ZERO HOUR...

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

ZERO HOUR...

Post#1 » Mar 31 2016 04:13

ZERO HOUR

Time: Zero Hour + 39 A.T.T. Orbital
Deck: Entertainment and Recreation Circle – Deck 12

Por'Vre'Idegi sat sipping his ka’feon and eating slowly his j’hal nectar pastry. Across the table from his sat his companion Por'Ui'Akila who was just finishing his kweegee beest kab-bob.

“It appears everything is…normal here on the Orbital. Just another day of duty, business, and intrigue,” said Idegi.

“Wha…t’oh? Why yes, as it always is around this time of tau’cyr. Everything is normal. But there is something else Vre’Idegi?” asked Akila now picking up his own bowl of ka’faeon.

“Well, everything is just…well you know….quiet,” replied Idegi with a sigh, but then pointing out the wide crystal portal into space said, ‘Everything is quiet out there…”

Outside the service and repair drones went about their business around the exterior of the A.T.T. Orbital. Kor’vatta vessels came and went, some docking and unloading their cargo; while others now empty pulled away to head off to their appointed launch distances.

All in all an unremarkable day on the Orbital.

“Yes, too quiet,” answered Akila.

Last edited by TauMan on Mar 31 2016 06:31, edited 2 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: ZERO HOUR...

Post#2 » Mar 31 2016 04:47

Time: A-Hour + 30
Location: ATT Orbital, Lower Concourse, green sector, launch bay 420

Secure Transmission to K-42 wrote:Kor'vattra fleet K-42, this is Da'Anuk. Time is officially A-Hour + 30. Attack on orbital imminent. Proceed to stand-by positions and prepare to transit in-system. On signal, commence with Kau'yon operation.

Shas'O'T'au Kais'ka'Eoro Da'Anuk finished his regular scheduled communication burst to the fleet, hidden safely out of the system where they would be invisible to any enemy scouts that might already be near the orbital, and continued to pace around the hangar bay. He inspected infantry teams, weapons, supply caches, prepared field hospitals, a command post, anything that might take his mind from the creeping sense of unease that was beginning to fester inside him. Maybe they were right, the voice in the back of his mind went, Maybe the station's command staff do have things under control this year. Maybe he really was just paranoid.

But then the Shas'O remembered the second attack, by Gue'la terrorists. The attack that orbital intelligence had assured him would never happen.

The Tau commander jumped at the sudden noise of a hatchway opening, only to be confronted by the reassuring sight of his main Pathfinder team returning from their patrol through the station.

"What did you see Shas'ui? Has anything happened yet?"

"Nothing yet Shas'O, although one of the senior officers has just checked in with the station's activity registry. The recon drone is still scanning the orbital's signal communications, but hasn't picked up on any suspicious traffic.

"Well at least we'll have plenty of time to prepare this Tau'cyr. The hard part is this damned calm before the storm."

"Always the big drawback of a Kau'yon. Are we patched into the orbital's systems yet?"

"Emptyspiral hasn't reported back just yet, they're probably keeping a low profile until the shooting starts. I'd assume they've set us up by now though, they know what they're doing when it comes to cyber-ops."

"So now we just have to wait. Sir, are we sure those... free agents... in the other docking bay can be relied on?"

"They might be from the wrong side of the Gulf Shas'ui, and they might follow a loose cannon Shas'O whose actions I cannot condone, but we've had help from the Enclaves before in these battles. They'll do their best like the rest of us, and if they don't..." Da'Anuk looked back at the communication console linked to the fleet, "Well, whoever we end up fighting today, we'll have a few tricks up our sleeve."

Time: A-Hour + 37
Location: Bridge of the T'au'Il'fannor'B'Kyse'Kais'Y'eldi'Aloh (Serenity)

The bridge was abuzz with a chaotic dawn chorus of sounds from communications transmissions, beeping computers, whirring drones and bridge crew talking and relaying orders as Kor'O'T'au Kais'Y'eldi'Aloh took in the latest situation updates over a large breakfast of Tau'Shi'T'Koreth Galactic Dumplings. It had been mere minutes since the elite Fire Caste cadre, Hunter Cadre Kais'D'Anuk or the 42nd T'au Guards Cadre as it was known to the Gue'la, that they were conducting this operation with had reported in notifying its official start and already things were proceeding smoothly.

