Archivist: Warzone Damocles

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Re: Archivist: Warzone Damocles

Post#19 » Oct 30 2015 02:11

knightofthewr wrote:
Lyi'ot wrote:
Bitterman wrote:From the quote, it's not actually clear whether that's a translation. Imagine if it said, "the Eldar 'mind science'" - the sentence would still parse, wouldn't it? So ghu'lach could actually refer to a race or group or thing that has 'mind science'...

If it said "ghu'lach, or 'mind science'", that would clearly be a translation. From what's written there, I'm not so sure?
While I understand completely where you're coming from and desperately want you to be right, this is a common trope in BL writing the tau: use a xenos word, then immediately translate it, regardless of context or listener. :sad:

In addition several of the authors also take some loose liberties with the tau language and in part that is what makes the passage confusing, because it could very well be the author's attempt at a race or species that uses mind science. it is really unfortunate.

In this case, it is White Scars shooting lightning from a side door of an air-craft, so if it referred to a species, it'd be the Space Marines.

It's possible there is some corruption in my copy of Kauyon, as I had to rename the file before it would function. A total of four images do not load correctly later in the book, when the book details sept colors (copied in the codex, I covered that info in the codex and Calmsword covered some of it before my first post). I suppose text corruption is possible, and that "ghu'lach" is supposed to be "gue'la," however that seems like a real long shot.

It could just be an expletive or something.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#20 » Nov 05 2015 03:49

I don't think Ghu'lach would be space marines, since they liberally used gue'ron'sha for them, even when referring to the space marine hunter missile tracking Sternshield (a similar grammatical situation). It also isn't likely that they would identify psykers as a different 'race' than Gue. I think this is their way of translating it for us.

As for Aun'va, I find it hard to criticize his decisions. Tau are fairly isolated, they have to grow and unite the stars under the Tau'va. Especially if they are going to have a chance at repelling the coming Tyranids. It is a duty they are called to fulfill, even if it is a hard one.
There is pretty much only one way to grow, and the longer they wait, the less time they have to prepare for the true Hive fleets.
But even if you don't use the Y'he as an incentive, Aun'va knows that the Gulf is not a barrier for Humanity like it is for Tau. If they just sit on their side of the Gulf, eventually the Imperium will try again in greater force and there may not be a convenient Hive Fleet to halt the attack. Tau need footholds on the other side of the Gulf, even just as a buffer for the Homeworlds.
If the Titan will wake up one way or another, you might as well wake him up on your terms and gain some ground with the surprise before he starts hitting back.
Naturally, this is all speculation since it isn't spelled out for us. But I'd like to think Aun'va has his reasons. He at least read the Imperium's retaliation strike correctly (Mu'gulath Bay). Of course, he also basically told Shadowsun to get herself killed, which could either mean he wanted her to die or he knew she would survive one way or another...

I have a list of names from the book that came with no translations. For posterity:
m=male, f=female, u=unknown.

Ishu'ron - u. Fio weapons scientist
Tu'volan - u. crisis
Shue'la - f. stealth (died as Shadowsun's decoy to lure Ravenguarg Chapter Master in)
Aun'Do - m. ethereal
Aun'shen - m. ethereal
Shas'nel Kos'ul - m. fireblade
Fyos - f. striker
Den'ul - m. striker
Meion - u. pathfinder
Jun - m. pathfinder
Kasu - u. pathfinder
Vu'an - u. striker
Dovos - u. breacher
Vass - m. stealth
Nevun - f. stealth
Vollessa - u. stealth
Jesol - f. crisis
Lais - m. crisis
Korloss - m. xv88
Dasir - f. ghostkeel
Dassan - u. riptide
Aun'vessol - m. ethereal
Shas'nel Aidos - m. fireblade
Kaus - m. striker
Lacross - f. striker
Haido - m. breacher
Dau - m. pathfinder
Nai'vo - u. pathfinder
Manto - u. striker
Lauss - u. striker
Tassar - f. stealth
Fasil - m. stealth
Vosai - m. crisis
Maisos - f. commander
Daisos - u. striker
Dvros - u. striker
Taiss - m. striker
Nyss - u. pathfinder
Porai - u. striker
Losad - u. breacher
Fyra - u. pathfinder
Goshi - u. pathfinder
Shen - u. striker
Vess - u. breacher
Dossol - u. pathfinder
Hyro- u. pathfinder
Kes - u. breacher
Ylos - u. pathfinder
Krel - u. striker
Fylot - u. breacher
Nos - u. pathfinder
Fasul - u. striker
Gnos - u. striker
Ferel - u. pathfinder
Tydu - u. striker
Jer'em - u. breacher
Fros - m. striker

On another note, I am wondering if this is the first mention of the Malk'la ritual? This is the first I read of it, but I am not as learned as I'd like to be in Tau culture and language.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#21 » Nov 05 2015 03:51

Da Skyman wrote:On another note, I am wondering if this is the first mention of the Malk'la ritual? This is the first I read of it, but I am not as learned as I'd like to be in Tau culture and language.
It was introduced in the 6th edition codex.

