The Blackgate Incident: Upcoming Local Games

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

The Blackgate Incident: Upcoming Local Games

Post#1 » May 04 2016 04:12

I've recently been asked to come up with the story and GM for a campaign that will stress the Narrative in the wake of a more traditional one at my local store- I'd love to hear what the ATT community thinks of it.

The campaign has six players:

1. Night Lords with a coterie of Fallen Dark Angels they have allied with.

2/3. An Ork Mekanic who has hired Ork Freebootas to protect his interests on the planet surface.

4. Dark Angels investigating the rumors of Fallen.

5. Space Wolves, fresh from their victory at Kvarium Alpha, they have been reunited with a warband of Wulfen who bring word of a terrible attempt by the Nightlords that must be stopped.

6. Tau Coalition who operate under the pretext that the Damocles Ceasefire still holds weight, hunt the Space Wolves who destroyed the secret base on Kvarium Alpha while monitor the Orks.

The Blackgate Incident

On the fringes of Imperial space a bright new star shown amidst the darkness roiling darkness of the Damocles Gulf. A region shrouded in mystery even to those races that traverse that expansive void, this phenomenon went unnoticed for decades before the events that would change the balance of power across the Ultima Segmentum...

Unbeknownst to even the vaunted Ultramarines, who consider the space lanes around the Realm of Ultramar their charge, there is the system of Hadex. Its star has only just been unveiled from dense primordial nebula but its history stretches back to the Dark Ages, colonized by the proto-realms that existed before the Emperor and his Imperium.

Dense jungles and endless deserts swirl about the planet surface as if painted into creation by a madman while kilometer high structures dominate the sky in twisting majesty. For the explorer who looks upon Hadex and its many moons there are only endless questions or an honest hatred for these unnatural worlds...

The Greenskins

The Orks have no history, nor do they care too, and it is unknown if they have recently come to Hadex or if they infested it during the planet's isolation near the Perdus Rift and the Damocles anomaly zones. As is often the case with the greenskins, it does not matter for they have fallen on Hadex and have begun working their species strange gift for construction. Using the colossal structures that dot the landscape the leaders of this horde are building a great fleet which, if gone unmolested, will soon have enough numbers to unleash a mighty WAAGH! on the alien kingdoms and Imperium alike.
Drawn by the activity, more and more Orks flock to the Hadex system, competing with one another even as they accelerate the completion of their great ships.

The Dark Angels

The Dark Angels are ever a secretive Chapter, indeed, the whereabouts of their many probing fleets and the Rock are unknown even to the High Lords themselves. With the appearance of more and more warp events across a thousand worlds, a mission has been sent to investigate a recent attack on the Imperial Black Fleet 'Noxum Beratos' where no less then one hundred psykers have been abducted, their handlers killed and the vessels scuttled.
Such power gone unchecked has, as history proves, been the doom of entire sub-sectors as the fragile unprotected minds of humanity are assaulted by nightmares and visions by the proximity of a psyker. Their mission has lead them to the edges of the Hadex system.

The Space Wolves

After reuniting with a warband of Wulfan, Wolf Lord Nyyro has heeded their warning of a growing threat; something horrible is growing on the archeotech world of Hadex.
The Ork threat is obvious, but the readings from the constructs the greenskins are tearing down hold a disturbing resemblance to descriptions Leman Russ used to describe the Burning of Prospero.
While the Wolves do not have the numbers for a direct assault on the planet, they must discover what the greenskins may be awakening.

The Night Lords

The forces of the rebel Legions have always understood that they could never combat their hated enemy, the Imperium, with either men or material and that the Emperor's dogs would always have the upper hand. Only with the power of harnessed Chaos can this be overcome.

Hadex revealed itself at an opportune time. With the Tyrant of Badab ascendant, the constant power struggle amongst the factions beholden to the Ruinous Powers had forced the other Warmasters to look further afield lest they be overcome and cast down before Huron's greed.