"... All ships have reported in Kor'O," Kais' chief officer was continuing, "They have successfully completed etheric transit and have formed up at their assigned locations. The carriers report that their small craft wings are being prepared for immediate take-off and all crews have been briefed and are on full alert. Provisions for non-combatant evacuees are at 95%, and are expected to be completed within the next few minutes."

"Excellent Kor'el," said Kais "Do we have any more intelligence on what the likely enemy force is or its intentions?"

"No Kor'O. Based on latest signals intelligence however our on-board analysts are predicting a major attack very soon."

"Well, the betting pool has closed now at any rate, so at least no-one will have an unfair advantage there," Kais chuckled to himself.

"Kor'O, sir, are we sure that enemy action is likely today? With all due respect, I understand the caution of you and the ar'tol, but the past major incursions on the orbital have always begun by now. I'm.." The Kor'el lowered his voice "I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the rumours they say about the Shas'O are true Kor'O. That too many hard battles might have driven him mad, and he's acting out of paranoia."

"Kor'el, that commander was the first one to notify us of the original incursion over three Tau'cyr ago. The actions of himself and the troops under his command have saved countless lives, including a revered Aun." Kais said. "Furthermore, I need not remind you that our intelligence also failed to predict a major attack two Tau'cyr ago, when the station was hijacked by Gue'la terrorists. If D'Anuk thinks an attack will happen enough to play half the T'au Shas'ar'tol against each other to manipulate this operation of his into happening, then you will indulge my sense of loyalty in following him. Especially when our orders come from the T'au Kor'ar'tol itself."

"Of course Kor'O, I'll fly with you over the edge of the world." The Kor'el said, quoting the ancient Air Caste saying from pre-spaceflight T'au.

"I'm glad to hear that," said Kais, "Depending on what happens today, you might just have to..."
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Mar 31 2016 06:16

Time: Zero Hour + 29 A.T.T. Orbital
Deck: Lower Levels

Shaking off his hands as he walks around in a circle reciting sutras from the Sio’t book of meditations, the firewarrior now draws his mont'nan the firewarrior checks sharpness of blade. Then because he has drawn the weapon, he ritually cleans the blade by sprinkling a little tai'ky'husa on it, and then wipes it down with a small red silken cloth.

"I’m getting a bit itchy down here in the lower levels of the Orbital...I don't trust those Empire tau'fann to keep us informed on what's going on," said Shas'La Rakuda.

"Now, now son don't go and get you're 'knickers in knot', the bad stuff is going to come on its on sweet time," said Bob the small abhuman cracking open an eating another pistachio nut.

La'Rakuda looked down at the fio'tak deck covered in the empty shells and nodded his head in annoyance. "Don't you dwar’ves ever clean up after yourselves?"

"Nope, that's what the drones are for son."

“Hey blu mon, jost like Mr. Bob says, don’t be worryn’ aboot the bad stuff comin’ our way!” said Bronco smashing another terran walnut on the table, the shell fragments flying around the room like shrapnel.

“Oi, there mate! Watch wif da walnut would ya!” shouted Jimmy, his red beard stained a purple from all the blue tau ponyo cherries he had been eating.

“Seriously, La’Rakuda. Last tau’cyr was a real ‘hoot’ as they say. The orbital was almost taken over by the Necrons led by Phaeron Imotekh heemself!” said Slim looking up from his work bench, the remnants of cheese and cabbage perogies still clinging to his black beard.

“Phaeron Imotekh?” said the young firewarrior.

“Were you listening there son? Yes I-M-O-T-E-K-H, Phaeron Imotekh his own damn-self!” said Bob, but then looking over at Slim shouted, “Whoa there Slim, will ya lay off the ponyo cherries! Your beard lookn’ might ‘purple’ these days!”

Slim looked down at his purple stained beard and then hands, “Blood hell me fingers is turn’ blue!”

“Hey, Rakuda…Slim is the ‘brains’ of our operation,” said Bronco smashing yet another walnut into oblivion. "Tere's nothin' left of tat one! I smashed it to nothin'.” he whined.

“Better check what’s going on from Operation HQ there firewarrior. Let’s see if your los compadres are on board the Orbital yet?”

“Yes, sir,” replied the firewarrior.

Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#4 » Mar 31 2016 06:41

Time: Zero Hour + 29 A.T.T. Orbital
Deck: Lower Levels

The Kor'Vre inclined his head slightly to peek in on the ruckus in the rek chamber, noticing several diminutive individuals relaxing with various terrestrial protein seeds. He made a quick head count and mentally noted the various equipment and consumables strewn about the compartment.

