An Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
n1md4
Shas'La

Re: An Expanded Tau Lexicon and Tau'sia: Toward a Tau Language

Post#31 » Dec 16 2015 09:49

Been very busy recently, so nothing interesting to report, but one quick and easy admin suggestion: that the first post be edited and have the latest edition there, and then the archived versions below.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Re: An Expanded Tau Lexicon and Tau'sia: Toward a Tau Language

Post#32 » Dec 31 2015 03:49

Dear Tau'fann:
Happy New Year - and yes I wasn't going to post again in 2015, but there were just to many new canonical words (and new-new words as well ) added in the last month that I couldn't wait until February to share them. Lots more words from Firewarrior by Simon Spurrier, Shadowsun by Braden Campbell.

Here is the link: http://docdro.id/viTseYz

Tau Number Words (Finally, right?)
0. Tsaa
1. Neg
2. Xor
3. Gur
4. Dor
5. Tav
6. Zurg
7. Dolu
10. Niam*

*Remember it's an eight based numerical system

Have a Happy T'pre'ta! :D (Have a 'Safe and Sane' holiday. So don't going blowing yourselves up with those firecrackers! :dead: )

The TauMan Abides

;) And for those who need a little extra, here is special phrase in tau'sia for you: "M'lthe'gue'la P'eurk'tugrii'ea" - The Gue'la don't know ___! (Look it up)
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Re: An Expanded Tau Lexicon 2016

Post#33 » May 04 2016 02:26

The Expanded Tau Lexicon 2016 version 1.0 Has Been Published!

Note on the Expanded Tau Lexicon 2016 ver. 1.0 – the Most Canonical Tau Lexicon!
As of the date of publication of the 2016 Expanded Tau Lexicon, we can say that this is the most comprehensive and concise Tau lexicon available in the English language. Yes, there are other lexicons out there, but most are static and not updated. Often the definitions given are incorrect or incomplete. The Expanded Tau Lexicon is meant to be a living document and is updated with new canonical words and definitions; as well as corrections on a regular basis. Not something that occurs with any other lexicons. Furthermore many of these terms were laid out and defined in discussion threads on A.T.T., and we are very thankful for the work of all of those who contributed to so far to this lexicon.

Where is the link to the Expanded Tau Lexicon 2016 verison 1.0?
From here on out the link will always be at the top of the thread. As the lexicon is updated, an announcement will be posted here on the discussion thread. I apologize for waiting so many months to get the next update published, but searching for work and writing for the Into Silence series has taken up my time.

PS No more whining about 'how canonical or not' the Expanded Tau Lexicon is. It's the most canonical Tau lexicon out there period. :( TM
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#34 » Jul 03 2016 07:15

I just finished reading some old White Dwarves and realized something new about Tau referencing themselves as a race:

Yes, 'Tau' but also 'Tau'O/Tau'La'- they reference their entirety of the expectations for their rank.

I thought that was cool and since i'm using this resource so often, Tauman, hopefully this addition helps.
~Good Hunting

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Jul 07 2016 11:18

Calmsword great post!

What number WD did you find that in? I probably have it and would like to look it up.

Thanks
TauMan
Last edited by TauMan on Oct 09 2016 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Ro'Kunas
Shas

Post#36 » Oct 08 2016 07:18

Having Trouble finding the letter Q equivalent! According to most sources I've found, there IS no letter corresponding to 'Q' in the Tau alphabet, yet in the Living Tau Lexicon (Which I adore) there are several words that start with Q or list it as a letter in a word!
Say what?!
Mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy
Puretide

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#37 » Oct 09 2016 01:26

Ro'Kunas wrote:Having Trouble finding the letter Q equivalent! According to most sources I've found, there IS no letter corresponding to 'Q' in the Tau alphabet, yet in the Living Tau Lexicon (Which I adore) there are several words that start with Q or list it as a letter in a word!
Say what?!

The Q letter is not the only one. From memory, (C,K,Q),(F,S) And others have the same tau glyphs.
I think that the imperial transcription (by tau or imperial translator) uses the different Gothic letters based either on a complex system of rule, artistic license, or indifferently one for another.
This is not an isolated example.
Chinese language (mandarin) uses two transcription systems in French ( for example, the old, from occidentals "Pekin" and the new from chinese system "Beijing").

Jefffar
Shas'Vre

Post#38 » Oct 09 2016 07:00

Japanese also has several different accepted transcriptions into English. Of course this is complicated by the Japanese having 3 different writing systems.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#39 » Oct 09 2016 12:55

Ro'Kunas wrote:Having Trouble finding the letter Q equivalent! According to most sources I've found, there IS no letter corresponding to 'Q' in the Tau alphabet, yet in the Living Tau Lexicon (Which I adore) there are several words that start with Q or list it as a letter in a word!
Say what?!