Amidst the towers of Hadex, the Nightlords have found something buried deep below the greenskins crowded surface that will give them something that will bring the Segmentum to its knees.

Plot: Hadex is home to a technological wonder; hive sized psychic attunement towers. If the Nightlords can accomplish the installment of their stolen psykers within these Golden Age archeotech, they will be able to not only disrupt the fading light of the Astronomicon, but replace it with their own dark beacon called the 'Blackgate'.

Meanwhile, if the Orks can tear the structures down, they will be able to unleash a Waagh! on the surrounding sectors already weakened in the wake of the Tyranid threat.
~Good Hunting

1st Tau Airborne
Kor'La
Kor'La

Re: The Blackgate Incident: Upcoming Local Games

Post#2 » May 04 2016 08:19

The setting seems solid! I like the information (or lack there of) that each faction is operating under. I think it would be quite neat if you could have the players experience this as well. Since you already have it written like a mystery race against time then have the players slowly discover all the facts as well. I might just be getting ambitious but I think incorporating BFG to this is a brilliant idea. You have a world with several moons and a host of ships from each faction closing in at once. It's a recipe for conflict on all fronts if I ever saw one. In short I think it's quite good! Updates as the story unfolds?

-1st Tau

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » May 04 2016 08:07

Thank you 1st Tau Airborne, the idea is to keep everyone in the dark.

For your information, and the communities, this is the endgame:

A 'dark astronomicon's construction is being attempted. By using the 100 stolen psykers and inserting them into the planet's archeotech amplifiers, the Fallen Dark Angels working in concert with the Night Lords will fling entire sectors into panic as warp travel is disrupted. The Astronomicon itself is flickering and the introduction of this new 'Blackgate' will make those who control it veritable masters of the region.

Depending on how the games go, individual players will affect the progression towards this event and it pitches even traditionally 'loyalist' factions against one another.

The Dark Angels are only interested in the secret being kept regarding the Fallen.

The Space Wolves are trying to stop Chaos directly.

The Tau, naive of such mechanations, are hoping to neutralize a Space Marine threat and an Ork Waagh!

We're aiming for the campaign to be about a month long. I'll post pictures as we get there.
~Good Hunting

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » May 05 2016 05:27

One thing that sticks out to me as an avenue to explore further is the relationship between the Dark Angels and the Space Wolf armies. The Dark Angels and Space Wolves are infamous for having a lot of bad blood between them, so you could play up a lot of those tensions and the idea that the two forces aren't entirely able to trust each other. You could even have some fun with the Night Lords and Fallen staging a false-flag operation to drive a schism between the two.

It also occurs to me that the Tau might be very interested in the archaotech lying around on the planet if/when they find out about its existence...
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » May 06 2016 01:54

You're not wrong Kakapo. The whole point of the campaign is to take it in a different direction than the 'ancient terrible weapon of doom about to be unleashed', this is an economic attack on the Imperium surrounded by a brutal, green, fist. If the narrative ends up being positive in the store (and the umbrella gaming group) this might end up

Changing topics slightly, I'd like to throw out what you folk consider about the building of a coalition.

Just like the direction of the gaming, the army lists will be 'fluffy'. The Space Wolves will number 130 Marines to represent a great company. While the game mechanic will favor Space Marines being able to recover their dead (units destroyed on a d6 roll of a 1 do not come back while Tau, for example, come back on a 4+ while Orks roll a d6 and on a 6 one Ork proves to be hardy and can begin climbing the ladder to becoming a Boss ect).

I've never really seen a full coalition and I imagine they are as varied as the Chapters themselves. Mine, for this campaign, represents a number of Commanders and cadres that operate along the area known as the Coreward Marches in the hopes of protecting the budding colonies and the fragile jump network toward the future Velk'Han Sept.

