Water Caste Manner/Way lit. 'Tau Water Speaking'; The Philosophy and art of rhetoric, to include public speaking, debate, negotiation, method of delivery and propaganda.

Tau'Shas'Va: [comp.] n. '{mil.trm.} The Tau military' lit. 'The Greater Tau Fire Caste'

Shas'ken'to [Haven't seen this word before, but don't have every WD/BL book or ebook. Can someone tell me where it comes from? Thanks]
Ken: n. 'Method'
To: {suffix} acts a modifier, 'best of' or 'having the most of that (quality)].
Ken'to: n. 'Doctrine' or 'Methodology' lit. 'Proscribed or Best Manner'
Shas'ken'to: n. Fire Caste (Battle) Doctrine lit. 'Fire Caste Best Doctrine', the doctrine of the Tau military, to include tactics, strategy, deployment of forces and combined arms use on the 41st millennium's integrated battlefield.

LINK TO LEXICON DELETED - SEE POST AT TOP OF THREAD

Edited to remove link to lexicon.
Last edited by TauMan on May 04 2016 02:04, edited 7 times in total.
8th Edition is here: Keep Calm and Carry On!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Re: An Expanded Tau Lexicon and Tau'sia: Toward a Tau Language

Post#12 » Jan 26 2015 02:01

UPDATE: NEW TAU WORDS

TAU'SIAAL
Tau'siaal: [comp. & contr.] n. 'Human little tau language' i.e. The human dialect of Tau. Contraction from the term: Tau'gue'vesa'siaal. The sense here is not one of a 'lesser' language, but of a 'shorter' one; as humans don't have either the vocal range, or the ability to make all the sounds in the Tau language. Rather Tau'siaal uses 'clipped' or shortened versions of tau words, Tau-gothic hybrid words, and in some case substitutes a Gothic word for a Tau one. Along with Tau'siaal there are caste specific human dialects: Shas'tau'siaal, Fio'tau'siaal, Por'tau'siaal, and Kor'tau'siaal.

This was inspired by the story Broken Sword, by Guy Haley, discussed in the post Theoretical new novel Apocalypse: Damocles See link: http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22244&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60

Data: Here is a little more on the background of Tau'siaal, that I didn't want to put in the definition. I haven't had a chance to read Broken Sword, (looking forward to though!) but apparently if a human attains a high enough caste rank, the tau will go the extra step in modifying his or her human vocal cords. However the rest of the Gue'vesa still have to read, write, understand and (as best they can) speak Tau'sia.
So with that in mind creating for humans their own 'dialect' would be the best option. However, this wouldn't be a 'Pidgin Tau' e.g. "Blueskin man, he talk at me The Greater Good for long time." Instead it would be a dialect that was as close as possible to the standard Tau language. Certainly the tau would have their own 'Babel Fish' technology, perhaps a small ear piece that would instantaneously translate what the other person was speaking. However if one is going to learn the Tau'va then learning to read, write and speak Tau is crucial. Much the same way one learns Hebrew to study the Torah, classical Arabic to study the Koran, or Sanskrit to study the writings of the Buddha. Not being able to 'speak' the language correctly is not as critical as not being able to understand it when reading it or hearing it.

TISAN

Tisan: n. 'Tea', a tau drink made from the infusion of flower buds of the Tisanei plant in hot water. It is served hot and has much the same significane in Tau culture as tea does in many ancient terran culutres. And like terran tanna or recaff in contains caffenoid like subtances. Popular varieties include vi'tisan – red tea (highest amount of caffenoids) to tai'tisan – white tea (lowest level of caffenoids).

Data: This comes from reading the discussion thread on Courage and Honour by Graham McNeill. The red and white varieties comes from my own novella (no I am not dropping any titles here! :P). I would have used this word had I know it existed, guess I have some editing to do.

I invite anyone else with thoughts on the Tau'siaal to post their thoughts here. Also any new words you've thought up or thoughts on the Expanded Tau Lexicon would be appreciated.
TauMan out.