As Kael'yn points out, there are a few letter overlaps. The modern codices specifically point out the overlap between C/K and F/V. Knowing that, I would think that the C/K character would be acceptable for Romanized Tau words with "Q".

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#40 » Oct 09 2016 02:02

After checking the sources, Q and Z are the both letters missing (even if I don't remember a Tau word with a Z).
In my font I used C/K for Q and S for Z (their phonetical values are somewhat identical, like F/V and I/Y).

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#41 » Jan 21 2017 02:50

The Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017 is now up!

Dear tau'fann of A.T.T. Wishing all you Tau'fann a good tau'cyr! Here is a partial list of the new words that have been added:

Anuk'xun'hui – Swan
Aun'ten'grii – Celestial Heavenly Beings (God/Gods)
Ch'ay - An honorific term denoting firewarriors as elite graduates of their academy.
Gua – Handsome
Gyal'alz'san – Flashy or sleek (can be derogatory as well as complimentary)
H'shon'airag – Garden of Beer (Beer Garden - a Bork'an tradition)
Mon'erra – A dark or malevolent spirit
Moq – Immersion
Oon'selt– Love bite' or 'Love nip' (a tau kiss)
Sai – Beautiful
Shu'vuu'hui – Shuvuu bird
Soh'giin'se – Honey drop
Ta'tev – 'Heart's Embrace'
Temeel'zjeen – 'Dragon-wing insect'
Tsa'railar – Handsome (male)
Tsaa'shaal – Voluptuous (female)
Tsox – Beetle
Ugaal – To fall or To drop down
Uusor – Cord or Twine
Xeer'xen – Pretty, lovely
Oshi'erra'la - Obolete word removed. Term was a duplication of another word and was therefore confusing

NOTE: This coming year it my intention to split the Lexicon into two parts, the complete Lexicon and a second smaller Lexicon of Tau Military Terms/Expressions. So that if members say, just what the tau word for 'Sun Forge' then they won't have to dig it out of the larger lexicon. This means covering all the weapon combinations, battle suits, and vehicles; some of which never had tau words associated with them. Will be creating a complete list of all Kor'vatta names and terms as well.

As the universe of Warhammer 40,000 is about to change irrecoverably with the coming of our own Age of Emprah, let us strive to keep our own small piece of it together and healthy, regardless of what side of the Dam'o'kles Gulf your on.

The TauMan Abides

EDIT: Sometimes I just can't move fast enough! :roll: Everyone should take a look at Calmswords recent post: Monkt'ka Devil. Since he is opening up the universe to Tau myth it means I have to add (sooner than I wanted) a new Tau Myth and Folklore thread. Been when working on this topic for sometime, and if you read the Expanded Lexicon, you'll see there multiple entries in both categories of folklore and myth. "Whew, things is gonna be mighty busy in the last days of the 41st millennium! Age of Emprah here we come!" TM

EDIT #2: Reviewed the folklore and mythological terms and had to redo some definitions for understanding and clarity. Removed one word as it was a duplicate of another better word. Also somehow forgot to insert one of the new words into the Lexicon. D'oh! TM :-(
Last edited by TauMan on Apr 19 2017 07:50, edited 3 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Re: An Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017

Post#42 » Jan 22 2017 02:31

Interesting new words Tauman, as always (and I do use your lexicon the mostest)

What's the etymology reasoning behind some of this? I'll probably be using Mon'erra soon!
~Good Hunting

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#43 » Jan 22 2017 02:49

Terms from Tau Folklore and Myth - The Dark Faeries

The following are broad generic terms used in the most general sense.
Ol'erra: 'A benevolent spirit' lit. 'Bright Spirit'.
Su'erra: 'A neutral spirit or spirit of unknown intention lit. 'Grey Spirit'
Mon'erra: 'A dark or malevolent spirit' lit. 'Black Spirit'. Also Da'erra or 'Dark Spirit'

Here are some more specific terms for spirits and monsters. The following order is from BAD to WORST.
Oshi'ranerra: 'Unseen Demon-Ghost' a sprite that torments its victims by breaking items, knocking over baskets of grain, letting out the farm animals, etc.
Shaserra: 1. n. {archaic} 'a vengeful spirit' -var. Shas'erra; 2. n. {folklore} 'Shas' Fire/Sun + 'Erra 'Shadow/Mirage; i.e. 'Sun-Sprite', a dangerous half-seen spirit, whose shimmering presence is associated with heat waves (heat stroke?); 3. n.`Shadowsun’ or 'a mirage';

Here we have the same spirit but with two different names; however Yaksha is also a generic term for 'bad spirit'.
Yaksha(ii): 1. 'Devil', a generic term for any malevolent spirit; 2. 'Ghoul' [Note See M'denta'la]
M'denta'la: The Undead lit. 'Un-breathing creature', i.e. a zombie or ghoul. See Yaksha.

