Fluff changes from I.A. 3 to I.A. 3 second ed.?

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Fluff changes from I.A. 3 to I.A. 3 second ed.?

Post#1 » May 26 2016 09:38

Greetings fellow T'au! Recently my father allowed me to read his copy of Imperial Armour 3: The Taros Campaign and i was absolutely in love with the story of Shas'O R'Myr's victory over the forces of the Imperium. However, because this copy was the original version, i felt like i was missing out on some of the fluff, particularly regarding Commander R'Alai and xv9 battlesuits.

Which leads me to my question, is there any additional fluff from I.A.3 to I.A.3 second edition?

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Fluff changes from I.A. 3 to I.A. 3 second ed.?

Post#2 » May 26 2016 10:10

Not really. XV9s and R'alai are not bought up in the fluff AFAIK.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » May 26 2016 10:28

Thanks R.D.! That's all I wanted to know. Hopefully they dive into R'Alia's background more in the new Imperial Armour book. He seems like an interesting character.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » May 26 2016 02:54

Aj'Tau you do know that Shas'O'R'myr was the Forge World guys have a bit of joke right? He's just the Tau version of a certain Service Technical Second Class Arnold J. Rimmer from certain BBC scifi sitcom. :crafty:

Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#5 » May 26 2016 03:28

Aj'T'au... A.J. Rimmer... R'myr...

TauMan, it all makes sense, now.

So, when does he get his "hard light" upgrade? And, when do we get the Rick James cat?

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » May 26 2016 05:06

@TauMan I'm aware of the poor reputation that both R'myr and R'alia have in games of 40k, but I was not interested in the rules, just their lore. Which in the case of R'myr, is actually pretty good. His tactics against the Imperium were sound and gave the Tau a decisive win as well as the planet and resources that come with it. The only part of his plan I didn't like was aggressively attacking fortified space marines as the imperium withdrew fromy the surface. I think had he just lightly harassed them on the ground and in space the Tau would have suffered less casualties, but Aun'vre was killed so they lost their cool.

R'alia however, I couldn't find much in him apart from him being and old Veteran, by tau standards, and a bit on the edge of insanity.

He is also who I was talking about in the first place so now I'm confused as to how we've switched commanders.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » May 26 2016 06:48

Aj'Tau

Your better informed than I am about the reputations of Shas'O'R'myr and Shas'O'R'alia! I didn't know the characters had any reputation, though FW stuff in general has a reputation (hate it or love it).

:smile: I was just pointing out the fun FW had with R'myr's name. Back in the early days of WH40K there were a lot of puns, inside jokes, and even a little social satire in the "grim-dark future the 41st millennium". Sadly not so much anymore. :sad:

As to the fluff (wait for it....RANT ALERT! RANT ALERT! "Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!") :dead:
Don't get me started on the confusing, contradictory and bizarre diversions into the ether that goes with the WH40K fluff! The Damocles Gulf is burning? Farsight and Shadowsun are (your choice): boyfriend and girlfriend, ex-boyfriend and ex-girlfriend, husband and wife [ta'lissera also translates as 'marriage']; Aun'Va was assassinated. The Ultramarine were BFF with the Tau Empire, but then are not? Or how about the classic: Blood Angels and Necrons double team the Tyranids?

"Whoa there big fella!"as Bob the Squat might say.

I love the 40K fluff and I like it when the fluff and the rules match-up; but it seems that most of the GW/FW folks either don't care, aren't interested; or too busy to come with anything fluffwise that is well reasoned, logical or even just plain consistent. IMHO it seems they are more interested in "pushing product", than expanding the WH40K universe. Black Library (except for Phil Kelly!) at least (most of the time) tries to create stories in the 40k universe that are a least believable.

Okay, so I don't want to hijack your thread into a discussion on the weirdness of WH40K fluff; but if anything is going to be done with either Shas'O'R'myr or Shas'O'R'alia, then I suggest that you will be the one to develop it further.

Nobody at FW or GW is going to do it! (But if they did do, it would probably be disappointing.)

DIY (Do-it-yourself) Aj'Tau!

1. Backstory: the Who, What, When and Where of Shas'O'R'ymr
2. Great achievements (earlier in his career, and then later on after the events listed in the FW fluff)
3. His School of War (Okay, don't know if the fluff already has this, but if not. Then why not invent his own unique school?)
4. How does O'R'myr fit into the great plan of the 3rd Sphere of Expansion?
5. Who are his greatest foes? Orks? Necrons? Space Marines?
6. Who is his Arch-nemesis (40K character), also who is his arch-nemesis within the Tau Empire? Aun'Va? Shadowsun? Kais?