Artemis Trillium
The

Post#5 » Mar 31 2016 07:06

Sorry.. excuse, I know this is your library, but some seriously underutilised space in here.. (Signals servitors..) Yes, over there and there.

Thank you, ah.. Carry on.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Mar 31 2016 07:07

Time: A-Hour + 4:30
Location: ATT Orbital, Upper Concourse, commerce deck, Tau'Shi'T'Koreth Galactic Dumplings

Por'vre'T'au Mal'caor'Aun'T'au'Retha sat down to his fresh crispy nem and dumpling combo at a public bench surrounded by various Tau, drones and auxiliaries moving too and fro as the ATT orbital continued its business - 4 Decs in and Da'Anuk's phantom enemy still hadn't shown itself. The thought crossed his mind that he might be able to lampoon this whole mission in the latest collumn he had to write and submit before the next few Rotaa were up, there was certainly some absurdity to be had in rough tough Firewarriors armed to the teeth with enough state of the art firepower to level a city creeping around a prestigious orbital station jumping at shadows. But then the bitter journalist didn't want to make the hunter cadre he had been embedded in to look incompetent - after all, they were almost to a Shas genuinely decent Tau'faan, something that was increasingly becoming rarer and rarer in this day and age, especially in the increasingly radical Fire Caste.

Mal'caor began to snarf down the pan-fried delights. They were good enough, especially by widespread franchise chain standards, and especially since the advertising endorsement that his editor had foistered on him made them free. Still, he had to admit there were better dumplings out there, albiet none of them common - there was one small out of the way stall on Dal'yth he swore by (sometimes literally), and some of the local secret recipes he had tried in the minor septs had been things of beauty. But on a station like this, small-time family owned businesses were few and far between. Besides, a free meal was always nice.

At long last his contact sat down next to him. She was a young Por'la, and still had that wide look of wonder in her eyes that Mal'caor sorely missed. Ahh, to be young and innocent again...

"I still don't understand why we need to do all this T'olku diplomat business," she said as he offered her a dumpling "All I've seen so far suggests that nothing's going to happen at the moment."

"You and me both," Mal'caor replied "But the Shas'O wants total secrecy. Bulkheads have ears as far as he's concerned. Frankly I can't say I blame him from what I've heard of the last attacks. So what do you have for me?"

"Well, not much, and I had to go through a lot of awkward explaining to get it, but apparently a meeting between some of the top leadership of the station just went down a few Rai'kor ago. And I mean BIG. The Fio'el was there."

"Hmmm," Mal'caor said "Normally I'd say it's something to do with the rennovations they're planning, but on today? You might just be onto something there."

The Por'vre left his contact the rest of the meal and left for the launch bay. He needed to get word of this to Da'Anuk.

Besides, without that spicy dipping sauce made on the fringe colonies, it just wasn't the same...

Time: A-Hour + 4:45

The cavernous launch bay was alive with echoing clangs and shouts as ground crews and their assisting drones scrambled madly to get the veritable horde of attack craft assembled on the flight deck fuelled, armed and ready for launch as soon as the fleet broke etheric dive, while Shipboard Security cadre commanders barked orders to get Firewarrior teams into position ready to receive evacuated non-combatants when the time came. Amidst the hive of activity the three Air Caste pilots seemed to be in another dimension as they serenely strode to their craft, helmets in hand and service-issue pulse pistols in their holsters.

"Do they even know when we're going to launch?" Asked the Kor'vre on the right "I'm not sure I like the idea of spending whole Rotaa on end just sitting there boxed up inside a cockpit."

"You'd rather spend them boxed up inside a cockpit while frantically dodging and weaving trying to get a shot of while remembering to fire your manoeuvre thrusters the right way, with even the smallest crack in the hull dooming you to agonising death?" Retorted Kor'El'T'au B'aloh, the wing commander of K-42's small craft assets. "Besides, one of the Skether'qans just intercepted a suspect transmission coming from a hidden channel on the station. There was a lot of interference, but it looks like they might have bugged some of the lower decks. We've sent the word out to Da'Anuk, and he's relayed it to the nearby friendly forces. I'd say go-time is any minute."

