An Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
n1md4
Shas'La

Re: An Expanded Tau Lexicon and Tau'sia: Toward a Tau Language

Post#31 » Dec 16 2015 09:49

Been very busy recently, so nothing interesting to report, but one quick and easy admin suggestion: that the first post be edited and have the latest edition there, and then the archived versions below.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Re: An Expanded Tau Lexicon and Tau'sia: Toward a Tau Language

Post#32 » Dec 31 2015 03:49

Dear Tau'fann:
Happy New Year - and yes I wasn't going to post again in 2015, but there were just to many new canonical words (and new-new words as well ) added in the last month that I couldn't wait until February to share them. Lots more words from Firewarrior by Simon Spurrier, Shadowsun by Braden Campbell.

Here is the link: http://docdro.id/viTseYz

Tau Number Words (Finally, right?)
0. Tsaa
1. Neg
2. Xor
3. Gur
4. Dor
5. Tav
6. Zurg
7. Dolu
10. Niam*

*Remember it's an eight based numerical system

Have a Happy T'pre'ta! :D (Have a 'Safe and Sane' holiday. So don't going blowing yourselves up with those firecrackers! :dead: )

The TauMan Abides

;) And for those who need a little extra, here is special phrase in tau'sia for you: "M'lthe'gue'la P'eurk'tugrii'ea" - The Gue'la don't know ___! (Look it up)
8th Edition is here: Keep Calm and Carry On!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Re: An Expanded Tau Lexicon 2016

Post#33 » May 04 2016 02:26

The Expanded Tau Lexicon 2016 version 1.0 Has Been Published!

Note on the Expanded Tau Lexicon 2016 ver. 1.0 – the Most Canonical Tau Lexicon!
As of the date of publication of the 2016 Expanded Tau Lexicon, we can say that this is the most comprehensive and concise Tau lexicon available in the English language. Yes, there are other lexicons out there, but most are static and not updated. Often the definitions given are incorrect or incomplete. The Expanded Tau Lexicon is meant to be a living document and is updated with new canonical words and definitions; as well as corrections on a regular basis. Not something that occurs with any other lexicons. Furthermore many of these terms were laid out and defined in discussion threads on A.T.T., and we are very thankful for the work of all of those who contributed to so far to this lexicon.

Where is the link to the Expanded Tau Lexicon 2016 verison 1.0?
From here on out the link will always be at the top of the thread. As the lexicon is updated, an announcement will be posted here on the discussion thread. I apologize for waiting so many months to get the next update published, but searching for work and writing for the Into Silence series has taken up my time.

PS No more whining about 'how canonical or not' the Expanded Tau Lexicon is. It's the most canonical Tau lexicon out there period. :( TM
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#34 » Jul 03 2016 07:15

I just finished reading some old White Dwarves and realized something new about Tau referencing themselves as a race:

Yes, 'Tau' but also 'Tau'O/Tau'La'- they reference their entirety of the expectations for their rank.

I thought that was cool and since i'm using this resource so often, Tauman, hopefully this addition helps.
~Good Hunting

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Jul 07 2016 11:18

Calmsword great post!

What number WD did you find that in? I probably have it and would like to look it up.

Thanks
TauMan
Last edited by TauMan on Oct 09 2016 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Ro'Kunas
Shas

Post#36 » Oct 08 2016 07:18

Having Trouble finding the letter Q equivalent! According to most sources I've found, there IS no letter corresponding to 'Q' in the Tau alphabet, yet in the Living Tau Lexicon (Which I adore) there are several words that start with Q or list it as a letter in a word!
Say what?!
Mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy
Puretide

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#37 » Oct 09 2016 01:26

Ro'Kunas wrote:Having Trouble finding the letter Q equivalent! According to most sources I've found, there IS no letter corresponding to 'Q' in the Tau alphabet, yet in the Living Tau Lexicon (Which I adore) there are several words that start with Q or list it as a letter in a word!
Say what?!

The Q letter is not the only one. From memory, (C,K,Q),(F,S) And others have the same tau glyphs.
I think that the imperial transcription (by tau or imperial translator) uses the different Gothic letters based either on a complex system of rule, artistic license, or indifferently one for another.
This is not an isolated example.
Chinese language (mandarin) uses two transcription systems in French ( for example, the old, from occidentals "Pekin" and the new from chinese system "Beijing").

Jefffar
Shas'Vre

Post#38 » Oct 09 2016 07:00

Japanese also has several different accepted transcriptions into English. Of course this is complicated by the Japanese having 3 different writing systems.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#39 » Oct 09 2016 12:55

Ro'Kunas wrote:Having Trouble finding the letter Q equivalent! According to most sources I've found, there IS no letter corresponding to 'Q' in the Tau alphabet, yet in the Living Tau Lexicon (Which I adore) there are several words that start with Q or list it as a letter in a word!
Say what?!

As Kael'yn points out, there are a few letter overlaps. The modern codices specifically point out the overlap between C/K and F/V. Knowing that, I would think that the C/K character would be acceptable for Romanized Tau words with "Q".

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#40 » Oct 09 2016 02:02

After checking the sources, Q and Z are the both letters missing (even if I don't remember a Tau word with a Z).
In my font I used C/K for Q and S for Z (their phonetical values are somewhat identical, like F/V and I/Y).

Return to “Library”