PS - HELP: Can someone let me show how to link back to a post on A.T.T. so I don't have to put a hyperlink code. I know there is a way to do it; but I can't figure out how. Thanks.
If you look at the upper right of a post (where it says "Posted: Monday, Jan 26, 2015, 15:01" for example), there's a small little page icon. If you right/control-click that icon, choose "Copy Link Address," that will give you the URL to the post in question. You'll know if works if the link looks like this: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?p=289581#p289581 -ST
Last edited by TauMan on Feb 03 2015 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jan 27 2015 05:18

UPDATE - MORE NEW (OLD) TAU WORDS

First thanks to whoever you are Mr. Masked Blueman! "Did he ever give you his name?" "No, but he did leave this silver bonding knife!" "High-ho Silver Away!"
TauMan wrote:PS - HELP: Can someone let me show how to link back to a post on A.T.T. so I don't have to put a hyperlink code. I know there is a way to do it; but I can't figure out how. Thanks.
If you look at the upper right of a post (where it says "Posted: Monday, Jan 26, 2015, 15:01" for example), there's a small little page icon. If you right/control-click that icon, choose "Copy Link Address," that will give you the URL to the post in question. You'll know if works if the link looks like this: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewt ... 81#p289581 -ST
NOTE I FOUND MOST OF THESE WORDS LISTED IN OLD POSTS HERE ON A.T.T. MOST COME FROM EITHER KILL TEAM OR FIREWARRIOR BOOKS. I have invented a couple of new words and the meanings to most of the old ones.

Aun'chia'gor

Aun: n. ‘Ethereal’ or ‘Celestial’, one of the seven primary elements
Chia: {archaic} n. 1. 'Table'; 2. n. 'Altar' or 'Sacred spot'.
Gor: {archaic} n. 'Round' or 'Oval shaped'
Aun'chia'gor: [comp.] n. 'The Celestial Round Table' The legendary table at Fio'taun around which the agreement that ended the mont'au occurred.

-Eo: n. {suffix} 'Aquatic creature/plant'. Has much the same meaning as -La, except it refers to all aquatic life forms invertebrate, vertebrate and plant-life alike.

Fio'toros'tai
Fio: n. Earth caste
Toros: n. ‘Area’ 'Neighbourhood' or ‘District’.
Tai: 1. n. 'White'; 2. {synonym} n. 'Death' White as the ancient colour of death [Contemporary colour is 'purple'].
Fio'toros'tai: [comp.] n. An earth caste slaughterhouse district; lit. 'Earth caste' + 'District' +'Death' = Earth caste White District.

Kisun'shas: [comp.] {derogatory} n. Blood-fire. A fire caste insult meaning 'Reckless', 'Ill-tempered' or 'Wrathful' (T.E. & F.E.). NOTE THIS IS THE SAME 'BLOODFIRE' INSULT FROM FIREWARRIOR (Only now it's in Tau'sia!)

Ky'husa: 1. {archaic} n. The whiskey-like liquor used in a Ta'lissera ceremony ritual; which is served steaming hot and served in traditional drinking bowls. [Note original meaning of expression is unknown or lost. Possible corruption of the ancient fire caste phrase: 'Ky'h'Qy'xumis' or 'Ky'h'Qy'ta'lissera'xumis'–'You and Me we are bonded (with this) Xumis! (fermented milk of the rat'laa)," an ancient toast or cheer to celebrate becoming bonded. This interpretation is however, hotly debated among water caste scholars!]; 2. {colloquial} n. Any strong drink used to celebrate a special occasion or event. Often shortened to K'husa or Xusa (depends on caste); 3. {colloquial} n. A generic term for liquor, akin such Gothic words as 'Booze' or 'Hootch'.

J'hal: [comp.] 1. {biology} n. 'Copper Mirror' lit. 'To shine like copper' [Hal is derived from the tau word Ghal – 'Copper'] A flower from the tau homeworld, that was highly prized for it's beauty, as well as its' medicinal and nutritional properties; 2. n. A high-energy drink made from nectar of the j'hal flower. The highly nutritious nectar is blended with a mixture of vitamin, electrolyte, and energy supplements; which is then used in the battlesuits and kit of the tau military. [Note some variant of j'hal has been used by tau warriors since long before the mont'au].

Qy: prn. 'You' singular or 'You' plural.