Here again we have two terns to express the same thing - the Mont'au Daemon (Shas'la Kais in Firewarrior)
Ioi'kek'e and Noi'kek'e: 1. n. 'He-demon' and 'She-demon'; 2. n. 'Berserker', one who succumbs to battle rage.
Kinot'erra: 'Shadow-Wolf' or 'Demon-wolf', a fearsome monster that haunts battlefields and wild places. i.e. a 'Werewolf'; 2. n. 'Berserker', a warrior who surrenders to the 'blood lust' in battle.

The really bad stuff!
Ynege'kir: 'Jackal-dog' or 'Coyote-dog' The ynege'kir is much like an ogre or troll, but with an immense appetite for riches, food, alcohol, and sex.
Ranerra'm'denta: 'Un-dead Demon Ghost' lit. 'Immortal Demon Spirit', a spirit who possesses the body of a deceased person, and who then feeds on the blood and flesh of the living to sustain its presence on earth. [Most horrific demon in Tau folklore and the equivalent to a Vampire].
Yhe’mokushi: 'Beast of the Silent Hunger' A legendary creature, which is really an allegorical representation of hunger and famine. The Beast of the Silent Hunger is a huge shapeless creature which is to said to devour whole nations.

These are just the bad spirits (mostly) but when I get the full list completed I'll send you a PM before I post on A.T.T.

The TauMan Abides
Last edited by TauMan on Mar 08 2017 11:14, edited 3 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#44 » Mar 03 2017 01:42

Sorry still learning to drive the new Orbital. Accidental identical double post. :::(

TauMan
Last edited by TauMan on Mar 03 2017 04:02, edited 3 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#45 » Mar 03 2017 01:44

New Tau Words for 2017

New words (not yet in the Lexicon - will update in the next couple of days).

Arrxirax: {onomatopoeia} ‘Grrr’ The sound a tau canid makes. Example: "'Arrxirax!' she snarled baring her teethplates at him.'
Dayus: 'Gigolo' or 'male prostitute' (Wr. c.)
Dom'airag: Golden-brown beer
Erra’t’eur'ii: 1. n. ‘Ghost Tears’ or ‘Spirit Tears’ A heavy dew on the ground when none was expected. Any ground condensation; 2. {folklore} Belief that the dew was the tears of the faeries or woodland spirits; 3. {folklore} ‘A portent of danger or calamity’ An ancient belief that condensation inside a building was the tears of a deceased person. Seen as warning from the deceased.
Eruk: ‘Dung’ or ‘Excrement’
Eutree: {anatomy} the vagina. [Note this an anatomical expression and is not vulgar.]
Gan’ro’is: 'Steal the Mind Technique'. In this technique the swordsman redirects the opponent’s attention, by the means of a simple strike into the attack. The momentary pause that results was all that is needed to stop the opponent, and then either strike or throw them.
Tulgaa: {anatomy} the posterior or buttocks. [Note this an anatomical expression and is neither vulgar nor insulting]
Grath’im’la(ii): {biology} Term for any number of tau small prime-ungulate (primate) i.e. ‘a monkey’. Like the higherprime-ungulate cousins the Tau, the grath’im are bipedal and have hoofed feet, but also may have tails or small horns. -var. Grath’im.
H’acaya’vre’nan: {historical} Sword Master
H’r’jida’Tau’va: {historical} ‘The Lance of the Tau’va’, title of Shas’O’Shaserra.
H’tsaya’shayii: {expression} ‘Winds of Fate’
H’vre’nan’la: ‘Experienced swordsman’ lit. ‘Swordsman of experience’ or ‘Veteran Swordsman’
Ka’t'cova’toig: ‘Knee Shatter’ or ‘Kneecap’ lit. ‘To strike and shatter the knee’
Ka’t'cova’toxoi: 'Elbow Shatter’ or ‘Amputate the arm’ lit. ‘To strike and dismember the elbow’
Kisun'aloh: 'Dead-dead' literally 'Ice Blood' or 'Cold Blood'
Meem: {anatomy} – an engorged mammary gland of a Tau female.
Mo'dac'ca: {expression} “Mordakka” a borrowing from the original Be’gel language. Meaning to require additional firepower, or if having an insufficient amount of firepower, to request more. [Note refers to the “quantity” not the “quality” of rounds fired.] [F.E. F.c.]
Rat’laa’erra: {folklore} ‘Ghost Horse’ or ‘Faerie Horse’
Sinya: 'Woman's chest' or 'pectoral muscles'
Sinya’meem: {anatomy} a tau woman’s breasts. [Not a vulgar term - requires both sub-words]
Shas'onei: 1. {expression} Flame Eyes or Fire Eyes; 2. Personal name.
Shoniiye: Night time
Shone: Night
Tsaya: Luck, happenstance, or serendipity
Tsebu: Cute, adorable
Tsebuhoi: Cute-ish, cutesy, (comparable to the Japanese word kawaii)
Tetim’t’ran: {expression} 'Crown of my Heart/Soul'
Toig: 'Knee cap'
Toxoi: 'Elbow'
Volgan: ‘Steel’ contracted from older 'Vold'gan' – Steel
Volgan'aloh: 1. 'Cold Steel' ; 2. Personal name.
Xuvi: Allotment', 'Ration', 'Measure', 'Share'
Xuvi’tsaya: 'Fate', 'Luck', or 'Destiny' lit. ‘Measure of Fortune’
Yonai’nan’is: {martial arts} 'The Blade is Patient' technique.