Alright so you get the idea, if you want to see some more fluff on Shas'O'R'myr your going to have to do it yourself. There are a lot of writers here on the A.T.T. Orbital that can help you. We're all pretty friendly so just PM any of us and ask for a hand.

Really, I think we could a whole lot more HQ choices (and fluff options) than Aun'Va, Shadowsun, Aun'Shi and Farsight. Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with!

TauMan out
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » May 26 2016 07:12

@TauMan
Ah! I feel like a bit of a dunce for the joke literally having to explained to me and still not getting it. I agreeven that in the past the had a bit more fun with the fluff and the gw is mostly about pushing their product, which I can't really blame them for. It is unfortunate however because the fluff is what got a lot of us consumers to really love their product in the first place. That's why I switched from fantasy at all.

@GeogreJetson Hahaha. This post was destined to be. It has all come full circle. Years of seeminglying unrelated events that lead to this exact post. Haha.

I love the suggestion to make a backstory to R'alia. If he wasn't already from Kel'shan (hope I spelled that right) I would make him the firewarrior from the game with the same name. Unfortunately I am trying to concentrate all my efforts in to finishing enough of my army to play a game. I've had the itch for some time now and playing with subbed models or a different army just won't cut it. Perhaps when I'm finished I could start that process. I could really get behind it, having fighting tyrants on during an invasion that wipes out his hunter Cadre down till he is that last standing.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#9 » Jun 09 2016 12:38

Both versions of the book have slightly different fluff elements, but this is mostly due to changes in which statblocks are represented. For example, IA3 has stat blocks and small flavor paragraphs for Tau-aligned mining crews, epic-scale Gue'vesa commanders, and Tau vehicles that have since been added to the GW Codex, while 2E has Remoras, Hazard Suits, O'Ralai, and a few others that were rolled out after IA3's release. IA3's primary story itself remains relatively untouched, although there seems to be a few more time-stamped action reports in the original book.

O'Ralai was never mentioned in the original Taros book, but was added via FW's website as an Experimental Rules PDF well after IA3 was printed, when the Hazard models were released. When IA3 2nd Ed came out, the experimental rules for Ralai, the Hazard suits, and more FW models, "officialized," and included in an appendix of the new edition.

O'Ralai does have two paragraphs of fluff in IA3E2, atop his datasheet. Interestingly, these paragraphs are slightly shorter versions of his fluff from the now defunct, hard-to-find-if-you-don't-already-have-it PDF of his experimental rules (See spoiler below). It has been speculated that the upcoming new IA book, IA(14): Fires of Cyraxus, will feature O'Ralai. as it also seems to star his Ke'lshan Sept and their many unique suits. If you want to know more about O'Ralai, the book should be out this summer. You may want to independently verify his presence in the campaign before purchasing the book for him.

[spoiler=]Commander Vesu’r R’alai has become a legend among the grim Fire
Warriors of Ke’lshan, and is one of the Tau Empire’s most experienced
Battlesuit pilots. It is his leadership and innovation that has successfully
led the way in the controversial tactics associated with the new XV-9
Close Support Armour, and he is a strong advocate of a more ruthless
implementation of Tau’s military force. Old now for a serving Fire
Caste warrior, he began his military career with the Tau exploration
fleets, serving to protect them as they voyaged to unknown stars,
but since the backlash of incursions against the Tau Empire’s Third
Sphere Expansion, he has return to lead the defence of his home
world and its outlaying colonies. R’alai is a veteran of more than two
hundred engagements against the enemies of the greater good, and
is famed as much for his lack of fear in the face of the foe as for the
tactics that have earned him the title of ‘assassin’ among his fellows.
There are some however that whisper that the solemn warrior no
longer fights for the greater good but for vengeance for those he
has lost, and that there lurks in him the glimmer of madness and the
Mont’au. He is however utterly determined that not a single world
taken during the Third Sphere Expansion will ever fall to the enemies
of the Greater Good again, and has further staked his willingness to
die in the defence of T’au by volunteering to field test highly powered
experimental weapons systems in the very teeth of an enemy attack
even at the risk of his own life.[/spoiler]

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jun 09 2016 11:35

Thanks SinisterSamurai! That's very helpful and exactly the information I was looking for.

Return to “Library”