List

The Leadership

Commander Stonedance of Tash'Var: A Commander famed for her victories against repelling the Orks alongside Shadowsun in the Wars of Confederation. In the shadow war against the Imperium she now hunts Space Marines and Imperial Agents who undermine the Empire's efforts. Despite this task, Stonedance adheres to the philosophy of Hira-te, The Open Hand.
http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23412

Sub-Commander Lastblow of Tau'N: A disciple of Shas'O Kais and the way of Monat. He pilots a Crisis suit of his own design that can be adapted to any situation and can operate alone.

Sub-Commander Tideborne of Sa'cea: A traditionalist and the youngest Commander of the Coalition. He has been charged with the construction and proliferation of Tau colonies, and of course, their survival.

Sub-Commander Darkfall of N'dras: ... unknown...

Great Shaper Vanak Prok: A descendant of Anghor Prok, Vanak leads no less than three Kindreds, charged with the express mission of rooting out Genestealer threats in the newer territories.

Aun'ta'ro: Three Ethereals who serve as advisors to the Coalition.

The Fleet

While I'm not playing with BFG, I thought it would be prudent to understand the transport capabilities; One Custodian Class fleetcarrier and five capital ships. Eight Mantas and as many squadrons of Barracudas serve the Fire Castes cadres directly.

Realistic?
~Good Hunting

1st Tau Airborne
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#6 » May 06 2016 09:32

Well the combat forces seem to be in order to me! That being said a coalition is a lot more than just combat forces. If you are going for realism keep in mind things like Logistics, Sanitation, Intelligence, Air power directly connected to Shas, Air power indirectly connected to the Shas, not to mention the ships themselves which would have many departments. All of those would require their own commanders and subsequent chains of command that would be integrated into the overall coalitions chain of command. It can become very difficult to track the thread to who is actually in charge. If you want realism I think acknowledging these separate groups and maybe incorporating their touch on the other cadres could be a neat flair.

Warning I went on a rant!For a real world example I work at BAMC the largest military hospital in the US we have Troop Command which is in charge of the army personnel that work here and then we have the over all Hospital OIC which is soon to be a Brigadier General and then there are dozens of clinics each of which have their own OIC's. That is complicated enough but then you account for the fact this is a Joint Base which means we are integrated with Air Force and some Navy personnel both of which have their own chains of command which can also apply to us.

My only question mark here is about the Kroot sent to Hunt Genestealers. Don't the Kroot not like Nids? Not the type where they don't get along but the kind where they taste bad. I remember the old rule where Kroot wouldn't assault through units because they stayed in place eating the dead unless they were fighting Nids in which case they didn't like the taste. Am I right? I might be making that up I don't know.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » May 06 2016 04:35

Great idea Calmsword!

Just because I finished the update to the lexicon, I came up with some possible names for your NPCs

Suggested Tau Names: (Can keep working on these if they don’t work for you!)

Commander Stonedance – Nars’iste
Sub-Commander Lastblow – Ka’r
Sub-Commander Tideborne – Tel’du’oc / Te’xiij The first means “Tide carried” and the other “Tide borne”.

Sub-Commander Darkfall - Lots of choices here:
Tan’seri'ranon - Fading daylight
Seri’ranon - Fading light
Orui – Evening
Xaranyi – Nighttime
Da’cova – Shattering Darkness (From Da’cova’ran – meaning 'Darkness that breaks the soul' but can also mean gloom or doom.)
Da’nak – Darkness falling
M’tan – Un-daylight (Not dark, but not light either)

Open hand:
M’aiski – Un-hand or Un-fist. Aiski means hand and fist both.
Oc’hid’aiski – Open Hand

FYI note: What Sun-tzu meant by ‘open hand’ was ‘to win without fighting’; which of course means by any means other than actual combat. For Sun-tzu it meant literally, ‘Hand without the sword’. Later Japanese swordsmen used this to mean winning by diplomacy and non-confrontation. Early twentieth century Japanese martial artists turned the concept of the open hand into meaning ‘soft’ martial arts like Judo (The Gentle Way) or Aikido. Those martial arts systems where the opponent is overcome with little or no injury to himself.

Very awesome idea and looking forward to how it goes with your players.

TauMan out
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Return to “Library”