"I just wish the threat stays on the orbital, not outside it," said B'aloh's wingman on her left. "Having to just sit there last Tau'cyr, helpless, while our brothers and sisters on the orbital were butchered without us being having the power to do anything about it was... not enjoyable."

"The Fio have all our hardware reconfigured to new computer systems now, and we've upgraded our hunter-seeker algorithms multiple times since then. I think we should be all good."

"Maybe we'll even get to try out some of those new features we had added to the Orbital during the repairs."

"Maybe we will," said B'aloh, "Maybe we will..."

The three Tau reached their distinctive green-trimmed SX-06 Barracudas and began to climb up into the open cockpits, their home away from home. As she slid into the padded seat and began the power-up sequence that was by now as natural to her as breathing, B'aloh smiled to herself. It had been far too long since she had made a real impact on the orbital...
Naked Metal

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Mar 31 2016 07:32

Time: Zero Hour + 3.8 A.T.T. Orbital
Deck: Entertainment and Recreation Circle – Deck 12

Tearing down the curved hallway along the Entertainment and Recreation Circle of Deck 12, Por'La'Yon ran past off duty firewarriors, earth caste workers and water caste merchants. She ducked under the arms of female air caste officer about to make a purchase of some alien knick-knack or another. The air caste woman and the male water caste merchant both yelled at her as she shouted back her apologies.
Sliding past the entrance to Kos’tas Kab-bobs, she then had to dig in her hooves to catch her momentum and get turned around.

“Little daughter, why the hurry? You already missed dinner with your friends. Want a kweegee kab-bob anyway?” asked the Kos’tas’kan – or Mr. Kos’tas.

“Make mine a red kweegee,” shouted Por’La Yon as she shot past the counter to the back of the restaurant.

“Of your course you like them spicy!” said Mr. Kos’tas with a wave of a blue hand.

“Your late La’Yon,” said Vre’Idegi nodding his head disagreeably at the young por’la.

“She missed-it-by-that-much!” said Ui’Akila spreading his arms out wide.

“Miss what?” said the diminutive La’Yon adjusting her pol hat as she adjusted her chair to keep herself level with two taller tau water kin men.

“Everything my dear,” replied Akila leaning over.

“It has already begun,” answered Idegi also leaning over.

“What we’re already…under attack?” whispered Yon.

“No…and yes. We’ve been bought out!” said Idegi showing her a data slate with the title: Artemis Trillium's Tradestop. Then scrolling down Yon could see an electronic copy of a ‘par’ch’mant’ from the Imperium of Man.

Reading it closely she looked up and exclaimed, “Hee-yahh, we’re under the control of an Gue’la Imperial Free Trader…Captain or whatever!”

“Apparently so, and without a shot being fired…” said Idegi.

“…Or an soldier being deployed on the Orbital,” Akila.

Hiyate!” said Yon collapsing into her chair.

Vre’Idegi and Ui’Akila now both leaned in very close to La’Yon, so that all of their pol hats touched. “My dear, now more than ever, will our special abilities be required. Are you up for…” said Idegi.

“…The assignment?” finished Akila.

“Why yes,” smiled Yon in her peculiar and devilish way.

“Thought you’d like the assignment,” said the two water caste men in unison.

From the front of the restaurant came a loud noise. It was Fio’Vre’Kos’tas screaming at the top of lungs, “You snae’ta gue’la get out of here! You no got a right to barrage in here! I-AM-THE-OWNER!”

Two gue’la men and one gue’la woman in gaudy blue uniforms and waving large pieces of parchment in from of Mr.Kos’tas face, merely laughed their weird Gue’la laugh.

<<Not any more Mr. Bluey! As of five minutes ago it’s ours!>> said a blonde bearded gue’la.

<<Shove out of here we-are-the-owner’s now!>> said a bald gue’la woman with way too many nose rings. Then in broken tau’sia said, “We owna nowz you bluey tau-man!

“I beg to differ with that madam,” said a tall water caste woman sitting at the counter. She stood up and bowing to the three gue’la.

“Whadda you gonna do now bluey zeno!” shouted the bald gue’la woman.

There was ‘CRASH’ and with a ‘WOMPF’ sound, all three gue’la found themselves outside in the hallway, either face first on the floor, or on their backsides. Looking up the saw the tall water caste woman holding their parchments.

<<Possession is nine-tenths of the law” as you gue’la say>> she said in perfect Gothic, and with that she tore the parchments to shreds.