Ron'nim'me'la:
Ron: n. 'Genetics', having to do with, or pertaining to, genetics [Not from the tau word for Necron. See entry for Ves'ron].
Nim: 1. n. `Foodstuff’ or ‘Food’; 2. n. ‘Staple meal’.
Me: n. {agricultural} 'Breed' or 'Stock'.
-La: {suffix} n. ‘Being’, ‘Person’, or ‘Creature’.
Ron'nim'me'la: [comp.] n. 'Genetically engineered food animal stock' i.e. 'Clone beast'. The cloned livestock hunted by the fire caste and used for ceremonial consumption specifically for the festival of Tau'kon'seh. [Note these animals are genetically modified variants of ancestral tau domesticated livestock. There are several such 'clone beast' breeds].

Sorral: n. 'an artistic aesthetic'

T'pel: [comp.& contr.] 1. {biology} n. T'pel Shark lit. 'Shark of Pel', One of the most fearsome aquatic predators that are indigenous to the homeworld of T'au. The T'pel'tsang'eo or The T'pel Shark' is found in the waters of the southern ocean of Pel; 2. {honorific} n. Personal name meaning to be as 'fierce as a T'pel Shark' (T.E.); 3. {honorific} n. Personal name [Praise name – F.E.].

Tau'kon'seh
Tau: 1. n. ‘Earth' or 'Soil'; 2. n. The people of the Tau empire i.e. The Tau.
Kon: n. 'Field labour' or 'Agricultural labour'.
Seh: n. 'Seed pod' or 'Fruit of the crops' [May apply to any kind of fruit, nut, or grain]
Tau'kon'seh: [comp.] n. 'Harvest' Name of the traditional tau harvest festival. lit. 'Earth/soil' + Field work + 'Fruit' (Seh is a contraction of Se'hen – 'Seed pod' or 'Fruit of the crops').

Tsang'eo: [comp.] {biology} n. 'Shark' lit. Fanged aquatic creature. Tsang – 'Fanged' + 'Eo' = Shark [Note -Eo is similar in meaning to the suffix -La, except that it means 'aquatic creature'].

Ui'ts: [comp.] 1. {historical} n. 'Bear-dog' [Note meaning unknown(?) Possibly derived from one of the ancient tau language?] There is no terran animal that is an equivalent for the Ui'ts, often times translated as 'Bear' or 'Bear-dog' neither animal approximates the Ui'ts. (In size the animal is comparable to the extinct terran 'Grizzly Bear'). A fierce semi-domesticated animal popular with the ancient tau nomads and used to guard their herds. The civilized tau saw the Ui'ts as a symbol of the violent nature of the tau nomads; but among the nomads it was a symbol of loyalty, valour and courage. 2. {derogatory} n. Insult or derisive name among the fire caste of the T.E.; 3. {honorific} n. Personal name [Praise name – F.E.].

Ui'tsal: [comp.] 1. {derogatory/honorific} n. 'Little Bear-dog' or 'Cub'; 2. {derogatory} n. Insult or derisive name among the fire caste of the T.E.

Ui'ts'e: [comp.] 1. {biology} n. A Bear-dog cub; 2. {derogatory} n. 'Bear-dog Cub' or 'Son-of-a-Bear-dog', common insult among the fire caste of the T.E.; 3. {honorific} n. Personal name [Praise name – F.E.].

Fio'sorral: [comp.] n. 'The Earth caste artistic aesthetic' [Note the sense of the expression is that of mainstream Tau artwork].

Xusa: 1. {historical} n. 'Grog', a salty blue alcoholic concoction made from watered down wine and the juices of tolkai & koki fruit. Used by tau soldiers and seamen to ward off vitamin deficiency illnesses. Usually laced with a good amount of salt to help present dehydration; 2. n. a modern variation of the traditional beverage with considerably less salt and considerably more alcohol. NOTE THIS IS THE SALTY BLUE BEVERAGE FROM KILL TEAM.