The TauMan
Last edited by TauMan on Apr 08 2017 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#46 » Apr 19 2017 09:01

More New Tau Words for 2017

New words not yet in the Lexicon yet! **Sigh** I promise to update this week! :?

Avarga: n. 'champion'
Da’karra: n. ‘incident’ lit. ‘unclear picture’
Dalain: n. 'sea' or ‘mid-sized salt sea’ [Think the Black Sea or the Red Sea of ancient Terra].
En’kai: n. 'a large fresh water inland sea' [Think the Great Lakes of ancient Terra].
En’yoe: n. 'any fresh water lake'.
Gak’hai: n. 'porpoise'
Himoya: adj./n. 'Protector'
Idegi’oen: adj. 'loyal' as in ‘the most loyal’
Ire: n. 'inlet'
J'cha: {expression} ‘intention to reverse’
Kaigi: n. 'sea', a small salt sea [Think the Caspian Sea of ancient Terra].
Kenyu’jev: n. 'confederation'
Koe: n. 'bay'
Kuni: v. ‘to expand’, ‘to stretch’, ‘to widen’
Nahan: n. 'whale' a generic term for all T’au aquatic cetaceans
Nahan’jal: 1. n. ‘a whaling harpoon’; 2. n. {honorific} name ‘Whalespear’.
Oeki: n. 'ocean', as in a large salt sea [Think the Mediterranean Sea of ancient Terra].
Ooen: adj. ‘true’ or ‘genuine’
Oonench: n. ‘fidelity’
Sari'galaho {expression} ‘sparks [of] bright colours’
Sjalan: n. 'harpoon'
Seree: n. ‘a three prong fishing spear’ or ‘a trident’
Tserlagh: adj. 'bane of' or 'curse of' as in the expression, Tserlagh’t’Be’gel – The Bane of Greenskins
Ume: n. 'cove'
Vase: v. ‘to colonise’, ‘to settle’, or ‘to conquer’
Vase’kuni: {expression} ‘Colonial expansion’
Wan: n. 'gulf'
Xalim: n. 'whale', a specific breed of T’au aquatic cetaceans [similar to toothed whales of ancient Terra]
Xairyn: adj. ‘endearing’

Terms Expressions not previously in Tau'sia
Koe’mu’galth: Mu’galth Bay
H’Va’Mont’Kenyu’jev: Great War of Confederation
Viro’los Vasii: Farsight Enclaves lit. ‘The Vior’los Settlements’
Wan’dam’o’kles: Damocles Gulf

Tau Words for First, Second, Third etc.
Tsa’em: Zero [meaning 'having no placement' or 'didn't place']
Neg’em: First
Kor’em: Second
Gur’em: Third
Dor’em: Fourth
Tav’em: Fifth
Tsur’em: Sixth
Dol’em: Seventh
Nia’em: Eighth
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#47 » Apr 19 2017 07:52

The Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017 2.0 is now up!

Yes, the latest installment with all of the new words added is now available for download! :D
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#48 » Apr 24 2017 06:16

Top stuff, thanks Tauman!

Return to “Library”