“T’ahh it’s our counter-part from the Farsight Enclaves: Por'Ui'Vior'los'Yishi'Meii. Welcome por’fann!” said Por’Vre’Idegi bowing.

“Your welcome is accepted Por’fann,” said Ui’Yishi’Meii bowing in return.

Last edited by TauMan on Apr 01 2016 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Artemis Trillium
The

Post#8 » Mar 31 2016 08:03

Please please.. no fighting around the merchandise of our illustrious vendors! You three, get out of my sight or I"ll space the lot of you!

(Bows deeply)

My apologies Pour-Wee, please.. do explore our newly installed food market in Bay twelve..

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Mar 31 2016 08:29

<Shas'la CmdrCASh to Station Security Channel>
This is security patrol Riy'sha'ut, what's going on at Bay twelve?
We didn't get any briefing on this... gue'la food market?
This is in violation of the no-hawking rules established for the area.
Last edited by CmdrCASh on Mar 31 2016 08:44, edited 1 time in total.
Ka'ash Sept

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#10 » Mar 31 2016 08:33

The pile of crates has grown considerably here since my last patrol...

Shiny metallic capsules catch his attention

This clutter looks awfully similar to what we had stacked up this time last year. I mean, what is even in these things?

Opens capsule lid

The Watcher

Post#11 » Mar 31 2016 08:34

Helllllooooooooooooo......

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#12 » Mar 31 2016 08:35

OH GAWD!!!

Slams lid and ejects capsule

Artemis Trillium
The

Post#13 » Mar 31 2016 08:43

WOW.. I did NOT know that was in there.. You there, no.. the other hairy offworlder, of course you you idiot - there is only two humans in this bay - grab the rest of these and well, put them in containment with the Riza-Beasts.

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Mar 31 2016 08:56

<Shas'la CmdrCASh to Station Security Channel>
This is security patrol Riy'sha'ut, it's not just bay twelve. Multiple bays seem to have been re-appropriated illegally, for some bizarre mercantile purpose.
It's causing much confusion and I'm having my hands full with the gue'la manning these stalls.
They say they have permission but none of them have been able to provide any physical proof.
Hello? Central? Does anyone read me?

<mutter to self>
*Gah! Why do these things always have to happen on my shift?*
Ka'ash Sept

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El
Gue'El

Post#15 » Apr 01 2016 02:37

This food market is amazing, they have everything ... I do not know where to start!

... Sandwiches with Cadian Bacon ...
... an White Scar Wok restaurant? ...
... no, I definitively do not want to try the fancy foods from the Planet Raxacoricofallapatorius you have to offer ...
... maybe I just settle with a Krooti-Luwak Coffee from Astartesbucks ...

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Apr 01 2016 04:56

Shas'la CmdrCASh and the other members of security patrol Riysha'ut sprinted to the predesignated points specified on his HUD. Picket-lines were set, curious on-lookers escorted away from the area.
Handheld scanners swept over the cargo containers scattered and stacked haphazardly in the library, gathering data that would be sent to the Fio for spectral analysis.
Opening them would be foolhardy at this point - they could have been booby trapped, and who knows what pathogens or hazards they might end up releasing into the station environs.

As they secured the area and gue'la containers, the 'ui that had taken over and sent them their commands was now transmitting a code word back to Shas'ar'tol that sounded a lot like RED HOTEL, whatever that meant.

He still wasn't clear as to what was actually happening, but he was glad that at least someone out there seemed to be giving sensible orders that he could follow.
Ka'ash Sept

nic
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#17 » Apr 01 2016 05:24

The tattered looking kroot in the corner shook her head sadly. Krooti-Lawak! Even if you could persuade Kroot to eat vegetable muck like beans it would definitely not come out like that. Gullible Tau.

She flipped open a comms channel "keep the warsphere well clear Grandmother, they have all gone crazy again as you predicted. If you send word to cousin P'tok and his piratical followers this looks just like his plate of meat: fat rich merchants."

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#18 » Apr 01 2016 05:36

All friendly Tau and auxiliary units, great work everyone! We seem to have caught the smugglers by complete surprise, we'll need to organise a secure communications network to make sure they're thoroughly defeated.

Please reconfigure your communications links to this thread (I've been informed it's the main thread) to make sure we continue to act as a focused, cohesive force.

Good Hunting out there!
Naked Metal

Return to “Library”