NOTE: Edited once to correct a new tau word. It's really a **BAD WORD DELETED FOR COMIC EFFECT** when I use the wrong word, after all I'm the one who INVENTED it in the first place! :::(
Last edited by TauMan on Mar 26 2015 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Feb 09 2015 11:14

Latest Update to the Expanded Tau Lexicon

Old Business:
Rechecking the latest Tau codex I discovered that the letter 'W' has been added to the tau alphabet. And guess what it's the same letter I chose! :P

Confirmed 'official' new letter 'W': Image

Now just for fun are the concepts and words of the Tau'Va or The Greater Good:

THE TAU'VA OR 'THE GREATER GOOD'
The Five Virtues
1. TangsuAltruism
2. SitquRighteousness
3. YesoleePropriety or Correct Actions
4. ErdemKnowledge or Sagacity
5. CigeciIntegrity

The Four Accompanying Virtues
1. IdegiLoyalty
2. AkilaFilial piety
3. LynuConstancy or Steadfastness
4. YonPatience

The Three Heroic Traits
1. Yesuto: Resilience i.e. Toughness, Reliable, & Frankness,
2. Begei: Courage, Bravery
3. Auxa: Strength, Endurance

The Two Complimentary States
1. Doran: Calmness/Stillness – At Rest
2. Kœdel: Action/Transition – In Motion

"May you live for a thousand tau'cyr!"
Last edited by TauMan on May 04 2016 02:06, edited 2 times in total.
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Mar 22 2015 08:53

LATEST UPDATE: NEW TAU WORDS

Bondgor'la: n. {zoology} A tree dwelling rodent similar to the extinct terran chipmunk, but having a short furry tail and dun, black or gold fur.

Firbi'la: n. {zoology} A breed of large tau felinid similar to the extinct terran leopard. Several species exist the Fibri'Fal'laforest leopard and Upt'Fibri'lamountain leopard.

Heiino: 1. n. {agriculture} An animal resulting from the cross breeding of species. For an example a mule would be called heiino, since it is created by breeding a male horse to a female donkey; 2. adj. An unnaturally cross bred person or animal [Note refers to children resulting from an incestuous mating]; 3. n. {derogatory} 'Half-breed' A person of mixed caste ancestry or having a severe birth defect i.e. 'an abomination' [The sense here is of a half-caste or half-breed].

Kinukar'la: [comp.] n. {zoology} ‘Jackal’, a caniformia (canid-type) animal indigenous to T'au. The Kinukar occupies the same ecological niche as the extinct terran coyote (Canis latrans), which it resembles in size; but the Kinukar's physically appearance most closely resembles that of the terran dingo (Canis lupus dingo).

Qulaxa'la
: n. {zoology}, ‘Field Mouse’ A small tau rodent similar to (still thriving in the 41st millennium!) terran mouse. Having large eyes and a wide variety of fur types and colours.
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Apr 03 2015 08:11

WANTED: RESEARCHERS, CONTRIBUTORS AND LEXICOGRAPHERS!!

The Expanded Tau Lexicon (ETL)is getting to be real BIG project, much bigger than I imagined! There was initially some interest when I first started this, and the thread still gets lots of views; but I need help!

First: RESEARCHERS
There are still a lot of tau words canon missing from the Lexicon. By canon I mean tau words appearing in various GW, Black Library and Fantasy Flight publications. Rogue Trader has several words that I just found out about; and I don't own or have access to it, or many other of the published sources out there. I and need help locating them and cross checking the ETL to see if a missing tau word is already there or if needs to be added.

Second: CONTRIBUTORS
I would like others to jump in here and invent some tau words of their own. This is really a lot of fun and someone else should be having fun too! There are so many possibilities:
Subject Areas: Art, Military History, Physics, Psychology, Astronomy, Folklore.
Caste dialects: Air, Earth, Water, Fire, Ethereal (a spattering of Eldar?)
Sept dialects (Regional/Ethnic): Bork'an, Daly'th, Tau'n etc.
Related subjects: Tau Calligraphy - Modern and Ancient, Tau Alphabets (plural, again Ancient and Modern), Tau Mythology and Folklore!

Third: LEXICOGRAPHERS
It's a lot of work to keep all the words, terms and expressions in the right place and proper order. I need folks to cross check words and parts of words, check consistency of spelling as well as the lexicon format, layout and design. Even a couple of part-time folks would help a great deal.