Bitterman
Shas

Post#22 » Nov 06 2015 06:27

Da Skyman wrote:On another note, I am wondering if this is the first mention of the Malk'la ritual? This is the first I read of it, but I am not as learned as I'd like to be in Tau culture and language.

No, it's been mentioned before - at least in the 6th Ed Codex, and I think all the way back to our first Codex as well (not 100% sure about that though) - [edit] Lyi'ot says not, so there you go. [/edit]. It's in the section about Tau Commanders not being respected or glorified for pyrrhic victories or last stands, as they might be in other races.

It's generally assumed to be the Tau equivalent of seppoku, though may not be as lethal as that. Or, heck, it could be the Tau equivalent of the Slayer Oath, or even the Dwarf engineer's Trouser Ritual - I don't think it's ever been explicitly stated? Unless this book goes into more detail, I've not read it yet...

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Nov 07 2015 02:03

It's generally assumed to be the Tau equivalent of seppoku

I've always thought of it as something far worse than ritual suicide but demotion. If it's true that an Ethereal could 'will' a Tau to kill themselves, for the Greater Good, then I think something that would be dreaded by a Commander isn't death- but disgrace. Currently we've never heard of a Shas'O being brought down to a Shas'El/Vre ect. so perhaps the Malk'la ritual is the admittance of the leadership that 'you' were not up to the challenges of command and that 'they' were incorrect in bestowing upon 'you' such a responsibility.

So I agree with your theory it might be something along the lines of a Slayer Oath since we've got Monats.

Either way, there are no explicit explanations of the Malk'la ritual.
~Good Hunting

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#24 » Nov 07 2015 11:27

Calmsword wrote:I've always thought of it as something far worse than ritual suicide but demotion. If it's true that an Ethereal could 'will' a Tau to kill themselves, for the Greater Good, then I think something that would be dreaded by a Commander isn't death- but disgrace.

Historically, the purpose of seppuku is precisely to avoid shame and preserve one's honor. It is often a byproduct of honor and disgrace. Fear of death is not really a factor in the equation.

Ritual suicide is a topic that has popped up in the fluff a few times; notably the quote regarding an Ethereal asking one to, and the FSE regarding the life-stealing nature of the Dawn Blade. With these mentions and deepening (if sometimes superficial) parallels to Japanese culture, I think assuming the malk'la to be a suicide of some kind is fairly reasonable. Until any evidence of the contrary is seen, at least.

Doombringer
Drill Shas
Drill Shas

Post#25 » Nov 07 2015 12:14

On the topic, I don't think death or demotion are inherently disgraceful.

Demotion is a celebration of a tau finding their niche in society. Death is a tau spending their life for the Greater Good.

What would be disgraceful is failing in one's duty, either to accomplish some mission by falling victim to preventable courses of action, or to ensure the lives of those entrusted to you aren't wasted.

A far more disgraceful act would be the erasure of a tau's legacy, history, or deeds (a la Farsight). The ceremonial removal of a tau's scalp lock - interwoven as it is with an individual's campaigns and service record - might serve as a symbol of the tau being shamed and forgotten by the rest of the Empire. Left behind for straying too far from the Path.

That said, with the Empire's penchant for rehabilitation vice outright punishment, there are likely numerous ways to return to the good graces of the Aun.

It's also possible the malk'la (in even more extreme cases) is a symbolic act of the tau removing him or herself from the Empire through ritual combat or suicide-by-combat. It is known that tau suffering from battlesuit neurosis will sometimes become aware of their condition and voluntarily assume the role of a Monat in the close-range Soul Cleanse configuration, knowing full well that they are no longer capable of operating as part of a team. Being appointed to lead or participate in a Farstrike Battlesuit Force is seen as a great honor, but I imagine that other occasions to form such a force may have less noble origins, along similar lines.

Riault
Shas

Post#26 » Nov 10 2015 05:33

I find it interesting that Shadowsun who was supposedly brainwashed by Aun'va to hate Farsight is suddenly using the Mirrordex. Leaving aside the stuff from the Farsight novel it makes it look like she might not quite believe his status as a distrustful traitor. Her subordinate Sternshield seemed willing to accept it as well. They've always sort of implied the reason the Enclaves haven't been attacked by the Tau Empire is because their attempt to brand Farsight a traitor did not really take but Shadowsun was supposed to be one of the few that believed it I thought.

aracerssx
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Nov 10 2015 05:36

I approve this ^^

Return to “Library”