So here is what I'm asking for is you to join the Lexicon team and together we can all further the cause of the Tau'Va - The Greater Good!

NEW RESEARCHERS: Any one who comes across a 'new' tau word in a publication can post them here (please cite where you found it example: Rogue Trader, Fantasy Flight Games, 2010, pg. xx)

NEW CONTRIBUTORS: If you want to contribute post your new words or names post them here on the thread or send me a PM.
If you are interested in becoming you send a PM and send me your email address.

NEW LEXICOGRAPHERS: Just send me a PM and let me know what you want to work on!

Thanks - For the Tau'Va!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Apr 07 2015 01:38

I'd be willing to help, but I'm in Turkey... Which is spotty right now.

I'll check in once I return- I did a quick search of my name "calmsword" and found some links to the work I did back during Medusa V (it's hard to find since the fiasco at the end of all that- those long in the tooth should remember)

https://archive.moe/tg/thread/20994865/

2 of 5
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/a ... 131522.pdf

I'll keep hunting around, maybe these bones can help build something new.
~Good Hunting

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Apr 07 2015 03:26

Hey TauMan,

Looking through some older posts here on ATT- here's some canonical facts from a book called Courage and Honor, one of the most recent campaigns after the Zeist Campaign that halted the 3rd Spheres advance into human space.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13336

Would it be too difficult to ask you to color code what you're adding, just so there isn't confusion- for the long term- and so you're not endlessly answering questions by community members as to which is fact and your own fluff.
~Good Hunting

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#19 » Apr 07 2015 08:19

Calmsword: I believe it's right in the beginning of the document it mentions the colour code. Right now anything not highlighted is 'canon' while anything highlighted in pale blue or orange is fan created. Any term without a 'translation' is highlighted in yellow.

The highlighting should show up on the pdf, if it does not it maybe it's your pdf reader. Having an Adobe Acrobat is always the best. Does any of the highlighting show up when you open the document?

One other bit of data, some canonical words while not highlighted, but may have a translation or additional meaning, which then shows up highlighted in blue or orange. Have been wondering if highlighting text is the best way to show the difference? I wanted to stay away from coloured text and avoid italics or bold, as currently the lexicon uses bold and italics as part of the entry format.

Let me know if you're able to see the highlighting if you change pdf readers or if there is still a problem?

PS If you were thinking about the tau words posted in the thread, I list them as I get them. I don't make a distinction except in a note in the post as to whether or not they are canon. TauMan
Edited to add link and comment.
Last edited by TauMan on May 04 2016 02:06, edited 6 times in total.
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Apr 16 2015 08:25

Meanings Unclear

Need help with the following words. Silly me didn't realize that not all the Tau words from the Tau Lexicon on the Lexicanum website were included in the Living Tau Xenolexicon on the A.T.T. website. Also that there are different translations. If anyone can help clear this up it would be appreciated!
Thanks TauMan

Snae'ta: Unclear: "A snae'ta gue'la cauterised" the wound of a Tau prisoner. A (Tau) mighty general and a powerful fighter, but a snae'ta nonetheless." Anyone have an idea what this word means? (Comes from the Firewarrior novel)

Tau'fann: An age-old address for members of alternate castes (From Firewarror novel)

Keep coming across variations of this term: Por'fann, Fio'Fann, Kor'fann.

Does Fann therefore mean caste? And so does Fio'fann mean: Earth caste? Or Por'fann mean water caste?

Living Tau Xenolexicon give this translation:
Sio't: Premeditated aggression’.

But the Tau Lexicon from the Lexicanum gives this translation:
Sio't: Always referred to as "Sio't meditation" (several kinds). Unclear: mantras, prayers? (From Firewarror novel)

Fio'tak, Fio'tek and Tak

The Tau Lexicon from the Lexicanum gives this translation:
Fio'tak: Unclear: machine?, console? mechanical? electronic? metal?

Fio'tek: An earth caste building material?
Keep encountering the word Fio'tek in fans stories on A.T.T. is this word related to Fio'tak?

But note the Living Tau Xenolexicon gives this meaning
Tak: “Explosive”

Does the tau word: Fio'tak then mean “Earth Explosive?”
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Return to “Library”